in message <[email hidden]>, Black Bat
(') said:I was out cycling with my friend at the weekend and the rear
derailleur on his Peugeot Pulse road bike (2000 model) sheared off.
He's since been told that the part is unobtainable.
Has anybody got any idea where he could get a spare hanger from? It
seems crazy to scrap the frame after only 3 years for want of a small
part which is designed to fail to protect the frame...
I suspect this isn't that uncommon a problem. I broke the mech hanger on
my Mantra (through sheer foolishness), and when I emailed Trek to find
out where to get a new one got the response that they had no new ones,
but they did have a second hand one which they sent me free of charge.
The Mantra has only been out of production at most four years, and as a
serious mountain bike will presumably break hangers more frequently
than road bikes.
This looks like quite a nice line of business for someone with a small
CNC milling machine - I imagine people would pay quite a lot for
replacement mech hangers for favourite bikes (I certainly would), and
if you simply bought spare mech hangers for all the good current
generation bikes and reverse engineered them then in future you could
turn them out at a substantial premium.
Meantime, it you have a favourite bike which uses a mech hanger, go out
and buy a spare one (or even more) now, before they go out of
production.
--
[email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/