General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report: Trailbreaker Marathon/Half/5k (long)

Started by Aaron · · Last activity · 2 posts · 591 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 March 2004
Last activity
14 April 2004
Original author
Aaron
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
591
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Race Report: Trailbreaker Marathon/Half/5k. Where? Frame
    Park, Waukesha, WI What? Marathon (8:00am, 163
    participants), Half Marathon (9:30am, 434 participants), 5K
    (10:00am, 233 participants) My Time? (I did the 5K) 18:18.
    My Place? 3rd, 1/22 age group. Perks? T-shirt, (Marathoners
    got a LSTS) LOTS of soda, water, beer, hot dogs, popcorn,
    bagels, donuts. Inside place for sitting and socializing,
    DJ.Results: trailbreakermarathon.comtrailbreakermarathon.com

    Story time: I had a unique perspective for this morning of
    events, because in addition to participating in the 5K, I
    was also working for the people that were timing the races.
    I arrived at Frame Park in Waukesha bleary eyed at about
    6:00am, with my race bag in my car, just in case, I felt the
    need to run. After a briefing of what was to be done, we
    began work of hanging the start banner in the road, using
    only rope, one long 2x4, and stakes. Don't ask how it was
    done, but it was easier since last year's high winds yielded
    to this years milder breeze. Next, around 7:30, I worked on
    laying out the chip mats for the start line, while another
    tuned the mats to the timing system. At 8:00, we saw the
    start of the marathon, which is always fun. After the smoke
    cleared, and the pat-pat of the shoes was further off in the
    distance, I worked on getting the finish line set up, mostly
    the ever-important timing mats. Which for some reason, keep
    getting heavier as I moved them. (They are about 90lbs, dead
    weight). After the finish line was done, I went inside for a
    breather, and noticed the chaos that was the registration
    area. Apperently, the nice weather brought about 30% more
    runners than last year, and a lot of them felt the need to
    run the half marathon, which was probably the most
    competitive race of the day. So, I helped over there,
    running for t-shirts and chips for the registering runners,
    and then got in line myself and signed up for the 5k. I
    figured my boss would let me have a little break after the
    start of the 5K and before the people that were running the
    Marathon/Half/5K started finishing. I headed back outside to
    make sure the started of the Half went smoothly ("smoothly"
    means that all runners have stepped on the chip mats). After
    the start, I helped break down the start line (the 5K start
    was about a 400m away and was a "ready - set - go" start, no
    chip mats except for the mats at the finish). After this, I
    scrambled to warm up, stretch, and find a phone booth to
    change into my "race gear." I then hot footed it the the
    start of the 5K and positioned myself at the front, ready to
    go. In my mind, my break from work is running, which some
    people don't consider a break. The 5K course is a simple
    1.75 laps around the river, and finish with the marathoners
    and half marathoners. The race starts, and I am torn between
    taking it easy, (this was kind of a spur of the moment
    thing) and really racing it hard. Well, I take off to an
    early lead, and then I am joined by another runner, and we
    are pretty much step for step. Another runner was very close
    behind us. With no person calling times at the mile mark
    calling splits, I volunteered my services to my fellow
    runners, calling 5:35 . . . 5:36 . . . 5:37 when we hit the
    mile mark. I try to my best to make myself useful. As we
    passed by the finish line on the first lap, I found that I
    have slipped to second with the runner who was in third.
    And, my back was starting to feel tight (again) so I just
    thought I would take it easy, and glide to the finish. I
    finished at 18:18 in third place overall. I hustled inside,
    put on some fresh clothes, and went to get a post race hot
    dog. I congratulated the winner, who had beat me to the hot
    dogs. I then went outside and helped supervise the finish
    line chip taking until the last marathoner came through
    around 1:30pm (with breaks to get more food and get my
    award). The marathon and half marathon finishers were fun to
    observe, because of the post race conversations, which
    consisted of, who they should have beat, who should have
    beat them, how much fun they had, how miserable they were,
    and of course "where are the beer and hot dogs.?" I love
    Wisconsin. Post races, we took down the finish line and
    packed up the start line, and I got to leave. Kind of a long
    day at the races for me, but it was fun. So this was really
    a "working a race" report, with a "race" report in between.
    I hope all you rec.runners' enjoyed the report.

    -Aaron TheYAM.net

  2. Aaron said:

    In my mind, my break from work is running, which some
    people don't consider a break.

    Strange people. When I'm out on the trails, it's so peaceful
    and beautiful (no matter what the weather, which lately is
    pretty sloppy). Of course, a thousand years ago, running was
    a job, at least in the Inca empire!

    Mike McSwell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.