General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

questions about cardio training (frequences, intensity, etc...)

Started by Hueyduck · · Last activity · 12 posts · 341 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 August 2004
Last activity
9 September 2004
Original author
Hueyduck
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
341
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone,

    I just bought a device to measure my heart rate monitor, and I find it
    so much fun to be able to see precisely how effective my activity is.
    Anyway, I have some questions for the cardiotraining specialists out there:

    - for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    *real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    - The instruction manual of my monitor says that in orderto use fat, you
    need to be between 60 and 70 bpm. They say it is a light to moderate
    effort. Is there any real proportion between heart rate beating and
    calorie burned ? I guess so but it's not so obvious to me.

    Thanks for your answers and have a nice evening.

    Huey

    ============================================
    Huey / started LC October 27th 2002
    (1.74 m) 5ft 8 inch tall
    lbs : 234 / 186 / 147 (-47) mini-goal : 182 lbs by August 20th 2004
    kg : 106.4 / 84.9 / 67 (-21) mini-goal : 83 kg by August 20th 2004
    ===========================================

  2. "Hueyduck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everyone,

    I just bought a device to measure my heart rate monitor, and I find it

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    - The instruction manual of my monitor says that in orderto use fat, you
    need to be between 60 and 70 bpm.

    It says 60 and 70 *PERCENT* of your max heartrate, not bpm :-) HUGE diff :P

    Peace,
    Pen
    --
    Pawbreakers - The Candy for Cats!
    http://www.pawbreakers.com

  3. Penelope Baker said:
    Quoted message said:

    - The instruction manual of my monitor says that in orderto use fat, you
    need to be between 60 and 70 bpm.

    It says 60 and 70 *PERCENT* of your max heartrate, not bpm :-) HUGE diff :P

    Sure. I absolutely understood that . I just made a mistake typing the
    message.
    Actually, I know that the best rate to lose fat is 113 to 132 bpm for me.

    Thanks anyway for pointing this mistyping :-)

    Huey

  4. Hueyduck <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everyone,

    I just bought a device to measure my heart rate monitor, and I find it
    so much fun to be able to see precisely how effective my activity is.
    Anyway, I have some questions for the cardiotraining specialists out there:

    - for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    *real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    YES

    Quoted message said:


    - The instruction manual of my monitor says that in orderto use fat, you
    need to be between 60 and 70 bpm. They say it is a light to moderate
    effort. Is there any real proportion between heart rate beating and
    calorie burned ? I guess so but it's not so obvious to me.

    you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat to glucose at that level, but at
    higher intensities you burn more overall calories.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for your answers and have a nice evening.

    Huey

    ============================================
    Huey / started LC October 27th 2002
    (1.74 m) 5ft 8 inch tall
    lbs : 234 / 186 / 147 (-47) mini-goal : 182 lbs by August 20th 2004
    kg : 106.4 / 84.9 / 67 (-21) mini-goal : 83 kg by August 20th 2004
    ===========================================

  5. billydee said:
    Quoted message said:

    - for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    *real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    YES


    Thanks for your answer. Could you give us number. Like the theoric
    number and the real thing after having been to the doc.

    Thanks again.

    Huey

  6. "billydee" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat to glucose at that level, but at
    higher intensities you burn more overall calories.

    That's right. I read a good post from Lyle MacDonald once that addressed
    this subject. Maybe Huey could find it by doing a Google search. At any
    rate, he pretty much shot out of the water the concept of exercising at
    certain rates in order to "burn more fat".

    True that you burn different proportions of fat to glucose depending on
    various factors including exercise intensity and duration, but the bottom
    line is to use up energy (calories) via any permutation of exercise in order
    to hopefully create or increase a negative calorie balance. That's what
    actually causes fat loss over a period of days, weeks etc. In other words,
    burn more calories and you'll lose more fat, assuming food intake stays the
    same.

    Besides which, if you're doing a ketogenic low-carb diet, you don't have all
    that much stored glucose anyhow and will be burning mostly fat regardless of
    intensity.

    HG

  7. Hueyduck <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    billydee said:
    Quoted message said:

    - for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    *real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    YES


    Thanks for your answer. Could you give us number. Like the theoric
    number and the real thing after having been to the doc.

    Thanks again.

    Huey

    My actual max HR is about 200 determined through a stress test at the
    drs office. My predicted using 220-age is 181. If you do regular
    cardio there is no reason you have to lose a beat a year, though it
    eventually will decrease--no stopping the aging process entirely. The
    220-age thing was designed for sedentary individuals and is more
    accurate for those that eat bon-bons on the couch than those who
    engage in regular activity.

  8. "Hannah Gruen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "billydee" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat to glucose at that level, but at
    higher intensities you burn more overall calories.

    That's right. I read a good post from Lyle MacDonald once that addressed
    this subject. Maybe Huey could find it by doing a Google search. At any
    rate, he pretty much shot out of the water the concept of exercising at
    certain rates in order to "burn more fat".

    True that you burn different proportions of fat to glucose depending on
    various factors including exercise intensity and duration, but the bottom
    line is to use up energy (calories) via any permutation of exercise in order
    to hopefully create or increase a negative calorie balance. That's what
    actually causes fat loss over a period of days, weeks etc. In other words,
    burn more calories and you'll lose more fat, assuming food intake stays the
    same.

    Besides which, if you're doing a ketogenic low-carb diet, you don't have all
    that much stored glucose anyhow and will be burning mostly fat regardless of
    intensity.

    HG

    At higher intensities you have to be careful of
    overtraining--especially on a ketogenic diet. Sometimes it is best to
    back off the intensity. You have to listen to your body. It's not
    always best to go as hard as you can all the time.

  9. billydee said:

    Hueyduck <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    billydee said:

    >- for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    >*real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    >results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    YES


    Thanks for your answer. Could you give us number. Like the theoric
    number and the real thing after having been to the doc.

    Thanks again.

    Huey

    My actual max HR is about 200 determined through a stress test at the
    drs office. My predicted using 220-age is 181. If you do regular
    cardio there is no reason you have to lose a beat a year, though it
    eventually will decrease--no stopping the aging process entirely. The
    220-age thing was designed for sedentary individuals and is more
    accurate for those that eat bon-bons on the couch than those who
    engage in regular activity.

    I think it's an individual thing. My calculated max HR is 180, and that's
    about what my max HR is according to my HR monitor. But my max HR has
    been 180 for a while now.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  10. "billydee" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    At higher intensities you have to be careful of
    overtraining--especially on a ketogenic diet. Sometimes it is best to
    back off the intensity. You have to listen to your body. It's not
    always best to go as hard as you can all the time.

    Good point. I'm not sure whether I agree this is more true for a person who
    is long-term adapted to a ketogenic diet, but you could be right. I totally
    agree about the "listening to your body" thing. I think it's the most
    important thing I've learned over the years, in terms of both diet and
    exercise.

    've gotten myself into an overtrained state more than a few times and it's
    really counterproductive in the long run. I don't think most casual
    exercisers are aware of it when they get there. In fact, I'd never really
    heard of it nor was I aware of the symptoms. Even after hearing about it, I
    assumed it would apply only to "serious" athletes, not just some middleaged
    lady who came home from work and ran too many miles, too often.

    HG

  11. Hannah Gruen said:

    "billydee" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    At higher intensities you have to be careful of
    overtraining--especially on a ketogenic diet. Sometimes it is best to
    back off the intensity. You have to listen to your body. It's not
    always best to go as hard as you can all the time.

    Good point. I'm not sure whether I agree this is more true for a person
    who
    is long-term adapted to a ketogenic diet, but you could be right. I
    totally
    agree about the "listening to your body" thing. I think it's the most
    important thing I've learned over the years, in terms of both diet and
    exercise.

    've gotten myself into an overtrained state more than a few times and
    it's
    really counterproductive in the long run. I don't think most casual
    exercisers are aware of it when they get there. In fact, I'd never really
    heard of it nor was I aware of the symptoms. Even after hearing about
    it, I
    assumed it would apply only to "serious" athletes, not just some
    middleaged
    lady who came home from work and ran too many miles, too often.

    HG

    It would be great if there was a simple test for overtraining.
    Supposedly, you can take your heart rate in the morning as soon as you
    wake. If your resting HR is several beats above what it is normally, you
    might be overtrained (or had one too many beers!). However, even this
    isn't that reliable, supposedly. My problem is that I have to get up so
    quickly to get dressed and get outside, that I always forget to take my HR.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  12. Hueyduck wrote:
    || Hi everyone,
    ||
    || I just bought a device to measure my heart rate monitor, and I find
    || it
    || so much fun to be able to see precisely how effective my activity is.
    || Anyway, I have some questions for the cardiotraining specialists out
    || there:
    ||
    || - for those who took the time (and spent the money) to check their
    || *real* maximal heart rate, did you find a big difference between the
    || results and the theoric "220-age" number ?

    I've found it to be pretty close for me, but others frequently find
    otherwise.

    ||
    || - The instruction manual of my monitor says that in orderto use fat,
    || you need to be between 60 and 70 bpm. They say it is a light to
    || moderate effort. Is there any real proportion between heart rate
    || beating and calorie burned ? I guess so but it's not so obvious to
    || me.

    This old notion has been challenged a lot in recent times. If you train in
    the range of 60 to 70%, you may indeed burn more fat, but you don't expend
    that much energy. On the other hand, if you mix really hard intervals of
    training with low intervals, you can end up burning more energy in the same
    amount of time. In addition, according to the theory, you can ramp up your
    body's use of energy for a longer period of time after the exercise. So, if
    you do the latter (called high-intensity interval training, or HIIT) you can
    get (so the theory goes) up to 9 times more fat burned. But rather than
    reading my 2-minute description, do some reading of your own:

    http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cardio.html
    http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/bodycomp.htm
    http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

    and if you try it, please report back on your progress.

    ||
    || Thanks for your answers and have a nice evening.
    ||
    ||
    || Huey
    ||
    || ============================================
    || Huey / started LC October 27th 2002
    || (1.74 m) 5ft 8 inch tall
    || lbs : 234 / 186 / 147 (-47) mini-goal : 182 lbs by August 20th 2004
    || kg : 106.4 / 84.9 / 67 (-21) mini-goal : 83 kg by August 20th 2004
    || ===========================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.