General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report: Jim's Mystery Run

Started by Teresa Plymate · · Last activity · 12 posts · 509 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 September 2003
Last activity
30 September 2003
Original author
Teresa Plymate
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
509
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.

    All we knew beforehand was that it was to be on Sept 14th, and would be between 3-8 miles. On the
    Tuesday before the race, I received an email from the race director. I was to go to a web page to
    get the starting time and location. But not quite that easy! First, I had to figure out a puzzle.
    The question was, if you were playing Monolopy and were on Tennessee Ave, where would you land if
    you rolled a 10? I, like the majority of entrants, hit Google right away to find the answer. (It's
    the Water Works, BTW). Then we were allowed onto the page. There we did find that the race directors
    wanted us to meet at Kon Tiki between 6:03-6:08 am.

    Further down, the page read that "here's the details of the run". And proceeded to have lettering
    that faded in and out and was missing altogether. All you could make out was "sunscreen", "lighter
    fluid","running naked", and "flying monkeys". ???

    Anyway, I showed up at Kon Tiki a little early. We were all given name tags and groups. I was in
    group 5. At one point we were told that we'd better get to know our group members. So we all grouped
    together and started learning each other's names and what we did, etc.

    Two big tour buses arrived at about 6:15. We were all to sit with our groups. When we started out,
    our leader, Randy, told us we were headed towards Nogales. Then we turned eastward and northward and
    knew Randy was pulling our legs! While the buses were moving we had to stand up, and in reverse
    alphabetical order, say who we were, what group, and something personal about someone else in the
    group. And it didn't have to be true. So that got pretty funny at times.

    Since we were now headed directly eastward on Speedway, I knew we couldn't be going too far,
    Speedway dead ends at the base of the Rincon Mts. I was glad, as last year we travelled for over an
    hour, so that it was kind of warm by the time we ran. The buses got to the very end of Speedway and
    turned in at Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. This place is huge, and beautiful! They must have had 50
    horses out in the corrals. The buses stopped, and we were told to meet at the Cottonwood Grove in
    10 minutes.

    I used the potty in the bus. Turned out to be a smart move as there were only 4 potties down in the
    grove and a long line. Three of us that had lingered on the bus trailed everyone else on down. At
    the base of the hill is a really pretty spot, where the ranch has grills and picnic tables set up
    under a cottonwood grove. We were there awhile milling about while the race folks were porting
    things down and getting ready. We were lead in a small warmup run and we all made a big circle and
    stretched together.

    Then they passed out cards and pencils. On the cards were several names of famous runners, even more
    running shoe brands, and four marathons. The object of this Mystery Run was to guess who did it, in
    what shoes, and at what marathon! A game of Clue! We would run from "marathon" to "marathon" (ie
    rooms), and here make a guess. The person at the station would show us one card, if they had one.
    Like Clue. We were told to line up 10' back from each station so no one could see or hear what the
    current person was being told. So there could be some backups at the stations. We weren't required
    to stop at each station, either. But of course, each stop was a potential new clue. If we solved the
    mystery, our run time would be cut in HALF. And at the end, we could "buy" guesses at 5 minutes
    each. And we were NOT to share information with anyone else, even our own group members.

    We'd be starting by group, 1 minute apart by group. As I was in group 5, we'd be the last to go.
    While waiting, we discussed the merits of stopping vs just running as fast as you could and guessing
    cold. I think most of us thought you'd need to get as many clues as you could, but if the line
    somewhere was too long it might make sense to skip one or two. One guy decided he was just going to
    run it as fast as he could. He said he was lousy at Clue so he might as well just get his time as
    low as possible!

    Finally we got the Go. Around the bend and up the hill we went. Over the next rise was the first
    station. And a long line. All in our group decided to bypass it. Then we swept down and around and
    came to station two. About 6 in line. I stopped and got my first clue. Then down the hill, past the
    water station, left, up the stone stairs, and a station at the top of the stairs. No wait. Clue #2
    procured. Down the trail along the lake, ducking under low branches. Pass the water station again,
    from a cross direction. Up a hill. Then....where??? I'm at a spot where I see two trails and no
    flag.....so I opt for the left trail. I go down it a bit then decide This Is Not Right. Back I go.
    At the fork a group (a group I'd already passed, darn it!) gathers, sniffing for a the trail too. We
    all head forward. I collect a cactus needle in a toe and have to take off my shoes and socks to get
    to it. They come back. That's not the way either! We all backtrack and finally see the flag that
    fell over. A right-hand trail that's not immediately obvious.

    Now, unfortunatley, I'm stuck behind a group up a single-track trail. Too much cactus to pass. After
    awhile I finally pass the two in front, and coming down the hill on the other side pass lots of
    folks. I never realized I was a good trail runner until now. I run on the rocks a lot at home. A lot
    of these people were dink-dink-dinking, barely getting anywhere. Once I got around I just ran down.
    Fast. I've learned how to pick foot spots quickly. And around the bend is another station in a stone
    ramada. About 3 in line. I get another good clue. And pass all three on the way back down the hill
    as we pass the water station again. At a cross roads, another station and another clue. Then back
    sharp left, up the stone stairs, another clue. Right turn and head down the hill to the finish.

    I clock in, and then decide to buy another clue. It works out and I get another useful clue. Now I'm
    down to just two runners- is it Deena Drossin or John "The Penguin" Bingham?? And two shoes - is it
    New Balance or Saucony? I choose Deena Drossin in New Balance at the Athens Marathon (that one I
    *know*). So I cross my fingers and add my card to the pile. And wander over for food and drink.

    What a spread! There's of course water and gatorade, but there's a gaggle of foodstuffs. There's the
    traditional bananas and oranges, plus watermelon and fruit salad. Bagels, mini-muffins, and little
    croissants. Gummy bears. Chocolate bars. Pretzels and crackers. And more I can't remember. I grab a
    plateful and enjoy. There's a thing like a jumping castle setting up. It has two bouncy lanes with
    dividers. A back wall. Two harnesses and a bungee line to each. Hmmm???

    As I watch, two try it. The object is to try to run to the end. Only the bungee isn't that long.
    Pretty funny to watch. After awhile enough folks come in and the directors set up some pairs to try
    each other in the bungee thing. Valeria and I decide to give it a whirl. Off with the shoes, and on
    with the harnesses. The people on each side move closer, they know two lightweights like us won't
    get very far! We count down and sprint. We've watched the others, and try to leap forward and touch
    the hands of the folks on the side at the last minute. I'm yanked backwards like someone grabbed me
    by the nape of the neck and pulled. Legs and arms flailing. Landed on the back of my neck which is a
    little stiff today. OK, try again. This time I get enough forward umph to slap hands before the
    bungee wins. This time I land with a splat, face downward and am dragged back by the bungee. It was
    interesting, but all the pains I have today are from this little experiment! My right knee and foot
    got scraped up from the drag.

    After this, of course, I needed some more food. At last the last runners come in and the tallying is
    almost done. As if it matters. After all, this is a Mystery Run.

    We're gathered and the prize-giving begins. From the pile of folks who got the answer correctly
    many great prizes are given by random drawing. They include lunch and dinner certificates, massage
    certificates, and race entries. One lucky person drawn from the "loser" pile wins a Clue game and
    is told to "get a Clue!" There are several trivia questions. Unfortunately I don't get anything
    this year. I was hoping for a massage. Oh, and a couple of prizes for folks who can name their
    group, first and last names,now after running. No one can do it completely, but two get very close
    and get prizes.

    The t-shirt is a keeper, too. Black, with "Get A Clue!" on the front, and "I Got A Clue" on the back
    with the Jim's Mystery Run logo.

    So now I'm just waiting to find out what my time really is. Obviously there aren't prizes in this
    run for placings. I *think* I got the Clue game right, and so got my time halved. But I lost some
    time due to getting lost, so where I placed ....it's still a Mystery!!

    Teresa in AZ

  2. "Teresa Plymate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.

    Geez this sounds complicated but it sounds fun. Let us know your final time and placing.

    David Olsen

  3. Great report. I have looked forward to it since last year. Thanks.

    Brian Jones

    "Teresa Plymate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.

    All we knew beforehand was that it was to be on Sept 14th, and would be between 3-8 miles. On the
    Tuesday before the race, I received an email from the race director. I was to go to a web page to
    get the starting time and location. But not quite that easy! First, I had to figure out a puzzle.
    The question was, if you were playing Monolopy and were on Tennessee Ave, where would you land if
    you rolled a 10? I, like the majority of entrants, hit Google right away to find the answer. (It's
    the Water Works, BTW). Then we were allowed onto the page. There we did find that the race
    directors wanted us to meet at Kon Tiki between 6:03-6:08 am.

    Further down, the page read that "here's the details of the run". And proceeded to have lettering
    that faded in and out and was missing altogether. All you could make out was "sunscreen", "lighter
    fluid","running naked", and "flying monkeys". ???

    Anyway, I showed up at Kon Tiki a little early. We were all given name tags and groups. I was in
    group 5. At one point we were told that we'd better get to know our group members. So we all
    grouped together and started learning each other's names and what we did, etc.

    Two big tour buses arrived at about 6:15. We were all to sit with our groups. When we started out,
    our leader, Randy, told us we were headed towards Nogales. Then we turned eastward and northward
    and knew Randy was pulling our legs! While the buses were moving we had to stand up, and in
    reverse alphabetical order, say who we were, what group, and something personal about someone else
    in the group. And it didn't have to be true. So that got pretty funny at times.

    Since we were now headed directly eastward on Speedway, I knew we couldn't be going too far,
    Speedway dead ends at the base of the Rincon Mts. I was glad, as last year we travelled for over
    an hour, so that it was kind of warm by the time we ran. The buses got to the very end of Speedway
    and turned in at Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. This place is huge, and beautiful! They must have had
    50 horses out in the corrals. The buses stopped, and we were told to meet at the Cottonwood Grove
    in 10 minutes.

    I used the potty in the bus. Turned out to be a smart move as there were only 4 potties down in
    the grove and a long line. Three of us that had lingered on the bus trailed everyone else on down.
    At the base of the hill is a really pretty spot, where the ranch has grills and picnic tables set
    up under a cottonwood grove. We were there awhile milling about while the race folks were porting
    things down and getting ready. We were lead in a small warmup run and we all made a big circle and
    stretched together.

    Then they passed out cards and pencils. On the cards were several names of famous runners, even
    more running shoe brands, and four marathons. The object of this Mystery Run was to guess who did
    it, in what shoes, and at what marathon! A game of Clue! We would run from "marathon" to
    "marathon" (ie rooms), and here make a guess. The person at the station would show us one card, if
    they had one. Like Clue. We were told to line up 10' back from each station so no one could see or
    hear what the current person was being told. So there could be some backups at the stations. We
    weren't required to stop at each station, either. But of course, each stop was a potential new
    clue. If we solved the mystery, our run time would be cut in HALF. And at the end, we could "buy"
    guesses at 5 minutes each. And we were NOT to share information with anyone else, even our own
    group members.

    We'd be starting by group, 1 minute apart by group. As I was in group 5, we'd be the last to go.
    While waiting, we discussed the merits of stopping vs just running as fast as you could and
    guessing cold. I think most of us thought you'd need to get as many clues as you could, but if the
    line somewhere was too long it might make sense to skip one or two. One guy decided he was just
    going to run it as fast as he could. He said he was lousy at Clue so he might as well just get his
    time as low as possible!

    Finally we got the Go. Around the bend and up the hill we went. Over the next rise was the first
    station. And a long line. All in our group decided to bypass it. Then we swept down and around and
    came to station two. About 6 in line. I stopped and got my first clue. Then down the hill, past
    the water station, left, up the stone stairs, and a station at the top of the stairs. No wait.
    Clue #2 procured. Down the trail along the lake, ducking under low branches. Pass the water
    station again, from a cross direction. Up a hill. Then....where??? I'm at a spot where I see two
    trails and no flag.....so I opt for the left trail. I go down it a bit then decide This Is Not
    Right. Back I go. At the fork a group (a group I'd already passed, darn it!) gathers, sniffing for
    a the trail too. We all head forward. I collect a cactus needle in a toe and have to take off my
    shoes and socks to get to it. They come back. That's not the way either! We all backtrack and
    finally see the flag that fell over. A right-hand trail that's not immediately obvious.

    Now, unfortunatley, I'm stuck behind a group up a single-track trail. Too much cactus to pass.
    After awhile I finally pass the two in front, and coming down the hill on the other side pass lots
    of folks. I never realized I was a good trail runner until now. I run on the rocks a lot at home.
    A lot of these people were dink-dink-dinking, barely getting anywhere. Once I got around I just
    ran down. Fast. I've learned how to pick foot spots quickly. And around the bend is another
    station in a stone ramada. About 3 in line. I get another good clue. And pass all three on the way
    back down the hill as we pass the water station again. At a cross roads, another station and
    another clue. Then back sharp left, up the stone stairs, another clue. Right turn and head down
    the hill to the finish.

    I clock in, and then decide to buy another clue. It works out and I get another useful clue. Now
    I'm down to just two runners- is it Deena Drossin or John "The Penguin" Bingham?? And two shoes
    - is it New Balance or Saucony? I choose Deena Drossin in New Balance at the Athens Marathon
    (that one I *know*). So I cross my fingers and add my card to the pile. And wander over for food
    and drink.

    What a spread! There's of course water and gatorade, but there's a gaggle of foodstuffs. There's
    the traditional bananas and oranges, plus watermelon and fruit salad. Bagels, mini-muffins, and
    little croissants. Gummy bears. Chocolate bars. Pretzels and crackers. And more I can't remember.
    I grab a plateful and enjoy. There's a thing like a jumping castle setting up. It has two bouncy
    lanes with dividers. A back wall. Two harnesses and a bungee line to each. Hmmm???

    As I watch, two try it. The object is to try to run to the end. Only the bungee isn't that long.
    Pretty funny to watch. After awhile enough folks come in and the directors set up some pairs to
    try each other in the bungee thing. Valeria and I decide to give it a whirl. Off with the shoes,
    and on with the harnesses. The people on each side move closer, they know two lightweights like us
    won't get very far! We count down and sprint. We've watched the others, and try to leap forward
    and touch the hands of the folks on the side at the last minute. I'm yanked backwards like someone
    grabbed me by the nape of the neck and pulled. Legs and arms flailing. Landed on the back of my
    neck which is a little stiff today. OK, try again. This time I get enough forward umph to slap
    hands before the bungee wins. This time I land with a splat, face downward and am dragged back by
    the bungee. It was interesting, but all the pains I have today are from this little experiment! My
    right knee and foot got scraped up from the drag.

    After this, of course, I needed some more food. At last the last runners come in and the tallying
    is almost done. As if it matters. After all, this is a Mystery Run.

    We're gathered and the prize-giving begins. From the pile of folks who got the answer correctly
    many great prizes are given by random drawing. They include lunch and dinner certificates, massage
    certificates, and race entries. One lucky person drawn from the "loser" pile wins a Clue game and
    is told to "get a Clue!" There are several trivia questions. Unfortunately I don't get anything
    this year. I was hoping for a massage. Oh, and a couple of prizes for folks who can name their
    group, first and last names,now after running. No one can do it completely, but two get very close
    and get prizes.

    The t-shirt is a keeper, too. Black, with "Get A Clue!" on the front, and "I Got A Clue" on the
    back with the Jim's Mystery Run logo.

    So now I'm just waiting to find out what my time really is. Obviously there aren't prizes in this
    run for placings. I *think* I got the Clue game right, and so got my time halved. But I lost some
    time due to getting lost, so where I placed ....it's still a Mystery!!

    Teresa in AZ

  4. Wow, Teresa! Nice report on what sounds like a real cool event! You're having so much fun there ...
    I hope the final results show you kicked mystery butt!

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  5. In article <[email hidden]> "Brian Jones"

    Quoted message said:

    Great report. I have looked forward to it since last year. Thanks.

    Brian Jones

    "Teresa Plymate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.

    Thanks, Brian! Almost as fun to write about as to run! Can't wait until next year.

    Oh, and Daniel, I *will* post my results whenever they get posted on-line, promise!

    Teresa in AZ

  6. In article <[email hidden]> Brian Baresch

    Quoted message said:

    Wow, Teresa! Nice report on what sounds like a real cool event! You're having so much fun there ...
    I hope the final results show you kicked mystery butt!

    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    Thanks, Brian. It *is* one to look forward to every year.... like "what's Jim going to come up with
    this year???" As far as kicking butt, we'll see. I kinda got lost so that will cut into my kicking
    ability quite a bit! ;-)

    Teresa in AZ

  7. Teresa Plymate said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.

    Hi Teresa, Sounds like another fun time at Jim's Mystery Run! Congratulations. That reminds me a
    little of orienteering - need to have the brain engaged rather than the usual mental space out for
    running. Thanks for sharing.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  8. Teresa Plymate said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG! Sorry it's taken so long, I've been
    waiting for the official results and they're still not on-line yet.


    [report snipped but thoroughly enjoyed]

    Not nearly LONG enough, IMHO. :-) What a hoot! I love reading your reports of this event. Jim's a
    sick man. Was this an orienteering event of a different sort? OK, I'm going to HAVE to come out for
    one of these some day. Needless to say you did wonderfully well. It also sounds like you're a
    natural born trail runner. I hope your bungee boo-boo is better but if you're going to get an
    injury, what better way?

    Thanks! Layne

    -------------------------------------------------------
    The rec.running report archives may be found at kinder.cis.unf.edurec.running

  9. In article <[email hidden]> Dot

    dot.h@#att.net said:
    Teresa Plymate said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG!

    Hi Teresa, Sounds like another fun time at Jim's Mystery Run! Congratulations. That reminds me a
    little of orienteering - need to have the brain engaged rather than the usual mental space out for
    running. Thanks for sharing.

    Dot

    Thanks, Dot. I found that it's kind of difficult to run and think at the same time. I'd do the "Clue
    calculating" while standing in line, as while running I was too busy picking out footfall spots on
    the rocky trails. But it was FUN!

    BTW, great write-up on the trail running observations! I just read it and enjoyed it. I need to do
    more hill work, there just aren't many hills near by. And SNOW already? Whoa, we're going to be
    hitting 100F again today and tomorrow here! I'll send you some heat for some cold...

    Teresa in AZ

  10. In article <[email hidden]> "Layne Wallace"

    Quoted message said:
    Teresa Plymate said:

    It's the Second Jim's Mystery Run! And this report is LONG!


    [report snipped but thoroughly enjoyed]

    Not nearly LONG enough, IMHO. :-) What a hoot! I love reading your reports of this event. Jim's a
    sick man. Was this an orienteering event of a different sort? OK, I'm going to HAVE to come out for
    one of these some day. Needless to say you did wonderfully well. It also sounds like you're a
    natural born trail runner. I hope your bungee boo-boo is better but if you're going to get an
    injury, what better way?

    Thanks! Layne

    Thanks Layne! OK, next time I won't worry about the report getting too long then... We'd love to
    have you, though of course I couldn't tell you what in the world Jim will have cooked up! It's
    funny, I did notice this year that a lot of the really "serious" competitors didn't come to this
    one. I know some were unhappy last year because they ran fast and came in high in the run, but
    scored low in the overall because of the trivia quiz results. I was sort of hoping for more trivia,
    I have a lot of useless junk floating around up there! (And scored a lot higher up than I would
    have from just running). Yep, the bugee boo-boos are all fine now, the knee scab departed just a
    few days ago.

    Teresa in AZ

  11. Teresa Plymate said:


    Thanks, Dot. I found that it's kind of difficult to run and think at the same time. I'd do the
    "Clue calculating" while standing in line, as while running I was too busy picking out footfall
    spots on the rocky trails. But it was FUN!

    Chuckle. I can relate to that.

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, great write-up on the trail running observations! I just read it and enjoyed it.

    Thanks. I really learned a lot by watching these elites. Plus just hanging out and listening to the
    various coaches, officials, etc. They had a meeting of course officials on top the first morning to
    see if they had to change the course at all for safety reasons because of the snow. One of the
    officials test ran the steepest part and considered it safe to run.

    I need to do more hill work, there just aren't

    Quoted message said:

    many hills near by.

    I started doing (just *doing* and focusing on strength, not running hard) some small repeats (4 min,
    20% slope) at the base of one of our local mountains this summer - and it made an amazing difference
    in the way I could handle my smaller rolling hills.

    And SNOW already? Whoa, we're going to be

    Quoted message said:

    hitting 100F again today and tomorrow here! I'll send you some heat for some cold...

    Not a chance 🙂 🙂 We're happy to be having some cooler weather now for running. The snow hit
    Alyeska, but we didn't have any locally - although it was +30F and raining when I left Sun am. When
    the clouds lifted today (or was it yesterday), we had some nice white tops to the local hills (down
    to about 2500 ft), but the snow line on south-facing slopes is about 4000ft or more this evening -
    about +60F this afternoon. I suspect it will come and go for awhile before it gets serious in town,
    although it almost always snows once before all the leaves have fallen, which then makes raking
    leaves a pain.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  12. In article <[email hidden]> Dot

    dot.h@#att.net said:

    Teresa Plymate wrote: I need to do more hill work, there just aren't

    Quoted message said:

    many hills near by.

    I started doing (just *doing* and focusing on strength, not running hard) some small repeats (4
    min, 20% slope) at the base of one of our local mountains this summer - and it made an amazing
    difference in the way I could handle my smaller rolling hills.

    I'll bet ! When I can get out to Sabino Canyon regularly I can notice the difference when I then
    race on rolling hills. Just too bad that I live out on the "flat" side. Once it cools down some,
    tho', getting there a little later will be OK, so I'll be more likely to drive across town to where
    the hills live.

    Quoted message said:

    And SNOW already? Whoa, we're going to be

    Quoted message said:

    hitting 100F again today and tomorrow here! I'll send you some heat for some cold...

    Not a chance 🙂 🙂 We're happy to be having some cooler weather now for running. The snow hit
    Alyeska, but we didn't have any locally - although it was +30F and raining when I left Sun am. When
    the clouds lifted today (or was it yesterday), we had some nice white tops to the local hills (down
    to about 2500 ft), but the snow line on south-facing slopes is about 4000ft or more this evening -
    about +60F this afternoon. I suspect it will come and go for awhile before it gets serious in town,
    although it almost always snows once before all the leaves have fallen, which then makes raking
    leaves a pain.

    Dot

    Oh, can't cha spare just a little snow? I moved from in town in '90, to a place out the country
    where my horses are in the back yard. While I was in town it snowed and stayed on the ground three
    times. I've been waiting for it to do that out here so I can try riding in the snow, and of course
    it hasn't snowed enough to stick on the ground even once since we moved out here! Of course, the
    last several years we've been in a terrible drought....

    Teresa in AZ

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.