The winter up here was so cold this year that I got out
as soon as I could in April to plant something, anything;
I didn't care as long as I was digging. I planted peas
which the package said could go in the ground early.
Yesterday I harvested peas. I don't think I'd ever tasted
them fresh before. I've always found the frozen ones to
be edible but nothing like this. These were candy just
shelled and eaten raw.
I tossed them around in a little butter with carrots
yesterday just long enough to get them heated, then added
some cream and grated cheese and combined that with pasta.
Very good.
I'd like more ideas. I'd put them raw in salads (I grew
lettuce too), but they're hard to capture with a fork. I
understand that overcooking is the enemy of fresh peas. Stir
fried with other vegetables and served over rice? I feel
like I've got gold and don't want to waste it. I have enough
for about 3-4 more meals.
--Lia