(Mike Henley) said:I'm considering buying a bike for commuting and recreation. I'll
mostly use it on roads. I have no intention to go on other terrains.
I'd like it to be light and fast, and above all, I'd like to be very
comfortable as the last time I rode a bike, rented in Amsterdam, my
butt hurt so bad i had to stop. Also it made me aware that I prefer
the brakes to be in the pedals, operated by feet, rather than those
hand-operated ones on the steering that made me slam into a metal post
much to the amusement of everyone who sat in the cafes in that Dutch
market square.
Thanks
Try to find a Breezer dealer in your area. Look at the Town models-
http://www.breezerbikes.com/
Many other bike companies have added simple bikes with coaster brakes
to their lines.
Shimano makes a hub that has internal gears and a coaster brake
option-
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html
Your best bet when it comes to brakes would be a hub like this with a
coaster brake, and a handbrake on front. With more experience you will
learn how to use the front brake. It's a much better brake all in
all... you can look over this article to get an idea why-
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
But a coaster brake, if it gets you on a bike to begin with, is a
possibility. No sense buying what is 'correct' if you won't ever ride
it!
More than anything, find a good bike shop to deal with.