General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Potato Salad Sandwich

Started by mary · · Last activity · 24 posts · 697 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 January 2005
Last activity
26 January 2005
Original author
mary
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
697
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then thought
    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich sound
    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get her
    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato salad.

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. mary said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then thought
    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich sound
    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get her
    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato salad.

    Thanks

    Tom


    I thought cucumber sandwiches were wierd...until I had one!

  3. "Frank Mancuso" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    mary said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that


    turned

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then


    thought

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich


    sound

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get


    her

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato


    salad.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Yuk! sounds gross to me. Maybe it depends what was underneath.........

  4. "mary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then
    thought
    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich sound
    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get her
    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato
    salad.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Just say that it's an egg salad sandwich with potatoes.

  5. Tom said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then
    thought about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a
    sandwich
    sound strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and
    get
    her reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato
    salad.

    Here are things you could add to potato salad as a sandwich filling:

    Bacon
    Peas and curry powder
    Shrimp and dill

    Next time you're going to use your wife as a guinea pig, though, it
    shouldn't be for something as mundane as a potato salad sandwich. Make
    sweet-and-sour tripe, see how she likes it, and then tell her what it is.
    Cricketburgers and sweetbreads are also great "surprise!" foods.

    Bob

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, "Bob"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.com said:

    Next time you're going to use your wife as a guinea pig, though, it
    shouldn't be for something as mundane as a potato salad sandwich. Make
    sweet-and-sour tripe, see how she likes it, and then tell her what it is.
    Cricketburgers and sweetbreads are also great "surprise!" foods.

    So tell us, Bob, how many times have you been married? And how much do
    you pay each month for security to keep your ex-wives from killing you?

    :-)

    --
    Dan Abel
    Sonoma State University
    AIS
    [email hidden]

  7. Dan replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Next time you're going to use your wife as a guinea pig, though, it
    shouldn't be for something as mundane as a potato salad sandwich. Make
    sweet-and-sour tripe, see how she likes it, and then tell her what it is.
    Cricketburgers and sweetbreads are also great "surprise!" foods.

    So tell us, Bob, how many times have you been married? And how much do
    you pay each month for security to keep your ex-wives from killing you?

    Married? I've *never* been married.

    Gee, I wonder what the problem is... :-)

    Bob

  8. "mary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then
    thought
    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich sound
    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get her
    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato
    salad.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tasty - but none the less a little strange. For the most part sandwiches
    are a pretty good balance or carbohydrates (Bread) Fat, (Butter or Mayo) and
    some protein (meat, cheese, eggs peanut butter etc.) A potato salad sandwich
    is off balance. But, now having said that if you like it and it tastes good
    to you - go for it.

    Dimitri

  9. what is tripe?

  10. Dimitri said:

    Tasty - but none the less a little strange. For the most part sandwiches
    are a pretty good balance or carbohydrates (Bread) Fat, (Butter or Mayo)
    and some protein (meat, cheese, eggs peanut butter etc.) A potato salad
    sandwich is off balance. But, now having said that if you like it and it
    tastes good to you - go for it.

    I've put potato salad into barbecued-pork sandwiches, and into Dagwood-style
    corned beef (or pastrami) sandwiches. It didn't seem weird at the time, and
    the sandwiches were still fairly well balanced.

    Bob

  11. Playrite1 asked:

    Quoted message said:

    what is tripe?

    From Merriam-Webster.com:

    Tripe
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French
    1 : stomach tissue of a ruminant and especially of the ox used as food

    Bob

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "mary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then
    thought
    about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a sandwich sound
    strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and get her
    reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato
    salad.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tasty - but none the less a little strange. For the most part sandwiches
    are a pretty good balance or carbohydrates (Bread) Fat, (Butter or Mayo) and
    some protein (meat, cheese, eggs peanut butter etc.) A potato salad sandwich
    is off balance.

    I'm guessing you've not come across the famous British chip buttie.

  13. I used to eat fried potato sandwiches & potato chip sandwiches!!! Don't
    any more,
    only because I'm a diabetic & have to watch my carbs!!! Those
    sandwiches were real yummy!!!

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was attending a function, and ate a small open face sandwich that turned
    out to have as a topping potato salad. It really tasted good.I then
    thought about making a potato salad regular sandwich. Does such a
    sandwich
    sound strange? I will make it without telling my wife what is in it, and
    get
    her reaction. Any suggestions other than the normal type things in potato
    salad.

    Here are things you could add to potato salad as a sandwich filling:

    Bacon
    Peas and curry powder
    Shrimp and dill

    Next time you're going to use your wife as a guinea pig, though, it
    shouldn't be for something as mundane as a potato salad sandwich. Make
    sweet-and-sour tripe, see how she likes it, and then tell her what it is.
    Cricketburgers and sweetbreads are also great "surprise!" foods.

    I was listening to the Glenn Beck radio show the other day and he was talking
    about Mashed Potato Pizza, which sounds like a carb overload but sounds tasty.
    As I remember the recipe, he said he uses one of those premade Pizza crusts
    like Boboli, then makes up mashed potatoes and doctors them up good with sour
    cream and chives and bacon and cream cheese, which I'm guessing will help hold
    the potato mixture on the crust. The mashed potato mixture is spread on the
    crust, and topped with mozzarella and baked until the mozzarella is bubbly. If
    I weren't trying to lose weight I think I would give it a try.

    Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

    "The likelihood of one individual being right increases in a direct proportion
    to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong."

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Mpoconnor7) said:

    I was listening to the Glenn Beck radio show the other day and he was
    talking about Mashed Potato Pizza, which sounds like a carb overload
    but sounds tasty. As I remember the recipe, he said he uses one of
    those premade Pizza crusts like Boboli, then makes up mashed potatoes
    and doctors them up good with sour cream and chives and bacon and
    cream cheese, which I'm guessing will help hold the potato mixture on
    the crust. The mashed potato mixture is spread on the crust, and
    topped with mozzarella and baked until the mozzarella is bubbly. If
    I weren't trying to lose weight I think I would give it a try.

    Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

    Used to be a place called Spudzza on Snelling and Grand in St. Paul.
    Crust, thin layer of sliced spuds, sour cream sauce, roma tomatoes,
    basil, maybe some cheese. Baked. To die for. I used to look for them
    at the State Fair. Alas no more. Pity.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
    Soup, and Swiss Steak.
    "Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
    Mimi Sheraton

  16. Potato Salad Sandwich

    4 lg Potatoes, baked & cooled
    1/4 c Green onion, chopped
    1/4 c Celery
    1/4 c Pickle relish
    1/2 c Mayonnaise
    2 ts Mustard
    Salt & pepper
    8 oz Sliced ham*

    *Any favorite lunchmeat may be used.
    Halve potatoes lengthwise; scoop out potatoes, leaving 1/4" shell. Reserve
    shells. Mash potatoes;' mix in remaining ingredients except ham. Spoon
    evenly into shells. Sandwich two halves together with 1 or 2 folded slices
    of meat in the middle. Wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chill until
    serving time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------
    Enjoy
    Chef R. W. Miller
    Marriott Resorts & Hotels

  17. I have tried a potato salad sandwich because I heard of this and wanted
    to serve it to a friend who was vegetarian. Its actually not bad.

    My recommendation - how I made it- Buy some nice fresh rolls that are
    not too hard on top. Add lettuce and a thin slice of good tomato.
    Pile on mayo based potato salad. Enjoy. Actually it was not bad and
    something I might try again especially in the summer.

    I think just taking store bought "wonder bread" and plastering on some
    insipid potato salad would not be good but if its made with care, it is
    not weird at all and rather tasty.

    ..

  18. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I have tried a potato salad sandwich because I heard of this and wanted
    to serve it to a friend who was vegetarian. Its actually not bad.

    My recommendation - how I made it- Buy some nice fresh rolls that are
    not too hard on top. Add lettuce and a thin slice of good tomato.
    Pile on mayo based potato salad. Enjoy. Actually it was not bad and
    something I might try again especially in the summer.

    I think just taking store bought "wonder bread" and plastering on some
    insipid potato salad would not be good but if its made with care, it is
    not weird at all and rather tasty.

    Funny you should say that, I made a couple of potato salad rolls the other
    day to use up the remainders.
    Nice. Not too much filling though as it gets stodgy.
    Reminds me of a question I meant to ask here.... I'll start a new thread.
    Potato Salad Variations I think.

  19. A potato salad tarted up with extra lemon juice on toasted Jewish rye is
    very tasty.
    blacksalt

  20. Nice.
    I always use small new potatoes (skin on but scrubbed), boil them whole (or
    halve if need be) and add the additions once cooled.
    I'll have to try the mashed variety sometime.

    "Chef R. W. Miller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Potato Salad Sandwich

    4 lg Potatoes, baked & cooled
    1/4 c Green onion, chopped
    1/4 c Celery
    1/4 c Pickle relish
    1/2 c Mayonnaise
    2 ts Mustard
    Salt & pepper
    8 oz Sliced ham*

    *Any favorite lunchmeat may be used.
    Halve potatoes lengthwise; scoop out potatoes, leaving 1/4" shell. Reserve
    shells. Mash potatoes;' mix in remaining ingredients except ham. Spoon
    evenly into shells. Sandwich two halves together with 1 or 2 folded slices
    of meat in the middle. Wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chill until
    serving time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------
    Enjoy
    Chef R. W. Miller
    Marriott Resorts & Hotels

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.