General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Photos: High apple pie in the making

Started by PeterLucas · · Last activity · 15 posts · 278 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 October 2007
Last activity
7 November 2007
Original author
PeterLucas
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
278
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

  2. PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    We drove over to Illinois, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis
    (maybe not meaningful to a person from Australia), and picked a bunch
    of apples. While there, my wife bought an apple pie that had a lard
    crust. I'm not a pie lover, but she found it delightful.

    --Bryan

  3. Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1191459276.738659.137260
    @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:
    PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    We drove over to Illinois, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis
    (maybe not meaningful to a person from Australia), and picked a bunch
    of apples. While there, my wife bought an apple pie that had a lard
    crust. I'm not a pie lover, but she found it delightful.

    --Bryan

    I'll have to dig up my recipe and post it. If you/she like sweet things,
    you'll love this one.

    I made it for a dinner party we had....... and didn't get to even try it!!
    As soon as the guests tried it, they immediately went back for seconds, and
    in one case, thirds.

    But...... a *lard* crust??!!

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    Looks amazing! ;-d
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

  5. PeterLucas said:

    Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1191459276.738659.137260
    @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:
    PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    Quoted message said:

    We drove over to Illinois, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis
    (maybe not meaningful to a person from Australia), and picked a bunch
    of apples. While there, my wife bought an apple pie that had a lard
    crust. I'm not a pie lover, but she found it delightful.

    Quoted message said:

    --Bryan

    I'll have to dig up my recipe and post it. If you/she like sweet things,
    you'll love this one.

    I made it for a dinner party we had....... and didn't get to even try it!!
    As soon as the guests tried it, they immediately went back for seconds, and
    in one case, thirds.

    But...... a *lard* crust??!!

    I guess it's an American thing. I agree that butter tastes better,
    but lard is lower in moisture, and reputedly makes a better textured
    crust. Lard, whatever its downsides, is also healthier than
    hydrogenated shortening, which is what they use all too often here in
    the USA..

    --Bryan

  6. On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:37:37 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?
    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

  7. On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:03:23 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    But...... a *lard* crust??!!

    Consider it the "old fashioned" way to make crust.

    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

  8. One time on Usenet said:

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:37:37 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%20pie%
    20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?

    Me neither. And do you have a recipe? Although I'm not sure what
    "custard powder" is...

    --
    Jani in WA

  9. [email hidden] (Little Malice) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    One time on Usenet said:

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:37:37 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    The pastry has custard powder in it, gave it a lovely sweetness.

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/PeterL_2007/High%20apple%


    20p

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ie% 20in%20the%20making/

    http://tinyurl.com/yuhd4w

    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?

    Me neither. And do you have a recipe? Although I'm not sure what
    "custard powder" is...

    I'm digging around for the recipe ............. but here's the custard
    powder.

    http://www.everythingaustralian.com/custardpowder.html

    from........

    Everything Australian
    6929 JOHN F KENNEDY BLVD STE 19
    NORTH LITTLE ROCK AR 72116-5331
    Phone 1-501-833-1600
    Fax 1-501-833-1631
    [email hidden]

    LOL!!!

    And here's a ball tearing bottle opener for you!!

    http://www.everythingaustralian.com/kanscrotboto.html


  10. Quoted message said:


    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?
    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

    The Dutch make a WONDERFUL apple pie (gebak) that is also made in a
    springform pan. It has a delightful crust also. Instead of being a IMHO
    nasty, icky American pie crust, it is almost like a butter cookie crust that
    is pressed or rolled to line the pan. It's wonderful. It usually also has
    a lattice top.

    helen


  11. Quoted message said:


    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?
    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

    The Dutch make a WONDERFUL apple pie (gebak) that is also made in a
    springform pan. It has a delightful crust also. Instead of being a IMHO
    nasty, icky American pie crust, it is almost like a butter cookie crust that
    is pressed or rolled to line the pan. It's wonderful. It usually also has
    a lattice top.

    helen

  12. PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    Perhaps if you didn't slice them so paper thin.

  13. PeterLucas said:

    I'll have to use more apples next time!!

    Perhaps if you didn't slice them so paper thin.

  14. "chefhelen" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?

    Apple pie.... pie pan..... springform pan.......... helluva lot easier
    to take the (*very* high sided) pie out of a springform than out of a
    'normal' pie dish.

    I also do a lot of my cheesecakes in springform pans.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

    The Dutch make a WONDERFUL apple pie (gebak)

    The best bit of Dutch cooking I ever learned was way back in the 70's
    and I picked it up from the mother of my (then) girlfriend (Girda).

    Cabbage, lightly steamed, tossed with butter and curry powder.

    Every time I've had it since then, I've thought of a beautiful blonde
    haired girl with big bazoombas.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    that is also made in a
    springform pan. It has a delightful crust also. Instead of being a
    IMHO nasty, icky American pie crust, it is almost like a butter cookie
    crust that is pressed or rolled to line the pan. It's wonderful. It
    usually also has a lattice top.

    Recipe??

  15. "chefhelen" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Hmmm. I've never given a thought to using a springform pan for apple
    pie. How did you get that inspiration?

    Apple pie.... pie pan..... springform pan.......... helluva lot easier
    to take the (*very* high sided) pie out of a springform than out of a
    'normal' pie dish.

    I also do a lot of my cheesecakes in springform pans.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

    The Dutch make a WONDERFUL apple pie (gebak)

    The best bit of Dutch cooking I ever learned was way back in the 70's
    and I picked it up from the mother of my (then) girlfriend (Girda).

    Cabbage, lightly steamed, tossed with butter and curry powder.

    Every time I've had it since then, I've thought of a beautiful blonde
    haired girl with big bazoombas.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    that is also made in a
    springform pan. It has a delightful crust also. Instead of being a
    IMHO nasty, icky American pie crust, it is almost like a butter cookie
    crust that is pressed or rolled to line the pan. It's wonderful. It
    usually also has a lattice top.

    Recipe??

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.