Road Cycling · Public discussion

Pan shots, bicycle racing and digital cameras

Started by Curtis L. Russell · · Last activity · 27 posts · 823 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 January 2007
Last activity
22 January 2007
Original author
Curtis L. Russell
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
823
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  2. Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring.

    Good to see you're back. We were worried about you:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/5804a8ea5cf7e635

  3. Donald Munro said:
    Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring.

    Good to see you're back. We were worried about you:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/5804a8ea5cf7e635

    Don't much like the implications of that post, but I was busy at work
    and volunteering at a non-profit for a while. I've been reading most
    of the time since, but not posting for the following reasons:

    1) Monumentally disinterested in all things to do with drugs in
    bicycling racing, unless they get tied to major heroin or coke rings

    2) Finding the injustice to people in their early 30s trying to avoid
    a normal job low on my injustice meter

    3)Having not raced in a serious manner since I was riding a new
    Italvega Superspecialle with a 5-block Regina, I don't have anything
    to add to the very few racing threads

    4) Not having a degree in engineering, not much to say in most of the
    other long threads

    5)Realized that semi-long responses that really amount to "I agree
    with the better answer two posts up" aren't really a great use of
    time, mine writing or someone else reading...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  4. Quoted message said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting.

    The "sport" setting on most cameras does what it can to get the
    highest-possible shutter speed. That means opening up the aperture and
    sometimes kicking up the ISO. The idea is to "freeze" a moving object via
    high shutter speed. But when panning, you're following the object, and if
    the intent is to blur the background, while keeping the cyclist clear, it's
    the wrong setting.

    You'll still want to run a wide aperture (to help blur the background) for
    most panning shots, but for a shutter speed, perhaps something around
    1/250th for a normal focal length. If your flash is strong enough, that can
    help as well.

    A really good place to practice would be at the track, if there's one
    nearby.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    The 55-200 is going to be a bit long for most panning shots, unless you're
    trying to get just part of a rider. It's also probably a bit slow (not very
    wide aperture). If you want to experiment with really wide apertures (to
    really blur everything but what's in focus), you might see if there's a
    cheap 50mm 1.8 lens available for the Nikon. Canon has one for their cameras
    that runs less than $100. Yeah, it's cheap plastic, but the optics are
    pretty good.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    Probably more trouble than it's worth. You'd pretty much need to haul a
    laptop with you. Might be best just to get emails and send them to them. Or,
    better yet, just upload them when you get home to a Picasa page, like this-
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles. Then the riders can
    download whatever they want.

    --Mike--
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com

  5. Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    The sports setting probably tries to set as fast a shutter speed
    as it can. If you're panning to follow the racers and blur the
    background, this will work against you. You could try
    setting the camera in shutter priority mode and experimenting
    to find what speed gives the best results when panning, then
    use that. The actual speed to use probably depends on how
    close you are to the racers (and the focal length your lens is at).

    For upload, you could get two SD cards, and have a laptop with
    either an SD slot or a USB SD card reader (inexpensive). Take
    SD card out of the camera, (you can still shoot on the second
    SD card), copy pics off, look at them on the laptop, copy pics
    to USB drive as desired. Using a card reader is generally less
    of a PITA than hooking the camera directly to a computer; it
    also saves camera battery and leaves the camera free for
    shooting. Any old laptop will work for this. I don't know of a
    special purpose device, although there might be one.

    Ben

  6. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting.

    The "sport" setting on most cameras does what it can to get the
    highest-possible shutter speed.

    My advice: the blurred-background shots look goofy: it's a gimmick. The
    best cycling photography freezes the shot.

    Dan

  7. Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    Our local cycling news site does a lot of photos like that
    eg http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=1139

    And they just put them online fast after the race for people to look
    at or save.

    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  8. Don't use those idiot settings (a "Sports" setting).
    Learn how your camera works and shoot sports in the Tv (time value, or
    shutter speed control) mode.

    -Ken

    Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. k.papai said:

    Don't use those idiot settings (a "Sports" setting).
    Learn how your camera works and shoot sports in the Tv (time value, or
    shutter speed control) mode.

    -Ken

    Good to see you posting!

    Steve

    Quoted message said:


    Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...


  10. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Curtis L. Russell said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting. Anyone that has tried successfully panning with a
    digital SLR that has any suggestions? The D40 is an entry-level DSR,
    but has most of the options of digital SLRs. I have a 18-55 and a
    55-200 to work with.

    Turn off the image stabilizer function.
    Set it to shutter speed priority and use
    1/1000th second.

    I like the Panasonic Lumix DMW-CAC1PP.
    It has all the bells and whistles, it has a bog
    standard automatic setting that still uses some user
    options, _and_ it has a `Hey, I'm stupid, I only want
    to take a picture' setting that uses all factory values
    for options you use when handing it to somebody to take
    a picture of you and your girlf^W wife.

    *****

    --
    Michael Press

  11. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Also, my intent is to take the shots and upload them to a photo device
    that would help conserve the camera's battery and also let me pass the
    pictures from the Secure Digital (SD) card, display the pictures and
    pass them to as many other storage media as possible (so the racers
    could take the pictures with them on a USB memory stick or whatever).
    Anyone doing this right now?

    For this I bought an immense memory card for the
    camera, so upload can wait until later. To upload I
    plug the camera into the computer and it shows up as a
    memory device on the desktop of Mac OS X. Also have an
    external power source for the camera when it is
    connected to the computer.

    --
    Michael Press

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been using the up-to-recently warm weather to try the new digital
    SLR taking pan shots of bycycle riders in preparation of taking racing
    shots in the spring. The sports setting on the Nikon D40 seems to be
    an anti-pan setting.

    The "sport" setting on most cameras does what it can to get the
    highest-possible shutter speed.

    My advice: the blurred-background shots look goofy: it's a gimmick. The
    best cycling photography freezes the shot.

    Dan

    But there will be times when there really isn't a choice, typically when
    there's simply not enough light for a fast-enough shutter speed. In some
    cases, you'll need 1/1000th or better to freeze everything, particularly if
    you're shooting perpendicular to the action.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  13. email hidden said:

    For upload, you could get two SD cards, and have a laptop with
    either an SD slot or a USB SD card reader (inexpensive). Take
    SD card out of the camera, (you can still shoot on the second
    SD card), copy pics off, look at them on the laptop, copy pics
    to USB drive as desired. Using a card reader is generally less
    of a PITA than hooking the camera directly to a computer; it
    also saves camera battery and leaves the camera free for
    shooting. Any old laptop will work for this. I don't know of a
    special purpose device, although there might be one.

    I have a tablet PC that coincidentally has as the default card slot
    (other than USB and PC Cards) the same SD slot as the Nikon. Absent
    anything else, I'll haul it around. It has a double battery and should
    last the day - and there is the car-based charger in the Prius.
    However, having done official's paperwork in bad conditions, I would
    prefer a $ 200-300 device, not my primary work tool. Especially if
    other people handle it. Hate to have them stumble on the two GBs of
    Ann Margret and Annette Funicello fakes (from a site posted by ED, two
    levels up and one click over...)

    It would seem to be something that would be useful - somewhat
    hardened, few moving parts, just enough 'system' to move and show
    photos. The displays being sold are almost there, but the best don't
    have much memory (can live with that) and appear to copy from but not
    to the USB sticks.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  14. On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:29:08 GMT, Michael Press <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    For this I bought an immense memory card for the
    camera, so upload can wait until later. To upload I
    plug the camera into the computer and it shows up as a
    memory device on the desktop of Mac OS X. Also have an
    external power source for the camera when it is
    connected to the computer.

    The 2 GB SD is probably a day's worth of shots, but I want the option
    to move the photos while on-site. There IS a value to taking the
    tablet and putting it there - I can lable the directories immediately.
    So maybe I'll take the tablet. It will just cut in half the number of
    people I'm willing to have handle it.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  15. Curtis L. Russell said:

    The 2 GB SD is probably a day's worth of shots, but I want the option
    to move the photos while on-site. There IS a value to taking the
    tablet and putting it there - I can lable the directories immediately.
    So maybe I'll take the tablet. It will just cut in half the number of
    people I'm willing to have handle it.

    If you have an IPod you could also use it for temporary storage - I
    think Apple do make a camera connector. Bit of an expensive solution if
    you don't have a (20 or 40Gb) IPod though.

  16. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Turn off the image stabilizer function.
    Set it to shutter speed priority and use
    1/1000th second.

    I agree that you're generally better turning off IS.

    However, I think your shutter speed is WAAAAY too fast. Sure, at 1/1000
    second everything gets frozen as if dipped in liguid nitrogen. However,
    most of your photos will be not have the "action" of live sports that you're
    trying to capture. I'd set the shutter speed to around 1/100 (or less)
    depending on you ISO, lens and available light. When you get decent at
    panning at that speed, your background and bike wheels will definitely have
    some blurr while the rider remains sharp and in focus. This makes for a
    much more interesting photograph (NOT a snapshot and NOT a
    picture)(semantics) and you get that action and speed effect.

    Please don't think that 1/100 is too slow for a bike race. I have taken too
    many bicycle and car race (moving over 5x faster) photos at almost half that
    speed. I've used a Canon Ftb, AE1 (both are film) or Canon Digital Rebel or
    Canon 30d with good lenses.

    --
    Skuke
    Reverse the domain name to send email

  17. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    skuke said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Turn off the image stabilizer function.
    Set it to shutter speed priority and use
    1/1000th second.

    I agree that you're generally better turning off IS.

    However, I think your shutter speed is WAAAAY too fast. Sure, at 1/1000
    second everything gets frozen as if dipped in liguid nitrogen. However,
    most of your photos will be not have the "action" of live sports that you're
    trying to capture. I'd set the shutter speed to around 1/100 (or less)
    depending on you ISO, lens and available light. When you get decent at
    panning at that speed, your background and bike wheels will definitely have
    some blurr while the rider remains sharp and in focus. This makes for a
    much more interesting photograph (NOT a snapshot and NOT a
    picture)(semantics) and you get that action and speed effect.

    Please don't think that 1/100 is too slow for a bike race. I have taken too
    many bicycle and car race (moving over 5x faster) photos at almost half that
    speed. I've used a Canon Ftb, AE1 (both are film) or Canon Digital Rebel or
    Canon 30d with good lenses.

    But I _like_ the liquid nitrogen look. 🙂

    Then we agree. Image stabilization off, shutter speed
    priority. Ditch the camera's sport program.

    --
    Michael Press

  18. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    skuke said:
    Michael Press said:

    Turn off the image stabilizer function.
    Set it to shutter speed priority and use
    1/1000th second.

    I agree that you're generally better turning off IS.

    However, I think your shutter speed is WAAAAY too fast. Sure, at 1/1000
    second everything gets frozen as if dipped in liguid nitrogen. However,
    most of your photos will be not have the "action" of live sports that you're
    trying to capture. I'd set the shutter speed to around 1/100 (or less)
    depending on you ISO, lens and available light. When you get decent at
    panning at that speed, your background and bike wheels will definitely have
    some blurr while the rider remains sharp and in focus. This makes for a
    much more interesting photograph (NOT a snapshot and NOT a
    picture)(semantics) and you get that action and speed effect.

    Please don't think that 1/100 is too slow for a bike race. I have taken too
    many bicycle and car race (moving over 5x faster) photos at almost half that
    speed. I've used a Canon Ftb, AE1 (both are film) or Canon Digital Rebel or
    Canon 30d with good lenses.

    But I _like_ the liquid nitrogen look. 🙂

    Depending on the lens and distance, with a shutter speed at 1/1000, you'll
    have a wide open aperature and thus your most shallow depth of field.
    That'll give you a soft focus (blurred) background with frozen sharp wheels
    (the only thing in the photo moving at a relatively high speed and in the
    area of focus). ...so unless you're fairly distant from your subject, you
    won't get your liguid Nitrogen look :-p

    Quoted message said:


    Then we agree. Image stabilization off, shutter speed
    priority. Ditch the camera's sport program.

    Yes, shutter speed priority and dump the camera's pre-programmed modes of
    operation.

    Generally, no image stabilization. I think it gonna matter whether the IS
    is built into the lens or the body. Also, IIRC, some of the high end Canons
    can utilize IS while panning (without freaking out). Definitely, the entry
    level cameras have a problem panning with IS turned on. However, the OP has
    a Nikon and I'm not familiar with their system.
    --
    Skuke
    Reverse the domain name to send email

  19. Quoted message said:

    Then we agree. Image stabilization off, shutter speed
    priority. Ditch the camera's sport program.

    Depends upon the IS system. The "L"-series Canon lenses (and perhaps a
    couple of their standard lenses, if I recall correctly) have a two-mode IS,
    one being the standard mode, which stabilizes both horizontal & vertical
    shake, and the other being just for vertical, so you can use it for panning
    without ill effect.

    I've used my brother's 70-200 2.8 L IS lens, and get *extraordinary* results
    with it. You can hand-hold it at a long focal length at relatively-low
    shutter speed. My own lens is a very-capable 70-200 F4 L, without IS. Image
    quality is virtually identical, but the lack of IS limits what I can do with
    it.

    My guess is that many who don't like IS in certain (if not most) conditions
    haven't used it on an "L" series glass.

    But I definitely agree about not using the camera's sport mode program.
    However, when lighting is adequate, I find aperture priority to be my choice
    as often as not (so I can better control depth of field).

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    skuke said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Turn off the image stabilizer function.
    Set it to shutter speed priority and use
    1/1000th second.

    I agree that you're generally better turning off IS.

    However, I think your shutter speed is WAAAAY too fast. Sure, at 1/1000
    second everything gets frozen as if dipped in liguid nitrogen. However,
    most of your photos will be not have the "action" of live sports that
    you're
    trying to capture. I'd set the shutter speed to around 1/100 (or less)
    depending on you ISO, lens and available light. When you get decent at
    panning at that speed, your background and bike wheels will definitely
    have
    some blurr while the rider remains sharp and in focus. This makes for a
    much more interesting photograph (NOT a snapshot and NOT a
    picture)(semantics) and you get that action and speed effect.

    Please don't think that 1/100 is too slow for a bike race. I have taken
    too
    many bicycle and car race (moving over 5x faster) photos at almost half
    that
    speed. I've used a Canon Ftb, AE1 (both are film) or Canon Digital Rebel
    or
    Canon 30d with good lenses.

    But I _like_ the liquid nitrogen look. 🙂

    Then we agree. Image stabilization off, shutter speed
    priority. Ditch the camera's sport program.

    --
    Michael Press

  20. Mike Jacoubowsky said:


    I've used my brother's 70-200 2.8 L IS lens, and get *extraordinary* results
    with it. You can hand-hold it at a long focal length at relatively-low
    shutter speed. My own lens is a very-capable 70-200 F4 L, without IS. Image
    quality is virtually identical, but the lack of IS limits what I can do with
    it.

    ....and the fact that you can't open it bigger than F4 :-)

    Quoted message said:

    However, when lighting is adequate, I find aperture priority to be my choice
    as often as not (so I can better control depth of field).

    Interesting. I started shooting with the Canon Ftb way back in the early
    70s. There was not aperture priority on that camera or the AE1. I just
    learned DoF by playing with shutter speeds and allowing the camera to adjust
    the aperture. I have a good feel for shutter speeds and what I can
    accomplish in regards to DoF. Some of my friends who learned to shoot later
    cameras do as you do. They can rattle off F-stop values and have a good
    feel for what will happen. I haven't a clue! Well, I have a basic clue,
    but not in terms of absolute numbers ...I guess because I never really paid
    attention to what the F-stop was at any given shutter or film speed or lens
    length and distance.

    --
    Skuke
    Reverse the domain name to send email

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.