General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT - Budget Colour Injet Printer Recommendation?

Started by Ste © · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,289 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 January 2004
Last activity
16 January 2004
Original author
Ste ©
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,289
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I need a new printer too. Can you still print in black


    when one of the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    colours runs out or do you have to replace it first?

    As far as I can remember the printer stops until you


    replace the offending

    Quoted message said:

    cartridge. You do get plenty of warning though.

    Correct, but at work we have several Epson machines, and if you reinsert the empty colour tank, it
    fools the machine into thinking a new tank has been inserted, which is ok if only black output is
    required. Also, many printers report empty when otherwise, so again reinserting an apparently empty
    tank can get you a bit more mileage. This also applied to a Hewlett Packard fax, which had an
    unbelievable appetite!!

    Robert

    Quoted message said:


    If your after a pure photo printer the next model up i950


    has six ink

    Quoted message said:

    cartridges, normal 4 plus 2 photo colours.

    A new thing I noticed a while ago from Canon is the


    ability to upload an

    Quoted message said:

    image and they will send you a test print from the printer


    of your choice.

    Quoted message said:

    See link below

    yourprint.canon-europe.comindex.html

    Cheers

    Andy

  2. "Carol Haynes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | "ste ©" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
    | > Hi there,
    | >
    | > I'm looking to buy a new colour inkjet printer this week, does anyone
    have
    | > any recommendations? I would love to buy the Epson 2100 (£520), as discussed in other threads,
    | > but I just can't afford that at the moment,
    or
    | > the Epson 950 (£250+) either. :-(
    | >
    | > I'll be using the printer for mostly text and various colour graphics,
    but
    | I
    | > might print the odd A4 photo of one of my 'walks' too. But I'll
    continue
    | to
    | > print most of my photos at photobox.co.uk anyway. I'd like a printer
    | which
    | > has the four separate ink cartridges, and it must cost under £150. So
    | far,
    | > I'm look at the Epson Stylus C84, which is £89 from PC World. But I
    just
    | > thought I'd post here first in case anyone has any better ideas?
    | >
    | > Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated.
    |
    | I like my Canon S520 (not sure if they are still available though). Good quality colour prints and
    | very fast too. Cheap consumables.
    |
    | I would say beware of the cost of consumables - I used to have a Lexmark
    but
    | eventually threw it in the bin because each cartridge was costing over £25 (and the photo
    | cartridges were over £35). Canon seem to get it right for
    my
    | money. I rarely pay more than £5 for a cartridge these days and because
    they
    | are all separates there isn't any waste.
    |
    | Carol

    Thanks for the recommendation and advice Carol, in the end, I did go and buy a Epson Stylus C84 for
    £89 from PC World. Then a few days later, I went and bought an Epson Stylus 2100 for £513 from
    Jessops! ...don't ask! :o)

    I've sold the C84 to my mum for her computer, as she needed a new printer too. ;o)

    Thanks,

    Ste

  3. ste © said:

    I've sold the C84 to my mum for her computer,

    Why didn't you keep it? It's not cheap making prints from the 2100, so a second printer is handy
    for general printing and even making small test prints to check sharpness and so on before printing
    on the 2100.

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  4. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | ste © wrote:
    |
    | > I've sold the C84 to my mum for her computer,
    |
    | Why didn't you keep it? It's not cheap making prints from the 2100, so a second printer is handy
    | for general printing and even making small test prints to check sharpness and so on before
    | printing on the 2100.
    |
    | Paul

    I understand your point Paul, but I still live with my parents, so I've got the C84 connected to my
    PC, together with the 2100. ;o) It will be staying like this until she gets her digital camera
    connected to her PC (an old Pentium 133). I need to put some USB ports into her PC first though. And
    even then, I'll be setting up a home network soon to allow the rest of my family share my broadband
    internet connection, so I'll still be able to use the C84 for test prints by transfering my images
    to her PC, even when it is at the other end of the house.

    Ste

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've sold the C84 to my mum for her computer,

    Why didn't you keep it? It's not cheap making prints from the 2100, so a second printer is handy
    for general printing and even making small test prints to check sharpness and so on before
    printing on the 2100.

    Cheaper still if the second printer is your mums' ;-)

    --
    Boo

  6. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | ste © wrote:
    |
    | > I do prefer to go into a shop and buy something, so that's where PC World can be good if they
    | > have any good offers.
    |
    | Always too expensive it seems to me.

    I've also found them to be expensive, but I bought an Epson Stylus C84 from there for £89 last week,
    and that seems to be the going rate. Plus, the bonus of going here is that you can get the goods
    instantly, which is a very good bonus for someone as impatient as me!

    | Any Jessops near you? They sell printers and will match web prices.

    Yes, there's a Jessops in the City centre where I work, and I've already bought a few things from
    there using their price match promise, namely a memory card, and my Canon 420ex flash.

    At the weekend, I went to the Jessops in Sheffield and bought an Epson Stylus 2100 under their price
    match promise for £513 (using savastore.com). Now I know I said at the start of this thread that I
    couldn't afford this printer (and I couldn't!), but after printing an A4 borderless print on the
    Epson C84, it impressed me so much that I just wanted more, i.e., bigger prints. So I decided there
    and then that I wanted an A3 printer, and nobody seems to have a bad word to say about the Epson
    2100 (apart from price!), so I opted for that.

    Of course, I had to borrow some money for this printer, especially as most of my months wages have
    just been spent on my car insurance! :"-( But I hope that it will be worth it, and the few prints
    I've done so far have been very good.

    | > You mention Sheffield trading standards, do you live in that area, or is that where ebuyer is
    | > based?
    |
    | I've read bad things about Ebuyer too. Apparently they're great unless there's a problem, in which
    | case it will take a long time to get sorted out.

    Funny enough, there was an article in this months .Net magazine about eBuyer in their Watchdog
    section, with the nature of the complaint being "Faulty goods and delayed refund." :o)

    | Paul

    Ste

  7. "Chris Street" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:23:47 GMT, "ste ©" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >"Chris Street" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    | >berlin.de...
    | >| Fran wrote:
    | >| > [email hidden] said...
    | >| >
    | >| >>I'm looking to buy a new colour inkjet printer this week, does anyone
    | >have
    | >| >>any recommendations?
    | >| >>
    | >| >
    | >| > Have a look on http:\\www.ebuyer.com for some reasonable deals - you never know, you may find
    | >| > what you are looking for at a good price.
    | >| I really cannot emphasis strongly enough - never EVER get anything from ebuyer. Although the
    | >| prices is good you cannot contact them and they have a flagrant disregard for the law - if you
    | >| want a refund then you will have to issue court proceedings. Sheffield trading standards have
    | >| more or less given up trying to get anywhere and I know a lot of people who would go and torch
    | >| their MD's house if only they knew where it was.
    | >|
    | >| www.dabs.com is probably a better option.
    | >
    | >Hi Chris,
    | >
    | >I do prefer to go into a shop and buy something, so that's where PC World can be good if they
    | >have any good offers. Otherwise, I do tend to use Dabs.com for a lot of computer related things
    | >as they're normally the cheapest too...
    |
    | I tend to hate any of the DSG due to their outrageous lies and general ignorace of consumer law
    | too but...
    |
    | >
    | >You mention Sheffield trading standards, do you live in that area, or is that where ebuyer is
    | >based? If you live in South Yorkshire, feel free to recommend any nice scenic walks around there,
    | >as I'm in the area every weekend.
    |
    | Ebuyer is based in Attercliffe Sheffield last time I checked. They do seem to move a lot though.
    |
    | I went to University of Sheffield and read pure chemistry, astronomy and electronics then spent
    | another five years in the city. Lots of interesting walks around the Peaks - what sort of walk do
    | you like?

    I currently like walks that follow a path are don't require a map and compass, but I'm quickly
    running out of these so your following suggestions should come in very handy. There's only so many
    times that one can walk around Langsett Barn, Thrybergh Country Park, Ulley Reservoir, or Rother
    Valley Country Park! :o)

    <snip useful links for walking>

    | Have fun.

    Thanks for telling me about this area Chris, and also for taking the time to provide me with map
    links to each of the places you mention, it's much appreciated! I'll buy an OS map of the area and
    will try and convince my girlfriend to venture away from our usual haunts next time we're in the
    area! When we go there, I'll be sure to post a trip report with some photos and you can let me know
    which good bits I missed out! :o) I'm not sure when that will be though, as most of our 'walks' are
    spontaneous and happen on the spur of the moment. But it will happen this year!

    Thanks again,

    Stephen

  8. "Boo" <boo@spam_me_no_spam.net> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | >>I've sold the C84 to my mum for her computer,
    | >
    | > Why didn't you keep it? It's not cheap making prints from the 2100, so a second printer is handy
    | > for general printing and even making small test prints to check sharpness and so on before
    | > printing on the 2100.
    |
    | Cheaper still if the second printer is your mums' ;-)
    |
    | --
    | Boo

    My thoughts exactly! ;o)

    Ste

  9. ste © said:

    At the weekend, I went to the Jessops in Sheffield and bought an Epson Stylus 2100

    Nice one! Welcome to the club!

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  10. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | ste © wrote:
    |
    | > At the weekend, I went to the Jessops in Sheffield and bought an Epson Stylus 2100
    |
    | Nice one! Welcome to the club!
    |
    | Paul

    I'm happy with it, but don't remind me about the price! And don't tell me when they bring out a
    replacement for it either... :o)

    Ste

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.