Road Cycling · Public discussion

OT: Clif bars -- trying to clone, need your taste buds' help

Started by Sandy Parker · · Last activity · 9 posts · 755 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
17 March 2004
Last activity
21 March 2004
Original author
Sandy Parker
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
755
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I am thinking about cloning Clif Bars, Peanut Toffee Buzz
    primarily.

    If successful, I'll post the recipe. I know two families who
    spend about three hundred dollars a year on these bars, and
    the homebrew version would cost much less. I love 'em
    myself, and at a buck apiece at WalMart, they add up over
    time. I'm surprised Todd Wilbur or other professional recipe
    cloner hasn't cracked it.

    There is a predominant flavoring in Clif Bars, and for those
    of you who eat them regularly, what do you think it is? To
    my palate, it's not toffee, nor butterscotch, nor molasses,
    nor caramel, nor any of the sweet ingredients listed. It may
    be a result of toasting the "Soy Rice Crisps."

    But if you eat Clif Bars and like them, what IS this
    predominant flavor??

    Thanks for reading this.

    Sandy Parker

  2. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:35:20 -0500, Sandy Parker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I am thinking about cloning Clif Bars, Peanut Toffee Buzz
    primarily.

    I can't help with your specific questions, but last year, I
    searched a lot and found loads of recipes. I'm pretty sure
    that some of them were for Clif clones. groups.google.com
    produced lots of results.

    I've still got a bunch of bars from whatever recipe I _did_
    use, wrapped in wax paper, in the back of the fridge. I
    never did eat many of them...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:16:19 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Sandy Parker said:

    I am thinking about cloning Clif Bars, Peanut Toffee Buzz
    primarily.

    I can't help with your specific questions, but last year, I
    searched a lot and found loads of recipes. I'm pretty sure
    that some of them were for Clif clones. groups.google.com
    produced lots of results.

    I've still got a bunch of bars from whatever recipe I _did_
    use, wrapped in wax paper, in the back of the fridge. I
    never did eat many of them...

    Thanks, Rick. I wish it were that easy. There are 'powerbar'
    and 'energy bar' recipes out there, but none for Clif,
    unfortunately, and of those that have been posted or on the
    Web, none are close at all. Most are no better-tasting than
    Jobst's 'recipe' using cardboard dipped in molasses, unless
    they are loaded with butter or margarine. ; )

    Thanks anyway.

    Sandy

  4. I prefer the apricot myself. I tend to stay away from
    "flavors" with 60's hippie type names.

    Quoted message said:

    Peanut toffee buzz?

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner geocities.comczcorner

  5. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:35:20 -0500, Sandy Parker <[email hidden]> from

    url='http://extra.newsguy.com/'http://extra.newsguy.com/url said:

    Hi,

    I am thinking about cloning Clif Bars, Peanut Toffee Buzz
    primarily.

    If you haven't already got a base recipe, you might want to
    start with something called "Logan Bread." It's a great
    energy food for long rides. There are various recipes for it
    around the 'net. Here's one I like:

    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-
    purpose flour 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
    3/4 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon
    salt 2 eggs
    4/2 cup honey
    5/4 cup molasses 1 cup applesauce
    6/2 cup vegetable oil 1 cup raisins
    7/3 cup sunflower seeds

    Directions

    1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
    two 9 inch square baking pans.

    2 In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour,
    white flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In
    a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, honey, molasses,
    applesauce, and vegetable oil. Pour the wet ingredients into
    the dry ingredients, and stir until well blended. Mix in the
    raisins and sunflower seeds. Divide the batter evenly
    between the two pans.

    3 Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the
    top springs back when lightly pressed. Let the bread cool
    in the pans for at least 10 minutes before cutting into
    squares or bars. Wrap pieces individually, and refrigerate
    or freeze.

    Makes 36 bars (36 servings)

    This tastes so good, you might just give up on cloning
    Clif Bars.

    --
    [email hidden]
    A very small object - Its center.
    25

  6. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:54:12 -0600, Kevan Smith
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Makes 36 bars (36 servings)

    This tastes so good, you might just give up on cloning
    Clif Bars.

    Thank you. I'll try it this weekend.

    Sandy

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Kevan@mouse-
    potato.com says...

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes 36 bars (36 servings)

    This tastes so good, you might just give up on cloning
    Clif Bars.

    It looks good; how sturdy are the bars? Will they survive
    being stuffed in a jerser pocket or a [censored] pack?

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  8. "Kevan Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:35:20 -0500, Sandy Parker

    from url='http://extra.newsguy.com/'http://extra.newsguy.com/url said:

    Hi,

    I am thinking about cloning Clif Bars, Peanut Toffee Buzz
    primarily.

    If you haven't already got a base recipe, you might want
    to start with


    something

    Quoted message said:

    called "Logan Bread." It's a great energy food for long
    rides. There are


    various

    Quoted message said:

    recipes for it around the 'net. Here's one I like:

    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-
    purpose flour 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
    3/4 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1
    teaspoon salt 2 eggs
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup molasses 1 cup applesauce
    1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 cup raisins
    2/3 cup sunflower seeds

    Directions

    1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Grease two 9 inch


    square

    Quoted message said:

    baking pans.

    2 In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour,
    white flour, oats,


    brown

    Quoted message said:

    sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, stir
    together the


    eggs,

    Quoted message said:

    honey, molasses, applesauce, and vegetable oil. Pour the
    wet ingredients


    into

    Quoted message said:

    the dry ingredients, and stir until well blended. Mix in
    the raisins and sunflower seeds. Divide the batter evenly
    between the two pans.

    3 Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the
    top springs back


    when

    Quoted message said:

    lightly pressed. Let the bread cool in the pans for at
    least 10 minutes


    before

    Quoted message said:

    cutting into squares or bars. Wrap pieces individually,
    and refrigerate or freeze.

    Makes 36 bars (36 servings)

    This tastes so good, you might just give up on cloning
    Clif Bars.


    Thanks for omitting cross post to .racing.

    Not familiar with Clif Bars in particular, but don't most
    energy bars have more protein? Maybe you could add wheat
    gluten or substitute 1/4 cup or so for some of the flour.

    I haven't tried the recipe yet, but maybe some of the fat
    could be omitted as well using less oil or fewer egg yolks.
    Anyone have experience with any of these changes? Looking
    forward to experimenting.

  9. On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:42:06 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> from

    Cox Communications said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Kevan@mouse- potato.com says...

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes 36 bars (36 servings)

    This tastes so good, you might just give up on cloning
    Clif Bars.

    It looks good; how sturdy are the bars? Will they survive
    being stuffed in a jerser pocket or a [censored] pack?

    I made some last summer and did a century with them. I had
    them cut up in small, bite-size squares. They were spongy,
    yet firm, if that makes sense -- more like a frim brownie
    than a hard bar. I put them in a ziploc bag and stuffed that
    in a jersey pocket. The temp reached 96 with a humidity in
    the 60s, which is pretty much the opposite of what they were
    designed for, and the bars held up very well. As long as you
    don't go medieval on them, they hold together.

    --
    [email hidden]
    A very small object - Its center.
    25

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.