Doug Kanter said:"jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Red Lobsters existed when you were in college? <drum crash>
<now looking for a piece of furniture to hide behind>
You can run, but you can't hide! LOL This was back in the day when
the female servers had to wear blue "sailor" dresses with the
navy-style square
white collar and a red bow tie.
Oooh.....kinky.
Yeah, we were all looking hot (and definitely feeling that way!) in our blue
polyester double-knit dresses!
Quoted message said:Now, I wonder when this awful thing became acceptable to bad
restaurant managers everywhere: I'm at a table with another man and
two women. The server comes over and says, "Hi! My name's Kari <or
whatever> and I'll be your server tonight. Can I bring you guys a
drink to start with?"
First of all, who gives a phuque what her name is. We're not gonna be
taking warm showers together, are we? But even more important, what's
with "guys"? Do women need to write "I am not a guy" on their
foreheads before entering a restaurant??? Breasts, hairstyle and
skirts aren't enough of a hint?
It was company policy to introduce yourself. I'm sure that's true in most
chain restaurants. I don't recall ever saying "Can I bring you *guys*"...
it was, "Would you like something from the bar tonight?" But I definitely
had to introduce myself. We didn't have "specials" so I didn't have to deal
with reciting a litany of items which, of course, no one ever pays attention
to. The only side dish choices were "baked potato, french fries or rice?"
and "coleslaw, salad or applesauce?" (Don't ask me why applesauce.) They
didn't do soups. They didn't do steamed veggies. I hope at least that much
has changed.
There are a couple of things I learned there that I notice isn't done in
most restaurants and they probably don't do them at Red Lobster anymore,
either. You don't reach over a table with a pot of hot coffee to provide
refills. You pick up the cup, turn away from the table and pour. Imagine
if the handle on the pot broke... we're talking the McD's hot coffee lawsuit
to the *extreme*! (It became a habit to do this with iced tea and water
refills, too.) And milk, if it's served in those little cartons (which is
tacky but hey, it happens): you fill a glass with ice. Put an empty glass
on your tray along with the carton of milk. Pour the ice into the empty
glass and then pour the milk into the chilled glass.
Just some tips (ha ha!) for those servers out there 🙂
Jill