General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report - St. George half marathon

Started by - · · Last activity · 6 posts · 640 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 January 2005
Last activity
24 January 2005
Original author
-
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
640
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. St. George Painters Half Marathon

    January 15th 2005 Race Report

    By: Daniel Olsen

    On Friday morning, my mom woke me up at 7:00. I was a little
    annoyed at not being able to sleep in on the vacation, but happy just the
    same that I had the awesome opportunity to go to St. George, and spend two
    fun days with my brother Russell, dad, and Grandma.

    By 8:00 we were on the road, driving for about 6 long hours from
    Logan Utah, down to St. George.

    I listened to my walkman most of the time, to survive my 12 year
    old brothers constant talking that never stops. After about 6 hours, we
    arrived in Kanosh to pick up my Grandma. We also saw Uncle Bill, and Ruben.
    Ruben had made a habit of giving all of the kids in my family nicknames.
    While he was in the living room, he yelled "Is that Danny meadow mouse, and
    four eyes." According to Ruben, I was as small as a mouse when I was a
    toddler even though I was a pretty large baby, being about 21 inches. He
    calls Russell four eyes because he wears glasses.

    When we got to St. George, my dad took pictures of the
    devastating flood that happened there. After that we went to Outback
    Steakhouse. I wish I could have bought steak, but that wouldn't have been
    good for my race the next day.

    There were a lot of cool stores there. We went to a chocolate
    store, a toy store, and a Ralph Lauren store. After that we chilled at our
    hotel for a while. I schooled my brother Russell in a Uno tournament and
    then we went to bed

    The next morning we ran over to the race. I jogged a lot and
    then ran around with my brother Russell.

    The race was a really strange race. My dad told me to start off
    at a 7:00 mile and my brother Russell at a 7:30, or else he wouldn't let us
    run the Moab Half Marathon. Well about a minute before the race, Russell
    decided he wasn't going to listen to dad at all. At the one mile mark, my
    watch said 6:40. Then I hear Russell breathing two feet behind me. I think
    to myself, if that kid doesn't pace right, he's going to drop dead after the
    9 mile mark. Little did I know how wrong I was.

    After about 7 miles of hard rolling hills, Russell was still
    about three strides behind me. All of a sudden, a kid that looks like he's
    my age blows past me. I immediately stopped thinking about my crazy brother
    and tried to get back my spot.

    Well, getting back my spot was definitely not easy. This kid
    reminded me of a fast kid in third grade my dad nicknamed Surger Boy.
    Whenever I ran up to try and take him, he would do a short burst of speed.

    I was feeling pretty good. As I ran up to the kid he just
    sprints off. I do this about 7 times for about a half mile, and then I just
    said to myself "I'm going to try this one more time, and then I'll lay back
    a while. And the kid had so much sprint speed, I just gave up. I think that
    next race, I'm going to do that until the end.

    At the 11 mile mark, I have a lot of energy, but my legs feel
    like they have lead in them. My pacing was very uneven so far in the race.
    I'm pretty sure I lost Russell.

    As I get to the last stretch, I see Grandma and Dad yelling
    "Come on Daniel!" and then they yell "Come on Russell, beat your brother!"

    Well then I'm thinking "Wow dad, way to cheer for everybody!" I
    looked back, which was a stupid thing to do, and saw Russell sprinting
    towards me. Well, even though my race hasn't gone so well, I'm not letting
    my twelve year old brother beat me. I beat him by four seconds. The race
    was about 12.7 miles, and I got a 1:28:24.

    It was weird because I didn't have a bad race at all. I was
    about as fast as I was last year. It's just that Russell has been maturing
    physically and has improved by about thirteen minutes, and I've hit a big
    wall where I haven't improved that much. My last PR was about a year ago.

    So I'm feeling pretty miserable, when something really good
    happens to cheer me up. This really hot looking girl comes up to talk to
    me. She's got blonde hair and a good tan.

    "Wow, nice job on your race, how old are you?"

    "Fifteen." I said.

    "Really, that's how old I am. We were both cheering for you at
    your sprint at the end. Well, good bye, and good job!"

    "You too." I said walking away feeling slightly happier. I wish
    I was a bit more talkative, and that I would have looked a lot better, but
    you don't look that well after you've ran thirteen miles.

    It turns out that the kid that beat me had an eighteen-year-old
    brother that won the race. He was 14, a year younger than me. His name was
    Daniel. If I ever race him again, I'm going to race a lot smarter.

    The trophy's were awesome crystal statues of an eagle on top of
    a world. My dad said "Thanks, any time you want to look at them, you can
    see them in my room. I get them because I paid for this trip, lol.

    I loved this race, and I can't wait until I run the Moab Half
    Marathon. Hopefully I'll remember to pace better, and if I meet a good
    looking girl, I'll be a bit smoother next time, lol.

  2. <TenKMan> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    St. George Painters Half Marathon

    January 15th 2005 Race Report

    By: Daniel Olsen

    On Friday morning, my mom woke me up at 7:00. I was a little
    annoyed at not being able to sleep in on the vacation, but happy just the
    same that I had the awesome opportunity to go to St. George, and spend two
    fun days with my brother Russell, dad, and Grandma.

    By 8:00 we were on the road, driving for about 6 long hours
    from
    Logan Utah, down to St. George.

    I listened to my walkman most of the time, to survive my 12
    year
    old brothers constant talking that never stops. After about 6 hours, we
    arrived in Kanosh to pick up my Grandma. We also saw Uncle Bill, and
    Ruben.
    Ruben had made a habit of giving all of the kids in my family nicknames.
    While he was in the living room, he yelled "Is that Danny meadow mouse,
    and
    four eyes." According to Ruben, I was as small as a mouse when I was a
    toddler even though I was a pretty large baby, being about 21 inches. He
    calls Russell four eyes because he wears glasses.

    When we got to St. George, my dad took pictures of the
    devastating flood that happened there. After that we went to Outback
    Steakhouse. I wish I could have bought steak, but that wouldn't have been
    good for my race the next day.

    There were a lot of cool stores there. We went to a chocolate
    store, a toy store, and a Ralph Lauren store. After that we chilled at
    our
    hotel for a while. I schooled my brother Russell in a Uno tournament and
    then we went to bed

    The next morning we ran over to the race. I jogged a lot and
    then ran around with my brother Russell.

    The race was a really strange race. My dad told me to start
    off
    at a 7:00 mile and my brother Russell at a 7:30, or else he wouldn't let
    us
    run the Moab Half Marathon. Well about a minute before the race, Russell
    decided he wasn't going to listen to dad at all. At the one mile mark, my
    watch said 6:40. Then I hear Russell breathing two feet behind me. I
    think
    to myself, if that kid doesn't pace right, he's going to drop dead after
    the
    9 mile mark. Little did I know how wrong I was.

    After about 7 miles of hard rolling hills, Russell was still
    about three strides behind me. All of a sudden, a kid that looks like
    he's
    my age blows past me. I immediately stopped thinking about my crazy
    brother
    and tried to get back my spot.

    Well, getting back my spot was definitely not easy. This kid
    reminded me of a fast kid in third grade my dad nicknamed Surger Boy.
    Whenever I ran up to try and take him, he would do a short burst of speed.

    I was feeling pretty good. As I ran up to the kid he just
    sprints off. I do this about 7 times for about a half mile, and then I
    just
    said to myself "I'm going to try this one more time, and then I'll lay
    back
    a while. And the kid had so much sprint speed, I just gave up. I think
    that
    next race, I'm going to do that until the end.

    At the 11 mile mark, I have a lot of energy, but my legs feel
    like they have lead in them. My pacing was very uneven so far in the
    race.
    I'm pretty sure I lost Russell.

    As I get to the last stretch, I see Grandma and Dad yelling
    "Come on Daniel!" and then they yell "Come on Russell, beat your brother!"

    Well then I'm thinking "Wow dad, way to cheer for everybody!"
    I
    looked back, which was a stupid thing to do, and saw Russell sprinting
    towards me. Well, even though my race hasn't gone so well, I'm not
    letting
    my twelve year old brother beat me. I beat him by four seconds. The race
    was about 12.7 miles, and I got a 1:28:24.

    It was weird because I didn't have a bad race at all. I was
    about as fast as I was last year. It's just that Russell has been
    maturing
    physically and has improved by about thirteen minutes, and I've hit a big
    wall where I haven't improved that much. My last PR was about a year ago.

    So I'm feeling pretty miserable, when something really good
    happens to cheer me up. This really hot looking girl comes up to talk to
    me. She's got blonde hair and a good tan.

    "Wow, nice job on your race, how old are you?"

    "Fifteen." I said.

    "Really, that's how old I am. We were both cheering for you at
    your sprint at the end. Well, good bye, and good job!"

    "You too." I said walking away feeling slightly happier. I
    wish
    I was a bit more talkative, and that I would have looked a lot better, but
    you don't look that well after you've ran thirteen miles.

    It turns out that the kid that beat me had an eighteen-year-old
    brother that won the race. He was 14, a year younger than me. His name
    was
    Daniel. If I ever race him again, I'm going to race a lot smarter.

    The trophy's were awesome crystal statues of an eagle on top of
    a world. My dad said "Thanks, any time you want to look at them, you can
    see them in my room. I get them because I paid for this trip, lol.

    I loved this race, and I can't wait until I run the Moab Half
    Marathon. Hopefully I'll remember to pace better, and if I meet a good
    looking girl, I'll be a bit smoother next time, lol.

    Great racing! It's cool sort of reading your reports over the
    years and noticing all the changes that show through in your
    recollection of the events and yout writing style. This one was
    really well done. I'm seriously really glad to see you keep up
    the running over the years. Don't worry about the plateau.
    It's a natural part of the process. Everybody suffers them.

    Also, remember this: you are a pretty fast runner. You got to
    where you are by hard work. Hang in there and you will make
    some new breakthroughs. Perhaps a week off with some
    cross-training to symbolize a new start with a goal in mind.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON)
    www.allfalldown.org
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com

  3. <TenKMan> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    St. George Painters Half Marathon

    January 15th 2005 Race Report

    By: Daniel Olsen

    Well, even though my race hasn't gone so well, I'm not letting

    Quoted message said:

    my twelve year old brother beat me. I beat him by four seconds. The race
    was about 12.7 miles, and I got a 1:28:24.

    Congrats on the race Daniel to you and your brother - Was it an official 1/2
    marathon,
    (13.1 miles) or somewhat shorter as you write above?

    Quoted message said:

    It was weird because I didn't have a bad race at all. I was
    about as fast as I was last year. It's just that Russell has been
    maturing
    physically and has improved by about thirteen minutes, and I've hit a big
    wall where I haven't improved that much. My last PR was about a year ago.

    Don't worry too much - some tweaks in training will improve your times even
    further. And having your brother catching up to you will be great to keep
    you
    motivated in training and racing!

    Good luck for Moab.

    Anthony.

  4. TenKMan said:

    So I'm feeling pretty miserable, when something really good
    happens to cheer me up. This really hot looking girl comes up to talk to
    me. She's got blonde hair and a good tan.

    "Wow, nice job on your race, how old are you?"

    "Fifteen." I said.

    "Really, that's how old I am. We were both cheering for you at
    your sprint at the end. Well, good bye, and good job!"

    "You too." I said walking away feeling slightly happier. I wish
    I was a bit more talkative, and that I would have looked a lot better, but
    you don't look that well after you've ran thirteen miles.

    Awesome. Maybe you'll see her again at moab.

  5. "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TenKMan said:

    St. George Painters Half Marathon

    January 15th 2005 Race Report

    By: Daniel Olsen

    Daniel, Way to go! I was wondering how you guys were doing since you
    hadn't posted in a while.

    Daniel asked me to thank you Dot, SWstudio, Anthony, and gym gravity for the
    encouraging comments. As a side note, he spent four days in the hospital
    last summer with pneumonia. He had a good freshman year in CC and earned a
    varsity letter. We have concentrated on shorter faster racing so when he
    laments the fact that he hasn't had a 1/2 marathon pr, it is deceiving as he
    trains little for that distance. I think he is just now fully recovered
    from the pneumonia layoff and recovery and I suspect that spring track will
    be good for him.

    As for his crazy little brother (Russell), I think he has some Pre in him as
    he runs hard from the start and just competes. Let's just also say that he
    takes as much effort as the other three combined with regards to parenting
    effort. He's tough, ignores pain, runs like hell and can be quite childish
    at times.

    Thanks again.

  6. That was a great race report - and great running! I live in St George and
    didn't run the race this year but I was watching you guys - am thinking of
    doing the Moab also this year -- continue training hard and I wish you both
    the best in running!

    Chris

    <TenKMan> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    St. George Painters Half Marathon

    January 15th 2005 Race Report

    By: Daniel Olsen

    On Friday morning, my mom woke me up at 7:00. I was a little
    annoyed at not being able to sleep in on the vacation, but happy just the
    same that I had the awesome opportunity to go to St. George, and spend two
    fun days with my brother Russell, dad, and Grandma.

    By 8:00 we were on the road, driving for about 6 long hours
    from
    Logan Utah, down to St. George.

    I listened to my walkman most of the time, to survive my 12
    year
    old brothers constant talking that never stops. After about 6 hours, we
    arrived in Kanosh to pick up my Grandma. We also saw Uncle Bill, and
    Ruben.
    Ruben had made a habit of giving all of the kids in my family nicknames.
    While he was in the living room, he yelled "Is that Danny meadow mouse,
    and
    four eyes." According to Ruben, I was as small as a mouse when I was a
    toddler even though I was a pretty large baby, being about 21 inches. He
    calls Russell four eyes because he wears glasses.

    When we got to St. George, my dad took pictures of the
    devastating flood that happened there. After that we went to Outback
    Steakhouse. I wish I could have bought steak, but that wouldn't have been
    good for my race the next day.

    There were a lot of cool stores there. We went to a chocolate
    store, a toy store, and a Ralph Lauren store. After that we chilled at
    our
    hotel for a while. I schooled my brother Russell in a Uno tournament and
    then we went to bed

    The next morning we ran over to the race. I jogged a lot and
    then ran around with my brother Russell.

    The race was a really strange race. My dad told me to start
    off
    at a 7:00 mile and my brother Russell at a 7:30, or else he wouldn't let
    us
    run the Moab Half Marathon. Well about a minute before the race, Russell
    decided he wasn't going to listen to dad at all. At the one mile mark, my
    watch said 6:40. Then I hear Russell breathing two feet behind me. I
    think
    to myself, if that kid doesn't pace right, he's going to drop dead after
    the
    9 mile mark. Little did I know how wrong I was.

    After about 7 miles of hard rolling hills, Russell was still
    about three strides behind me. All of a sudden, a kid that looks like
    he's
    my age blows past me. I immediately stopped thinking about my crazy
    brother
    and tried to get back my spot.

    Well, getting back my spot was definitely not easy. This kid
    reminded me of a fast kid in third grade my dad nicknamed Surger Boy.
    Whenever I ran up to try and take him, he would do a short burst of speed.

    I was feeling pretty good. As I ran up to the kid he just
    sprints off. I do this about 7 times for about a half mile, and then I
    just
    said to myself "I'm going to try this one more time, and then I'll lay
    back
    a while. And the kid had so much sprint speed, I just gave up. I think
    that
    next race, I'm going to do that until the end.

    At the 11 mile mark, I have a lot of energy, but my legs feel
    like they have lead in them. My pacing was very uneven so far in the
    race.
    I'm pretty sure I lost Russell.

    As I get to the last stretch, I see Grandma and Dad yelling
    "Come on Daniel!" and then they yell "Come on Russell, beat your brother!"

    Well then I'm thinking "Wow dad, way to cheer for everybody!"
    I
    looked back, which was a stupid thing to do, and saw Russell sprinting
    towards me. Well, even though my race hasn't gone so well, I'm not
    letting
    my twelve year old brother beat me. I beat him by four seconds. The race
    was about 12.7 miles, and I got a 1:28:24.

    It was weird because I didn't have a bad race at all. I was
    about as fast as I was last year. It's just that Russell has been
    maturing
    physically and has improved by about thirteen minutes, and I've hit a big
    wall where I haven't improved that much. My last PR was about a year ago.

    So I'm feeling pretty miserable, when something really good
    happens to cheer me up. This really hot looking girl comes up to talk to
    me. She's got blonde hair and a good tan.

    "Wow, nice job on your race, how old are you?"

    "Fifteen." I said.

    "Really, that's how old I am. We were both cheering for you at
    your sprint at the end. Well, good bye, and good job!"

    "You too." I said walking away feeling slightly happier. I
    wish
    I was a bit more talkative, and that I would have looked a lot better, but
    you don't look that well after you've ran thirteen miles.

    It turns out that the kid that beat me had an eighteen-year-old
    brother that won the race. He was 14, a year younger than me. His name
    was
    Daniel. If I ever race him again, I'm going to race a lot smarter.

    The trophy's were awesome crystal statues of an eagle on top of
    a world. My dad said "Thanks, any time you want to look at them, you can
    see them in my room. I get them because I paid for this trip, lol.

    I loved this race, and I can't wait until I run the Moab Half
    Marathon. Hopefully I'll remember to pace better, and if I meet a good
    looking girl, I'll be a bit smoother next time, lol.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.