General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Qigong massage - Proper and improper

Started by Jim Bouton · · Last activity · 13 posts · 3,505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 January 2004
Last activity
12 January 2004
Original author
Jim Bouton
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There was a thread here some time ago on massage where the masseuse

    person. Is there some book that describes many massages and their techniques. I have started going
    on to these Qigong/Tuina massage places her in NY and find they do a good job. Usually though it
    involves some massaging of the buttocks, when it is done it does not feel as if it is done

    it helps the pain I feel in my joints due to cancer that I have. My regular massage therapist at a
    chiropractice does not do it that way although she does work the side of the thigh. I'm just curious
    if there is some website that describes the various massages from shiatsu, deep tissue, qigong.
    Asian bodywork is quite different. One person recommended a tantric massage

    desire for (in my opinion which is my own, I see it as no different than a prostitute, but again
    that is my opinion). Of course with any massage one can always say no if it feels "uncomfortable"
    which I have done on occasion but at times it may be due to not understanding how certain massages
    are. This is coming from a man who at one point had a full-body massage with all his clothes on
    (actually a suit) and the therapist looked at me like I was weird but gave me a massage, until I
    became comfortable with someone putting their hands on my body directly. I know there must be
    websites out there that describe various massages, does anyone know of them or a book or maybe
    someone has knowledge of these different types.

    Thanks Jim

  2. Jim Bouton said:


    There was a thread here some time ago on massage where the masseuse

    Quoted message said:

    person. Is there some book that describes many massages and their techniques. I have started going
    on to these Qigong/Tuina massage places her in NY and find they do a good job. Usually though it
    involves some massaging of the buttocks, when it is done it does not feel as if it is done

    Quoted message said:

    it helps the pain I feel in my joints due to cancer that I have. My regular massage therapist at a
    chiropractice does not do it that way although she does work the side of the thigh. I'm just
    curious if there is some website that describes the various massages from shiatsu, deep tissue,
    qigong. Asian bodywork is quite different. One person recommended a tantric massage

    Quoted message said:

    desire for (in my opinion which is my own, I see it as no different than a prostitute, but again
    that is my opinion). Of course with any massage one can always say no if it feels "uncomfortable"
    which I have done on occasion but at times it may be due to not understanding how certain massages
    are. This is coming from a man who at one point had a full-body massage with all his clothes on
    (actually a suit) and the therapist looked at me like I was weird but gave me a massage, until I
    became comfortable with someone putting their hands on my body directly. I know there must be
    websites out there that describe various massages, does anyone know of them or a book or maybe
    someone has knowledge of these different types.

    Everyone's massage is individual, whether swedish, shiatsu, deep tissure or tui na. Some do the
    gluteals (buttocks), others do not. As massage puts one in a relaxed state, sometimes a partial
    erection can result

    massagers do not try to elicit this response, but it's just something that may occur as the body
    becomes relaxed.

    sue

  3. Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There was a thread here some time ago on massage where the masseuse

    Quoted message said:

    person. Is there some book that describes many massages and their techniques. I have started going
    on to these Qigong/Tuina massage places her in NY and find they do a good job. Usually though it
    involves some massaging of the buttocks, when it is done it does not feel as if it is


    done

    and

    Quoted message said:

    it helps the pain I feel in my joints due to cancer that I have. My


    regular

    Quoted message said:

    massage therapist at a chiropractice does not do it that way although she does work the side of
    the thigh. I'm just curious if there is some


    website

    Quoted message said:

    that describes the various massages from shiatsu, deep tissue, qigong. Asian bodywork is quite
    different. One person recommended a tantric


    massage

    Quoted message said:

    desire for (in my opinion which is my own, I see it as no different than a prostitute, but again
    that is my opinion). Of course with any massage one can always say no if it feels "uncomfortable"
    which I have done on


    occasion

    Quoted message said:

    but at times it may be due to not understanding how certain massages are. This is coming from a
    man who at one point had a full-body massage with


    all

    Quoted message said:

    his clothes on (actually a suit) and the therapist looked at me like I was weird but gave me a
    massage, until I became comfortable with someone


    putting

    Quoted message said:

    their hands on my body directly. I know there must be websites out there that describe various
    massages, does anyone know of them or a book or


    maybe

    Quoted message said:

    someone has knowledge of these different types.

    Thanks Jim

    I would suggest just doing searches on each modality you are interested in and reading what you
    find. I am sure there are books and sites that briefly describe many modalities but for a more
    intense description you will have to delve a bit deeper. Any massage you receive should be
    comfortable though, regardless of the type. You asked about Asian types and I will say that shiatsu
    is not massage. I do think shiatsu has been discussed before so I won't get into that. If the
    therapy you are getting done is TuiNai and it works for you, stick with it. Tuinai is basically
    massage as it was studied in China for generations and it does differ from Western massage. If you
    are interested in Asian Bodytherapies, I would suggest going to www.aobta.org

    T

  4. Let me ask a stupid question then, what is shiatsu? I know you don't want to go into it, but I'm not
    looking for a long explanation, but in simple terms how would you describe shiatsu to a laymen like
    myself. I appreciate the thoughts expressed.

    Thanks

    Jim

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There was a thread here some time ago on massage where the masseuse

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    person. Is there some book that describes many massages and their techniques. I have started
    going on to these Qigong/Tuina massage


    places

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    her in NY and find they do a good job. Usually though it involves some massaging of the
    buttocks, when it is done it does not feel as if it is


    done

    Quoted message said:

    and

    Quoted message said:

    it helps the pain I feel in my joints due to cancer that I have. My


    regular

    Quoted message said:

    massage therapist at a chiropractice does not do it that way although


    she

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    does work the side of the thigh. I'm just curious if there is some


    website

    Quoted message said:

    that describes the various massages from shiatsu, deep tissue, qigong. Asian bodywork is quite
    different. One person recommended a tantric


    massage

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    desire for (in my opinion which is my own, I see it as no different than


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    prostitute, but again that is my opinion). Of course with any massage


    one

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    can always say no if it feels "uncomfortable" which I have done on


    occasion

    Quoted message said:

    but at times it may be due to not understanding how certain massages


    are.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is coming from a man who at one point had a full-body massage with


    all

    Quoted message said:

    his clothes on (actually a suit) and the therapist looked at me like I


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    weird but gave me a massage, until I became comfortable with someone


    putting

    Quoted message said:

    their hands on my body directly. I know there must be websites out


    there

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that describe various massages, does anyone know of them or a book or


    maybe

    Quoted message said:

    someone has knowledge of these different types.

    Thanks Jim

    I would suggest just doing searches on each modality you are interested in and reading what you
    find. I am sure there are books and sites that


    briefly

    Quoted message said:

    describe many modalities but for a more intense description you will have


    to

    Quoted message said:

    delve a bit deeper. Any massage you receive should be comfortable though, regardless of the type.
    You asked about Asian types and I will say that shiatsu is not massage. I do think shiatsu has
    been discussed before so I won't get into that. If the therapy you are getting done is TuiNai and
    it works for you, stick with it. Tuinai is basically massage as it was


    studied

    Quoted message said:

    in China for generations and it does differ from Western massage. If you


    are

    Quoted message said:

    interested in Asian Bodytherapies, I would suggest going to www.aobta.org

    T

  5. Appreciate the thought, helps me to keep from sort of feeling like sleeze. I have been in massage
    shops and have actually heard men ask legitimate masseuse for little "favors" which of course has
    gotten them a response that they need to go to another place. Unfortunately there are some persons
    who go to these places looking for this.

    Jim

    "suzee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jim Bouton said:


    There was a thread here some time ago on massage where the masseuse

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    person. Is there some book that describes many massages and their techniques. I have started
    going on to these Qigong/Tuina massage


    places

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    her in NY and find they do a good job. Usually though it involves some massaging of the
    buttocks, when it is done it does not feel as if it is


    done

    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it helps the pain I feel in my joints due to cancer that I have. My


    regular

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    massage therapist at a chiropractice does not do it that way although


    she

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    does work the side of the thigh. I'm just curious if there is some


    website

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that describes the various massages from shiatsu, deep tissue, qigong. Asian bodywork is quite
    different. One person recommended a tantric


    massage

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    desire for (in my opinion which is my own, I see it as no different than


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    prostitute, but again that is my opinion). Of course with any massage


    one

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    can always say no if it feels "uncomfortable" which I have done on


    occasion

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but at times it may be due to not understanding how certain massages


    are.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is coming from a man who at one point had a full-body massage with


    all

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    his clothes on (actually a suit) and the therapist looked at me like I


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    weird but gave me a massage, until I became comfortable with someone


    putting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    their hands on my body directly. I know there must be websites out


    there

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that describe various massages, does anyone know of them or a book or


    maybe

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    someone has knowledge of these different types.

    Everyone's massage is individual, whether swedish, shiatsu, deep tissure or tui na. Some do the
    gluteals (buttocks), others do not. As massage puts one in a relaxed state, sometimes a partial
    erection can result

    Quoted message said:

    massagers do not try to elicit this response, but it's just something that may occur as the body
    becomes relaxed.

    sue

  6. Jim Bouton said:


    Let me ask a stupid question then, what is shiatsu? I know you don't want to go into it, but I'm
    not looking for a long explanation, but in simple terms how would you describe shiatsu to a laymen
    like myself. I appreciate the thoughts expressed.

    There used to be a massge FAQ posted to alt.backrubs, and may still be found in Google archives,
    that explained some of the differences in types of massage. Shiatsu is generally lumped in there,
    though technically, it isn't massage. Massage is manipulating the soft tissue - muscles and skin.
    Shiatsu is finger pressure and holding at points on lines (meridians) on the body, without rubbing.
    It's usually done fully clothed as the pressure can be felt through the cloth. Hope that clarifies
    it for you.

    sue

  7. Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Let me ask a stupid question then, what is shiatsu? I know you don't want to go into it, but I'm
    not looking for a long explanation, but in simple terms how would you describe shiatsu to a laymen
    like myself. I


    appreciate

    Quoted message said:

    the thoughts expressed.

    Thanks

    Jim

    Hardly a stupid question Jim.Shiatsu utilizes principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and works
    to bring balance to the body by working the meridian (channels of Qi). Unlike massage, Shiatsu is
    done with the clothes on and uses no oils or lotions. The practitioner uses hands, palms, fingers,
    elbows or even feet to work on the meridians and tsubos (acu-points). Much like Acupuncture, there
    is an assessment before the session, asking of various questions, pulse, tongue and/or hara
    diagnose. When getting a session, the client can be moved and stretched also to open the channels.

    I hope that helps a bit. 🙂 If looking for a Shiatsu practitioner in your area, again I would
    suggest going to the aobta website to find a qualified therapist.

    T

  8. Thanks, I think I might be interested in trying it

    Jim

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Let me ask a stupid question then, what is shiatsu? I know you don't


    want

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to go into it, but I'm not looking for a long explanation, but in simple terms how would you
    describe shiatsu to a laymen like myself. I


    appreciate

    Quoted message said:

    the thoughts expressed.

    Thanks

    Jim

    Hardly a stupid question Jim.Shiatsu utilizes principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and works
    to bring balance to the body by working the meridian (channels of Qi). Unlike massage, Shiatsu is
    done with the


    clothes

    Quoted message said:

    on and uses no oils or lotions. The practitioner uses hands, palms,


    fingers,

    Quoted message said:

    elbows or even feet to work on the meridians and tsubos (acu-points). Much like Acupuncture, there
    is an assessment before the session, asking of various questions, pulse, tongue and/or hara
    diagnose. When getting a session, the client can be moved and stretched also to open the channels.

    I hope that helps a bit. 🙂 If looking for a Shiatsu practitioner in your area, again I would
    suggest going to the aobta website to find a qualified therapist.

    T

  9. Here's a couple links I found

    geocities.comMassage FAQ kjartan.orgbackrubfaq

    Both give some descriptions of different massage styles, as well as what to expect from a massage
    and what is not usual in one.

    sue

  10. Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, I think I might be interested in trying it

    Jim

    Where about are you located? I might be able to find you someone.

    T

  11. Good information, thanks for providing the link

    jim

    "suzee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a couple links I found

    geocities.comMassage FAQ kjartan.orgbackrubfaq

    Both give some descriptions of different massage styles, as well as what to expect from a massage
    and what is not usual in one.

    sue

  12. I'm located in NYC

    Jim

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, I think I might be interested in trying it

    Jim

    Where about are you located? I might be able to find you someone.

    T

  13. I looked at the aobta website and found a few in NYC that do shiatsu. Check it out..... when you go
    to the site, click on find a member on the left. I would suggest since I don't know anyone
    personally, that you look for someone who has a title of Dipl. ABT after their name.

    Good luck. Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm located in NYC

    Jim

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jim Bouton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, I think I might be interested in trying it

    Jim

    Where about are you located? I might be able to find you someone.

    T


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.