I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did
I
Quoted message said:
fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs,
Red
Quoted message said:
Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just toss them?
"kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did
I
Quoted message said:
fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs,
Red
Quoted message said:
Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just toss them?
kili
No, there are too many lbs of it to toss. DH is very frugal. I will cut them into squares, as usual, and freeze them for those times when we come home to busy to fix anything. He will do the eating. But we certainly learned a lesson with raw onions. About the only thing I know you can get away with putting raw onions in, is chili w/beans. Dee Dee
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.)
You're supposed to cook those veggies *before* adding to lasagna, certainly onion n' garlic, and especially chard, in fact I wouldn't even consider using chard in lasagna (much too overwhelming a flavor). I hope you're not one of those who adds raw sausage to lasagna thinking it will cook, it won't.... gotta be *fully cooked* before adding. At 375ºF the typical lasagna (2 1/2" deep) shouldn't need to be cooked more than an hour and fifteen minutes... an hour covered with foil, fifteen minutes with the foil off so it can brown... for thicker versions lower temperature to 350ºF and cook longer.
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
Tsk!
Just pre-cook the shallots! (and onions)
And the chard....... :-) -- Om.
"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson
"kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did
I
Quoted message said:
fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs,
Red
Quoted message said:
Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just toss them?
kili
No, there are too many lbs of it to toss. DH is very frugal. I will cut them into squares, as usual, and freeze them for those times when we come home to busy to fix anything. He will do the eating. But we certainly learned a lesson with raw onions. About the only thing I know you can get away with putting raw onions in, is chili w/beans. Dee Dee
It's hard to overcook lasagna IMHO unless you dry it out.
Try nuking it good in a sealed situation to hold moisture. I'm betting you can at least soften everything that way. -- Om.
"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson
"kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]... > I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. > Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along > with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate > temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 > hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various > places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used > cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- > did I > fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red > Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses. > > It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it > looked > like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots > were > CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I > should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw > onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) > Dee Dee > >
Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just toss them?
kili
No, there are too many lbs of it to toss. DH is very frugal. I will cut them into squares, as usual, and freeze them for those times when we come home to busy to fix anything. He will do the eating. But we certainly learned a lesson with raw onions. About the only thing I know you can get away with putting raw onions in, is chili w/beans. Dee Dee
It's hard to overcook lasagna IMHO unless you dry it out.
Try nuking it good in a sealed situation to hold moisture. I'm betting you can at least soften everything that way.
And therein lies the most common result of overcooking, the pasta turns to mush... it's very easy to overcook lasagna.... before the "everything" softens the pasta will disintergrate.
"kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]... > I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. > Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along > with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate > temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 > hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various > places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used > cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- > did I > fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red > Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses. > > It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it > looked > like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots > were > CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I > should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw > onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) > Dee Dee > >
Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just toss them?
kili
No, there are too many lbs of it to toss. DH is very frugal. I will cut them into squares, as usual, and freeze them for those times when we come home to busy to fix anything. He will do the eating. But we certainly learned a lesson with raw onions. About the only thing I know you can get away with putting raw onions in, is chili w/beans. Dee Dee
It's hard to overcook lasagna IMHO unless you dry it out.
Try nuking it good in a sealed situation to hold moisture. I'm betting you can at least soften everything that way.
And therein lies the most common result of overcooking, the pasta turns to mush... it's very easy to overcook lasagna.... before the "everything" softens the pasta will disintergrate.
"kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]... > > "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > news:[email hidden]... >> I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >> Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday >> (along >> with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate >> temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for >> 1-1/2 >> hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various >> places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I >> used >> cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- >> did > I >> fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, >> herbs, > Red >> Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses. >> >> It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it >> looked >> like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots >> were >> CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! >> I >> should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw >> onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) >> Dee Dee >> >> > > Oh, that's so sad! What are you going to do with the leftovers? Just > toss > them? > > kili > No, there are too many lbs of it to toss. DH is very frugal. I will cut them into squares, as usual, and freeze them for those times when we come home to busy to fix anything. He will do the eating. But we certainly learned a lesson with raw onions. About the only thing I know you can get away with putting raw onions in, is chili w/beans. Dee Dee
It's hard to overcook lasagna IMHO unless you dry it out.
Try nuking it good in a sealed situation to hold moisture. I'm betting you can at least soften everything that way.
And therein lies the most common result of overcooking, the pasta turns to mush... it's very easy to overcook lasagna.... before the "everything" softens the pasta will disintergrate.
Sheldon Sludge
I've never, ever had pasta go to mush... but crunchy onions/shallots in a lasagna (or any pasta dish) is going to make it inedible in my book. It's become chicken or dog food. ;-P -- Om.
"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first.
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first.
Kate
I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard.
--
saerah
"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice." -Baruch Spinoza
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." -Douglas Adams
I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses.
It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! I should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) Dee Dee
I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first.
Kate
I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard.
Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole.
"Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
sarah bennett said:
Kate Connally said:
Dee Randall wrote:
>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday >(along >with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees (accurate >temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I tented it for >1-1/2 >hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of the lasagna at various >places in the pan between 185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used >cooked chard instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- >did I >fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, herbs, >Red >Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana cheeses. > >It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it >looked >like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The shallots >were >CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of shallots is STRONG! >I >should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw >onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) >Dee Dee
I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first.
Kate
I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard.
Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole.
Kate
"All the recipes I've seen for
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first."
I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I must've 'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and baked for 2 hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. To expand upon this: Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of leftover ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it yesterday in the bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the bread.] I took his word for it and acknowledged once more that I must be getting even more forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, there it was: my 1 cup of left-over ricotta; problem being, now I can't remember what I was going to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta for. GAWD! Dee Dee
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 08:53:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
sarah bennett said:
Kate Connally wrote: > Dee Randall wrote: > >>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >>Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday >>(along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees >>(accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I >>tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of >>the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For >>the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I >>recall it being mentioned here -- did I >>fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, >>herbs, Red >>Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana >>cheeses. >> >>It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it >>looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The >>shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of >>shallots is STRONG! I >>should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw >>onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) >>Dee Dee > > > I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members > into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first. > > Kate
I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard.
Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole.
Kate
"All the recipes I've seen for
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first."
I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I must've 'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and baked for 2 hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. To expand upon this: Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of leftover ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it yesterday in the bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the bread.] I took his word for it and acknowledged once more that I must be getting even more forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, there it was: my 1 cup of left-over ricotta; problem being, now I can't remember what I was going to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta for. GAWD! Dee Dee
A teensie ricotta cheesecake? :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿* _____________________________________________
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 08:53:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
sarah bennett wrote: > > Kate Connally wrote: > > Dee Randall wrote: > > > >>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. > >>Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday > >>(along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees > >>(accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I > >>tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature of > >>the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For > >>the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I > >>recall it being mentioned here -- did I > >>fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, > >>herbs, Red > >>Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran Padana > >>cheeses. > >> > >>It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it > >>looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The > >>shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of > >>shallots is STRONG! I > >>should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw > >>onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) > >>Dee Dee > > > > > > I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members > > into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for > > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first. > > > > Kate > > I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard.
Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole.
Kate
"All the recipes I've seen for
Quoted message said:
> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first."
I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I must've 'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and baked for 2 hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. To expand upon this: Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of leftover ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it yesterday in the bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the bread.] I took his word for it and acknowledged once more that I must be getting even more forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, there it was: my 1 cup of left-over ricotta; problem being, now I can't remember what I was going to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta for. GAWD! Dee Dee
A teensie ricotta cheesecake? :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿*
I'm headed for bed, so it might come to me when I wake up; or while I'm grocery shopping tomorrow. Snowed here in Virginia last night - about 3-4" on the ground, but back roads are clear. You remember that Ohio weather, don't you Wayne? Only too well. Dee Dee
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:40:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 08:53:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]... > sarah bennett wrote: >> >> Kate Connally wrote: >> > Dee Randall wrote: >> > >> >>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >> >>Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday >> >>(along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees >> >>(accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I >> >>tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature
of
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
>> >>the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For >> >>the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I >> >>recall it being mentioned here -- did I >> >>fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, >> >>herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran >> >>Padana cheeses. >> >> >> >>It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it >> >>looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The >> >>shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of >> >>shallots is STRONG! I >> >>should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw >> >>onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) >> >>Dee Dee >> > >> > >> > I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members >> > into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for >> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first. >> > >> > Kate >> >> I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard. > > Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to > be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole. > > Kate
"All the recipes I've seen for >> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first."
I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I
must've
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and baked for 2 hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. To expand upon this: Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of
leftover
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it yesterday in the bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the bread.] I took his
word
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
for it and acknowledged once more that I must be getting even more forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, there it was: my 1 cup of left-over ricotta; problem being, now I can't remember what I was going to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta for. GAWD! Dee Dee
A teensie ricotta cheesecake? :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿*
I'm headed for bed, so it might come to me when I wake up; or while I'm grocery shopping tomorrow. Snowed here in Virginia last night - about 3-4" on the ground, but back roads are clear. You remember that Ohio weather, don't you Wayne? Only too well. Dee Dee
Yes, only too well! Moving west was our deliverance! :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿* _____________________________________________
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:40:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 08:53:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
> > "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > news:[email hidden]... >> sarah bennett wrote: >>> >>> Kate Connally wrote: >>> > Dee Randall wrote: >>> > >>> >>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >>> >>Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna yesterday >>> >>(along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at 375 degrees >>> >>(accurate temperature) because it took it that long to cook. I >>> >>tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the temperature
of
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
>>> >>the lasagna at various places in the pan between 185 and 200. For >>> >>the first time ever, I used cooked chard instead of spinach as I >>> >>recall it being mentioned here -- did I >>> >>fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, >>> >>herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran >>> >>Padana cheeses. >>> >> >>> >>It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh it >>> >>looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted moldy. The >>> >>shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. This bag of >>> >>shallots is STRONG! I >>> >>should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put raw >>> >>onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the chard.) >>> >>Dee Dee >>> > >>> > >>> > I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members >>> > into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for >>> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first. >>> > >>> > Kate >>> >>> I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" chard. >> >> Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to >> be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole. >> >> Kate > > "All the recipes I've seen for >>> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first." > > I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I
must've
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> 'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and baked for 2 > hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. > To expand upon this: > Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of
leftover
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it yesterday in the > bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the bread.] I took his
word
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> for it and acknowledged once more that I must be getting even more > forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, there it was: my 1 cup of > left-over ricotta; problem being, now I can't remember what I was going > to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta for. GAWD! > Dee Dee
A teensie ricotta cheesecake? :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿*
I'm headed for bed, so it might come to me when I wake up; or while I'm grocery shopping tomorrow. Snowed here in Virginia last night - about 3-4" on the ground, but back roads are clear. You remember that Ohio weather, don't you Wayne? Only too well. Dee Dee
Yes, only too well! Moving west was our deliverance! :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿*
A night's sleep does wonders! It was a small order of stuffed shells that I was going to make with the left-over ricotta. My pot of water is still on the stove, so that was a big clue!
We'd be in Hidden Valley, AZ (probably) if we had moved to the southwest. I guess you might say it's an old-folks retirement city. Can't speak for it today, but in early 1990's, it seemed pretty good. Dee Dee
On Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:20:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:40:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]... > On Tue 06 Dec 2005 08:53:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee > Randall? > >> >> "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >> news:[email hidden]... >>> sarah bennett wrote: >>>> >>>> Kate Connally wrote: >>>> > Dee Randall wrote: >>>> > >>>> >>I bought a bag of French shallots at Costco and am USING them. >>>> >>Unfortunately I put 4 of them in my huge pan of lasagna >>>> >>yesterday (along with 4-5 garlic). The lasagna baked 2 hours at >>>> >>375 degrees (accurate temperature) because it took it that long >>>> >>to cook. I tented it for 1-1/2 hours. Thermapen registered the >>>> >>temperature of the lasagna at various places in the pan between >>>> >>185 and 200. For the first time ever, I used cooked chard >>>> >>instead of spinach as I recall it being mentioned here -- did I >>>> >>fantasize that -- tee hee? The rest of my lasagna was as usual, >>>> >>herbs, Red Pack tomato, ricotta, mozarella, Parmesan Regg & Gran >>>> >>Padana cheeses. >>>> >> >>>> >>It was the worse lasagna I've ever made. The chard was so fresh >>>> >>it looked like it came right from the garden, but it tasted >>>> >>moldy. The shallots were CRISPY and still were strong tasting. >>>> >>This bag of shallots is STRONG! I >>>> >>should've never put that many in. We swore we will never put >>>> >>raw onions/shallots in any baked dish again. (Also forget the >>>> >>chard.) Dee Dee >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > I can't imagine putting raw onion or onion family members >>>> > into a casserole like that. All the recipes I've seen for >>>> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first. >>>> > >>>> > Kate >>>> >>>> I woudl eat it. But I like raw onions and shallots and "rare" >>>> chard. >>> >>> Well, yeah, I like them raw in things where they're supposed to >>> be raw. I would not like them raw in a casserole. >>> >>> Kate >> >> "All the recipes I've seen for >>>> > that sort of thing call for cooking the onions first." >> >> I wasn't following a recipe. I've made lasagna for years, and I >> must've 'forgotten' that even though these shallots were MINCED and >> baked for 2 hours, they wouldn't get cooked thru. >> To expand upon this: >> Today I was kinda ticked because I couldn't find the one cup of >> leftover ricotta. DH said "Don't you remember that you used it >> yesterday in the bread." [I did use a half-cup of ricotta in the >> bread.] I took his word for it and acknowledged once more that I >> must be getting even more forgetful. When I was preparing dinner, >> there it was: my 1 cup of left-over ricotta; problem being, now I >> can't remember what I was going to use the 1-cup of leftover ricotta >> for. GAWD! Dee Dee > > > A teensie ricotta cheesecake? :-) > > -- > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
I'm headed for bed, so it might come to me when I wake up; or while I'm grocery shopping tomorrow. Snowed here in Virginia last night - about 3-4" on the ground, but back roads are clear. You remember that Ohio weather, don't you Wayne? Only too well. Dee Dee
Yes, only too well! Moving west was our deliverance! :-)
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿*
A night's sleep does wonders! It was a small order of stuffed shells that I was going to make with the left-over ricotta. My pot of water is still on the stove, so that was a big clue!
LOL!
Quoted message said:
We'd be in Hidden Valley, AZ (probably) if we had moved to the southwest. I guess you might say it's an old-folks retirement city. Can't speak for it today, but in early 1990's, it seemed pretty good. Dee Dee
I've never been there, but it's probably overrun by now, like so many places here in AZ. Although, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't still nice.
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿* _____________________________________________