Road Cycling · Public discussion

Plagiarism and Velonews

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 20 posts · 632 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 November 2005
Last activity
22 November 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
632
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://cyclocosm.com/2005/11/cycling-news-plagiarism-rant.html

    So this Wednesday, I noticed that there were some, uh, similarities
    between a Cyclingnews story and VeloNews story. I'll save you the
    long-winded dissertation by just giving you the link to it above. It's
    worth a read and some discussion, I think.

    -Cosmo

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://cyclocosm.com/2005/11/cycling-news-plagiarism-rant.html

    So this Wednesday, I noticed that there were some, uh, similarities
    between a Cyclingnews story and VeloNews story. I'll save you the
    long-winded dissertation by just giving you the link to it above. It's
    worth a read and some discussion, I think.

    -Cosmo

    The only similarity is that they both covered the same story. Your
    "examples" are absolutely lame. They don't show what you'd like to think
    they show. Back under the rock for you.

  3. B. Lafferty said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://cyclocosm.com/2005/11/cycling-news-plagiarism-rant.html

    So this Wednesday, I noticed that there were some, uh, similarities
    between a Cyclingnews story and VeloNews story. I'll save you the
    long-winded dissertation by just giving you the link to it above. It's
    worth a read and some discussion, I think.

    -Cosmo

    The only similarity is that they both covered the same story. Your
    "examples" are absolutely lame. They don't show what you'd like to think
    they show. Back under the rock for you.

    At least he told us that he has major problems with Cyclingnews before
    he went off.
    It's tough to figure out here. It's a pretty sure thing that they are
    working off the same press releases, or sources reading the same press
    releases, both cover the details given. Yep must be that Cyclingnews
    stole the story, couldn't be any other answer.
    Bad Jeff!
    Bill C

  4. Bill C said:


    B. Lafferty said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://cyclocosm.com/2005/11/cycling-news-plagiarism-rant.html

    So this Wednesday, I noticed that there were some, uh, similarities
    between a Cyclingnews story and VeloNews story. I'll save you the
    long-winded dissertation by just giving you the link to it above.
    It's worth a read and some discussion, I think.

    -Cosmo

    The only similarity is that they both covered the same story. Your
    "examples" are absolutely lame. They don't show what you'd like to
    think they show. Back under the rock for you.

    At least he told us that he has major problems with Cyclingnews
    before
    he went off.
    It's tough to figure out here. It's a pretty sure thing that they are
    working off the same press releases, or sources reading the same press
    releases, both cover the details given. Yep must be that Cyclingnews
    stole the story, couldn't be any other answer.
    Bad Jeff!
    Bill C

    I thought the implication was that VeloNews took the story from
    CyclingNews?

    It doesn't matter, it is unlikely plagarism was involved, unless you count
    two different writers taking the same information from the same press
    release as plagarism.

    --
    Bill Asher

  5. William Asher said:
    Bill C said:


    B. Lafferty said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > http://cyclocosm.com/2005/11/cycling-news-plagiarism-rant.html
    >
    > So this Wednesday, I noticed that there were some, uh, similarities
    > between a Cyclingnews story and VeloNews story. I'll save you the
    > long-winded dissertation by just giving you the link to it above.
    > It's worth a read and some discussion, I think.
    >
    > -Cosmo
    >

    The only similarity is that they both covered the same story. Your
    "examples" are absolutely lame. They don't show what you'd like to
    think they show. Back under the rock for you.

    At least he told us that he has major problems with Cyclingnews
    before
    he went off.
    It's tough to figure out here. It's a pretty sure thing that they are
    working off the same press releases, or sources reading the same press
    releases, both cover the details given. Yep must be that Cyclingnews
    stole the story, couldn't be any other answer.
    Bad Jeff!
    Bill C

    I thought the implication was that VeloNews took the story from
    CyclingNews?

    It doesn't matter, it is unlikely plagarism was involved, unless you count
    two different writers taking the same information from the same press
    release as plagarism.

    --
    Bill Asher


    My screw up.got it backwards Sorry.
    Bill C

  6. Bill C wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    My screw up.got it backwards Sorry.

    No really, it doesn't matter. I just thought if I pointed out the error
    first it might prevent Mad Dog from flaming you. Ok, nothing would stop
    that, but the real reason was I was hoping it would make me look super
    smart, Heidi Fleiss would hear about me and hire me to work in her new
    brothel for women, and I would get to ride a bicycle, among other things,
    in a warm climate for a change.

    I guess this post blows away the first one in terms of intelligence but
    then I didn't really want to move to Nevada anyway. It's all good.

    --
    Bill Asher

  7. William Asher said:

    Bill C wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    My screw up.got it backwards Sorry.

    No really, it doesn't matter. I just thought if I pointed out the error
    first it might prevent Mad Dog from flaming you. Ok, nothing would stop
    that, but the real reason was I was hoping it would make me look super
    smart, Heidi Fleiss would hear about me and hire me to work in her new
    brothel for women, and I would get to ride a bicycle, among other things,
    in a warm climate for a change.

    I guess this post blows away the first one in terms of intelligence but
    then I didn't really want to move to Nevada anyway. It's all good.

    --
    Bill Asher


    That Nevada thing just might be a pretty good gig, if you didn't end
    up spending the paycheck next door, and ended up too worn out to ride.
    MD seems to have a thing for Brian, like that's odd around here, but
    Brian's a big boy. If he wants to flame me, he's going to have to fight
    it out with Amit to see who gets to go first.
    No big deal, keeps me on my toes and honest.
    Bill C

  8. Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Number_of_words_in_English

    -Cosmo
    http://cyclocosm.com

  9. Quoted message said:

    Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?


    No.

  10. On 11/18/2005 11:17 PM, in article
    [email hidden],

    Quoted post said:

    Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Number_of_words_in_English

    Writers for the English newspaper, the Times of London, must each wear at
    least 5 articles of the same unusual clothing; with long words that came out
    of another language.

    Oh my god, I just used the same word as Cosmo something like 15 times! I'm
    a plagiarist!

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

  11. Bill C says...

    Quoted message said:

    MD seems to have a thing for Brian

    Uggh, no thanks. Just an easy target.

    Quoted message said:

    No big deal, keeps me on my toes and honest.

    Now if you'll work on accurate and correct, we'll have a minor league win.

  12. "Mad Dog" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    No big deal, keeps me on my toes and honest.

    Now if you'll work on accurate and correct, we'll have a minor league win.

    Speak for yourself.

  13. Steven L. Sheffield said:

    On 11/18/2005 11:17 PM, in article
    [email hidden],
    "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Writers for the English newspaper, the Times of London, must each wear at
    least 5 articles of the same unusual clothing; with long words that came out
    of another language.

    Oh my god, I just used the same word as Cosmo something like 15 times! I'm
    a plagiarist!

    You weren't writing on the same topic as I was. Additionally, you
    didn't use a nearly identical sentence structure, and you weren't
    getting paid to do it.

    "Writers for the Times of London have to wear at least 5 articles of
    the same unusual clothing. Journalists at the English paper must also
    wear those clothes with long words that came out of another language."

    That would be plagiarism, if you'd written your reply for one
    publication, and I'd written the section in quotation marks above in
    another.

  14. Quoted message said:

    Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Number_of_words_in_English

    Cos,

    Most of those words are hardly ever used.

    A typical text of 30-40,000 words might use only about 2000-4000
    unique words. If you've ever written a long text, try running a
    concordance program on it. It's sobering to realize how
    repetitive we are.

    The cyclingnews and velonews articles are clearly both referring
    to a common source or sources. You can tell that, because they
    both refer to things Zomegnan told the Italian press, but they
    used entirely different quotes. Either both writers are reading the
    Italian papers or they both have the same press releases from
    the UCI and Zomegnan. It's fairly common for articles to use
    material from press releases without citing the release
    (that's what press releases are for). When you read an article
    in the newspaper that says "Person X said Y," it doesn't
    necessarily mean that the reporter called X to get the quote,
    but that the quote was relayed by an authorized source -
    press release, spokesman, publicist, etc.

    The first sentences you quote have very similar content, but they
    are statements of the basic facts. The only really odd thing is
    that both articles end by mentioning the Tour of the Basque
    Country. It's possible one mention inspired the other, but it's
    also possible that the Basque situation was aired among the
    cycling press sometime during the couple of days that the UCI
    and Giro were batting around this half-stage business.

    In general, it's hard to prove a charge of plagiarism (even at
    the undergrad level) on statements of bare fact, without finding
    literal copying. There are only so many ways to express a fact.
    On the other hand, similarities in descriptions and opinion
    passages are more suspicious.

    If you care more about this there have been a bunch of articles
    in Slate over the past few years, especially Tim Noah's pursuit
    of well-known yet serial-copyists Doris Kearns Goodwin and
    Stephen Ambrose:

    http://www.slate.com/?querytext=plagiarism&id=3944&searchfromtoc=Go&action=fulltext

  15. Steven L. Sheffield said:

    Oh my god, I just used the same word as Cosmo something like 15 times! I'm
    a plagiarist!

    Get with the program and learn to post in french. Only works for doping
    posts though, but thats ok since it covers 90% of rbr posts anyway,

  16. Steven L. Sheffield said:

    On 11/18/2005 11:17 PM, in article
    [email hidden],

    Quoted post said:

    Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Number_of_words_in_English

    Writers for the English newspaper, the Times of London, must each wear at
    least 5 articles of the same unusual clothing; with long words that came out
    of another language.

    Oh my god, I just used the same word as Cosmo something like 15 times! I'm
    a plagiarist!

    There's some sort of conspiracy of plagerists going on here. Every post
    I've looked at uses the word "the".

    Uh-oh! Now I've been roped into the conspiracy too! Triply so!

  17. Steven L. Sheffield said:

    Oh my god, I just used the same word as Cosmo something like 15 times! I'm
    a plagiarist!

    Get with the program and learn to post in french. Only works for doping
    posts though, but thats ok since it covers 90% of rbr posts anyway,

  18. "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Guys, there's like what, 700,000 words in the English language? And
    these two articles, each like 200 words long, came up with the same
    word, what 5, 6 times? And you see nothing unusual with that?


    <snip>

    I think there are better conspiracies to waste bandwidth on than this one.

    And remember, you can't spell "platyhelminthes" without the first three
    letters of "plagarism."

    --
    Bill Asher

  19. It's only plagiarism if it's a *good* story.

    It's all liner for the birdcage in the end.

    -Chris Mitchell

  20. Bill C says...

    Quoted message said:

    As soon as I move up to knowing it all like you, I'll let you know but
    don't hold your breath.

    I won't even pretend to hold my breath on that one. Thanks for the promotion up
    to Know It All status but it's not really deserved. For example, I don't have
    the slightest idea why people here have the bizarre fixations they have. But
    I'm pretty sure I don't want to know and I've always thought it is more
    important to know what kinds of things to avoid knowing instead of just
    accumulating a bunch of [censored].

    Quoted message said:

    But I will pretend to aspire to your standards, NOT.

    Pretending is about all you could do along those lines.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry what you see is what you get, and the really cool thing is that
    when I'm wrong, I learn things. I picked up a bunch of stuff from you
    and Howard in that thread.

    That's great. I learned some good stuff as a result of it too and that's about
    the only goal I have. There always seems to be a crossing of paths when it
    comes to Johnny Cash. Like when he died, it was like a disturbance in the
    force. Did you feel the force, Luke, er, I mean, Bill?

    Quoted message said:

    Looks like I got something good out of being imperfect again.

    Who would really want to be perfect? I enjoy my multitude of imperfections. I
    collect them like a kid does candy at Halloween, except that I avoid eating them
    later.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.