General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT - Personal Whine

Started by Little Malice · · Last activity · 81 posts · 2,420 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 November 2007
Last activity
5 December 2007
Original author
Little Malice
Posts
81
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,420
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 81
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:22:15 -0800 (PST), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    That's about the only commendable thing I've been able to see about
    Jill, from what she posts here. She may be a drunk, self-absorbed
    blithering idiot, but at least she was smart enough not to have kids.

    It wasn't "smarts" that encouraged Jill not have children.
    They're just plain "icky" and a PITA according to her. She did
    it out of selfishness.

    -sw

  2. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:57:28 GMT, [email hidden] (Little
    Malice) fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:

    Foo, I got laid off today. Business (food production) is very slow
    and this is the 3rd round of layoffs. Oh well, at least DH still has
    *his* job there. And (ObFood?) he gets to make dinner tonight so I can
    sit around feeling sorry for myself, so there...

    I'm so sorry, Jani! What lousy timing, the b*stards!

    I've only been fired once in my life - was not thrilled with the law
    firm I had been working for, so my only regret was when I checked my
    bank account balance. My mother tried to give me a pep talk when I was
    grousing about having to do the resume/interview rounds. She said,
    "You were looking for a job when you found that one." And the job I
    eventually got was so *much* better that I almost felt like writing
    the old law firm a thank you note.

    I will hold good thoughts and send you best wishes.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

  3. "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:22:15 -0800 (PST), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    That's about the only commendable thing I've been able to see about
    Jill, from what she posts here. She may be a drunk, self-absorbed
    blithering idiot, but at least she was smart enough not to have kids.

    It wasn't "smarts" that encouraged Jill not have children.
    They're just plain "icky" and a PITA according to her. She did
    it out of selfishness.

    Well, let's just let the end justify the means.

  4. Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Dave Bugg said:

    Little Malice wrote:
    > Foo, I got laid off today. Business (food production) is very slow
    > and this is the 3rd round of layoffs. Oh well, at least DH still has
    > *his* job there. And (ObFood?) he gets to make dinner tonight so I
    > can sit around feeling sorry for myself, so there...

    What a bummer. Hopefully your unemployment insurance will help a bit
    until you can find something else. If I could, I'd give you a great,
    big box of dark chocolates to help mellow yer mood :-)

    It's too bad unemployment insurance only lasts about 6 weeks.

    I think she lives in Seattle. I lived there a long time ago. I thought
    it was more like 6 months. And then they just extended it. There were
    people collecting for a couple of years. Still, it is a state benefit
    so it varies by state in the US. Don't know about the rest of the world.

    Quoted message said:

    And it's a
    pittance compared to what you earned.

    Pays for the food and beer. Maybe even the rent.

    Quoted message said:

    But I couldn't get any help at all for medical and no help to pay my other
    bills. Why? Because I don't have children or grandchildren. Shouldn't one
    get credit for not popping out kid after kid after kid?

    Here in California, there is no welfare for adults. It's for the kids.
    They cost money. I've had them (still have three, but they are adults
    with jobs).

    People with little kids either stay home and take care of them, or if
    they get a job, they have to pay childcare. Welfare isn't the free ride
    that some people think it is.

    Quoted message said:

    If you've paid into the system I say certainly reap what you've sowed if you
    need to. But don't continue to allow multi-generations to abuse it. (This
    will be a very unpopular opinion.)

    It doesn't sit well with me. These programs are safety nets. There are
    people who need this through no fault of their own. There are also
    people who abuse them. You and I can tell the difference, but darned if
    I could come up with a foolproof rule that could be written down to tell
    the difference.

    that's the thing. any system like this will have abusers, but i think
    that's preferable to letting people starve. it's not like people who
    have money are always scrupulous about following the rules.

    your pal,
    blake

  5. Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:46:19 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bills. Why? Because I don't have children or grandchildren. Shouldn't one

    Quoted message said:

    no one deserves government benefits but oneself? i would say that's a
    very popular opinion.

    but, by all means pat yourself on the back for not having children and
    bucking popular opinion.

    Some people aren't meant to have children. I feel very strongly that I
    won't encourage these people to have children. Children are sometimes
    very difficult. I should know, I've had three. It's not like there
    aren't enough. Overpopulation is a problem in many countries.

    i favor renting before you buy.

    your pal,
    blake

  6. On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 03:02:53 GMT, Sqwertz <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:22:15 -0800 (PST), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    That's about the only commendable thing I've been able to see about
    Jill, from what she posts here. She may be a drunk, self-absorbed
    blithering idiot, but at least she was smart enough not to have kids.

    It wasn't "smarts" that encouraged Jill not have children.
    They're just plain "icky" and a PITA according to her. She did
    it out of selfishness.

    -sw

    in some cases, selfishness is underrated.

    your pal,
    blake

  7. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't bother me at all, as I enjoy my job and the people I
    work with.

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what I
    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.

  8. Terry Pulliam Burd said:

    And the job I
    eventually got was so *much* better that I almost felt like writing
    the old law firm a thank you note.

    Ain't that the truth? It goes to prove the old adage "When a door
    closes, a window opens".

    --
    See return address to reply by email
    remove the smiley face first

  9. Oh pshaw, on Sun 02 Dec 2007 09:57:23a, Edwin Pawlowski meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't bother me at all, as I enjoy my job and the people I
    work with.

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what


    I

    Quoted message said:

    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.

    My plans, too, Ed.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Date: Sunday, Dec(XII) 02(II),2007(MMVII)

    *******************************************
    Today is: First Sunday of Advent
    Countdown 'til Christmas
    3wks 14hrs
    *******************************************
    Aborton kills, but so does McDonalds.
    *******************************************

  10. "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't bother me at all, as I enjoy my job and the people I
    work with.

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what I
    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.

    I would not go that far--for me it is still work--but I also love my job. I
    have a wonderful boss. 🙂

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:
    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:46:19 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    >bills. Why? Because I don't have children or grandchildren. Shouldn't
    >one

    Quoted message said:

    no one deserves government benefits but oneself? i would say that's a
    very popular opinion.

    but, by all means pat yourself on the back for not having children and
    bucking popular opinion.

    Some people aren't meant to have children. I feel very strongly that I
    won't encourage these people to have children. Children are sometimes
    very difficult. I should know, I've had three. It's not like there
    aren't enough. Overpopulation is a problem in many countries.

    i favor renting before you buy.

    I did that. I have three younger cousins.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email hidden]

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    that's the thing. any system like this will have abusers, but i think
    that's preferable to letting people starve. it's not like people who
    have money are always scrupulous about following the rules.

    That's not true. First they make the rules, and then they follow them.
    Or else they finance the politicians to make the rules that they want.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email hidden]

  13. "Miche" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, sf wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Well in my case, it was talking to the users to find out how they were
    using the system (sounds glib but more complicated than it sounds),
    finding out what changes they wanted made to the software, what impact
    it would have on the procedures, or whether we should change the
    procedures instead. Then if it was agreed that the software should be
    changed, it involved consulting with the technical types about how to
    best make the changes, then write a spec to get the changes made. Once
    the software changes were done, I'd test them and then get the users to
    test them to make sure they were right, or give feedback for what still
    needed to be done. Once it was all right and the users concerned had
    agreed on that, we'd release it to production.

    Hey, that was my job except I was the technical person, too.

    nancy

  14. Dan Abel <[email hidden]> scripsit in news:dabel-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Overpopulation is a problem in many countries.

    If wealth and food were distributed properly according to need,
    there would not be an "overpopulation" problem. But you already
    knew that, didn't you.

  15. cybercat snarls:

    Quoted message said:

    "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:22:15 -0800 (PST), [email hidden]
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's about the only commendable thing I've been able to see about
    Jill, from what she posts here. She may be a drunk, self-absorbed
    blithering idiot, but at least she was smart enough not to have kids.

    Quoted message said:

    It wasn't "smarts" that encouraged Jill not have children.
    They're just plain "icky" and a PITA according to her. She did
    it out of selfishness.

    Well, let's just let the end justify the means.

    You been spayed, cyberpussy...???

    --
    Best
    Greg

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    "Miche" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, sf wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Well in my case, it was talking to the users to find out how they were
    using the system (sounds glib but more complicated than it sounds),
    finding out what changes they wanted made to the software, what impact
    it would have on the procedures, or whether we should change the
    procedures instead. Then if it was agreed that the software should be
    changed, it involved consulting with the technical types about how to
    best make the changes, then write a spec to get the changes made. Once
    the software changes were done, I'd test them and then get the users to
    test them to make sure they were right, or give feedback for what still
    needed to be done. Once it was all right and the users concerned had
    agreed on that, we'd release it to production.

    Hey, that was my job except I was the technical person, too.

    I also did front-line tech support.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  17. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I would not go that far--for me it is still work--but I also love my job.
    I have a wonderful boss. 🙂

    I like a day with challenges. At the end of the day, if you've solved them
    all, you have a feeling of satisfaction. Problems come from customers,
    truckers, the weather, a machine that breaks, etc.

    I will say that my situation is unique. I have no set hours, preferring 7
    to 4 right now. I can come and go during the day if I want to run to the
    store, get an oil change, or run to the bank. If I'm getting stiff from
    sitting at my desk, I walk out in the shop to see what is going on. If I'm
    tired from too much time in the shop, I just go back to my desk. Break time
    is when I'm ready to take a break and for as long as I want. Lunch is
    usually at noon with one of my co-workers. We've been eating together for
    many years. I've been there eighteen years, she's been with us for 16
    years. In all those years, the owners have never questioned us about what
    we did during the day. We just do what needs to be done.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  18. "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't bother me at all, as I enjoy my job and the people I
    work with.

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what I
    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.


    That sounds very silly to me. I always do what I like for work. I think
    I'd be poor at doing something I didn't like to do. There may be parts I
    would prefer someone else do, but that's true of every part of life.
    --
    http://www.judithgreenwood.com

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giusi said:

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what I
    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.


    That sounds very silly to me. I always do what I like for work. I think
    I'd be poor at doing something I didn't like to do. There may be parts I
    would prefer someone else do, but that's true of every part of life.

    I've changed diapers. A whole lot. For many years. That doesn't
    define my life. Having children means changing diapers. That isn't why
    you have them. Same thing with work. There are things that need to get
    done. You do them. That isn't why you do the job.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email hidden]

  20. Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giusi said:

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Very few people can say that. I too, enjoy my job, the people, and what I
    do. I have no plans to retire as long as I can get there. Work is
    something laborious; if you like what you do it is not work.


    That sounds very silly to me. I always do what I like for work. I think
    I'd be poor at doing something I didn't like to do. There may be parts I
    would prefer someone else do, but that's true of every part of life.

    I've changed diapers. A whole lot. For many years. That doesn't
    define my life. Having children means changing diapers. That isn't why
    you have them. Same thing with work. There are things that need to get
    done. You do them. That isn't why you do the job.

    Of course, if you actually *like* changing diapers, the world is your
    oyster.

    --
    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.