General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Oriental Pasta Salad-the Reviews

Started by Sheryl Rosen · · Last activity · 15 posts · 297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 August 2005
Last activity
3 August 2005
Original author
Sheryl Rosen
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My potluck was yesterday--the Oriental Pasta Salad was a huge success!

    It changed slightly since I posted the original recipe, so here's the final
    version. Everyone loved it. People were asking who made it....even the
    ballplayers were asking who made it. People I'd never met before were
    hugging me, thanking me for the delicious pasta salad. I took email
    addresses from half a dozen people I didn't know who wanted the recipe, and
    a few of my friends and acquaintances wanted the recipe, too...I must have
    emailed it to 8-9 people already! One of the coaches gave me his wife's
    email address back home--he liked it that much he wants her to make it for
    him!!! It was pretty cool!!!
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  2. Sheryl Rosen said:

    My potluck was yesterday--the Oriental Pasta Salad was a huge success!

    It changed slightly since I posted the original recipe, so here's the final
    version....???


    Sheryl, have you forgotten to post the final recipe, or is this
    sentence a mistake?

    ....Picky ~JA~

  3. My potluck was yesterday--the Oriental Pasta Salad was a huge success!

    Everyone loved it. People were asking who made it....even the ballplayers
    were asking who made it. People I'd never met before were hugging me,
    thanking me for the delicious pasta salad. I took email addresses from
    half a dozen people I had never met before who wanted the recipe, and a few
    of my friends and acquaintances wanted the recipe, too...I must have emailed
    it to 8-9 people already! One of the coaches gave me his wife's email
    address at home--he thought she'd like it, too. Too funny!!!!

    I actually made 3 times as much dressing and 2 lbs of pasta, increasing the
    veggies accordingly, which fed more than 50 people as a side-dish on a
    buffet.

    I made it somewhat differently than the original recipe I posted, so here's
    the final version after I tested and re-tested and tweaked it.

    I will make this again!

    ---
    Asian Pasta Salad

    Dressing:
    1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used soybean oil)
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground (powdered) ginger
    half an inch of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped (or to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (the dark one, i got mine at Trader Joe's)
    1 heaping tablespoon of frozen orange juice concentrate (I think this was
    the secret ingredient!) I tasted it and it lacked something--it was citrus.
    The orange juice cut through the "muddiness" of the sesame oil.

    Note: If you use unseasoned rice wine vinegar, you will need to add salt to
    the dressing.

    In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth,
    about a minute, using a "pulse" action.

    Salad:
    1 lb "Cavatappi" or other cork screw pasta
    1/2 pint grape tomatoes
    half a 1 lb bag of frozen sugar snap peas
    2 medium sized carrots, sliced thin (about a 1/3 of a lb)
    1/3 of a large cucumber
    scallions (2-3, to taste)
    Radishes (quantity to taste)

    1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted over low heat in an ungreased skillet,
    stirring constantly, until golden brown.

    Bring a large pot of salted water up to the boil for the pasta.
    Slice the carrots thinly, then immerse them in the pasta pot for 1 minute,
    and fish them out of the pot with a slotted spoon. Immediately submerge them
    in ice cold water to stop the cooking process. You're cooking just to get
    rid of the raw taste, but still crunchy. Drain. Rinse the pea pods under
    running water so they thaw out, and drain them.

    Put the pasta in to cook--cook it until just al dente (use package
    directions for timing). Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking
    process. Drain well.

    Peel and remove the seeds from the cucumber and slice into bite size pieces.
    Cut the radishes into bite size pieces. Chop the scallions and set aside.

    Toss all veggies with the pasta in a large bowl, and add dressing. Mix well
    and let it sit in the fridge a couple hours before serving. Toss in the
    toasted sesame seeds for garnish.

    Serves 6 as an entree, 10 as a side dish.

    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  4. JeanineAlyse at [email hidden] wrote on 8/1/05 9:53 PM:

    Quoted message said:


    Sheryl Rosen said:

    My potluck was yesterday--the Oriental Pasta Salad was a huge success!

    It changed slightly since I posted the original recipe, so here's the final
    version....???


    Sheryl, have you forgotten to post the final recipe, or is this
    sentence a mistake?

    ...Picky ~JA~

    I forgot that I had used my other email address to send the recipe, so I had
    to switch back to get it.....when I switched back again to this screen-name,
    Outlook Express sent it from my Drafts folder. Oooops!!!!

    If you look again, you'll see the recipe with narrative!
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  5. How do you think lime juice would work? I'm not a big fan of orange juice
    in food - wierd idiosyncricy. There are so many thing that you could do
    with this is you wanted to make it more or of a main course - grilled
    chicken, shrimp or crab. Sounds good!!!

    Marc

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My potluck was yesterday--the Oriental Pasta Salad was a huge success!

    Everyone loved it. People were asking who made it....even the ballplayers
    were asking who made it. People I'd never met before were hugging me,
    thanking me for the delicious pasta salad. I took email addresses from
    half a dozen people I had never met before who wanted the recipe, and a


    few

    Quoted message said:

    of my friends and acquaintances wanted the recipe, too...I must have


    emailed

    Quoted message said:

    it to 8-9 people already! One of the coaches gave me his wife's email
    address at home--he thought she'd like it, too. Too funny!!!!

    I actually made 3 times as much dressing and 2 lbs of pasta, increasing


    the

    Quoted message said:

    veggies accordingly, which fed more than 50 people as a side-dish on a
    buffet.

    I made it somewhat differently than the original recipe I posted, so


    here's

    Quoted message said:

    the final version after I tested and re-tested and tweaked it.

    I will make this again!

    ---
    Asian Pasta Salad

    Dressing:
    1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used soybean oil)
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground (powdered) ginger
    half an inch of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped (or to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (the dark one, i got mine at Trader Joe's)
    1 heaping tablespoon of frozen orange juice concentrate (I think this was
    the secret ingredient!) I tasted it and it lacked something--it was


    citrus.

    Quoted message said:

    The orange juice cut through the "muddiness" of the sesame oil.

    Note: If you use unseasoned rice wine vinegar, you will need to add salt


    to

    Quoted message said:

    the dressing.

    In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth,
    about a minute, using a "pulse" action.

    Salad:
    1 lb "Cavatappi" or other cork screw pasta
    1/2 pint grape tomatoes
    half a 1 lb bag of frozen sugar snap peas
    2 medium sized carrots, sliced thin (about a 1/3 of a lb)
    1/3 of a large cucumber
    scallions (2-3, to taste)
    Radishes (quantity to taste)

    1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted over low heat in an ungreased


    skillet,

    Quoted message said:

    stirring constantly, until golden brown.

    Bring a large pot of salted water up to the boil for the pasta.
    Slice the carrots thinly, then immerse them in the pasta pot for 1 minute,
    and fish them out of the pot with a slotted spoon. Immediately submerge


    them

    Quoted message said:

    in ice cold water to stop the cooking process. You're cooking just to get
    rid of the raw taste, but still crunchy. Drain. Rinse the pea pods under
    running water so they thaw out, and drain them.

    Put the pasta in to cook--cook it until just al dente (use package
    directions for timing). Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking
    process. Drain well.

    Peel and remove the seeds from the cucumber and slice into bite size


    pieces.

    Quoted message said:

    Cut the radishes into bite size pieces. Chop the scallions and set aside.

    Toss all veggies with the pasta in a large bowl, and add dressing. Mix


    well

    Quoted message said:

    and let it sit in the fridge a couple hours before serving. Toss in the
    toasted sesame seeds for garnish.

    Serves 6 as an entree, 10 as a side dish.

    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  6. Marc' mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com said:

    How do you think lime juice would work? I'm not a big fan of orange juice
    in food - wierd idiosyncricy. There are so many thing that you could do
    with this is you wanted to make it more or of a main course - grilled
    chicken, shrimp or crab. Sounds good!!!

    Just call yours, "Asian Whatever."

    Sgt. Carol, P.C. Police

  7. I'm sure Lime Juice would probably me more authentically Thai or
    otherwise Asian, why not? I'm sure it would be awesome.

    I was thinking chicken would be great in this, too. I really enjoyed
    the slight creaminess of the dressing and the strong ginger flavor.
    Whoever recommended I use both fresh and ground ginger, thank you, it
    was a terrific idea!

  8. I don't do PC.

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure Lime Juice would probably me more authentically Thai or
    otherwise Asian, why not? I'm sure it would be awesome.

    I'm glad it turned out so well, people really liked it, congratulations!
    How gratifying.

    nancy

  10. Quoted message said:

    I don't do PC.

    I see that. You don't quote anymore, either. We should all aspire to
    these goals. 🙂

    Carol

  11. Damsel said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't do PC.

    I see that. You don't quote anymore, either. We should all aspire to
    these goals. 🙂

    Carol

    Sometimes Google quotes, sometimes it doesn't.
    Damned if I know when it will and when it won't.
    This time, it did.

    It's not like you didn't know what I was responding to, sheesh.\
    So sue me.

  12. Nancy Young at [email hidden] wrote on 8/2/05 10:21 AM:

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure Lime Juice would probably me more authentically Thai or
    otherwise Asian, why not? I'm sure it would be awesome.

    I'm glad it turned out so well, people really liked it, congratulations!
    How gratifying.

    nancy

    Yeah...it's nice to be appreciated.
    Thanks, Nancy.
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  13. Quoted message said:
    Damsel said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't do PC.

    I see that. You don't quote anymore, either. We should all aspire to
    these goals. 🙂

    Carol

    Sometimes Google quotes, sometimes it doesn't.
    Damned if I know when it will and when it won't.
    This time, it did.

    It's not like you didn't know what I was responding to, sheesh.\
    So sue me.

    I was responding to your general lack of concern for the feelings of other
    people (PC), and your disregard for standard posting practices, which you
    can manage when push comes to shove.

    I fold after this hand. I could never out-[censored] you.

    Carol

  14. Damsel at [email hidden] wrote on 8/2/05 10:49 PM:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Damsel said:

    [email hidden] said:

    > I don't do PC.

    I see that. You don't quote anymore, either. We should all aspire to
    these goals. 🙂

    Carol

    Sometimes Google quotes, sometimes it doesn't.
    Damned if I know when it will and when it won't.
    This time, it did.

    It's not like you didn't know what I was responding to, sheesh.\
    So sue me.

    I was responding to your general lack of concern for the feelings of other
    people (PC), and your disregard for standard posting practices, which you
    can manage when push comes to shove.

    I fold after this hand. I could never out-[censored] you.

    Carol

    If you had bothered to read the rest of the thread, you would have seen that
    in all but 2 posts, I quoted. And if you had bothered to look a little bit
    further before criticizing a minor and quite out of character infraction,
    you would have noticed that I was posting from Google, rather than my usual
    newsreader.

    PC is [censored] and we've already covered that here.
    You are what you are. Embrace reality.

    And what was so un-PC about my recipe in the first place? I'm still trying
    to figure that one out.

    It's frigging pasta salad for goodness sake!
    Get a grip.
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  15. Quoted message said:


    Sometimes Google quotes, sometimes it doesn't.
    Damned if I know when it will and when it won't.
    This time, it did.


    Having been stuck with Google for too many weeks between computers
    last Spring, I can tell you when it quotes and when it doesn't.

    If you read to the bottom of a post and use "reply" at the end of it,
    nothing is quoted. If you use "show options", you can select a Reply
    which includes quotes. Don't ask me why, that's just the way google
    is set up. BTW: you won't have Reply as an option in "show options"
    until you're signed in.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.