General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race report: Army 11.2 miler, 10/2/05

Started by Tom B. · · Last activity · 5 posts · 338 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 October 2005
Last activity
4 October 2005
Original author
Tom B.
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
338
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I wrote up a short report in the "October 2 Training Week" thread on
    Sunday, but there has been a lot more info flying around since then.
    The best source right now seems to be the bulletin boards on the ATM
    website. I'll give them credit for apparently NOT moderating these to
    remove posts which are critical of the race organizers.

    See:
    http://www.armytenmiler.com/exec/army/bulletin_board.cfm?publicationID=16

    And lots more discussion (somewhat less civil) at:
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1051138

    The short story goes as follows:
    - Largest 10 mile race in the US (18000-20000 runners)
    - Race starts as planned at 8:00 AM
    - Race organizers notified at 8:02 AM of "suspicious package" under the
    14th Street bridge (around mile 9 of the course)
    - Decision made about 8:40 AM to re-route runners back into Virginia
    via Memorial Bridge instead of 14th St, deviating from the original
    course around mile 7.5
    - Hastily erected balloon arch at original start line (about 1/2 mi
    from planned finish) marks the new finish line
    - No timing mats, no finishing times or places, no awards, no refunds

    I stopped my watch at the new finish, hoping to figure out the
    semi-official distance eventually. I've heard many estimates now, and
    they all seem to indicate it was very close to 11.2 miles. So I'm
    sticking with that.

    It seems to be definitely established now that the "suspicious package"
    was simply material from ongoing construction. The funniest rumor I've
    heard yet is that it was a construction worker's LUNCHBOX. That's so
    crazy, it sounds like it could easily be true!

    The good/bad news for me is that this was a big PR (old PR was 56:55).
    Damn, it would have been nice to make it official.

    Splits up through mile 7 were as follows:
    1) 5:45
    2) never saw it
    2+3) 11:26 (5:43 * 2)
    4) 5:34
    5) 5:41
    6) 5:40
    7) 5:43 -- 39:50 split
    8-11.2) 23:23 (5:34/mi avg) -- 1:03:14 final (5:38/mi avg)

    If I take my avg mile pace * 10, I get 56:27. If I take my 7 mi split
    and add 3 * 5:40, I get 56:50. The true number is in there somewhere.
    Regardless, it was my best WAVA age-graded race ever at around 82.5%.
    A great sign for the marathon in 2 weeks.

  2. Quoth Tom B. <[email hidden]>:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The short story goes as follows:
    - Largest 10 mile race in the US (18000-20000 runners)
    - Race starts as planned at 8:00 AM
    - Race organizers notified at 8:02 AM of "suspicious package" under the
    14th Street bridge (around mile 9 of the course)
    - Decision made about 8:40 AM to re-route runners back into Virginia
    via Memorial Bridge instead of 14th St, deviating from the original
    course around mile 7.5
    - Hastily erected balloon arch at original start line (about 1/2 mi
    from planned finish) marks the new finish line
    - No timing mats, no finishing times or places, no awards, no refunds

    Looking at the main page, I see the line:

    "Awards will be given for: HOOAH Tent."

    What the heck does that mean.

    A couple of the regulars in my neighborhood were running with you. I
    know they were disappointed, too. I was running on the VA side at
    0630, I love seeing the Lincoln and Washington Memorials reflected in
    the Potomac at dawn. At least it was *really* nice weather for a race.

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The good/bad news for me is that this was a big PR (old PR was 56:55).
    Damn, it would have been nice to make it official.

    Congratulations on the PR; sorry it wasn't official.

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    If I take my avg mile pace * 10, I get 56:27. If I take my 7 mi split
    and add 3 * 5:40, I get 56:50. The true number is in there somewhere.
    Regardless, it was my best WAVA age-graded race ever at around 82.5%.
    A great sign for the marathon in 2 weeks.

    82.5%! I'll be happy if I ever reach 50% in a race. Good luck in
    Ballmer.

    Cheers,
    Craig

    --
    Corollary to Clarke's Third Law:
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
    advanced.

  3. Tom B. said:

    And lots more discussion (somewhat less civil) at:
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1051138

    Less than civil discussions at letsrun - what is this world coming to??

    Quoted message said:

    The good/bad news for me is that this was a big PR

    Tom, big congrats for having run so well! Even from here I can
    empathize with the huge frustration thousands feel at the lack of even
    finish places let alone times and the correct distance.

    Pendejo, wondering just how scary fast is the parallel-universe Tom,
    who runs more than thrice monthly

  4. "Craig Pennington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Looking at the main page, I see the line:

    "Awards will be given for: HOOAH Tent."

    What the heck does that mean.

    They gave the award for the tent that best exemplified the <I forget exact
    words> spirit -- education, inspiration, something else, I think.
    It went to the Mountain Div. IIRC.
    bj

  5. Quoth bj <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    "Craig Pennington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Looking at the main page, I see the line:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Awards will be given for: HOOAH Tent."

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What the heck does that mean.

    Quoted message said:

    They gave the award for the tent that best exemplified the <I forget exact
    words> spirit -- education, inspiration, something else, I think.
    It went to the Mountain Div. IIRC.

    Ah, so it was not a running award. It would have been nice to have some
    sort of alternative/unofficial race ordering and times at least -- but
    with no mat, I guess that wasn't feasable. It's a shame.

    Cheers,
    Craig

    --
    Corollary to Clarke's Third Law:
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
    advanced.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.