rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Planning: Coast to Coast uni ride.

Started by Jerrick · · Last activity · 34 posts · 532 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
3 May 2008
Last activity
6 May 2008
Original author
Jerrick
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
532
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello everyone.

    Now that I have lots of free time, and with summer comming up I am
    starting to get this plan rolling. But im going to need a bit of help.

    This is all new right now, so I havent even started a route yet or
    saving up money for everything I need. I have done some longish trips
    before, but instead of camping trailside, I have just gone with no
    sleep and made them into endurance rides, kinda like the 24hr races.

    So any help with this would be amazing. Routes, plans, items to bring,
    specific tents I could bring, and all that goes along with a long ride
    like this.

    Physically, im ready. I cant say the same about my Coker though. It
    needs a wider hub, and an airfoil/aluminum rim, a new set of spokes,
    and an extra pair of cranks. Besides the uni parts, I also need some
    gear for the trip, so heres where you can really help me.

    Donations. Any ammount, all of it will go to my savings and will go
    into buying new parts for this, go for food for the trip, gear,
    emergencys, and just everything to get me going and keep me going.

    'Donate!' (http://tinyurl.com/3g63kw)

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50
    states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I
    don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him
    you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride
    called "one wheel many spokes".

    --
    Tjorning
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tjorning's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16789
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50
    states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I
    don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him
    you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride
    called "one wheel many spokes".

    --
    Tjorning
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tjorning's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16789
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Tjorning said:

    I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50
    states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I
    don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him
    you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride
    called "one wheel many spokes".

    Thanks. I should still have a card with his information on it. I dont
    have much time today to discuss this cause I have a concert to play in
    that im leaving to in an hour, so all the helpful posts will be good to
    read when I get home later tonight.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Tjorning said:

    I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50
    states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I
    don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him
    you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride
    called "one wheel many spokes".

    Thanks. I should still have a card with his information on it. I dont
    have much time today to discuss this cause I have a concert to play in
    that im leaving to in an hour, so all the helpful posts will be good to
    read when I get home later tonight.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. When you have a route picked out see if you can get donations in the
    form of free room and board as you pass through the hometowns of other
    riders. You will also probably pick up some ride-alongs for company
    part of the way. You're certainly welcome to crash at my place and grab
    some grub if you pass through.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    "You would be safer offending a fundamentalist terrorist group." -
    tobbogonist, on mothers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. When you have a route picked out see if you can get donations in the
    form of free room and board as you pass through the hometowns of other
    riders. You will also probably pick up some ride-alongs for company
    part of the way. You're certainly welcome to crash at my place and grab
    some grub if you pass through.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    "You would be safer offending a fundamentalist terrorist group." -
    tobbogonist, on mothers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. 'Adventure Cycling Association' (http://www.adventurecycling.org/) has
    the best route maps for cycle touring; there are a few transcontinental
    options. They also have a catalog with a lot of lightweight gear for
    touring.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. 'Adventure Cycling Association' (http://www.adventurecycling.org/) has
    the best route maps for cycle touring; there are a few transcontinental
    options. They also have a catalog with a lot of lightweight gear for
    touring.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Gracie Sorbello did it in 2006. There are some threads about her ride.
    She did it east to west and in her bare feet.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

    The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
    heals the disease. - Voltaire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Gracie Sorbello did it in 2006. There are some threads about her ride.
    She did it east to west and in her bare feet.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

    The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
    heals the disease. - Voltaire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. Thanks for the link.

    So far taking the Centennial trail to the TransAmerica trail seems like
    the best way to go. There is also the Northern Tier, but that ends up
    in Maine, and I dont feel like going there.

    But its pretty much up to those two routes right now.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. what about a partner, could always use a buddy! and best part is.. if
    things go south you can use them as food 😉

    If this gets going would you car for a tag along?

    --
    Phil_on_uni

    The word is AMAZING!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phil_on_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15333
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. Car or care?

    If car, Id rather do this without a support vehicle.

    If its care, I wouldnt mind another rider with me. Interested? It would
    make the ride better.

    The more I think about it and search, the Northern Tier starts to look
    better than the TranAm.

    Still no donations yet though... 🙂

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. Jerrick said:

    Hello everyone.

    Now that I have lots of free time, and with summer comming up I am
    starting to get this plan rolling. But im going to need a bit of help.

    This is all new right now, so I havent even started a route yet or
    saving up money for everything I need. I have done some longish trips
    before, but instead of camping trailside, I have just gone with no
    sleep and made them into endurance rides, kinda like the 24hr races.

    So any help with this would be amazing. Routes, plans, items to bring,
    specific tents I could bring, and all that goes along with a long ride
    like this.

    Physically, im ready. I cant say the same about my Coker though. It
    needs a wider hub, and an airfoil/aluminum rim, a new set of spokes,
    and an extra pair of cranks. Besides the uni parts, I also need some
    gear for the trip, so heres where you can really help me.

    Donations. Any ammount, all of it will go to my savings and will go
    into buying new parts for this, go for food for the trip, gear,
    emergencys, and just everything to get me going and keep me going.

    'Donate!' (http://tinyurl.com/3g63kw)

    Hey Jerrick, you should totally wait until I graduate to do it and I
    can ride with you!

    --
    Ducttape

    '-*buy my shirts*-'
    (www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
    '*watch my videos*'
    (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
    '*uniman comics*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53444)
    '*original thread for uniman*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49862)
    *'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. Ducttape said:

    Hey Jerrick, you should totally wait until I graduate to do it and I can
    ride with you!

    When is that?

    I guess it depends on the amount of Donations I get. If I dont get much
    of anything, then I can wait, but if I do start to make some money, im
    gonna go as soon as I can so they know their money went to a good
    cause.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. Power to ya! I wish I could drop everything for a while and do such a
    trip. My best bet is to do it Clausen-style, finding a "gap"in my
    other obligations and making a family affair of it.

    Keep us posted on your progress!

    --
    boisei
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    boisei's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. Jerrick said:

    Car or care?

    If car, Id rather do this without a support vehicle.

    If its care, I wouldnt mind another rider with me. Interested? It would
    make the ride better.

    The more I think about it and search, the Northern Tier starts to look
    better than the TranAm.

    Still no donations yet though... 🙂

    Ya im going to go with care... but hey car work good too. what it
    really comes down to is, are you going to end up spending more on food
    or on gas?

    --
    Phil_on_uni

    The word is AMAZING!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phil_on_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15333
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. another thing is that the northern tier totaly has to be in the summer.
    otherwise we may likely die

    --
    Phil_on_uni

    The word is AMAZING!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phil_on_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15333
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. Jerrick said:

    When is that?

    I guess it depends on the amount of Donations I get. If I dont get much
    of anything, then I can wait, but if I do start to make some money, im
    gonna go as soon as I can so they know their money went to a good
    cause.

    sometime next year I hope...

    --
    Ducttape

    '-*buy my shirts*-'
    (www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
    '*watch my videos*'
    (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
    '*uniman comics*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53444)
    '*original thread for uniman*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49862)
    *'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69652

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.