"maxwellg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Hi,
I would like some help in finding a cheap bike bag, so I can take my bike (Specialized Mountain
Bike, 'normal size'😉 on the plane. I have an extremely tight budget to work with.
I've been told by the flight operator that I need to put the handle bars
in
Quoted message said:(straight), remove the pedals, and take off the front wheel and attach it somehow to the frame,
then as far as they are concerned just wrap it in
bin
Quoted message said:bags.
However, I've had run-in's with flight operators in the past, what they
say
Quoted message said:is one thing, what they actually do is quite another. I have this vision
of
Quoted message said:getting to the airport with my newly wrapped 'bin bagged bike'(tm) and
have
Quoted message said:them laughing hysterically as I'm being shown the exit. So I feel a bike bag may be a safe bet.
Has anyone taken their bike on holiday and can maybe tell me how they got on? Should I just wrap
it in bin bags? Should I buy a bike bag? And if so, which (cheap) one?
Thanks very much for any help.
max.
My cheap solution is very cheap sleeping bags (as wide as you can get them, and obviously not mummy
shaped) plus heavy duty polythene, and some bubble wrap for delicate bits. I have a proper bag for
my own bike, but the economy version has worked well for other family members. Lots of gaffer tape
is required for the outer polythene layer - don't forget to have some available for the home
journey, and use lots of polythene so that when it gets ripped undone you still have enough left
undamaged for return journey. Even if you pay to leave all the packing at the airport (shove it all
into one bag - they charge per item, however big it is), it is still a cheap option. One last thing
- if you put a large label on it stating that it is a bike, you never know someone might read it and
treat it accordingly. Jo