General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Pete Miller's Filet Mignon Oscar ?

Started by AL · · Last activity · 8 posts · 693 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 August 2005
Last activity
13 August 2005
Original author
AL
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
693
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had Filet Oscar at Pete Miller's (upper-mid-range steak/seafood restaurant
    in the Chicago burbs) earlier tonight. The bed of asparagus was just
    right--not too crispy, not too soft. The filet mignon was tender, warm, and
    medium rare the right way (ie. slightly pink, not red). The lobster in
    cream sauce on top was sweet and tender. Mmmm good.

    But at $60 per person (including non-alcohol drink, dessert and tip), I
    can't be doing this every night. I know how to cook asparagus, filet mignon
    and lobster. But what was in the cream sauce? Anyone know?

  2. AL said:

    I had Filet Oscar at Pete Miller's (upper-mid-range steak/seafood restaurant
    in the Chicago burbs) earlier tonight. The bed of asparagus was just
    right--not too crispy, not too soft. The filet mignon was tender, warm, and
    medium rare the right way (ie. slightly pink, not red). The lobster in
    cream sauce on top was sweet and tender. Mmmm good.

    But at $60 per person (including non-alcohol drink, dessert and tip), I
    can't be doing this every night. I know how to cook asparagus, filet mignon
    and lobster. But what was in the cream sauce? Anyone know?

    I know the chef at one of their locations, I'll try to find out...

    Which one did you go to?

    --
    Best
    Greg

  3. AL asked:

    Quoted message said:

    I had Filet Oscar at Pete Miller's (upper-mid-range steak/seafood
    restaurant in the Chicago burbs) earlier tonight. The bed of asparagus
    was just right--not too crispy, not too soft. The filet mignon was
    tender, warm, and medium rare the right way (ie. slightly pink, not red).
    The lobster in cream sauce on top was sweet and tender. Mmmm good.

    But at $60 per person (including non-alcohol drink, dessert and tip), I
    can't be doing this every night. I know how to cook asparagus, filet
    mignon and lobster. But what was in the cream sauce? Anyone know?

    If they're following the "real" Oscar formula, that cream sauce was actually
    Béarnaise. Here's a link to a recipe for it:

    www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28313,00.html

    Bob

  4. On Thu 11 Aug 2005 09:41:03p, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    AL asked:

    Quoted message said:

    I had Filet Oscar at Pete Miller's (upper-mid-range steak/seafood
    restaurant in the Chicago burbs) earlier tonight. The bed of asparagus
    was just right--not too crispy, not too soft. The filet mignon was
    tender, warm, and medium rare the right way (ie. slightly pink, not
    red). The lobster in cream sauce on top was sweet and tender. Mmmm
    good.

    But at $60 per person (including non-alcohol drink, dessert and tip), I
    can't be doing this every night. I know how to cook asparagus, filet
    mignon and lobster. But what was in the cream sauce? Anyone know?

    If they're following the "real" Oscar formula, that cream sauce was
    actually Béarnaise. Here's a link to a recipe for it:

    www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28313,00.html

    Bob

    It may also have been a sauce like that used in Lobster Thermidor, which is
    (IIRC) a Bechamel Sauce often flavored with sherry.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
    Tested on: 8/11/2005 9:51:24 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  5. Bob said:


    If they're following the "real" Oscar formula, that cream sauce was actually
    Béarnaise. Here's a link to a recipe for it:

    www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28313,00.html


    Mmmmm, good stuff!

  6. AL said:

    I had Filet Oscar at Pete Miller's (upper-mid-range steak/seafood restaurant
    in the Chicago burbs) earlier tonight. The bed of asparagus was just
    right--not too crispy, not too soft. The filet mignon was tender, warm, and
    medium rare the right way (ie. slightly pink, not red).

    "Medium rare the right way" should be a warm red center. A warm pink
    center is medium.

    Pastorio

    The lobster in

    Quoted message said:

    cream sauce on top was sweet and tender. Mmmm good.

    But at $60 per person (including non-alcohol drink, dessert and tip), I
    can't be doing this every night. I know how to cook asparagus, filet mignon
    and lobster. But what was in the cream sauce? Anyone know?

  7. I went to the one in Wheeling. Come to think of it, that was the third
    time.

    Quoted message said:

    Which one did you go to?

    --
    Best
    Greg

  8. Thanks. I'll try it and see how it compares.

    Quoted message said:

    If they're following the "real" Oscar formula, that cream sauce was
    actually Béarnaise. Here's a link to a recipe for it:

    www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28313,00.html

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.