Road Cycling · Public discussion

OT A song for a soldier.

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 49 posts · 2,054 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
26 June 2005
Last activity
29 June 2005
Original author
Maggie
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,054
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.erichorner.com/Soldier/Soldier2.html

    Maggie

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:


    http://www.erichorner.com/Soldier/Soldier2.html

    Yow! Raging imperialistic jingoism!

    Here's something Canadian to wash it down with:
    http://www.mts.net/~marcz/hosers/elron2.htm

    And here's a development of the above:
    http://www.mts.net/~marcz/hosers/elron.htm

    BTW, I was just listening to Laurie Anderson's song:
    "O Superman" and was struck by how succinctly it
    prophesies 9/11.

    cheers, eh,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  3. Tom Keats wrote:

    It's a shame you can't see and listen to that song as a child whose
    father is fighting. It is all about the child. If all anyone sees is
    the war....or politics....or killing....I would tell them to step
    inside the shoes of the child whose father is not at home with her.
    (And who may never come back). Sometimes it not about the war.
    Sometimes it is about something more than the war. Ever have a loved
    one go to war? Ever sit up nights wondering how that person is? Ever
    make fun of something you know nothing about? Do you ever think there
    are those of us who feel all this insanity should end? From my father
    in World War II, to my brother in VietNam....personally I think its
    time.

    Maggie

  4. Maggie said:

    Do you ever think there
    are those of us who feel all this insanity should end? From my father
    in World War II, to my brother in VietNam....personally I think its
    time.

    Well, there are those of us who felt this insanity should never have begun.

    There are things worth dying for, and perhaps things worth losing a
    father or a son for -- but very few things, and some sort of "freedom"
    for a divided and backward Middle East nation isn't one of them. I
    wouldn't ask any parent to give up their son for something I wouldn't
    give up mine for. This cause is not worth the price.

  5. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    http://www.erichorner.com/Soldier/Soldier2.html

    Yow! Raging imperialistic jingoism!

    Here's something Canadian to wash it down with:
    http://www.mts.net/~marcz/hosers/elron2.htm

    And here's a development of the above:
    http://www.mts.net/~marcz/hosers/elron.htm

    BTW, I was just listening to Laurie Anderson's song:
    "O Superman" and was struck by how succinctly it
    prophesies 9/11.

    cheers, eh,
    Tom

    I tend to agree. Here's my nomination, lyrics only:

    http://www.steveearle.net/discography/revolution.php#RichMansWar

    Dan

  6. Dan said:

    http://www.steveearle.net/discography/revolution.php#RichMansWar

    Quoted message said:

    Dan

    I'm sorry you all missed the point in the song. I guess everyone
    interprets things they way they want. I lost friends in Viet Nam. .and
    I have one college age son and one who was in the army reserves. I
    thought the song might show the war from the side of a child. It was
    not meant to start a political debate. Sorry I posted it. But it
    touched my heart. I protested the war in Viet Nam. No, this war should
    not have started. Neither should Nam have started. Remind me to keep
    my song lyrics to myself. I guess I screwed up. Next time I will
    remember to post only important things, like helmet issues..."should
    we, or should we not wear helmets". The great debate.

    Sorry, I went insane for a moment. I tend to do that. Have a great day.
    Peace to you and your bicycles.

    Maggie.

  7. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Maggie said:

    Do you ever think there
    are those of us who feel all this insanity should end? From my father
    in World War II, to my brother in VietNam....personally I think its
    time.

    Well, there are those of us who felt this insanity should never have
    begun.

    There are things worth dying for, and perhaps things worth losing a father
    or a son for -- but very few things, and some sort of "freedom" for a
    divided and backward Middle East nation isn't one of them. I wouldn't ask
    any parent to give up their son for something I wouldn't give up mine for.
    This cause is not worth the price.

    I agree, Peter.

  8. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There are things worth dying for, and perhaps things worth losing a father
    or a son for -- but very few things, and some sort of "freedom" for a
    divided and backward Middle East nation isn't one of them. I wouldn't ask
    any parent to give up their son for something I wouldn't give up mine for.
    This cause is not worth the price.

    Here's my contribution. Written 40 years ago but still just as true today.

    http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/P/Phil-Ochs/Cops-Of-The-World.html

    Cheto

  9. "Maggie" wrote: I'm sorry you all missed the point in the song. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Maggie, if you were to serve me a bowl of M & M's floating in pancake syrup,
    what would it mean if I didn't like it? That my palate was not developed?
    This is not about being for or against the war, nor about seeing the family
    disruption and tradgedy that result from war, nor about understanding the
    thinking and emotion of children. There are times when the American flag
    evokes my deepest emotion, such as when the neatly folded flag is handed to
    a widow at her husband's funeral.

    This thing just made my teeth ache.

  10. Peter Cole said:

    I wouldn't ask any parent to give up their son for something I wouldn't
    give up mine for.

    Worth being quoted again.

    Tom

  11. Leo Lichtman said:

    This thing just made my teeth ache.

    Some will have an ache in their teeth...some an ache in their heart.
    Call me sappy....Whatever. I've been called alot worse.

    I guess I just related to the little girl with someone she loved at
    war. Sorry about your teeth.

    Maggie.

  12. "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I'm sorry you all missed the point in the song.

    There's more than one point in the song.

    There's the "I hope my son/father/husband/brother gets back
    safe", and there's the "wrap yourself in the flag whether it
    makes any sense or not" point. I'll agree with one out of
    two.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    It's a shame you can't see and listen to that song as a child whose
    father is fighting. It is all about the child.

    I guess I'm jaded. It all struck me as more of a
    war-glorifying recruitment ad, and possibly a good
    delivery system for subliminals.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes it not about the war.
    Sometimes it is about something more than the war.

    Isn't that particular "war" supposed to be over now?

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  14. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    It's a shame you can't see and listen to that song as a child whose
    father is fighting. It is all about the child.

    I guess I'm jaded. It all struck me as more of a
    war-glorifying recruitment ad, and possibly a good
    delivery system for subliminals.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes it not about the war.
    Sometimes it is about something more than the war.

    Isn't that particular "war" supposed to be over now?

    cheers,
    Tom

    What does that have to do with a little girl missing her father.
    Everything has to be turned into a political debate. Sometimes things
    are just about a kid and her father. No more, no less. You see the
    song the way you want to see it, I'll see it as I want to see it. I
    have my political views, and they are not pro war. It was about the
    kid. Sometimes things are simple, not complex. Sometimes people can't
    see the tree because they are looking at the forest.

    Maggie

  15. Maggie said:
    Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    It's a shame you can't see and listen to that song as a child whose
    father is fighting. It is all about the child.

    I guess I'm jaded. It all struck me as more of a
    war-glorifying recruitment ad, and possibly a good
    delivery system for subliminals.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes it not about the war.
    Sometimes it is about something more than the war.

    Isn't that particular "war" supposed to be over now?

    cheers,
    Tom

    What does that have to do with a little girl missing her father.
    Everything has to be turned into a political debate. Sometimes things
    are just about a kid and her father. No more, no less. You see the
    song the way you want to see it, I'll see it as I want to see it. I
    have my political views, and they are not pro war. It was about the
    kid. Sometimes things are simple, not complex. Sometimes people
    can't see the tree because they are looking at the forest.

    That's all fine, Mags, but if you hadn't posted a political (or "patriotic"😉
    piece in the first place... My advice: e-mail that kind of thing to people
    you know or at least think will agree with and appreciate it. We get enough
    political flame wars on here WITHOUT trying very hard; no need to basically
    beg for another one. (And truly, it was /really/ sappy, at least the 9
    seconds of it I saw.)

    HAND, BS

  16. "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Sometimes people can't see the tree because they are
    looking at the forest.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Maggie, I can hardly wait for your book to come out. Your writing style is
    inimitable.

  17. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Sometimes people can't see the tree because they are
    looking at the forest.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Maggie, I can hardly wait for your book to come out. Your writing style is
    inimitable.

    My writing style is my own, I write what I feel, I have been reviewed,
    I have been told I am talented. I have a publisher. I am a very
    creative person, and when my freaking book hits the stands you will
    know it is the MAGGIE from the NG. It is one hell of a story. It is
    MY story. And it is fascinating. My short stories are outrageous.
    There is no way this book will fail. That is not an option.

    Maggie

  18. Quoted message said:


    What does that have to do with a little girl missing her father.
    Everything has to be turned into a political debate. Sometimes things
    are just about a kid and her father. No more, no less. You see the
    song the way you want to see it, I'll see it as I want to see it. I
    have my political views, and they are not pro war. It was about the
    kid. Sometimes things are simple, not complex. Sometimes people can't
    see the tree because they are looking at the forest.

    Maggie

    I don't think anyone questions your sincerity, certainly not after
    seeing your follow up posts, it's just that some of us (me, anyway) have
    taken about all the "god blessing" and "flag waving" in service to this
    particular pack of bloody lies that we can stand. You keyed in on the
    child, that's fine; I personally agree with Tom, it came across to me as
    a tear-jerking emotional recruiting appeal.

    I hope both the sons you mentioned make it through this period without
    being swept up in the mess.

    Dan


  19. Quoted message said:


    I hope both the sons you mentioned make it through this period without
    being swept up in the mess.

    Dan

    My oldest is out of the reserves because of medical reasons. So he is
    safe. If they try to take my 22 year old, he is going to Canada with
    me. I did not bring two sons into this world to die in a [censored]
    military action.

    Maggie.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    What does that have to do with a little girl missing her father.
    Everything has to be turned into a political debate. Sometimes things
    are just about a kid and her father. No more, no less.

    Well, alright already. If whomever produced that web site didn't
    obfuscate that message with a huge Old Glory in the background
    and a militaristic/nationalistic slide show, maybe I would have
    gotten what you got from it.

    You see the

    Quoted message said:

    song the way you want to see it, I'll see it as I want to see it.

    Okay.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes people can't
    see the tree because they are looking at the forest.

    It helps if they don't shove the forest right in yer face.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.