General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Pea Soup made with frozen peas

Started by ~patches~ · · Last activity · 11 posts · 711 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 October 2005
Last activity
18 November 2005
Original author
~patches~
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
711
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago.
    I appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I
    came across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

  2. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
    appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
    across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

    I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
    better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what type
    I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
    I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is another
    use. Thank you.
    Dee Dee

  3. Dee Randall said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
    appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
    across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

    I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
    better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what type
    I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
    I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is another
    use. Thank you.
    Dee Dee


    I would almost be tempted to use swiss chard or spinach or at least a
    rich, dark lettuce. I don't think iceburg lettuce would cut it.

  4. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
    appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
    across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

    I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
    better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what
    type I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
    I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is
    another use. Thank you.
    Dee Dee


    I would almost be tempted to use swiss chard or spinach or at least a
    rich, dark lettuce. I don't think iceburg lettuce would cut it.

    I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
    right, it doesn't work that well.
    Dee Dee

  5. Dee Randall said:


    I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
    right, it doesn't work that well.

    Maybe not for pea soup, I haven't tried that. But in one of her
    earlier books Julia Child gives a recipe for fresh peas. It's simply
    peas simmered in chicken stock with a bunch of iceberg lettuce. By the
    time the peas are done the lettuce has pretty much 'melted away' and
    disappeared, leaving behind the subtlest "extra" flavor. Almost enough
    to warrant shelling the peas. -aem

  6. ~patches~ said:

    Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
    appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
    across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

    That would have been me.... thanks patches, will give it a try - and
    yes, I still have the peas... we are going into summer here now, so they
    were stashed at the back of the freezer 😉

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    The idea is to die young - as late as possible

  7. Dee Randall said:


    I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
    right, it doesn't work that well.

    Maybe not for pea soup, I don't know. But Julia Child gives a recipe
    in one of her earlier books for fresh peas. It's simply fresh shelled
    peas, a bunch of torn up iceberg lettuce, and chicken stock. Simmer
    till done and finish with butter, salt and pepper. By then the lettuce
    has 'melted away' leaving just a vestige of subtle flavor. Almost
    worth the effort of shelling those peas. -aem

  8. "aem" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:


    I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg--
    you're
    right, it doesn't work that well.

    Maybe not for pea soup, I don't know. But Julia Child gives a recipe
    in one of her earlier books for fresh peas. It's simply fresh shelled
    peas, a bunch of torn up iceberg lettuce, and chicken stock. Simmer
    till done and finish with butter, salt and pepper. By then the lettuce
    has 'melted away' leaving just a vestige of subtle flavor. Almost
    worth the effort of shelling those peas. -aem

    Yes, that's the recipe I used. One of the reasons I think it didn't work
    well for me is that I tried using iceburg lettuce in other similar things as
    well, and it didn't taste as good. I think I will still use a stronger
    lettuce, but of course, that will not be as refined a taste as Julia's.
    Thanks for recalling that for me.
    Dee Dee

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ~patches~ said:

    Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago.
    I appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I
    came across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
    http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/FrenchCanadianPeaSoup.htm

    I'm partial to this one:

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

    Recipe By : posted yet again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller,
    10-13-05
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : Slovensky Recepty Soups

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 quarts water
    2 cups diced potatoes
    1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup minced onion
    2 tablespoons flour

    Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
    minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
    lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"😉; stir into soup to thicken
    slightly. Cook until peas are done.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

    _____
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

  10. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say - I made this the
    other day and it was really yummy!

    I do have to admit that I ended up adding some of that chicken boullion
    powder because it didn't have enough "flavor" for me. But with the
    addition of that - it was fantastic....I will be making it again
    although this time I will probably just start with chicken broth in
    place of the water.
    Even my super-picky 5 year old ate some 🙂

    Roberta (in VA)

    Quoted message said:


    I'm partial to this one:

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

    Recipe By : posted yet again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller,
    10-13-05
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : Slovensky Recepty Soups

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 quarts water
    2 cups diced potatoes
    1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup minced onion
    2 tablespoons flour

    Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
    minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
    lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"😉; stir into soup to thicken
    slightly. Cook until peas are done.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

    _____

  11. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say - I made this the
    other day and it was really yummy!

    I do have to admit that I ended up adding some of that chicken boullion
    powder because it didn't have enough "flavor" for me. But with the
    addition of that - it was fantastic....I will be making it again
    although this time I will probably just start with chicken broth in
    place of the water.
    Even my super-picky 5 year old ate some 🙂

    Roberta (in VA)

    Quoted message said:


    I'm partial to this one:

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

    Recipe By : posted yet again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller,
    10-13-05
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : Slovensky Recepty Soups

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 quarts water
    2 cups diced potatoes
    1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup minced onion
    2 tablespoons flour

    Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
    minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
    lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"😉; stir into soup to thicken
    slightly. Cook until peas are done.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

    _____

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.