rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Pics of bent KH rim

Started by MuniAddict · · Last activity · 13 posts · 292 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
11 September 2006
Last activity
12 September 2006
Original author
MuniAddict
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
292
Views / 30 days
9
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As per request. This older version KH freeride rim has/had an inherent
    flaw-that pesky "groove" running through the middle of the sidewall
    actually CAUSED or at least significantly contibuted to the damage,
    beacuse that's precisely where the "separation" damage occured. The
    new KH rims do _not_ have this groove, and so hopefully it will
    withstand drops much better. I was thinking about replacing the KH rim
    with a LM, but decided to just get the new vers. KH rim, and run a gazz
    on it. Besides, lots cheaper and I won't need brake boss extenders,
    *AND* I'll be back on the trail sooner! ((Friday😄)

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: bent.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/15072 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniAddict

    Quoted message said:


    A bold, cathartic diatribe ensued for great, humorous increments,
    jovial kernels launched mindfully, numbing old people quickly,
    rendering silver titanium UNICYCLES victorious, with X-mas young
    zest!😄


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  2. Bryan Stevens said:

    .
    15073

    Yep! There's that SUCKY groove in the rim!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!
    Whoever and WHYEVER they came up with that idea needs to be shot!😄

    --
    MuniAddict

    Quoted message said:


    A bold, cathartic diatribe ensued for great, humorous increments,
    jovial kernels launched mindfully, numbing old people quickly,
    rendering silver titanium UNICYCLES victorious, with X-mas young
    zest!😄


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  3. Ops! Nice rim there 😉 How do you do to bend it soo? High drops? :P

    --
    Johaaan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Johaaan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13429
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  4. Johaaan said:

    Ops! Nice rim there 😉 How do you do to bend it soo? High drops? :P

    High side hop/drop to flat with no real room for a smooth, quick
    roll-out. Plus, simply too little tire pressure so I bottomed out on
    the poor old rim!🙁

    --
    MuniAddict

    Quoted message said:


    A bold, cathartic diatribe ensued for great, humorous increments,
    jovial kernels launched mindfully, numbing old people quickly,
    rendering silver titanium UNICYCLES victorious, with X-mas young
    zest!😄


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  5. now you get to up grade it lol 😄

    --
    UniMOG

    You live only once
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UniMOG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12409
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  6. I have a Nimbus rim with that groove and it now has that same split.
    Went to the LM Surly rim - no groove - and switched from a Duro to a
    IRC Kujo tire. The result was the ability to go down a steep hill
    covered with loose dirt and leaves at a local MTB trail that the other
    set-up would break traction on. Couldn't be happier about that split
    rim now.....

    --
    b2bivy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  7. b2bivy said:

    I have a Nimbus rim with that groove and it now has that same split.
    Went to the LM Surly rim - no groove - and switched from a Duro to a
    IRC Kujo tire. The result was the ability to go down a steep hill
    covered with loose dirt and leaves at a local MTB trail that the other
    set-up would break traction on. Couldn't be happier about that split
    rim now.....

    Yeah I think I'll have similar traction improvement by just upgrading to
    the Gazz with the newest KH 42mm rim. But just how wide *is* wide
    enough? 42, 65, 100? There's got to be (a morning after... eew!) a
    point at which too much width becomes overkill. Does Kris Holm ride
    with a Large marge, or his standard KH rim? I know that the Alex DX 32
    rim is even narrower than the KH, but lots of people use them with
    great success. I guess it just comes down to personal prefs.😄

    --
    MuniAddict

    Quoted message said:


    A bold, cathartic diatribe ensued for great, humorous increments,
    jovial kernels launched mindfully, numbing old people quickly,
    rendering silver titanium UNICYCLES victorious, with X-mas young
    zest!😄


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  8. MuniAddict said:

    But just how wide *is* wide enough? 42, 65, 100? There's got to be (a
    morning after... eew!) a point at which too much width becomes
    overkill..... I guess it just comes down to personal prefs.😄

    I've yet to have the experience of - Gee I could have made that IF I
    just had a wider rim/tire set-up. On the other hand I didn't know I
    needed one till I had one.....

    --
    b2bivy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  9. MuniAddict said:

    Yep! There's that SUCKY groove in the rim!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!
    Whoever and WHYEVER they came up with that idea needs to be shot!😄

    Well, from what I hear Kris had specifically requested they not be put
    on but somehow the factory responsibile went ahead and put them on the
    "bad batch" of rims anyways. So so sucky.
    The groove is designed to keep the braking surface in good shape and
    assist in braking etc, however we dont need it on unicycle rims and its
    just unfortunate that they were built this way.
    I know for a fact that UDC here in NZ has refused to sell at least one
    of these rims (19 inch version). But thats life huh.

    --
    muzzle

    my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3)
    http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3
    my website: '!muzzle!' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr)
    http://www.muzzle.co.nr
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  10. muzzle said:

    Well, from what I hear Kris had specifically requested they not be put
    on but somehow the factory responsibile went ahead and put them on the
    "bad batch" of rims anyways. So so sucky.
    The groove is designed to keep the braking surface in good shape and
    assist in braking etc, however we dont need it on unicycle rims and its
    just unfortunate that they were built this way.
    I know for a fact that UDC here in NZ has refused to sell at least one
    of these rims (19 inch version). Well UDC assured me that the KH rims
    they sell now don't have those rim grooves! Better not!😠

    --
    MuniAddict

    Quoted message said:


    A bold, cathartic diatribe ensued for great, humorous increments,
    jovial kernels launched mindfully, numbing old people quickly,
    rendering silver titanium UNICYCLES victorious, with X-mas young
    zest!😄


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  11. MuniAddict said:

    Well UDC assured me that the KH rims they sell now don't have those rim
    grooves! Better not!😠

    Yeah, The bad ones are an OLD batch of rims, from the very first
    shipment of '05 KH's.

    --
    muzzle

    my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3)
    http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3
    my website: '!muzzle!' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr)
    http://www.muzzle.co.nr
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

  12. I had one of these rims, that bust when riding on pavement ripping the
    entire side of the rim off. Of course UDC immeadiately rebuilt the
    wheel for me free of charge with a lovely no groovy KH rim, not had any
    probkems since. But I came up witha good diea for what to do with the
    old rim, im just about to post a thread about it.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53179

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.