UK and Europe · Public discussion

Parents For Helmets

Started by John B · · Last activity · 494 posts · 9,443 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 March 2006
Last activity
6 June 2006
Original author
John B
Posts
494
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,443
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 481–494 of 494
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tom Crispin said:


    I give the children the reason for wearing them, they can reduce the
    severity of certain head injuries, which is pretty much indisputable.

    Bad logic. Carrying a lucky rabbits foot can indisputably _prevent_
    the severity of certain injuries - for example, any arising following
    an ugly bloke saying "give me a lucky rabbits foot or I'll pound
    your face in".

    Otherwise, I think you're probably right, and making the best of a bad
    situation.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  2. Colin McKenzie said:

    As suggested elsewhere, parents need a factsheet to explain why their
    anxiety is misplaced, so that they can make an informed decision. Most
    still won't, but at least you've done something to counter the myth in
    their minds. Before the course is a better time for this discussion
    than during it.

    OK. Let's move forward on this and be constructive. Let's use this
    group to write a *cycling to school* fact sheet.

    I'd suggest the following sub headings:
    *Introduction
    *Selecting the right bike
    *Setting up and maintaining a bike
    *Safe cycling strategy (including headwear)

    This is to be an A4 colour leaflet with a single fold, to be available
    on PDF download on a site which someone must volunteer to host.

    I'll provide any photos with the necessary parental consent, but if we
    want unhelmeted children we'll have to get the photos from elsewhere.

  3. Tom Crispin said:


    OK. Let's move forward on this and be constructive.

    Amen to that!

    Quoted message said:

    Let's use this
    group to write a *cycling to school* fact sheet.

    Perhaps have words with the CTC, since they're working on a lot of
    the basic training materials and this would be an excellent
    addition to them. Aside from possibly some direct input on the
    real meat they'll have more pictures than you can shake a stick at,
    and the latest Cycle specifically notes helmeted and unhelmeted
    pictures are available or are commissioned as needed.

    To some extent the content will depend on the age group, so I think
    that should be specified (older children will probably have more
    experience and/or be covering greater distances). Possibly
    different versions for different age groups.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd suggest the following sub headings:
    *Introduction
    *Selecting the right bike
    *Setting up and maintaining a bike
    *Safe cycling strategy (including headwear)

    In the final sub-heading, I'd quite deliberately not call attention
    to headwear in the title.

    It may well be worth adding sections on cycle security, and one
    about the usefulness of training.

    Quoted message said:

    This is to be an A4 colour leaflet with a single fold, to be available
    on PDF download on a site which someone must volunteer to host.

    I can host it without any great problem.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Tom Crispin said:
    Colin McKenzie said:

    As suggested elsewhere, parents need a factsheet to explain why their
    anxiety is misplaced, so that they can make an informed decision. Most
    still won't, but at least you've done something to counter the myth in
    their minds. Before the course is a better time for this discussion
    than during it.

    OK. Let's move forward on this and be constructive. Let's use this
    group to write a *cycling to school* fact sheet.

    I'd suggest the following sub headings:
    *Introduction


    Doesn't types of bikes come into this?

    Quoted message said:

    *Selecting the right bike


    Surely at this age group a 'getting a bike that fits is more
    appropriate?
    I'd try to get an A B C type approach, possibly using traffic lights.

    Ready:
    Are you ready? (loose flappy clothing, weather, appropriate dress for
    the activity) Is the bike ready?(brakes, tyres, loose bits, lights)

    Steady
    Choosing a safe route. Legal (where can/can't I cycle).

    Go
    Look before you leap. Road positioning. Signalling. Gears.
    More advanced dealing with traffic eg. Not riding up the inside of
    busses/Lorries.
    If in doubt, get off and walk.

    And a half section max on what kinds of cycling to try (weblink to
    Go-ride, cycle trips with parents in

    Quoted message said:

    *Setting up and maintaining a bike
    *Safe cycling strategy (including headwear)

    This is to be an A4 colour leaflet with a single fold, to be available
    on PDF download on a site which someone must volunteer to host.

    I'll provide any photos with the necessary parental consent, but if we
    want unhelmeted children we'll have to get the photos from elsewhere.

    I may well be able to do some pics. I can provide some examples from
    the back of cycle maps that could provide some inspiration. There is
    also a whole load of 'Traffic Club' stuff that pre-primary kids in
    Scotland get sent which could also be useful - covers things like
    looking out for cars reversing out of driveways etc.

    ...d

  5. Peter Clinch said:
    Tom Crispin said:


    OK. Let's move forward on this and be constructive.

    Amen to that!

    Quoted message said:

    Let's use this
    group to write a *cycling to school* fact sheet.

    Perhaps have words with the CTC, since they're working on a lot of
    the basic training materials and this would be an excellent
    addition to them. Aside from possibly some direct input on the
    real meat they'll have more pictures than you can shake a stick at,
    and the latest Cycle specifically notes helmeted and unhelmeted
    pictures are available or are commissioned as needed.

    To some extent the content will depend on the age group, so I think
    that should be specified (older children will probably have more
    experience and/or be covering greater distances). Possibly
    different versions for different age groups.

    The prime audience should not be the children but the parents.
    I'm not quite sure you have grasped the fact that in many cases (most IME)
    comment on helmet use, or lack of it, comes not from the children but from
    the adults.
    Many of these adults you will never have the opportunity to meet :-(

    BTW you are also welcome to attend any of my sessions to experience the
    real world of training and the very difficult situations that instructors
    can find themselves in.

    John B

  6. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:04:35 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quick reply here. More later.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    *Safe cycling strategy (including headwear)

    In the final sub-heading, I'd quite deliberately not call attention
    to headwear in the title.

    That was not my intent, just to show which section we would include
    comments on headwear.

  7. Peter Clinch said:
    Quoted message said:

    Let's use this
    group to write a *cycling to school* fact sheet.

    Perhaps have words with the CTC, since they're working on a lot of
    the basic training materials and this would be an excellent
    addition to them. Aside from possibly some direct input on the
    real meat they'll have more pictures than you can shake a stick at,
    and the latest Cycle specifically notes helmeted and unhelmeted
    pictures are available or are commissioned as needed.

    The price CTC charge for the most basic materials is prohibitive. A
    single National Standards' Certificate is 80p! I print my own, I have
    been meaning to upload it to the Instructors' Forum so its freely
    available.

    Quoted message said:

    To some extent the content will depend on the age group, so I think
    that should be specified (older children will probably have more
    experience and/or be covering greater distances). Possibly
    different versions for different age groups.

    As I only work with the primary age range, it would be directed at
    parents of children at that age.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd suggest the following sub headings:
    *Introduction
    *Selecting the right bike
    *Setting up and maintaining a bike
    *Safe cycling strategy (including headwear)

    It may well be worth adding sections on cycle security, and one
    about the usefulness of training.

    Can those be included in 'safe cycling strategy'?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is to be an A4 colour leaflet with a single fold, to be available
    on PDF download on a site which someone must volunteer to host.

    I can host it without any great problem.

    Great. Perhaps it would be better as a Word doc, so people can edit
    and use to suit their own purposes.

  8. John B said:

    The prime audience should not be the children but the parents.
    I'm not quite sure you have grasped the fact that in many cases (most IME)
    comment on helmet use, or lack of it, comes not from the children but from
    the adults.

    I'd grasped it quite well, actually: different considerations for
    different ages will apply to parents of the children too.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW you are also welcome to attend any of my sessions to experience the
    real world of training and the very difficult situations that instructors
    can find themselves in.

    Thanks for the nice bit of patronising, but I have my own real
    world of training, even if it's not as concentrated or
    child-centred as yours.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Erik Sandblom said:

    I grew up in a culture of poor bike maintenance. It was dangerous. I only
    started taking care of my brakes because my girlfriend told me to.

    Later on at university, I didn't take bike lights seriously until I was
    fined by the police when they had a big crackdown. Until then I saw them as
    a bonus to be used if I remembered them, and if the batteries weren't dead.
    Being fined by the police made me reconsider.

    Maybe I was just lucky. My dad is a civil engineer who understands
    risk. He was rock climbing in the 1940s and 1950s before much of the
    current safety equipment was available.
    I was brought up by my dad explaining the risk involved in things,
    and the correct way to recognise and eliminate or reduce the risk. This
    applied to DIY use of tools, climbing, canoeing whatever. My dad wasn't
    a cyclist but using the same logic I never cycled with unsafe brakes or
    without lights at night.
    So while I personally have found some of the courses I have been
    put on unnecessary perhaps some others do benefit from them.

    Iain

  10. Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    BTW you are also welcome to attend any of my sessions to experience the
    real world of training and the very difficult situations that instructors
    can find themselves in.

    Thanks for the nice bit of patronising,

    Apologies if it seemed that way. It was not meant to be, but your arguments have
    seemed to be on rather black and white lines rather than what may be experienced
    by an instructor.

    Quoted message said:

    but I have my own real
    world of training, even if it's not as concentrated or
    child-centred as yours.

    I'm pleased.

    BTW, FWIW our training is fairly evenly spread over the whole range of ages,
    abilities and client type and is not child-centred at all.

    <thinks> ....perhaps start another thread.

    John B

  11. Peter Clinch said:


    ....I have my own real
    world of training, even if it's not as concentrated or
    child-centred as yours.

    This made me wonder what type of cyclists are taking training. As we have
    several instructors here, who is actually being trained? It might help focus
    where material on matters such as helmets should be focussed.

    For example, last week training included...

    2 child beginners aged 8 years old;
    1 beginner aged 14;
    2 retired ladies wishing to cycle in France for a holiday together;
    A family who wanted to ride trails together;
    A retired lady who wants to buy a bike for a charity ride;
    An adult who wanted training to ride 15 miles each way to work along a major A
    class road;
    A group of children in a youth inclusion project in a 'difficult' area;
    Several mixed groups of 8-11 yr old children whose Mum's wanted them to do
    cycling proficiency as their schools don't provide it.

    When I made the list above the variety surprised me.
    The coming week is much the same.

    It could make a generic factsheet on helmets (and other issues) somewhat
    difficult to produce.

    Who are other instructors being approached by?

    John B

  12. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:30:55 +0100, John B <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    <thinks> ....perhaps start another thread.

    Aren't we going for a urc record thread length? ;-)

  13. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:48:29 +0100, John B <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Who are other instructors being approached by?

    I work almost exclusively with children at the school where I am a
    teacher. A few parents and colleagues are trained with the children.
    The factsheet I have in mind is aimed at parents of primary aged
    children, although it would be of more general use.

  14. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Helmets are a separate issue. It is mandatory for a child to wear a
    helmet when on their bike, and it is my responsibility to enforce that
    rule. For an instructor, when training, not to wear a helmet may be
    seen as hypocritical and send out mixed messages.

    I rather think that it would send a clear and simple message:

    "The people who are making you wear this helmet are wrong, but because you
    are children, you cannot do anything about it. Remember this when you are
    old enough to vote."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.