Got soaked again this morning, which I don't mind but was a touch miffed
when my backpack leaked again.
I've had the waterproof covers, which both broke after a fortnight of
use and have wrapped all my clothes in plastic bags which works but you
have to remember to do and won't help me out in the squall I experienced
this morning.
A brief look on the web this morning seems that the best but expensive
option is the Ortlieb X-Cursion pack.
Firstly does anyone know any cheaper packpack options or where I can buy
one this in London. I'd like to get the bag this afternoon before
tonight's commute.
UK and Europe · Public discussion
Ortlieb London Sotckist
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- UK and Europe
- Published
- 28 February 2007
- Last activity
- 1 March 2007
- Original author
- UrbanMyth
- Posts
- 20
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 850
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Don't Evans stock Ortleib?
If not then Bikefix in Lamb's Conduit Street is a good bet.
-
UrbanMyth said:
Got soaked again this morning, which I don't mind but was a touch
miffed when my backpack leaked again.
I've had the waterproof covers, which both broke after a fortnight of
use and have wrapped all my clothes in plastic bags which works but
you have to remember to do and won't help me out in the squall I
experienced this morning.
A brief look on the web this morning seems that the best but expensive
option is the Ortlieb X-Cursion pack.
Firstly does anyone know any cheaper packpack options or where I can
buy one this in London. I'd like to get the bag this afternoon before
tonight's commute.Bikefix sell Ortlieb stuff - you could phone then to find if they have
that in stock... <http://www.bikefix.co.uk>. -
Bikefix, 48 Lambs Conduit Street
phone: +44 (0) 20 7405 1218 -
John Hearns said:
Bikefix, 48 Lambs Conduit Street
phone: +44 (0) 20 7405 1218
thanks, just down the road from me. Unfortunately not in stock so will
have to order. -
UrbanMyth said:
Got soaked again this morning, which I don't mind but was a touch miffed
when my backpack leaked again.There are various reasons to use backpacks, but not all good. If it's
practical in your case I'd consider panniers or rack pack: the weight
goes on the bike rather than you, so much comfier.
If you want the load on you for whatever reason, also consider a courier
bag. Also available in "waterproof" and easier to access and no sweaty
back.Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ -
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Got soaked again this morning, which I don't mind but was a touch
miffed when my backpack leaked again.There are various reasons to use backpacks, but not all good. If it's
practical in your case I'd consider panniers or rack pack: the weight
goes on the bike rather than you, so much comfier.
If you want the load on you for whatever reason, also consider a courier
bag. Also available in "waterproof" and easier to access and no sweaty
back.Pete.
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothes -
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothesOrtlieb's optionally comes with detachable internal organisers. As an
alternative, any wee baggy can take the tools and stuff and just float
in the bottom of the bag until needed (how I carry tools and spares
using Ortlieb's single-compartment panniers). You can usually find a
suitable supply at a good outdoor/travel store.Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ -
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
How about one of Carradice's Super-C saddlebags? No lugs required, up
to 24 litre capacity. If you're not wanting the retro look then the
Super C saddlepack is a bit more streamlined but only 8 litres.Saddlebags on http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/index.html
The ones made from cotton duck should be waterproof.
Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ -
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothesOrtlieb's optionally comes with detachable internal organisers. As an
alternative, any wee baggy can take the tools and stuff and just float
in the bottom of the bag until needed (how I carry tools and spares
using Ortlieb's single-compartment panniers). You can usually find a
suitable supply at a good outdoor/travel store.Pete.
Thanks, will have a look at Lunch time
-
UrbanMyth said:
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothesQuoted message said:
Ortlieb's optionally comes with detachable internal organisers. As an
alternative, any wee baggy can take the tools and stuff and just float
in the bottom of the bag until needed (how I carry tools and spares
using Ortlieb's single-compartment panniers). You can usually find a
suitable supply at a good outdoor/travel store.Quoted message said:
Pete.
Thanks, will have a look at Lunch time
I got a kind of sneery attitude in Bikefix. maybe the assistant was
having a bad day or something but I felt like i was in the Woofers and
tweeters sketch. -
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothesSomeone on c+ recommended Bagaboo bags yesterday.
http://bagaboo.hu/en
They look pretty nifty, and are lined with 'truck tarp' material,
which would seem to be similar to the stuff Ortleib uses.But having no lugs does not prevent you from having a rack.
M-parts make a nifty replacement seat collar, which has the two top
fixings for a rack integral to it.
Making this a little bit clearer, you take the existing seat clamp off
your bike, and slip this on. Do up as normal. It has two threaded holes
for the top rack mounts. If your bike has threaded mudguard holes near
the rear axle then you are off.
Cost about a tenner from Condor. -
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
How about one of Carradice's Super-C saddlebags?
Or indeed an SQR bag. Stocked in Condor. -
John Hearns said:
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
How about one of Carradice's Super-C saddlebags?
Or indeed an SQR bag. Stocked in Condor.I had thought that they were all nylon or polyester and would leak
through the seams, but more careful scrutiny reveals that the 16 litre
SQR Slim model is made from cotton duck, and should thus be waterproof.Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ -
spindrift said:
UrbanMyth said:
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth wrote:
> Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
> I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
> compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothes
Ortlieb's optionally comes with detachable internal organisers. As an
alternative, any wee baggy can take the tools and stuff and just float
in the bottom of the bag until needed (how I carry tools and spares
using Ortlieb's single-compartment panniers). You can usually find a
suitable supply at a good outdoor/travel store.
Pete.
Thanks, will have a look at Lunch timeI got a kind of sneery attitude in Bikefix. maybe the assistant was
having a bad day or something but I felt like i was in the Woofers and
tweeters sketch.Evans stock the crumpler courier bags so I'll look at the St. Pauls
branch as I know the guys well there -
thanks for all your suggestions, I'd like to look that the saddlebags
before making the jump to get one of those but I like the idea -
UrbanMyth said:
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Got soaked again this morning, which I don't mind but was a touch
miffed when my backpack leaked again.There are various reasons to use backpacks, but not all good. If it's
practical in your case I'd consider panniers or rack pack: the weight
goes on the bike rather than you, so much comfier.
If you want the load on you for whatever reason, also consider a
courier bag. Also available in "waterproof" and easier to access and
no sweaty back.Pete.
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
I did think about the courier bags any suggestions ? I'd like one with
compartments so I can keep tools and spares separate from my clothesTubus do a mount to fit to the QR
--
Three wheels good, two wheels okwww.catrike.co.uk
-
Peter Clinch said:
UrbanMyth said:
Panniers or rack pack are not an option as I have a racer with no lugs.
How about one of Carradice's Super-C saddlebags? No lugs required, up
to 24 litre capacity. If you're not wanting the retro look then the
Super C saddlepack is a bit more streamlined but only 8 litres.Saddlebags on http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/index.html
The ones made from cotton duck should be waterproof.
Pete.
got a messenger bag. a revelation cycling home last night much
comfortable and no sweaty back -
Bikefix? BIKEFIX? Having seen their website I was quite excited to
be visiting their shop in London. I figured there'd be all kinds of
goodies on display and interesting alternative stuff to the usual bike
shop tat.What a disappointment. Virtually no stock of anything, and the few
items that were on display were hanging from odd stands, in no
particular order and all looking grubby as though they'd been tried
out by the shop staff. On the phone the staff are sneering - as an
earlier poster said - just like the woofers and tweeters sketch.Major disppointment and certainly not my idea of what a bike shop
should be. I'm not saying that they should have loads of glitzy racks
like many shops. In fact my LBS is a bit like LBS used to be 30 years
ago. Nuts and bolts and bits all over the place, but staffed by
helpful and knowledgable people. Seems like Bikefix have all the
charm of the old style LBS, but no stock and nobody interested in
speaking to customers in anything like a civil or interested way. -
biking-geordie said:
Bikefix? BIKEFIX? Having seen their website I was quite excited to
be visiting their shop in London. I figured there'd be all kinds of
goodies on display and interesting alternative stuff to the usual bike
shop tat.What a disappointment. Virtually no stock of anything, and the few
items that were on display were hanging from odd stands, in no
particular order and all looking grubby as though they'd been tried
out by the shop staff. On the phone the staff are sneering - as an
earlier poster said - just like the woofers and tweeters sketch.My one visit there was very useful. I wanted to try an 8 Freight. They
have a demo/hire bike there for trying and I got to try it and talk
about it technically, usefully and politely. Worked for me.Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.