UK and Europe · Public discussion

OT, F1 in the smoke

Started by MartinM · · Last activity · 12 posts · 365 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 July 2004
Last activity
8 July 2004
Original author
MartinM
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
365
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

  2. "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    Just back at 9am? I was back home by 8.30pm last night.

    Went myself too ... didn't take my bike. The numbers of people trying to
    push their bikes up Regents Street amazed me. Proves that common sense is
    not that common. Did a spot of wall climbing myself. Got a bit of a view.

  3. mae <[email hidden]> wedi ysgrifennu:

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    Don't know about Paris 'cos I've never bothered with it, but there were an
    estimated 600,000 on the 14km climb up to L'Alpe d'Huez last year, with
    predictions of a similar attendance this year.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    and benefit.

  4. elyob said:

    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get
    a glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars
    while a friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    Just back at 9am? I was back home by 8.30pm last night.

    Went myself too ... didn't take my bike. The numbers of people trying
    to push their bikes up Regents Street amazed me. Proves that common
    sense is not that common. Did a spot of wall climbing myself. Got a
    bit of a view.

    Went (bikeless) as well. Gave up after the second car went through as I saw
    none of it at all, and only got a brief glimpse of sidepod of the Jordan.
    Only this morning did I discover that they'd set up a giant screen in
    Piccadilly, by which means colleague Rob (who gave up on live viewing even
    before I did) said he had an excellent view of the proceedings.

    Bah!

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================

  5. MartinM said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    I got there by bike at around 6.50pm. Absolutely no chance of seeing a
    glimpse of any cars at all, except via a big screen. But the sound was
    good!

    Saw a few people being battered by police (quite literally) for climbing
    up lamp posts and buildings.

    The last big cycle race I saw in London (Milk Race? Kellogs?) only got a
    tiny fraction of the crowd -- mostly just one or two rows of people deep,
    if that. F1 attracts dozens of rows, and the vehicles are so muh nearer
    the ground as well! Silly.

    ~PB

  6. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get
    a glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars
    while a friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    Just back at 9am? I was back home by 8.30pm last night.

    Went myself too ... didn't take my bike. The numbers of people trying
    to push their bikes up Regents Street amazed me. Proves that common
    sense is not that common. Did a spot of wall climbing myself. Got a
    bit of a view.

    Went (bikeless) as well. Gave up after the second car went through as I


    saw

    Quoted message said:

    none of it at all, and only got a brief glimpse of sidepod of the Jordan.
    Only this morning did I discover that they'd set up a giant screen in
    Piccadilly, by which means colleague Rob (who gave up on live viewing even
    before I did) said he had an excellent view of the proceedings.

    Bah!

    I was on Swallow St/Regent St and got an okay view, but not a great one. Saw
    the cars enough though. Loads of people gave up after second car. I decided
    to take a walk after third, and found that the noise was good enough. Loads
    of angry shopkeepers, however. Can't see the point of a big screen, would
    have watched it at home instead.

  7. "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    I wuz there too - the route went right across my normal route home from work
    (up Piccadilly and into Shaftesbury Ave). I figured I may as well take the
    opportunity to see the cars, but no chance 🙁. I watched some of it from a
    distance on a big screen in Picadilly, and heard some of it from a different
    place, but didn't find anywhere to get sound and vision together. Too bad.
    I have to admit part of me is a petrolhead and loves motor racing.

    Rich

  8. "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:40ebe7ae$0
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I have to admit part of me is a petrolhead and loves motor racing.

    Burn the heretic!!!!!

    ;-)

  9. If you want to get a good look at the cars....go to Silverstone on a test
    day. The teams are far less paranoid about keeping their garage doors shut
    than at race day.

    "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    I wuz there too - the route went right across my normal route home from


    work

    Quoted message said:

    (up Piccadilly and into Shaftesbury Ave). I figured I may as well take


    the

    Quoted message said:

    opportunity to see the cars, but no chance 🙁. I watched some of it from


    a

    Quoted message said:

    distance on a big screen in Picadilly, and heard some of it from a


    different

    Quoted message said:

    place, but didn't find anywhere to get sound and vision together. Too


    bad.

    Quoted message said:

    I have to admit part of me is a petrolhead and loves motor racing.

    Rich

  10. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get
    a glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars
    while a friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    Just back at 9am? I was back home by 8.30pm last night.

    Went myself too ... didn't take my bike. The numbers of people trying
    to push their bikes up Regents Street amazed me. Proves that common
    sense is not that common. Did a spot of wall climbing myself. Got a
    bit of a view.

    Went (bikeless) as well. Gave up after the second car went through as I saw
    none of it at all, and only got a brief glimpse of sidepod of the Jordan.
    Only this morning did I discover that they'd set up a giant screen in
    Piccadilly, by which means colleague Rob (who gave up on live viewing even
    before I did) said he had an excellent view of the proceedings.

    I saw that screen, but thought why even bother going if you have to
    see it on a screen, although the view would have been a lot better
    than the fleeting glimpse I got from top of the bars. Godd noise
    though.

  11. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    MartinM said:

    Just returned from a ridiculously crowded West End all trying to get a
    glimpse of the cars. The bike came in handy (stood on the bars while a
    friend held the brakes). Probably a good demonstration of how
    impractical it would be to hold the British Grand prix there, but I
    wonder if there would be as many (estimated 500,000) for the Tour.
    Anyone know how many go to Paris for the final stage?

    I got there by bike at around 6.50pm. Absolutely no chance of seeing a
    glimpse of any cars at all, except via a big screen. But the sound was
    good!

    Saw a few people being battered by police (quite literally) for climbing
    up lamp posts and buildings.

    The last big cycle race I saw in London (Milk Race? Kellogs?) only got a
    tiny fraction of the crowd -- mostly just one or two rows of people deep,
    if that. F1 attracts dozens of rows, and the vehicles are so muh nearer
    the ground as well! Silly.

    Perhaps they should charge punters £110 a ticket to watch the Tour of
    Britain like for the GP ;-)

  12. MartinM nearly said:

    Good noise though.

    Nah. They used to sound much better in the Old Days when Ferraris had
    Proper, Stan-Inspired V12s. I got a better noise fix from a gentleman
    taking his 360 Spyder to about 8000 rpm while overtaking me on the way
    home...

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.