Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Paint or strip your bike inexpensively

Started by jose1 · · Last activity · 19 posts · 1,057 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 December 2004
Last activity
3 January 2005
Original author
jose1
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,057
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike inexpensively with professional results?

  2. Yes!

    Lewis.

    *******

  3. Sure, why not? John

  4. Definitely..

    I've stripped my aluminum mtb before and it only took a few days including
    the polishing afterwards. But, the guy at the local sign shop told me that
    painting aluminum is a [censored].. it has to go through a lot of processes to
    guarantee that the paint will stick. Steel I guess is a lot easier to
    paint...

    Mike
    http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
    inexpensively with professional results?

    --
    jose1

  5. Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it sound. Once you have stripped the bike. Which I reccomend using a product called Tal-Strip. They use it in the auto and aviation industry. It takes paint off in 15 to 30 minutes without harming the metal.

    First you have to clean and condition the frame with Dupont metal conditioner 5717s. You have to dilute it with water. What it does is cleans off all of the impurities on the frame like grease and so forth.

    Second, you have to dry the frame off. Then you have to paint it with a sandable "etching primer". The etching primer microscopically bites into the metal causing a bond between the primer and frame. Other primers do not have this biting action. Then you can put your base coat (color) on.

    I talked to a few pro painters before I started doing it myself.
    I 've done it a couple of times already on bike frames and motorcycle frames. I have also set my self up with professional painting tools inexspensively. So now I can use automotive paint. I was posting information on where to purchase the tools and the steps on how to paint, before the power went out in my house. I will try to do this a soon as possible. I will tell you though it is not hard if you follow the steps. It should only take a day.

  6. Yeah.. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there definitely is some extra
    steps. Infact, he mentioned all the steps you mentioned plus a few other
    optional ones he mentioned that he always does when painting aluminum as
    well. I think as soon as i buy my new bike, the first thing I'm going to do
    is design a paint job for it and paint it up.

    Mike

    "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it sound. Once you have stripped the
    bike. Which I reccomend using a product called *Tal-Strip*. They use
    it in the auto and aviation industry. It takes paint off in 15 to 30
    minutes without harming the metal.

    *First* you have to clean and condition the frame with *Dupont metal
    conditioner 5717s. *You have to dilute it with water. What it does is
    cleans off all of the impurities on the frame like grease and so forth.

    *Second, *you have to dry the frame off. Then you have to paint it
    with a sandable *"etching primer"*. The etching primer microscopically
    bites into the metal causing a bond between the primer and frame. Other
    primers do not have this biting action. Then you can put your base
    coat (color) on.

    I talked to a few pro painters before I started doing it myself.
    I 've done it a couple of times already on bike frames and motorcycle
    frames. I have also set my self up with professional painting tools
    inexspensively. So now I can use automotive paint. I was posting
    information on where to purchase the tools and the steps on how to
    paint, before the power went out in my house. I will try to do this a
    soon as possible. I will tell you though it is not hard if you follow
    the steps. It should only take a day.

    --
    jose1

  7. [quote="Mike Beauchamp"]Yeah.. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there definitely is some extra
    steps. Infact, he mentioned all the steps you mentioned plus a few other
    optional ones he mentioned that he always does when painting aluminum as
    well. I think as soon as i buy my new bike, the first thing I'm going to do
    is design a paint job for it and paint it up.

    Mike

    "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it sound. Once you have stripped the
    bike. Which I reccomend using a product called *Tal-Strip*. They use
    it in the auto and aviation industry. It takes paint off in 15 to 30
    minutes without harming the metal.

    *First* you have to clean and condition the frame with *Dupont metal
    conditioner 5717s. *You have to dilute it with water. What it does is
    cleans off all of the impurities on the frame like grease and so forth.

    *Second, *you have to dry the frame off. Then you have to paint it
    with a sandable *"etching primer"*. The etching primer microscopically
    bites into the metal causing a bond between the primer and frame. Other
    primers do not have this biting action. Then you can put your base
    coat (color) on.

    I talked to a few pro painters before I started doing it myself.
    I 've done it a couple of times already on bike frames and motorcycle
    frames. I have also set my self up with professional painting tools
    inexspensively. So now I can use automotive paint. I was posting
    information on where to purchase the tools and the steps on how to
    paint, before the power went out in my house. I will try to do this a
    soon as possible. I will tell you though it is not hard if you follow
    the steps. It should only take a day.

    --
    jose1
    [jose1] I just posted my full process for painting an aluminum frame and where to get everything you need. Check it out.

  8. jose1 said:

    Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
    inexpensively with professional results?

    Yes! Yes? So what's your advice?

  9. Quoted message said:

    "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    stripped the bike. Which I reccomend using a product called *Tal-Strip*


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    condition the frame with *Dupont metal conditioner 5717s.


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dry the frame off. Then you have to paint itwith a sandable *"etching primer"


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    put your base coat (color) on.

    Mike Beauchamp wrote:
    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    I think as soon as i buy my new bike, the first thing I'm


    going to do

    Quoted message said:

    is design a paint job for it and paint it up.

    As with auto and motorcycle paint, if you have a basically
    sound substrate you're usually better off sanding out the
    damaged areas, wetsanding the rest and painting over the
    factory finish. Most bike manufacturers paint clean
    prepared metal in a controlled environment and get better
    primer-to-metal adhesion than you can achieve at home.
    Moreover, wetsanding an existing finish will save you
    several coats and several sanding sessions for any given
    level of smoothness.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  10. Yes, I understand. I have a 1972 Land Rover. The body is made of aluminium (!)
    in an alloy called Birmingbright. The paint has worn off in places and there
    is a yellow "primer' showing. In places that primer is also worn through to
    the metal. No rust :-), but then who would expect it.

    The factory manual speaks about an acid-based primer/etch to spray on before
    painting. That manual was printed in 1972 so i suppose the technology for
    aluminium painting has changed because of environmental reasons. I have seen
    land rovers repainted on the aluminium, but they seem to peel that paint. My
    LR has no paint peeling anywhere - the primer/etch must be doing it's job
    after 32 years.

    Ken
    Winnipeg, Canada

    Mike Beauchamp said:

    Definitely..

    I've stripped my aluminum mtb before and it only took a few days including
    the polishing afterwards. But, the guy at the local sign shop told me that
    painting aluminum is a [censored].. it has to go through a lot of processes to
    guarantee that the paint will stick. Steel I guess is a lot easier to
    paint...

    Mike
    http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
    inexpensively with professional results?

    --
    jose1

  11. quote='Kyle.B.H.'jose1 said:

    Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
    inexpensively with professional results?

    Yes! Yes? So what's your advice?[/QUOTE]
    I placed a thread with ful instructuions for stripping and painting your frame in rec.bicycles.tech area. check it out it 8 spaces down from the top of page. If you have any questions contact me.

  12. [email hidden said:

    "]Sure, why not? John


    I posted full instructions on how to strip and paint your frame in rec.bicycles.tech area. It's under jose1 8 spaces from the top of the page.

  13. [email hidden said:

    "]Yes!

    Lewis.

    *******


    Check out rec.bicylces.tech area I posted full instructions there. It's under Jose1

  14. quote='Kyle.B.H.'jose1 said:

    Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
    inexpensively with professional results?

    Yes! Yes? So what's your advice?[/QUOTE] I placed full instructions in the rec.bicycles.tech forum under jose1 "instructions for painting your frame". One of the readers brought up a good point that I did not talk about thoroughly. Using protective gear when you paint. Check out my response to that thread.

    If you are going to paint your frame and you have further questions contact me I will set you up with anything you need. I do suggest that you do a little reading on your own. Check out books By Jon Kosmoski, on custom painting techniques. He's been in the business for 30 years plus.

  15. A Muzi said:

    > "jose1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    news:[email hidden]...


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    stripped the bike. Which I reccomend using a product called *Tal-Strip*


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    condition the frame with *Dupont metal conditioner 5717s.


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dry the frame off. Then you have to paint itwith a sandable *"etching primer"


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    put your base coat (color) on.

    Mike Beauchamp wrote:
    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    I think as soon as i buy my new bike, the first thing I'm


    going to do

    Quoted message said:

    is design a paint job for it and paint it up.

    As with auto and motorcycle paint, if you have a basically
    sound substrate you're usually better off sanding out the
    damaged areas, wetsanding the rest and painting over the
    factory finish. Most bike manufacturers paint clean
    prepared metal in a controlled environment and get better
    primer-to-metal adhesion than you can achieve at home.
    Moreover, wetsanding an existing finish will save you
    several coats and several sanding sessions for any given
    level of smoothness.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971


    Thats somewhat true. Automakers have electronic means of coating thier automobiles with with primer. A person painting at home could never dream of coming close to that same coating. However, with a bike manafactuer I wouldn't think there methods of primering or base coating are that much different from what one could do at home. If you by good etching primer that would have to spray through a gun you should be able to achieve the same quality coat as the pros do.

  16. [email hidden] (jose1) Wrote much more but
    I edited it to the essentials:

    Quoted message said:

    Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it
    sound. Once you have stripped the bike.
    Which I recommend using a product
    called *Tal-Strip*. They use it in the auto
    and aviation industry. It takes paint off in
    15 to 30 minutes without harming the
    metal.

    Fine, I understand why you wouldn't want to use certain chemicals which
    may adversely affect the metal. So why do you subscribe to using a
    primer that partially dissolves it?

    Quoted message said:

    *Second, *you have to dry the frame off.
    Then you have to paint it with a sandable
    *"etching primer"*. The etching primer
    microscopically bites into the metal
    causing a bond between the primer and
    frame. Other primers do not have this
    biting action. Then you can put your base
    coat (color) on.

    Did I miss something? I'm not a metallurgist or professional painter.
    But i would think that a substance that is designed to etch (soften,
    dissolve) metal would be far worse than one that is only designed to act
    on the old paint!

    An auto body is not a major structural
    component like a bicycle frame is.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  17. Chris Zacho The Wheelman said:

    [email hidden] (jose1) Wrote much more but
    I edited it to the essentials:

    Quoted message said:

    Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it
    sound. Once you have stripped the bike.
    Which I recommend using a product
    called *Tal-Strip*. They use it in the auto
    and aviation industry. It takes paint off in
    15 to 30 minutes without harming the
    metal.

    Fine, I understand why you wouldn't want to use certain chemicals which
    may adversely affect the metal. So why do you subscribe to using a
    primer that partially dissolves it?

    Quoted message said:

    *Second, *you have to dry the frame off.
    Then you have to paint it with a sandable
    *"etching primer"*. The etching primer
    microscopically bites into the metal
    causing a bond between the primer and
    frame. Other primers do not have this
    biting action. Then you can put your base
    coat (color) on.

    Did I miss something? I'm not a metallurgist or professional painter.
    But i would think that a substance that is designed to etch (soften,
    dissolve) metal would be far worse than one that is only designed to act
    on the old paint!

    An auto body is not a major structural
    component like a bicycle frame is....

    What primers do aircraft painter’s use on aluminium (where the
    structural integrity of the skin is often of importance)?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

  18. search to: DIY paint removal
    in bike tech

  19. Chris Zacho The Wheelman said:

    [email hidden] (jose1) Wrote much more but
    I edited it to the essentials:

    Quoted message said:

    Mike, it's not as hard as he makes it
    sound. Once you have stripped the bike.
    Which I recommend using a product
    called *Tal-Strip*. They use it in the auto
    and aviation industry. It takes paint off in
    15 to 30 minutes without harming the
    metal.

    Fine, I understand why you wouldn't want to use certain chemicals which
    may adversely affect the metal. So why do you subscribe to using a
    primer that partially dissolves it?

    Quoted message said:

    *Second, *you have to dry the frame off.
    Then you have to paint it with a sandable
    *"etching primer"*. The etching primer
    microscopically bites into the metal
    causing a bond between the primer and
    frame. Other primers do not have this
    biting action. Then you can put your base
    coat (color) on.

    Did I miss something? I'm not a metallurgist or professional painter.
    But i would think that a substance that is designed to etch (soften,
    dissolve) metal would be far worse than one that is only designed to act
    on the old paint!

    An auto body is not a major structural
    component like a bicycle frame is.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner


    Honestly, you have a point. However this is how it's been done for along time now. The primer doen't cause the damage you might think. Otherwise we would have planes with sagging air frames falling out of the sky.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.