General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report: Bare Buns Fun Run, McDade, Texas, USA

Started by Brian Baresch · · Last activity · 7 posts · 820 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 April 2004
Last activity
9 April 2004
Original author
Brian Baresch
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
820
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last year I ran a few 5Ks in a series they have at naturist
    resorts around Texas, and I realized that if I'd run one
    more I'd have finish second in the masters category for the
    series. So this year I'm running more. The first one was
    Saturday near Austin.

    The resort was pretty nice as these things go, with tennis
    courts and a swimming pool; the office/eating area had a
    sign, "Nekkid Lunch Cafe." About 100 people entered the
    race. We started running up a hill in the woods -- the turns
    were hard to spot and I went the wrong way just a few yards
    from the start, and since I was in the lead at the time
    several people followed me. We figured it out quickly and
    only lost a few seconds, but several people had gone past by
    that time. We sorted it out, and I was briefly in the lead
    again -- I hollered, "Don't follow me, I'm lost", then when
    someone pulled alongside me, "Don't pass me, I'm not in your
    age group." Heh.

    We ran through the parking area, on dirt/sand roads, through
    some trees and into a big meadow. By this time I was in
    fifth place; the lead group of three guys was pulling away,
    as I'd expected -- I remembered a couple of them from last
    year and knew I had no chance of catching them. Fourth place
    was a guy I thought I could catch if I were patient enough.
    The race people had mowed a squiggly, switchback-y course
    through the meadow, and we ran up, down, up, down -- it was
    fun, and I was fastest in that part of the course. (They had
    kilometer markers instead of mile markers. I've been trying
    to break 20 in the 5K for some time, which is 4-minute K's;
    I ran the first K in 4 flat and the second, in the meadow,
    in 3:48.) I passed the guy ahead of me somewhere around the
    2K mark. It was fun being able to see nearly the whole field
    of runners around that point.

    After that we went into the woods, up a hill and along some
    sandy roads -- I mean real sand, fine sand, no-traction
    sand. I was struggling by now, and my third K was 5
    minutes. The guy I'd passed was right behind me all this
    time. The fourth and fifth K stayed in the woods, on the
    mostly sandy roads, and I pushed as hard as I could; I
    tried to run on the edges of the road where there was more
    traction. (Reminded me of a half-marathon on snowy gravel
    roads a few years ago.) Both splits were just a hair under
    4 minutes. Ran past a cabin with a sign, "Caution: Nekkies
    at play." With 500 meters to go I looked back, and finally
    that guy wasn't right behind me, so I just struggled in. My
    time was 20:43. For a cross-country race on a warm
    afternoon after a 3-hour drive, that's pretty darned good,
    I think. I'll take it.

    All three guys ahead of me were under 40 so I got the
    master's award. The guy behind we was 8 seconds back, and he
    turned out to be 43. So that little duel turned out to be
    for masters vs. age-group honors. Felt nice to win one of
    those battles. I got a trophy, the "Old Sneaker award", in
    the shape of a beat-up running shoe. Pretty nifty!

    Post-race food was sport drink, water, bananas and oranges.
    They had a barbecue later in the evening, but I had to get
    back home. I did take time to hang out with the other
    runners and cool off in the pool. Good fun was had by all.

    Two and a half stars. Brian Bob says check it out.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
    and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
    Churchill

  2. Brian Baresch <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    All three guys ahead of me were under 40 so I got the
    master's award. The guy behind we was 8 seconds back, and
    he turned out to be 43. So that little duel turned out to
    be for masters vs. age-group honors. Felt nice to win one
    of those battles. I got a trophy, the "Old Sneaker award",
    in the shape of a beat-up running shoe. Pretty nifty!

    Nice report Brian. Congrats on the trophy.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Pain is temporary: the success it brings can be
    everlasting." -fortune cookie

  3. nude running, what the hell are you, some kind of [censored]?

  4. Brian Baresch said:

    Last year I ran a few 5Ks in a series they have at naturist
    resorts around Texas, and I realized that if I'd run one
    more I'd have finish second in the masters category for the
    series. So this year I'm running more. The first one was
    Saturday near Austin.

    [naked race report went here]

    yabut were you naked? Isn't it difficult to race naked? We
    have a few resorts with naked races around here, and I just
    can't see how anyone would want to participate. 5Ks are
    painful enough without exposing more stuff to sunburn,
    scratches, gravity, and the occasional extra scrutiny.

    Karen

  5. Quoted message said:

    Nice report Brian. Congrats on the trophy.

    Phil M.

    Thanks, Phil!

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
    and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
    Churchill

  6. Quoted message said:

    yabut were you naked? Isn't it difficult to race naked?

    It doesn't feel much different, at least for me. Many of the
    women (more than half, I think) wore sports bras.

    Quoted message said:

    We have a few resorts with naked races around here, and I
    just can't see how anyone would want to participate. 5Ks
    are painful enough without exposing more stuff to sunburn,
    scratches, gravity, and the occasional extra scrutiny.

    For sunburn, there's sunscreen; I haven't had a problem. The
    course isn't overgrown -- even at its narrowest you could
    easily drive a golf cart through; in fact that's how the
    support folks got around -- so scratches were no problem.
    Scrutiny ... let's just say any extra was discreet and
    respectful.

    As for the overall question "why" ... it's fun! It really
    is. Can't really explain why.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
    and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
    Churchill

  7. Brian Baresch <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Last year I ran a few 5Ks in a series they have at
    naturist resorts around Texas, and I realized that if I'd
    run one more I'd have finish second in the masters
    category for the series. So this year I'm running more.
    The first one was Saturday near Austin.

    How do you do your speed training? Streaking through your
    neighborhood while the kids and dogs chase you down?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.