Road Cycling · Public discussion

Planning a very long ride - 8 hrs

Started by Badger_South · · Last activity · 46 posts · 1,524 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 June 2004
Last activity
16 June 2004
Original author
Badger_South
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,524
Views / 30 days
33

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.
    'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would probably require a
    "support crew" to bring food and change of clothes and stuff. If you were
    gonna do it how would you break it up?

    I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna try and
    get the family interested in it to help with that.

    I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the big
    deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot (like frequent
    3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5 hours, and only did that
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.
    o 5:30-8:30
    o 9:00-11:00
    o 12:-1
    o 2-4pm

    TIA,

    -Badger

  2. Badger_South wrote:
    :: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    :: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    :: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::
    :: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    :: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    :: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    :: 3-2-1-2?

    Why not start doing long rides on the weekends, but increasing them by 10%
    every other week or so. You can work on speed during the week, but do your
    endurance riding on weekends.

    Personally, I don't like the "killer" riding events like you mention since
    you're on the road with cars and need to be 100% all of the time, and you
    have no base developed. Also, you don't give your butt and muscles time to
    adjust with your plan. Chances of injury seem too high to me....

    ::
    :: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2
    :: weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
    :: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
    :: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it up?
    ::
    :: I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna
    :: try and get the family interested in it to help with that.
    ::
    :: I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the
    :: big deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot
    :: (like frequent 3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5
    :: hours, and only did that once. I'm hoping to get some posts on
    :: others who have done something like this, and their experiences vs
    :: the initial expectations.

    Build up slowly...

    ::
    :: I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.

    That's what I do..

    :: o 5:30-8:30
    :: o 9:00-11:00
    :: o 12:-1
    :: o 2-4pm
    ::
    :: TIA,
    ::
    :: -Badger

  3. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:09:19 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Badger_South wrote:
    :: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    :: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    :: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::
    :: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    :: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    :: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    :: 3-2-1-2?

    Why not start doing long rides on the weekends, but increasing them by 10%
    every other week or so. You can work on speed during the week, but do your
    endurance riding on weekends.

    Oh, I plan on doing more long rides, and want to have several more three
    hour rides, and maybe a four hour ride. I seem to do pretty good on 3-a-day
    rides of 60-90 minutes right now - no pain anywhere the next day, etc. I
    think trying to slowly ramp up to 8 hours would involve just too much
    boredom. (I have to get pretty psyched to do 2.5 hours, but I know I'm just
    a noob, so I'll suspend that opinion a bit.)

    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I don't like the "killer" riding events like you mention since
    you're on the road with cars and need to be 100% all of the time, and you
    have no base developed. Also, you don't give your butt and muscles time to
    adjust with your plan. Chances of injury seem too high to me....

    Well, I'd take exception to the 'no base developed'. I'll have been riding
    for a year, every single frikin' day, and many, many two-a-day and a lot of
    three-a-day rides. I know it can take up to 10 years to really develop your
    base, but sheesh. <g> I'm pretty sure I could go out today, given
    sufficient motivation and do 4 hours on the road. (I'm not counting
    distance, just time, although I would hope the total distance would add up
    to around 100miles at the end.)

    I find that unless I'm nearly 'ready' to do a long ride like this, I don't
    start contemplating it. I did the 50 miler after kinda having the idea pop
    into my head a few days prior, (at the time my longest ride was 22 miles,
    and 9 months of riding) and thinking 'why not'. It was -way- easier than I
    thought it would be, and it was on the 45lb beater bike. Had I been paying
    attention, I'd have tacked on the extra miles later that day to equal a
    metric century.

    I've read stories (admittedly of younger riders) only training for a year
    to do some touring and then actually get in shape during the tour. Of
    course they were riding with a group and stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    :: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2
    :: weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
    :: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
    :: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it up?
    ::
    :: I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna
    :: try and get the family interested in it to help with that.
    ::
    :: I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the
    :: big deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot
    :: (like frequent 3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5
    :: hours, and only did that once. I'm hoping to get some posts on
    :: others who have done something like this, and their experiences vs
    :: the initial expectations.

    Build up slowly...

    That's a good idea, but I'm going on the thought that in jogging, you can
    run middle-of-the pack races pretty well on a 25 mile per week base (for a
    year) and the longest run 1/3 that of the total distance. For instance my
    first 10 miler I did on a few months of 30miles/week, and doing a 10K race
    every couple weeks. My longest jog was about 6.5 miles. I had no negative
    sequelae after the race, and resumed my training post, no problem.

    Thanks for the input, though, Rog. How's the new wheel holding up? ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    ::
    :: I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.

    That's what I do..

    :: o 5:30-8:30
    :: o 9:00-11:00
    :: o 12:-1
    :: o 2-4pm
    ::
    :: TIA,
    ::
    :: -Badger

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    How long is "long" (mile-wise, that is)?

    Quoted message said:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.
    'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would probably require a
    "support crew" to bring food and change of clothes and stuff. If you were
    gonna do it how would you break it up?

    I'd probably put the first rest stop well before the 3 hour point, and
    space them more evenly. Maybe 1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5, or 2-2-2-2. Also,
    30 minutes might be too long of a break; it might give your muscles too
    long, so that you would need a long warm up again when you start back up
    YMMV a lot on this, and will probably depend on the weather (temperature
    particularly). More frequent, shorter breaks work well for many people,
    such as 5 to 10 minutes every hour.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna try and
    get the family interested in it to help with that.

    I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the big
    deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot (like frequent
    3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5 hours, and only did that
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.
    o 5:30-8:30
    o 9:00-11:00
    o 12:-1
    o 2-4pm

    TIA,

    -Badger

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  5. Badger_South said:

    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    Why not just do an organized, supported ride? They typically have
    rest stops every 1.5-2 hours apart. It's a great place to find out
    about pacing and fueling, and there's sag if you need it. Try a 100k
    to see if you like it. If that was too easy, try a 100-mile.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  6. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:22:38 -0400, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    How long is "long" (mile-wise, that is)?

    I'm not too worried about the mileage, although I would hope that after 8
    hours of well-spaced riding that it would be around 100 miles.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.
    'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would probably require a
    "support crew" to bring food and change of clothes and stuff. If you were
    gonna do it how would you break it up?

    I'd probably put the first rest stop well before the 3 hour point, and
    space them more evenly. Maybe 1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5, or 2-2-2-2. Also,
    30 minutes might be too long of a break; it might give your muscles too
    long, so that you would need a long warm up again when you start back up
    YMMV a lot on this, and will probably depend on the weather (temperature
    particularly). More frequent, shorter breaks work well for many people,
    such as 5 to 10 minutes every hour.

    Oh, I forgot to mention that. I find that a 2 min rest every 10-15 miles
    helps a lot, and I plan to incorporate that in addition to the other rest
    stops.

    I like the idea of the first segment being around 3-4 hours, b/c I have
    that much motivation, initially. Then knowing I'm 1/3 to 1/2 way there
    helps with the last part. But I like your plan of 2 hours and a 10 min
    break after that. As I said, I'm anticipating that the major hurdle will be
    80-90% mental. ;-)

    -B

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the big
    deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot (like frequent
    3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5 hours, and only did that
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.
    o 5:30-8:30
    o 9:00-11:00
    o 12:-1
    o 2-4pm

    TIA,

  7. Terry Morse said:
    Badger_South said:

    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    Why not just do an organized, supported ride? They typically have
    rest stops every 1.5-2 hours apart. It's a great place to find out
    about pacing and fueling, and there's sag if you need it. Try a 100k
    to see if you like it. If that was too easy, try a 100-mile.

    Well there probably aren't any organized supported rides in my area.

    There are weekend group rides, I hear, but never been able to track any of
    them down to an actual person. (I'm in Charlottesville, Va).

    In addition, I'd want to ride my own pace, and would worry about being
    dropped and having that affect the motivation. I realize in an ideal sitch,
    your suggest -would- be the way to go. Also the area around here that
    people ride these things are probably too hilly.

    I'm planning the ride in Va Beach, where it's mostly flat, and doing it on
    bike paths. (there's 137 miles of them down there!). It would take a big
    stroke of luck to find an organized ride in Va Beach to co-incide with my
    attempt, but I'll definitely try to check that out. I'm heading back down
    there in about a month. Even if the ride was a 50 miler, I could do that
    and then finish up on my own. Great idea...

    Thanks TM!

    -B

  8. Badger_South said:


    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then
    ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then
    ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.
    'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would probably require a
    "support crew" to bring food and change of clothes and stuff. If you were
    gonna do it how would you break it up?

    I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna try and
    get the family interested in it to help with that.

    I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the big
    deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot (like frequent
    3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5 hours, and only did that
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.
    o 5:30-8:30
    o 9:00-11:00
    o 12:-1
    o 2-4pm

    It's now 15 days before I will do my longest ride so far this year. It's a
    16-18 hour long ride (540 km). I will be riding with a group and we plann
    3-4 stops during the ride. Each stop will be about 5 minutes - enough time
    to fill up bottles and the jersey pockets with food. Eating will be done on
    the bike.

    We start early in the morning. The worst part is when it gets dark. Some
    people can get very sleepy during the dark period of the night (we live far
    north, so it will not be completly dark), and it can cause some dangerous
    situation if riders get too sleepy.

    The amount of training before such a long ride, is very important. Long
    training tours is a must. So far I have 3 rides over 100 km (3 1/2 hour or
    more each tour). I hope to get at least one more 100+ km ride before I do
    the looooong tour...

    Good luck on your 8-hour ride.

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

  9. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes said:

    It's now 15 days before I will do my longest ride so far this year. It's a
    16-18 hour long ride (540 km). I will be riding with a group and we plann
    3-4 stops during the ride. Each stop will be about 5 minutes - enough time
    to fill up bottles and the jersey pockets with food. Eating will be done on
    the bike.

    We start early in the morning. The worst part is when it gets dark. Some
    people can get very sleepy during the dark period of the night (we live far
    north, so it will not be completly dark), and it can cause some dangerous
    situation if riders get too sleepy.

    The amount of training before such a long ride, is very important. Long
    training tours is a must. So far I have 3 rides over 100 km (3 1/2 hour or
    more each tour). I hope to get at least one more 100+ km ride before I do
    the looooong tour...

    Good luck on your 8-hour ride.

    Wow. Good luck to you, too. Mine's still in the 'fantasy stage', but I'm
    pretty sure I'll try it in the fall when it's cooler.

    Uh, you say long training tours are a must? If my mental calculations are
    correct, it sounds like your training tour is very short!

    I'll have done several rides at ~50% of the total time/distance, and have
    already done 1/2 the expected distance on a 45lb broken beater bike.

    I can't imagine riding 8 hours on a base of only 1-2 hr as the max ride, or
    on 1/10th the total distance! Of course if you've been riding for 10 years,
    and / or are pretty young and resilient...may be a different story. (Maybe
    you made a typo?)

    Where are you (Denmark?) and do you have a map online of that cool ride
    you're doing?

    Some day I hope to be able to do a Brevet like that. Good job.

    -B

  10. Badger_South said:

    Where are you (Denmark?) and do you have a map online of that cool ride
    you're doing?

    oops, Norway. Meant to check the header but hit send too quickly. So where
    in Norway? Near the arctic circle, eh?

    -Badger

  11. David Kerber wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>,
    :: [email hidden] says...
    :::
    ::: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    ::: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    ::: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::
    :: How long is "long" (mile-wise, that is)?
    ::
    ::
    ::: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    ::: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    ::: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    ::: 3-2-1-2?
    :::
    ::: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2
    ::: weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
    ::: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
    ::: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it
    ::: up?
    ::
    :: I'd probably put the first rest stop well before the 3 hour point,
    :: and space them more evenly. Maybe 1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5, or 2-2-2-2.
    :: Also, 30 minutes might be too long of a break; it might give your
    :: muscles too long, so that you would need a long warm up again when
    :: you start back up YMMV a lot on this, and will probably depend on
    :: the weather (temperature particularly). More frequent, shorter
    :: breaks work well for many people, such as 5 to 10 minutes every hour.

    How many times (or how many miles) would you break on a century ride?

    ::
    ::
    ::: I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna
    ::: try and get the family interested in it to help with that.
    :::
    ::: I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the
    ::: big deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot
    ::: (like frequent 3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5
    ::: hours, and only did that once. I'm hoping to get some posts on
    ::: others who have done something like this, and their experiences vs
    ::: the initial expectations.
    :::
    ::: I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first
    ::: light. o 5:30-8:30
    ::: o 9:00-11:00
    ::: o 12:-1
    ::: o 2-4pm
    :::
    ::: TIA,
    :::
    ::: -Badger
    :::
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: --
    :: Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    :: newsgroups if possible).

  12. Badger_South wrote:
    :: On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:34:30 -0700, Terry Morse <[email hidden]>
    :: wrote:
    ::
    ::: Badger_South wrote:
    :::
    :::: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    :::: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    :::: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::::
    :::: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    :::: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    :::: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    :::: 3-2-1-2?
    :::
    ::: Why not just do an organized, supported ride? They typically have
    ::: rest stops every 1.5-2 hours apart. It's a great place to find out
    ::: about pacing and fueling, and there's sag if you need it. Try a 100k
    ::: to see if you like it. If that was too easy, try a 100-mile.
    ::
    :: Well there probably aren't any organized supported rides in my area.
    ::
    :: There are weekend group rides, I hear, but never been able to track
    :: any of them down to an actual person. (I'm in Charlottesville, Va).
    ::
    :: In addition, I'd want to ride my own pace, and would worry about
    :: being dropped and having that affect the motivation. I realize in an
    :: ideal sitch, your suggest -would- be the way to go. Also the area
    :: around here that people ride these things are probably too hilly.
    ::
    :: I'm planning the ride in Va Beach, where it's mostly flat, and doing
    :: it on bike paths. (there's 137 miles of them down there!). It would
    :: take a big stroke of luck to find an organized ride in Va Beach to
    :: co-incide with my attempt, but I'll definitely try to check that
    :: out. I'm heading back down there in about a month. Even if the ride
    :: was a 50 miler, I could do that and then finish up on my own. Great
    :: idea...

    Have you checked with your local bike clubs? They have lots of organized
    rides around here, I don't see why they wouldn't there.

    And don't worry about being dropped...check your ego at the door before
    leaving home. I did my 35-mile organized ride last Saturday (turned out to
    be 38-miles 'cause I failed to turn at one paced) and didn't mind not being
    with the pack. Besides, there are riders of every level out there...I found
    people that I had to pass up simply because they are going way too slow --
    and they were much smaller than me. I ended up riding with this one nice
    lady who had only been riding a week - on her hubbies bike - and had bought
    herself a bike the night before this ride! The lady didn't even understand
    about shifting gears...so she would fight her way uphill in too high a gear
    and then fly down the other side. of course, I would drop to granny gear
    and smoke her going up the hill (that was too funny given that I must weight
    80 lbs more than her). I would get to top, wait for her, and then she'd
    eventually come flying by...and then I'd have to catch up to her 🙂

    The organized ride was a lot of fun. They had good rest stops, too. Free
    food. I even won a raffle price -- a basker full of biking goodies -- high
    viz yellow vest (in XL), insulated water bottle, sweatband, park allen
    wrench set, some kind of lube stuff, atlantic coast biking tour book, biking
    socks, two chocolate bars, some energy gel stuff, and a bunch of toostie
    rolls! It more than covered the $20 I spent on the ride.

    And they had great sag support - so if you give out someone will come pick
    you up, or help fix your machine!

    If I had 137 miles of flat roads to ride, then I'd try a century tomorrow 🙂

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    David Kerber wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>,
    :: [email hidden] says...
    :::
    ::: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    ::: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    ::: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::
    :: How long is "long" (mile-wise, that is)?
    ::
    ::
    ::: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    ::: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    ::: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    ::: 3-2-1-2?
    :::
    ::: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2
    ::: weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
    ::: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
    ::: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it
    ::: up?
    ::
    :: I'd probably put the first rest stop well before the 3 hour point,
    :: and space them more evenly. Maybe 1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5, or 2-2-2-2.
    :: Also, 30 minutes might be too long of a break; it might give your
    :: muscles too long, so that you would need a long warm up again when
    :: you start back up YMMV a lot on this, and will probably depend on
    :: the weather (temperature particularly). More frequent, shorter
    :: breaks work well for many people, such as 5 to 10 minutes every hour.

    How many times (or how many miles) would you break on a century ride?

    I've never done a century, but on shorter rides (60 miles / 4 to 5
    hours) or so), I find that 15 minutes every 1.5 to 2 hours works well
    for me. I do munch a peanut butter cracker or chocolate chip cookie and
    take periodic swigs of water or gatorade more frequently than that.

    Other people with more long distance experience than me will weigh in as
    well, I'm sure.

    .....

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  14. Badger_South wrote:
    :: On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:09:19 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
    :: <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Badger_South wrote:
    ::::: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    ::::: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    ::::: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    :::::
    ::::: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
    ::::: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
    ::::: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
    ::::: 3-2-1-2?
    :::
    ::: Why not start doing long rides on the weekends, but increasing them
    ::: by 10% every other week or so. You can work on speed during the
    ::: week, but do your endurance riding on weekends.
    ::
    :: Oh, I plan on doing more long rides, and want to have several more
    :: three hour rides, and maybe a four hour ride. I seem to do pretty
    :: good on 3-a-day rides of 60-90 minutes right now - no pain anywhere
    :: the next day, etc. I think trying to slowly ramp up to 8 hours would
    :: involve just too much boredom. (I have to get pretty psyched to do
    :: 2.5 hours, but I know I'm just a noob, so I'll suspend that opinion
    :: a bit.)

    But that's what your target is...so if you going to be bored on your event,
    what's the point? I have yet to get bored on a good route...maybe changing
    up your route is in order!

    Remember, you perform as you train. So if you want to get ready for an
    event, you need to gear your training for that event. A sprinter doesn't
    develop sprinting ability by doing only long rides, nor does a distance
    riding develop endurance by doing mostly sprinting (even though sprinting
    and training for speed will help improve speed on a long ride).

    ::
    ::: Personally, I don't like the "killer" riding events like you
    ::: mention since you're on the road with cars and need to be 100% all
    ::: of the time, and you have no base developed. Also, you don't give
    ::: your butt and muscles time to adjust with your plan. Chances of
    ::: injury seem too high to me....
    ::
    :: Well, I'd take exception to the 'no base developed'.

    I meant base for very long rides.

    I'll have been
    :: riding for a year, every single frikin' day, and many, many
    :: two-a-day and a lot of three-a-day rides. I know it can take up to
    :: 10 years to really develop your base, but sheesh. <g> I'm pretty
    :: sure I could go out today, given sufficient motivation and do 4
    :: hours on the road. (I'm not counting distance, just time, although I
    :: would hope the total distance would add up to around 100miles at the
    :: end.)

    Wow...100 miles in 4 hours. I'm impressed. I'm counting on 8 hours.

    ::
    :: I find that unless I'm nearly 'ready' to do a long ride like this, I
    :: don't start contemplating it. I did the 50 miler after kinda having
    :: the idea pop into my head a few days prior, (at the time my longest
    :: ride was 22 miles, and 9 months of riding) and thinking 'why not'.

    Yeah, but think about how adding another 50 miles on top of that 50 would
    feel.

    :: It was -way- easier than I thought it would be, and it was on the
    :: 45lb beater bike. Had I been paying attention, I'd have tacked on
    :: the extra miles later that day to equal a metric century.
    ::
    :: I've read stories (admittedly of younger riders) only training for a
    :: year to do some touring and then actually get in shape during the
    :: tour. Of course they were riding with a group and stuff.
    ::
    ::::: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like
    ::::: 2 weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
    ::::: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
    ::::: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it
    ::::: up?
    :::::
    ::::: I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna
    ::::: try and get the family interested in it to help with that.
    :::::
    ::::: I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's
    ::::: the big deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a
    ::::: lot (like frequent 3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been
    ::::: 3.5 hours, and only did that once. I'm hoping to get some posts on
    ::::: others who have done something like this, and their experiences vs
    ::::: the initial expectations.
    :::
    ::: Build up slowly...
    ::
    :: That's a good idea, but I'm going on the thought that in jogging,
    :: you can run middle-of-the pack races pretty well on a 25 mile per
    :: week base (for a year) and the longest run 1/3 that of the total
    :: distance. For instance my first 10 miler I did on a few months of
    :: 30miles/week, and doing a 10K race every couple weeks. My longest
    :: jog was about 6.5 miles. I had no negative sequelae after the race,
    :: and resumed my training post, no problem.

    Have you read the book "Long Distance Cycling"? You can get it for $0.98
    via amazon.com.

    ::
    :: Thanks for the input, though, Rog. How's the new wheel holding up?
    :: ;-)
    ::
    :::::
    ::::: I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first
    ::::: light.
    :::
    ::: That's what I do..
    :::
    ::::: o 5:30-8:30
    ::::: o 9:00-11:00
    ::::: o 12:-1
    ::::: o 2-4pm
    :::::
    ::::: TIA,
    :::::
    ::::: -Badger

  15. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:48:12 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:


    <snip>

    You're not ready.

    Work up to it. Do a 4 hour ride this weekend. Add a half hour or an
    hour every weekend.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  16. Badger_South <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    ....
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.
    o 5:30-8:30
    o 9:00-11:00
    o 12:-1
    o 2-4pm

    I often do brevets and double centuries for enjoyment and my advice is
    to go for it. Your plan sounds reasonable and you don't plan on
    pushing yourself too hard. You also sound like you are regularly
    riding 100 miles per week so a easy paced 100 mile 8 hour flat ride
    sounds very reasonable to me. Getting you wife involved also helps.
    My wife enjoys this and is more than happy to meet me with food. Just
    be sure and eat and drink during your ride.

    If I were on the east coast I would join you.

    Enjoy,
    Tom

  17. Rick Onanian said:

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:48:12 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:


    <snip>

    You're not ready.

    Work up to it. Do a 4 hour ride this weekend. Add a half hour or an
    hour every weekend.

    I'm not ready, in regards to what? Are you saying I could -not- do this
    ride at my current level of training by, say Oct?

    Bet me $500, and I'll do it tomorrow, big guy! ;->

    -B

  18. Badger_South wrote:
    :: On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:46:43 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>
    :: wrote:
    ::
    ::: On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:48:12 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>
    ::: wrote:
    :::: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
    :::: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
    :::: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
    ::: <snip>
    :::
    ::: You're not ready.
    :::
    ::: Work up to it. Do a 4 hour ride this weekend. Add a half hour or an
    ::: hour every weekend.
    ::
    :: I'm not ready, in regards to what? Are you saying I could -not- do
    :: this ride at my current level of training by, say Oct?

    I think he suggested you work up to an 8-hour ride over time, rather than
    just jumping to 8 hours of total riding per day.

    You know, there are people who have PhDs (like Ed Burke) and years of riding
    experience combined who write books on training for long rides (and other
    stuff regarding cycling). You're educated, but a noob to riding...why not
    avail yourself of accumlated knowledge and hard-won time in the saddle?

    ::
    :: Bet me $500, and I'll do it tomorrow, big guy! ;->
    ::
    :: -B

  19. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:45:34 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:22:38 -0400, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a summer of
    400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to pacing. Here's
    something I've been thinking about:

    How long is "long" (mile-wise, that is)?

    I'm not too worried about the mileage, although I would hope that after 8
    hours of well-spaced riding that it would be around 100 miles.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat, then ride
    for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat rest, then ride
    final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme? 3-2-1-2?

    People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.
    'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would probably require a
    "support crew" to bring food and change of clothes and stuff. If you were
    gonna do it how would you break it up?

    I'd probably put the first rest stop well before the 3 hour point, and
    space them more evenly. Maybe 1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5-1.5, or 2-2-2-2. Also,
    30 minutes might be too long of a break; it might give your muscles too
    long, so that you would need a long warm up again when you start back up
    YMMV a lot on this, and will probably depend on the weather (temperature
    particularly). More frequent, shorter breaks work well for many people,
    such as 5 to 10 minutes every hour.

    Oh, I forgot to mention that. I find that a 2 min rest every 10-15 miles
    helps a lot, and I plan to incorporate that in addition to the other rest
    stops.

    I like the idea of the first segment being around 3-4 hours, b/c I have
    that much motivation, initially. Then knowing I'm 1/3 to 1/2 way there
    helps with the last part. But I like your plan of 2 hours and a 10 min
    break after that. As I said, I'm anticipating that the major hurdle will be
    80-90% mental. ;-)

    -B

    Well, at the beginning of the day, mental can be a major hurdle. But
    if you use up your glycogen stores, mental stuff gets real hard. A
    brain without energy is a very unhappy brain, and things can get very
    ugly.

    This might be one of the major physical differences between 3 hours
    and 8 hours. In 3 hours you might push the reserves down to zero, but
    it's ok. In 8 hours, you have to add new reserves as the day goes
    along.

    Plan on eating throughout the day. Nothing worse than bonking in the
    last half hour before the night's camp ground or final destination.
    Those have been the worst times I have had when touring- being 5-10
    miles from the night's destination, and being completely beat and
    empty.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the big
    deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot (like frequent
    3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5 hours, and only did that
    once. I'm hoping to get some posts on others who have done something like
    this, and their experiences vs the initial expectations.

    Doing one day of excessive miles is actually quite easy. It's the next
    day to watch out for!

  20. Quoted message said:

    I'm not ready, in regards to what? Are you saying I could -not- do this
    ride at my current level of training by, say Oct?

    Bet me $500, and I'll do it tomorrow, big guy! ;->

    Why do you enter a newsgroup, ask for advice from knowledgeable people, and
    then argue with the advice?

    Just read and absorb and make your own decision!

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
    (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
    (Family Web Page)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.