General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Pork Loin in the Crock Pot

Started by Debbie · · Last activity · 16 posts · 986 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 August 2005
Last activity
14 August 2005
Original author
Debbie
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
986
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the refrigerator
    with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to keep the
    kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the grease.
    Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of garlic
    rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my
    upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.
    :-)

    Debbie

  2. I once cooked a pork loin in the crock pot --put a peach chutney on it
    --turned out great.

  3. Can't remember the exact recipe I used, but I know it had canned
    peaches and mustard in it. Here is a link to a recipe similar to what
    I made:

    http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/crockpot-recipes/crock-pot-pork-roast-with-peach-chutney-recipe.htm

  4. "tsr3" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |I once cooked a pork loin in the crock pot --put a peach chutney on it
    | --turned out great.
    |

    I remember doing one with peaches last winter.. was called golden pork or
    something.

    Debbie

  5. "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the refrigerator
    with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to keep
    the
    kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the
    grease.
    Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of garlic
    rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my
    upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to
    work.
    :-)

    Debbie

    I have several recipes for crockpot pork loin roasts. If any of these sound
    good, I'll post them:

    Cranberry Pork Roast
    Savory Pork Roast
    Teriyaki Pork Roast
    Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    Chalupa

    Just Peachy Ribs (made with boneless pork spareribs and can of cling
    peaches, but I'm sure it'd work for a roast, too)

  6. "Renee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    | news:[email hidden]...
    | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    refrigerator
    | > with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to keep
    | > the
    | > kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the
    | > grease.
    | > Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of
    garlic
    | > rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my
    | > upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to
    | > work.
    | > :-)
    | >
    | > Debbie
    | >
    | >
    |
    | I have several recipes for crockpot pork loin roasts. If any of these
    sound
    | good, I'll post them:
    |
    | Cranberry Pork Roast
    | Savory Pork Roast
    | Teriyaki Pork Roast
    | Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    | Chalupa
    |
    | Just Peachy Ribs (made with boneless pork spareribs and can of cling
    | peaches, but I'm sure it'd work for a roast, too)
    |
    The savoury pork roast sounds interesting Renee. Although I will soon need
    to get this baby on. :-) I have made pork with peaches before. I believe
    it was called golden pork or something similar. Can't remember.. but I
    think I put nutmeg in it as well. Anyway.. I will look for your message and
    if not time today.. will have it for the future! :-)

    Debbie

  7. "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Renee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    | news:[email hidden]...
    | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    refrigerator
    | > with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to
    keep
    | > the
    | > kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the
    | > grease.
    | > Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of
    garlic
    | > rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for
    my
    | > upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to
    | > work.
    | > :-)
    | >
    | > Debbie
    | >
    | >
    |
    | I have several recipes for crockpot pork loin roasts. If any of these
    sound
    | good, I'll post them:
    |
    | Cranberry Pork Roast
    | Savory Pork Roast
    | Teriyaki Pork Roast
    | Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    | Chalupa
    |
    | Just Peachy Ribs (made with boneless pork spareribs and can of cling
    | peaches, but I'm sure it'd work for a roast, too)
    |
    The savoury pork roast sounds interesting Renee. Although I will soon
    need
    to get this baby on. :-) I have made pork with peaches before. I believe
    it was called golden pork or something similar. Can't remember.. but I
    think I put nutmeg in it as well. Anyway.. I will look for your message
    and
    if not time today.. will have it for the future! :-)

    Debbie

    Hope this gets to you soon enough, Debbie. Also, Mr Libido Incognito just
    posted a pork roast recipe in the
    Re: Crockpot Ham Recipes (Was Re: Crockpot gammon) thread.

    From Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker
    by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good
    (New York Times Bestseller)

    Savory Pork Roast
    Betty A. Holt

    4-5 lb pork loin roast
    large onion; sliced
    1 bay leaf
    2 TBSP soy sauce
    1 TBSP garlic powder

    Place roast and onion in crockpot. Add bay, soy sauce and garlic powder.
    Cook on High 1 hour and then on Low 6 hours.
    Slice and serve.

  8. "Renee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    | news:[email hidden]...
    | >
    | > "Renee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email hidden]...
    | > |
    | > | "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    | > | news:[email hidden]...
    | > | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    | > refrigerator
    | > | > with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to
    | > keep
    | > | > the
    | > | > kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the
    | > | > grease.
    | > | > Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of
    | > garlic
    | > | > rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for
    | > my
    | > | > upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going
    to
    | > | > work.
    | > | > :-)
    | > | >
    | > | > Debbie
    | > | >
    | > | >
    | > |
    | > | I have several recipes for crockpot pork loin roasts. If any of these
    | > sound
    | > | good, I'll post them:
    | > |
    | > | Cranberry Pork Roast
    | > | Savory Pork Roast
    | > | Teriyaki Pork Roast
    | > | Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    | > | Chalupa
    | > |
    | > | Just Peachy Ribs (made with boneless pork spareribs and can of cling
    | > | peaches, but I'm sure it'd work for a roast, too)
    | > |
    | > The savoury pork roast sounds interesting Renee. Although I will soon
    | > need
    | > to get this baby on. :-) I have made pork with peaches before. I
    believe
    | > it was called golden pork or something similar. Can't remember.. but I
    | > think I put nutmeg in it as well. Anyway.. I will look for your message
    | > and
    | > if not time today.. will have it for the future! :-)
    | >
    | > Debbie
    | >
    | >
    |
    | Hope this gets to you soon enough, Debbie. Also, Mr Libido Incognito just
    | posted a pork roast recipe in the
    | Re: Crockpot Ham Recipes (Was Re: Crockpot gammon) thread.
    |
    | From Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker
    | by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good
    | (New York Times Bestseller)
    |
    | Savory Pork Roast
    | Betty A. Holt
    |
    | 4-5 lb pork loin roast
    | large onion; sliced
    | 1 bay leaf
    | 2 TBSP soy sauce
    | 1 TBSP garlic powder
    |
    | Place roast and onion in crockpot. Add bay, soy sauce and garlic powder.
    | Cook on High 1 hour and then on Low 6 hours.
    | Slice and serve.
    |
    Thanks Renee. I have that cookbook.. it is in one of those dreaded boxes
    stacked in my living room. :-) Me? I pack anything to do with cooking
    last.. my packers had other ideas and did them first! lol This recipe has
    confirmed some thoughts I had and refined some as well. I had noticed Alans
    recipe also. I think what I will be doing is laying the pork roast on a bed
    of celery and onion. Adding some chicken broth for moisture. Have some I
    need to use up. :-) I don't have any garlic powder.. but lots of fresh so
    will make the little cuts and insert garlic pieces as per Alans recipe. I
    will lay some rosemary across and place some onion slices on top. If I have
    a bay leaf will pop that in as well. I think I will hold off on the soy
    sauce. Had planned on rice and soy was an idea floating around in my head,
    but my guest has advised me that she will be bring peirogies.

    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Off to get it started.

    Debbie

  9. Renee said:


    Cranberry Pork Roast
    Savory Pork Roast
    Teriyaki Pork Roast
    Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    Chalupa

    Chalupa and Teriyaki Pork Roast

    Thanks

    Sandi

  10. "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    refrigerator with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the
    crock pot to keep the kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery
    to set it on out of the grease. Have some rosemary to lay atop of
    it. Was thinking of some sort of garlic rub for it. Any other
    suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my upcoming move so
    reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.
    :-)

    I do it simply. Slice the pork loin into thick pieces. Line the
    bottom of your crock pot with carrots, sliced leek, celery. Place the
    slices of pork on top, add a cup of pear juice, season with curry
    powder to taste. Cook on high for three hours at least, four hours
    maximum. Serve with rice.

    --

    "Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

    Dostoevski, The Idiot

  11. "Michel Boucher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | "Debbie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    | news:[email hidden]:
    |
    | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    | > refrigerator with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the
    | > crock pot to keep the kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery
    | > to set it on out of the grease. Have some rosemary to lay atop of
    | > it. Was thinking of some sort of garlic rub for it. Any other
    | > suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my upcoming move so
    | > reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.
    | > :-)
    |
    | I do it simply. Slice the pork loin into thick pieces. Line the
    | bottom of your crock pot with carrots, sliced leek, celery. Place the
    | slices of pork on top, add a cup of pear juice, season with curry
    | powder to taste. Cook on high for three hours at least, four hours
    | maximum. Serve with rice.
    |
    | --
    |

    This one I have saved for the other half of the loin! Thanks.

    Debbie

  12. "Sandi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Renee said:


    Cranberry Pork Roast
    Savory Pork Roast
    Teriyaki Pork Roast
    Pork Roast with Potatoes and Onions
    Chalupa

    Chalupa and Teriyaki Pork Roast

    Thanks

    Sandi

    Here ya go, Sandi

    Same cookbook as the others:

    Chalupa
    Jeannine Janzen

    3 lb pork roast
    1 lb dry pinto beans
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    1 TBSP ground cumin
    1 TBSP dried oregano
    2 TBSP chili powder
    1 TBSP salt
    4 oz can chopped green chilies
    water

    lettuce
    grated cheese
    chopped onions
    chopped tomatoes

    Cover beans with water and soak overnight in crockpot
    In morning remove beans, reserving soaking water, and put roast in bottom of
    crockpot.
    Add remaining ingredients, including beans and soaking water, and more water
    if needed to cover all ingredients.
    Cook on High 1 hour, then Low 6 hours.
    Remove meat and shred with two forks.
    Return meat to crockpot and cook on High 1 more hour.
    Serve over a bed of lettuce. Top with grated cheese and chopped onions and
    tomatoes.

    +++++++++++++

    Teriyaki Pork Roast
    Janice Yoskovich

    3 lb boneless pork loin roast; halved
    3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
    2 TBSP sugar
    2 TBSP soy sauce
    1 TBSP vinegar
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 1/2 TBSP cornstarch
    3 TBSP cold water

    Combine apple juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic powder and
    pepper in greased crockpot.
    Add roast and turn to coat.
    Cook on Low 7-8 hours.
    Remove roast and keep warm.
    In saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir in juices
    from roast. Bring to boil. Cook and stir 2 min or until thickened. Serve
    with roast.

  13. Debbie said:

    It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the refrigerator
    with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to keep the
    kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the grease.
    Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of garlic
    rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my
    upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.

    You don't indicate which loin cut or whether boned. The first cut is
    fatty and is ok for the crock pot but the center and last cut are much
    too lean. You also don't indicate the size, with a slow cooker a large
    chunk of pork loin will become tender on the exterior long before it
    cooks in the center. I don't have any use for crock pots. Since you
    don't want to heat your kitchen by lighting your oven then for pork
    loin I'd braise it on the stove top, and I'd first slice it into 1/2"
    chops/medalions so it'd cook evenly, and makes for easy serving. First
    sear all the pieces on both sides to brown and remove, then saute your
    onion/garlic, then return the meat, add some potatoes/carrots, a little
    tomato sauce, season (I like Penzeys adobo for braised pork), a few big
    glugs of beer for liquid, cover, and set on a low simmer, two hours
    should do it. I'd add a lot of green bell pepper chunks too. If you
    don't want the potatoes omit them and serve on a bed of rice, yellow
    rice and beans is nice. Or you can go dago... add a couple cans
    crushed tomatoes, some 'talian seasoning, plenty garlic, some red
    pepper flakes, and a big pinch fennel seeds... then serve on pasta...
    make enough sauce to freeze for next time.

    Why don't you donate that crockpot to the salvation army outlet store,
    along with your electric knife, both are equally useless... at least
    the electric knife is good for slicing styrofoam for crafts.

    Sheldon

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, "Debbie"

    Quoted message said:

    It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    refrigerator with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the
    crock pot to keep the kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to
    set it on out of the grease. Have some rosemary to lay atop of it.
    Was thinking of some sort of garlic rub for it. Any other
    suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my upcoming move so
    reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.

    Quoted message said:

    :-)

    Debbie

    Best luck, Debbie. Worst disaster I ever made in a crockpot was a
    boneless loin pork roast in some kind of teriyaki and pineapple sauce
    IIR. Meat was like shoe leather - way too lean. Ugh. A waste of good
    pork.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
    couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

  15. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | Debbie wrote:
    | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    refrigerator
    | > with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the crock pot to keep
    the
    | > kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to set it on out of the
    grease.
    | > Have some rosemary to lay atop of it. Was thinking of some sort of
    garlic
    | > rub for it. Any other suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my
    | > upcoming move so reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to
    work.
    |
    | You don't indicate which loin cut or whether boned. The first cut is
    | fatty and is ok for the crock pot but the center and last cut are much
    | too lean. You also don't indicate the size, with a slow cooker a large
    | chunk of pork loin will become tender on the exterior long before it
    | cooks in the center. I don't have any use for crock pots. Since you
    | don't want to heat your kitchen by lighting your oven then for pork
    | loin I'd braise it on the stove top, and I'd first slice it into 1/2"
    | chops/medalions so it'd cook evenly, and makes for easy serving. First
    | sear all the pieces on both sides to brown and remove, then saute your
    | onion/garlic, then return the meat, add some potatoes/carrots, a little
    | tomato sauce, season (I like Penzeys adobo for braised pork), a few big
    | glugs of beer for liquid, cover, and set on a low simmer, two hours
    | should do it. I'd add a lot of green bell pepper chunks too. If you
    | don't want the potatoes omit them and serve on a bed of rice, yellow
    | rice and beans is nice. Or you can go dago... add a couple cans
    | crushed tomatoes, some 'talian seasoning, plenty garlic, some red
    | pepper flakes, and a big pinch fennel seeds... then serve on pasta...
    | make enough sauce to freeze for next time.
    |
    | Why don't you donate that crockpot to the salvation army outlet store,
    | along with your electric knife, both are equally useless... at least
    | the electric knife is good for slicing styrofoam for crafts.
    |
    It was boneless and there is a fair bit of fat on the top. It ways about 3
    pounds I would guess. I bought a whole loin cryovaced (sp) and cut it in
    half. The crockpot gets most usage from Sept to May. I do prefer to cook
    without it.. but as I am feeding my grandson and running kids from 4-9 most
    week nights (swim club 4x/wk, figure skating 4x/wk, karate 2x/wk, and
    dance2-3x/wk), there needs to be on the ready any time the someone is ready
    to eat. Otherwise the kid would fall asleep at school next day. :-) I am
    beginning to toy with the idea of having our "big" meal at lunch and then
    can nuke left overs whenever anyone gets a chance to eat come evening. I
    have saved your method for future reference. Thank you.

    Debbie

  16. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | In article <[email hidden]>, "Debbie"
    | <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | > It is still hot here, and I have a pork loin defrosted in the
    | > refrigerator with plans to have for dinner tomorrow. Will use the
    | > crock pot to keep the kitchen cool. Have many some onion, celery to
    | > set it on out of the grease. Have some rosemary to lay atop of it.
    | > Was thinking of some sort of garlic rub for it. Any other
    | > suggestions? All my cookbooks are packed for my upcoming move so
    | > reading a few of those for inspiration isn't going to work.
    |
    | > :-)
    | >
    | > Debbie
    |
    | Best luck, Debbie. Worst disaster I ever made in a crockpot was a
    | boneless loin pork roast in some kind of teriyaki and pineapple sauce
    | IIR. Meat was like shoe leather - way too lean. Ugh. A waste of good
    | pork.
    | --

    I have cooked pork in the crock before. I do keep an eye on it though so
    that I can get it out if need be before the leather texture. :-) I do the
    same with beef. I added some chicken broth that needed using up to this one
    which should help with the moisture. Was toying with adding some white
    wine.. but kept vacillating from add it or drink it, addit or drink it.
    Gonna drink it! :-)

    Debbie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.