Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Pumps to fit shocks and forks ?

Started by Gwood · · Last activity · 18 posts · 2,285 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 October 2003
Last activity
29 October 2003
Original author
Gwood
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,285
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit both my Fox Float R and my
    wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

    Tnx

  2. Hi,

    My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up to approx 100psi (like mine, I
    weight 170lbs) or more depending on your bike's setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the
    Bomber on your wife's bike, but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi
    for a full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for spring/air fork. Please check the
    manual for correct air pressure!

    I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can go up to 300psi. I use it for my
    Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.

    Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the fork (both low volume), but
    it will take you ages to get your tires inflated.

    Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of pump, high volume &
    high pressure.

    "Gwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit


    both

    Quoted message said:

    my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

    Tnx

  3. "Colin" <[email hidden]> skrev i en meddelelse "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up to approx 100psi (like mine,
    I weight 170lbs) or more depending on your


    bike's

    Quoted message said:

    setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the Bomber on your wife's


    bike,

    Quoted message said:

    but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for spring/air fork. Please check the
    manual for correct air pressure!

    I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can go up


    to

    Quoted message said:

    300psi. I use it for my Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.

    Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the fork (both low volume),
    but it will take you ages to get your tires inflated.

    Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of pump, high volume & high
    pressure.

    High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

    A 0-300 Psi pump will do the trick for both your shox/forx

    Peter

  4. Quoted message said:

    "Colin" <[email hidden]> skrev i en meddelelse "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up to approx 100psi (like mine,
    I weight 170lbs) or more depending on your


    bike's

    Quoted message said:

    setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the Bomber on your wife's


    bike,

    Quoted message said:

    but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for spring/air fork. Please check the
    manual for correct air pressure!

    I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can go up


    to

    Quoted message said:

    300psi. I use it for my Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.

    Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the fork (both low volume),
    but it will take you ages to get your tires inflated.

    Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of pump, high volume & high
    pressure.

    High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

    No, there is a difference. Check it..

    cycletechinc.compump.htm

    A 0-300 Psi pump will do the trick for both your shox/forx

    Quoted message said:


    Peter

    Yep!

  5. "Dave W" <[email hidden]> skrev i en meddelelse
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

    No, there is a difference. Check it..

    cycletechinc.compump.htm

    Arhhh, never used one of those. But All forks and shocks has a fairly small airchamber, so pumps
    like those is a bit overkill :-)

    Always use a "real" shock/fork pump for your...shock/fork :-). I could imagine that all the air in
    the tube in the high volume pumps could misinform you about the PSIs in the fork/shock?

    Peter

  6. Quoted message said:

    "Dave W" <[email hidden]> skrev i en meddelelse
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

    No, there is a difference. Check it..

    cycletechinc.compump.htm

    Arhhh, never used one of those. But All forks and shocks has a fairly small airchamber, so pumps
    like those is a bit overkill :-)

    Always use a "real" shock/fork pump for your...shock/fork :-). I could imagine that all the air in
    the tube in the high volume pumps could misinform you about the PSIs in the fork/shock?

    Peter

    agreed. Just using the link to illustrate that there are indeed "high volume/high pressure" pumps.
    From air to fuel to oil.

  7. Colin said:

    Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the fork (both low volume),
    but it will take you ages to get your tires inflated.

    Where did he ask about pumping up tires with a shock pump? <G>

    I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for forks and shocks. I've had others,
    but I like this one the best so far.

    Barry

  8. "Gwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit


    both

    Quoted message said:

    my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

    Tnx

    You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one -100psi for the fork. Since
    a small change in air pressure in the fork makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump doesn't have
    enough resolution on the gauge to measure it accurately.

    Mike

  9. Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for forks and shocks. I've had
    others, but I like this one the best so far.

    I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held air. Do any shock pumps
    hold air? Thank God for coil...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Squid-in-Training said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for forks and shocks. I've had
    others, but I like this one the best so far.

    I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held air. Do any shock pumps
    hold air? Thank God for coil...

    The Wrench Force holds air fine, but mine is only attached for a few minutes at a time.

    Are you riding around with the pump attached? <G>

    Barry

  11. Quoted message said:

    Are you riding around with the pump attached? <G>

    Of course! They did feature "on the fly" adjustment...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. I've been using the Fox pump that came with my superlight for four years now. It has an adapter that
    let's it fit screw and non-screw valves and goes to fairly high pressure - 300psi. The face is just
    as cracked as the day I got it and it works fine. The shock, however, is another story. It leaks air
    such that I have to fill it for every ride (all five that I have gone on ths year)... One of these
    days I'll get a new one and have this one rebuilt for a spair. It works fine, just doesn't hold air
    for long. But until I start riding seriously again, I'll keep pumping up for everyride.

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for forks and shocks. I've had
    others, but I like this one the best so far.

    I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held air. Do any shock pumps
    hold air? Thank God for coil...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  13. "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Gwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit


    both

    Quoted message said:

    my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

    Tnx

    You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one -100psi for the fork.
    Since a small change in air pressure in the fork makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump doesn't
    have enough resolution on the gauge to measure it accurately.

    Mike

    That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as 0-300PSI. I gave up. An easy sell
    I suppose. It seems to work just fine. Besides, whats a few pounds here and there?

    Bob

  14. "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Gwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit


    both

    Quoted message said:

    my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

    Tnx

    You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one -100psi for the fork.
    Since a small change in air pressure in the fork makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump
    doesn't have enough resolution


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the gauge to measure it accurately.

    Mike

    That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as


    -300PSI.

    Quoted message said:

    I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine. Besides, whats a few pounds here
    and there?

    Bob


    I wouldn't give up so easy. I think it really makes a difference.

    Mike

  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as


    -300PSI.

    Quoted message said:

    I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine. Besides, whats a few pounds here
    and there?

    Bob


    I wouldn't give up so easy. I think it really makes a difference.

    Mike

    What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and mark the point on it where
    your shocks are at the presure you want. Actually what really, really makes a difference is to mark
    the amount of sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time 🙂
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

  16. Chris Phillipo said:

    What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and mark the point on it where
    your shocks are at the presure you want. Actually what really, really makes a difference is to mark
    the amount of sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time 🙂

    Right-O!

    Most pumps sold for cycling, tire, shock or otherwise don't have very accurate gauges when compared
    to a standard.

    All you want is a repeatable mark. The numbers aren't really useful.

    Barry

  17. "Chris Phillipo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as


    -300PSI.

    Quoted message said:

    I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine. Besides, whats a few pounds
    here and there?

    Bob


    I wouldn't give up so easy. I think it really makes a difference.

    Mike

    What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and mark the point on it
    where your shocks are at the presure you want. Actually what really, really makes a difference is
    to mark the amount of sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time 🙂
    --

    No, my point is that with a 0-100psi scale w/2 psi increments) you can make finer adjustments than
    with a 0-300psi scale w/10 psi increments. A 2psi change in a Marzocchi Marathon fork makes quite a
    difference in the way the fork rides. And at the 35-40psi range I'm working in barely makes the
    needle move on a 300psi gauge.

    Mike

  18. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Mike

    What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and mark the point on it
    where your shocks are at the presure you want. Actually what really, really makes a difference
    is to mark the amount of sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time 🙂
    --

    No, my point is that with a 0-100psi scale w/2 psi increments) you can make finer adjustments than
    with a 0-300psi scale w/10 psi increments. A 2psi change in a Marzocchi Marathon fork makes quite
    a difference in the way the fork rides. And at the 35-40psi range I'm working in barely makes the
    needle move on a 300psi gauge.

    Mike

    That's assuming that the guage mechanism is as acurate as the numbers on the face suggest. Out of
    the box they might be but if you have an older pump you should test it against a new one, there is
    often quite a difference. Did I mention I hate air shocks?

    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.