Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Picture Trekking multi position bars on bike WHERE???

Started by Robert Box · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,349 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 December 2003
Last activity
26 December 2003
Original author
Robert Box
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,349
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks

    nashbar.comprofile moreimages.cfm

  2. I have some ina catalog I think. I can scan it and email it to you later.

    The way I have seen them set up was surprising to me. They are mounted with the curved extensions
    towards the back of the bike and you then install the shifters, brake levers and mtbb grips there.
    The rest of the bar is then covered with bar tape. I considered this odd since I ran Scott wrap
    around bars for so long that had the extension out towards the front.

    "Robert Box" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks


    nashbar.comprofile moreimages.cfm

  3. "Robert Box" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks


    nashbar.comprofile moreimages.cfm

    Here's the best I can do:

    w.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47677190&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
    1&color=&img=/big/chips/704262_9724.JPG&view=large

    If there is an REI near you, you can see this bike in person.

    My wife and I have used these bars on our hybreds. They offer many hand positions, and though odd-
    looking are surprisingly comfortable and practical

  4. "Robert Box" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?


    cut.... fastload.netbike.html This is a picture of a Giant I rode from
    Slough to Santiago that came with this type of bar. The bar is covered with foam tubing not tape.
    You may need a slightly longer stem when using them as the main riding position where brakes aand
    changers are is set back behind the stem. Also the order the changers and brakes are put on on each
    side of the bar is reversed.

    These bars are extremely comfortable for touring because they offer a multitude of hand positions.
    On both of my trips to Santiago I noticed that the majority of Dutch riders doing the pilgrimage on
    bespoke bikes have them fitted.

    My local LBS in the UK had no problems getting me these bars and the appropriate foam tubes when I
    fitted a set to another Bike I built. retep

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Robert Box
    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks

    nashbar.comprofile moreimages.cfm

    REI Safari bicycle has bars that look like that. Not all REI's carry it in stock. The picture on their site doesn't give you much to look at.
    There are a couple of shots of bars that look like them on a private sale site gallery at URL:
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/aiaboni/bike

  6. "peter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Robert Box" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?


    cut.... fastload.netbike.html This is a picture of a Giant I rode from
    Slough to Santiago that came with this type of bar. The bar is covered with foam tubing not tape.
    You may need a slightly longer stem when using them as the main riding position where brakes aand
    changers are is set back behind the stem. Also the order the changers and brakes are put on on
    each side of the bar is reversed.

    These bars are extremely comfortable for touring because they offer a multitude of hand positions.
    On both of my trips to Santiago I noticed that the majority of Dutch riders doing the pilgrimage
    on bespoke bikes have them fitted.

    My local LBS in the UK had no problems getting me these bars and the appropriate foam tubes when I
    fitted a set to another Bike I built. retep

    Thanks for all the replys. I am considering a set since drops create too many wrist / hand
    problems for me.

  7. [email hidden] (Robert Box) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks

    nashbar.comprofile moreimages.cfm

    villigerbikes.chontario.htm

  8. "Robert Box" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.

    Thanks

    Another equally poor picture of trekking bars...

    kogausa.comWorldTraveller Rspecs.htm

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Robert Box) said:

    Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    The other comments about the orientation of these bars agrees with our experiece. My wife had a bike
    that was too long for her comfort and these bars gave her a comfortable riding position on the
    regular grips as well as forward on the "extended" portion. The extended portion put her in the same
    position as she would have been in on bar ends. I put grips on the extended part as well . . . lube
    well with alcohol.

    Tom Gibb <[email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.