UK and Europe · Public discussion

Q: Cycle shops and sensible advice for a buyer

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 7 posts · 459 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 June 2006
Last activity
20 June 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
459
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My friend wants to buy a mountain bike, and she has some reasonable idea
    and budget requirements. But, she's been into a few shops alone and I with
    her into another and there is a problem.

    The salespeople (err, staff really!) are either enthusiastic and want to
    sell her a fantastic super light and (perhaps) overly technically advanced
    bike. Or, they want to sell the most expensive bike.

    What we/she needs is a shop which she can go into, say "I want to do X and
    the bike to have Y and I have Z pounds to spend", and then will produce a
    selection[1] of 3-ish appropriately priced bikes AND let her test ride
    them.

    I live in Reading, my friend in London[2], and Cambridge is not an
    unreasonable other destination.

    Has anyone advice on a good shop which is interested in my friend buying
    the right bike[3] rather than just making money?

    Ali

    [1] She tried a giant and then a marin, and noted (sensibly) the
    difference in frame geometry (but she couldn't test them at the time).

    [2] She'd been to Brixton Cycle Co-op and said they were "too
    enthusiastic" (no bad thing, but...) and prodded her toward too expensive
    bikes.

    [3] I've experience it, but with road bikes.

    --
    Nazim Ali Bharmal www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/~nab/
    194, Shinfield Road, Reading RG2 7DU 07876 22 83 77

  2. Quoted message said:

    My friend wants to buy a mountain bike, and she has some reasonable
    idea and budget requirements. But, she's been into a few shops alone
    and I with her into another and there is a problem.

    Does she want to ride on mountains? If not, why buy a mountain bike?

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  3. Quoted message said:


    I live in Reading, my friend in London[2], and Cambridge is not an
    unreasonable other destination.

    Has anyone advice on a good shop which is interested in my friend buying
    the right bike[3] rather than just making money?

    I got my most recent bike from Berkshire Cycles, although it was the
    Crowthorne branch rather than either of their Reading ones.
    (http://www.berkshirecycles.com/)

    They let me take the bike for a test ride and, despite telling them I
    had £400 to spend, I ended up spending about half my budget on something
    that still met my requirements.

  4. Chris Eilbeck said:
    Quoted message said:

    My friend wants to buy a mountain bike, and she has some reasonable
    idea and budget requirements. But, she's been into a few shops alone
    and I with her into another and there is a problem.

    Does she want to ride on mountains? If not, why buy a mountain bike?

    Yes, hence this being one of the specific requirements---but "a" mountain
    bike is not "the" mountain bike etc... hence her need for help in finding
    a shop to aid her.

    And since we're on the subject (!), if anyone can point me toward good
    off-road (mountain) cycling around Swansea (more particularly, near the
    DVLA which is her office location) then that'd be handy. Perhaps a local
    club which takes in beginners?

    Ali
    --
    Nazim Ali Bharmal www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/~nab/
    194, Shinfield Road, Reading RG2 7DU 07876 22 83 77

  5. Quoted message said:


    And since we're on the subject (!), if anyone can point me toward good
    off-road (mountain) cycling around Swansea (more particularly, near the
    DVLA which is her office location) then that'd be handy. Perhaps a local
    club which takes in beginners?

    Ali

    You are spoiled for choice.

    try this link of images of non technical trails

    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/warings/

    There are also tougher routes all over the place. Afan Argoed and
    Glyncorrwg have a lot to offer all types of mountain bikers. The
    Millenium Coastal park around Llanelli contains a surprisingly lovely
    all bike cycle path. (The Lougher peninsular used to be all specialist
    steel and other metal works). There is an interesting area near the
    centre of Swansea. The industrial processes carried out there made
    the land unstable so they can not build on it so there is a park with
    bike paths.

    I am not from Swansea but there is no shortage of any kind of cycling
    there. Road, family cycling, cross country, downhill its all
    available nearby.

  6. [email hidden said:

    "]My friend wants to buy a mountain bike, and she has some reasonable idea
    and budget requirements. But, she's been into a few shops alone and I with
    her into another and there is a problem.

    The salespeople (err, staff really!) are either enthusiastic and want to
    sell her a fantastic super light and (perhaps) overly technically advanced
    bike. Or, they want to sell the most expensive bike.

    What we/she needs is a shop which she can go into, say "I want to do X and
    the bike to have Y and I have Z pounds to spend", and then will produce a
    selection[1] of 3-ish appropriately priced bikes AND let her test ride
    them.

    I live in Reading, my friend in London[2], and Cambridge is not an
    unreasonable other destination.

    Has anyone advice on a good shop which is interested in my friend buying
    the right bike[3] rather than just making money?

    Ali

    [1] She tried a giant and then a marin, and noted (sensibly) the
    difference in frame geometry (but she couldn't test them at the time).

    [2] She'd been to Brixton Cycle Co-op and said they were "too
    enthusiastic" (no bad thing, but...) and prodded her toward too expensive
    bikes.

    [3] I've experience it, but with road bikes.

    --
    Nazim Ali Bharmal www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/~nab/
    194, Shinfield Road, Reading RG2 7DU 07876 22 83 77

    It always seems to be a bit hit and miss in cycles shops. A friend of mine went to Condor in London last year after having a few bad experiences at other shops, and had magnificient service, despite 'only' want to spend £350-400 on a bike. he then recommended them to another friend, who got quite bad service as he only wanted to spend that much (my experoience of them was also very good, but then again I am investigating spending 'How much!?' on a bike (if you have to ask it;s too much :-). So ccondor are recommened, but YMMV.

    As for Reading AW Cycles seem to get some good reviews, and reports, sory can't say anything about Cambridge. As for particular bikes, just trawl through the hundres of 'Recommend me a new bike please' posts, you're bound to find he same advice spouted again and again.

    Bryan

  7. Quoted message said:

    My friend wants to buy a mountain bike....

    What we/she needs is a shop which she can go into, say "I want to do X and
    the bike to have Y and I have Z pounds to spend", and then will produce a
    selection[1] of 3-ish appropriately priced bikes AND let her test ride
    them.

    I live in Reading, my friend in London[2], and Cambridge is not an
    unreasonable other destination.

    Has anyone advice on a good shop which is interested in my friend buying
    the right bike[3] rather than just making money?

    In Cambridge the choice is either

    Ben Hayward Cycles, 69 Trumpington Street
    01223 301118
    http://www.benhaywardcycles.com/
    (in the centre of town)

    or

    Howes Cycles, 104 Regent Street
    01223 350350
    (between the staton and the centre of town)

    I prefer Ben Hayward Cycles. They sell a good range of bikes from a
    rather cramped shop close to King's College. Because Cambridge has such
    a wide range of cyclists they are happy to work with whatever price
    band you ask for. I've bought both mountain bikes and touring bikes
    from them in the past. They can get quite busy on Saturdays - it might
    be worth phoning in advance. Try and talk to Rob Turner the owner if
    possible.

    PaulO

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.