rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Profile Clicking

Started by Robbie · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,685 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
24 June 2004
Last activity
29 June 2004
Original author
Robbie
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,685
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So could the right bearing (the one that feels like it has rough spots)
    be causing the problem?

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
    time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
    Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to
    drive? - Homer Simpson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  2. Robbie said:

    *So could the right bearing (the one that feels like it has rough
    spots) be causing the problem? *

    Yup, looks like you have a bad bearing.

    It's not normal for a bearing to fail like that after only a couple of
    weeks. Something was defective in the bearing.

    Generally the bearings on a muni will last at least a year. It all
    depends on the conditions that you ride them in. On a muni, the
    bearings will usually wear out because they get filled with dirt. They
    usually don't fail because something breaks inside.

    Here's a thread that discusses how to remove the Profile cranks with a
    bearing puller: 'Profile maintenance' (http://tinyurl.com/3645)

    You can also have a bike shop try to remove the cranks. Just be sure to
    tell them that they need to be careful not to pound the axle out of the
    hub. If they try to remove the Profile cranks the same way they would
    on a bike, they may damage the hub.

    Make sure you get the correct size bearings. Profile makes two sizes of
    bearings for the unicycle hub. One size has a 40 mm outer diameter and
    the other size has a 1-5/8" outer diameter. You'll have to measure your
    current bearings to verify what size you've got. A bike shop will have
    a micrometer or caliper to accurately measure the bearing size.

    When you put it all back together just follow the instructions in the
    Profile maintenance thread.

    For now you can continue riding until you get the new bearing.

    Once you get the bearing replaced you can have some fun taking the
    damaged bearing apart to see what's inside. You can pry off the rubber
    seals using a small screwdriver. Then take a look inside to see what it
    is that makes a bearing work (or in this case, what it is that makes
    that bearing not work).

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  3. Thanks alot John... you've defiantely solved my problem. Thanks to all
    the others who helped aswell. I know that it's 40mm OD so I'll get a new
    one in from unicycles.com.au (or 2 if you have to get them in pairs, and
    just have a spare I guess?). I think I'll also look at finding an
    evercraft bearing puller (or will others work?) and removing it myself,
    the local bike shops try but I can tell they know nothing about
    unicycles and would probably try to remove it bike style which you said
    could screw the hub.

    Thanks!

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
    time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
    Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to
    drive? - Homer Simpson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  4. Robbie said:

    *Thanks alot John... you've defiantely solved my problem. Thanks to
    all the others who helped aswell. I know that it's 40mm OD so I'll get
    a new one in from unicycles.com.au (or 2 if you have to get them in
    pairs, and just have a spare I guess?). I think I'll also look at
    finding an evercraft bearing puller (or will others work?) and
    removing it myself, the local bike shops try but I can tell they know
    nothing about unicycles and would probably try to remove it bike style
    which you said could screw the hub.

    Thanks! *

    The Evercraft bearing puller works the best on the Profile cranks.
    Other bearing pullers can't get a grip on the Profile crank. The
    Evercraft tool is actually an automotive pulley puller designed to
    remove pulleys on steering and water pumps. It's an automotive tool.
    We just call it a bearing puller because when used on a unicycle it
    usually gets used for pulling off bearings.

    Evercraft is a house brand for NAPA. NAPA is an auto parts store here
    in the USA. I don't know if you've got NAPA stores in Australia. If
    you don't have a NAPA store you should still be able to find the same
    type of pulley puller from another brand. Take a look at the 'Evercraft
    bearing puller' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=419) at
    unicycle.com and get a pulley puller that looks just like it.

    I like to keep extra bearings on hand so that I don't have to make a
    rush order when a bearing suddenly fails on me or when they eventually
    wear out. Get three or more bearings so you'll have two spares on hand
    for when the bearings finally wear out.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  5. Thanks alot John, I'll look into finding one as it seems to be a very
    important tool for your profiles. Profile should sell these with their
    cranks and add the price on. Or at least give you the option to buy it
    with the cranks.

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
    time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
    Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to
    drive? - Homer Simpson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  6. Robbie said:

    *Thanks alot John, I'll look into finding one as it seems to be a very
    important tool for your profiles. Profile should sell these with their
    cranks and add the price on. Or at least give you the option to buy it
    with the cranks. *

    Profile does make a special too to remove the cranks. I'll attach a
    picture of the tool. I got the picture from the 'Profile Racing online
    store' (http://www.profileracing.com/).

    However, that tool needs to be used with care when removing the cranks
    from a unicycle hub. The tool is designed for their bike cranks. The
    object is to pound the spindle out of the crank and consequently through
    the bottom bracket. On a bike the Profile spindle floats inside the
    bottom bracket so pounding it through the bottom bracket does no damage.
    However, on the unicycle hub the spindle is firmly fixed in the hub and
    is not designed to be pushed out of the hub. Pounding the spindle out
    of the hub will cause problems for the hub.

    If you use the tool with the Profile unicycle hub you must make sure
    that you don't pound the spindle through the hub. Care must be taken.
    It is easiest with two people. One person holds the crank and elevates
    the wheel off the ground. The second person pounds on the crank tool to
    get the crank off. Alternatively, you can put the crank inside of a
    long piece of pipe, secure the pipe in a big vise, and then pound on the
    Profile tool.

    The Profile crank tool is also handy for installing the cranks if the
    cranks are tight. An alternative is to use a big C-clamp or bar clamp
    to get the cranks back on.

    The threads of the Profile crank tool need to be lubed with anti-seize
    before threading it into the spindle. If you don't lube the threads,
    all of that pounding can damage the threads in the spindle or the tool
    can get stuck in the spindle.

    A bike shop that works on BMX bikes or freeride/DH bikes will likely
    have the Profile tool.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: profilecranktool.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/219763|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  7. Thanks alot I'm gonna guess that the evercraft bearing puller can't put
    it back on judging by your post but if the bike shop has the correct
    tool I'm sure they will be able to put it back on in a much safer manner
    than taking it off.

    If I managed to buy both tools then I could take it off and put in on
    myself quite safely, right?

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
    time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
    Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to
    drive? - Homer Simpson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  8. Robbie said:

    *If I managed to buy both tools then I could take it off and put in on
    myself quite safely, right? *

    Correct. But the Profile tool isn't really needed for putting the crank
    back on. It's just a handy and convenient way of doing it.

    You can certainly put the crank back on safely without using the Profile
    tool. Putting the cranks back on is much easier than getting the cranks
    off.

    When my cranks were new and tight I used a big C-clamp to put the cranks
    back on. A rubber mallet or a block of wood and a hammer would have
    done the same thing. Just don't hammer on the cranks directly with a
    metal hammer, you can damage the cranks that way. Once the cranks are
    worn you'll be able to put them on by hand without any tools.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  9. Thanks John! Have you worked in a bike shop ever or are you just so
    uniobsessed you've fixed so many (yours and other peoples) unicycles
    that you're just now the master :p

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
    time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
    Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to
    drive? - Homer Simpson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

  10. Robbie said:

    *Thanks John! Have you worked in a bike shop ever or are you just so
    uniobsessed you've fixed so many (yours and other peoples) unicycles
    that you're just now the master :p *

    I've never worked at a bike shop. I do my own maintenance on my
    unicycles. After fiddling with the things you learn how the pieces
    work, what works, what doesn't, and other tricks. The only maintenance
    I don't do myself is wheel building and wheel truing.

    I have read some books on bicycle maintenance. And I also read the
    instruction manuals that the manufacturers send with their parts. The
    books and instruction manuals help. Asking a professional bike mechanic
    is also a good way to pick up some tips. It was a bike mechanic that
    clued me in to the anti-seize. When I first got a Profile hub I had no
    idea how to maintain it so I asked a bike mechanic for some tips.

    Unicycles are a lot simpler than bicycles. There are lots of pieces on
    my bike that I would not be comfortable tearing apart and putting back
    together. Maintenance on unicycles is simple compared to bikes.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33442

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.