Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

On or Off topic, and why feed the trolls?

Started by John Smith · · Last activity · 18 posts · 679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
16 October 2004
Last activity
1 November 2004
Original author
John Smith
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
679
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all,

    I have been a long time lurker of this group and I find that I can't
    keep quite any longer. It didn't take very long for me to put Mr. Dolan
    on my ignore list. I found most of his comments to be inflamitory and
    generally not condusive to to an open public forum like this.

    So I put him on my 'ignore' list. No more Mr. Dolan, my headache has
    been eliminated. He is still entitled to his opinion, I feel no need to
    flame him, but I would rather not read his discourse.

    BUT, it seems like a lot of people here are unable to stop feeding the
    trolls. So I end up reading most of Eds post because the people that
    are replying to him include his comments in their reply.

    My request to the group; If you do feel the need to continue reading
    and responding to Mr. Dolan's comments, could you please refrain from
    quoting him in your posts.

    In an attempt to get this forum back on topic and away from politics;

    I am still researching which 'bent I plan on buying, (Spring 2005 will
    be my purchase date) What Bike computer does everybody use, and what do
    you like/dislike about it?

  2. "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    I have been a long time lurker of this group and I find that I can't keep
    quite any longer. It didn't take very long for me to put Mr. Dolan on my
    ignore list. I found most of his comments to be inflamitory and generally
    not condusive to to an open public forum like this.

    One man's opinion - and that is all it is.

    Quoted message said:

    So I put him on my 'ignore' list. No more Mr. Dolan, my headache has been
    eliminated. He is still entitled to his opinion, I feel no need to flame
    him, but I would rather not read his discourse.

    Based on what he has said so far, the feeling is mutual, but I do not kill
    file anyone. That is the coward's way out.

    Quoted message said:

    BUT, it seems like a lot of people here are unable to stop feeding the
    trolls. So I end up reading most of Eds post because the people that are
    replying to him include his comments in their reply.

    My request to the group; If you do feel the need to continue reading and
    responding to Mr. Dolan's comments, could you please refrain from quoting
    him in your posts.

    Now this [censored], John Smith, really begins to [censored] me off. He is a g.d.
    controller who would destroy proper newsgroup posting just so he doesn't
    have to ever see anything I have written. This goes to the point that I have
    made many times before about kill filers: they are not just cowards, but
    scoundrels into the bargain. A pox on them and may they rot in Hell.

    The only question I have for this supreme [censored] who goes by the moniker of
    "John Smith" is how did you get to be such a namby-pamby? Were you born that
    way or did you have to work at it over the course of your miserable life.

    Quoted message said:

    In an attempt to get this forum back on topic and away from politics;

    I am still researching which 'bent I plan on buying, (Spring 2005 will be
    my purchase date) What Bike computer does everybody use, and what do you
    like/dislike about it?

    What a [censored] up stupid question! This moron would be a hundred times better
    off reading me even when I am off topic than asking the dumbest question
    ever asked on this group about [censored] stupid bike computers. There are
    literally hundreds of bike computers on the market and one is about as good
    or bad as another. But I know there will be all kinds of helpful numskulls
    here who will be delighted to take on this most stupid question ever asked
    on ARBR.

    John Smith, put on the dunce cap and go sit in the corner of the room facing
    the wall for being the dumbest [censored] who has yet posted to this group. That
    is no small accomplishment since you have had fierce competition for that
    honor over the years.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  3. Why?
    They need to be educated.
    Our resident troll needs a fresh, youthful view on life as his is old
    and crusty. He throws out his preposterous, old school comments in
    hopes of trading them in for new ones. While it's a hard pill for the
    troll to swallow he is still a keen learner.

  4. "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Why?
    They need to be educated.
    Our resident troll needs a fresh, youthful view on life as his is old
    and crusty. He throws out his preposterous, old school comments in
    hopes of trading them in for new ones. While it's a hard pill for the
    troll to swallow he is still a keen learner.

    Slugger should think about doing nothing but emails instead of bothering the
    rest of us on Usenet. He not only top posts, a major sin in itself, but he
    does not even include a hint of anything at all of what he might be
    referring to. Therefore, no one knows what he is talking about except
    possibly himself.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  5. I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.

  6. "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.

    You do nothing but top post and the subject heading is never enough to
    inform a reader of what the post is about. You are the dumbass, not me. But
    more importantly, you have no consideration for your readers. You are not
    worthy of Usenet.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  7. John Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    BUT, it seems like a lot of people here are unable to stop feeding the
    trolls. So I end up reading most of Eds post because the people that
    are replying to him include his comments in their reply.

    Have your newsreader filter on the References: header. I kill every
    article that has prairiewave.com in that header (or the From: header) and
    this newsgroup is so much more enjoyable. :-)

  8. Quoted message said:

    Have your newsreader filter on the References: header. I kill every
    article that has prairiewave.com in that header (or the From: header) and
    this newsgroup is so much more enjoyable. :-)

    Cool. Looks like I'll have to try using xnews since Agent doesn't let
    me filter on that field.

    Quoted message said:

    I am still researching which 'bent I plan on buying, (Spring 2005 will
    be my purchase date) What Bike computer does everybody use, and what do
    you like/dislike about it?

    I have a "Sigma Sport BC800. It is pretty basic but has the functions
    I use: trip odometer, total odometer, maximum speed and a clock.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have your newsreader filter on the References: header. I kill every
    article that has prairiewave.com in that header (or the From: header) and
    this newsgroup is so much more enjoyable. :-)


    Excellent advice, I will give that a try too.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a "Sigma Sport BC800. It is pretty basic but has the functions
    I use: trip odometer, total odometer, maximum speed and a clock.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

    Thanks Mike,

    Does it also show your average speed over the last xx minutes?
    I have never used a computer, the last time I actually measured my
    biking speed was when I was in high school, and I had an analog
    speedometer. That was almost 15 years ago. I assume things have
    changed a little since then.

  10. "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have your newsreader filter on the References: header. I kill every
    article that has prairiewave.com in that header (or the From: header)


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this newsgroup is so much more enjoyable. :-)


    Excellent advice, I will give that a try too.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a "Sigma Sport BC800. It is pretty basic but has the functions
    I use: trip odometer, total odometer, maximum speed and a clock.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

    Thanks Mike,

    Does it also show your average speed over the last xx minutes?
    I have never used a computer, the last time I actually measured my
    biking speed was when I was in high school, and I had an analog
    speedometer. That was almost 15 years ago. I assume things have
    changed a little since then.

    Quite a bit but I haven't seen anything that will show your average speed
    over the last few minutes, might be better to get a GPS for that

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Edward Dolan

    Quoted message said:

    "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.

    You do nothing but top post and the subject heading is never enough to
    inform a reader of what the post is about. You are the dumbass, not me. But
    more importantly, you have no consideration for your readers. You are not
    worthy of Usenet.

    You've got me confused with someone else Ed. I'm not a top poster.
    Senility comes in many forms. Find one post of mine where i top
    posted.
    Usenet is more anarchic than you would like it to be.

  12. Mark Leuck said:

    Quite a bit but I haven't seen anything that will show your average speed
    over the last few minutes, might be better to get a GPS for that

    Well I am neither that desperate or that insane. Thanks for the reply
    though.

  13. "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Leuck said:

    Quite a bit but I haven't seen anything that will show your average


    speed

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    over the last few minutes, might be better to get a GPS for that

    Well I am neither that desperate or that insane. Thanks for the reply
    though.

    Nothing insane or desperate about it, while I have a standard Cateye
    speedometer I usually carry a Garmin E-Map GPS to keep a record of the ride,
    its fun going back through the files seeing how much faster I got over time
    and on some trips it has been invaluable figuring out where to go

  14. Mark Leuck said:

    Nothing insane or desperate about it, while I have a standard Cateye
    speedometer I usually carry a Garmin E-Map GPS to keep a record of the ride,
    its fun going back through the files seeing how much faster I got over time
    and on some trips it has been invaluable figuring out where to go

    I never even thought of that kind of application, I can see how that
    could be usefull.

  15. "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Leuck said:

    Nothing insane or desperate about it, while I have a standard Cateye
    speedometer I usually carry a Garmin E-Map GPS to keep a record of the


    ride,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    its fun going back through the files seeing how much faster I got over


    time

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and on some trips it has been invaluable figuring out where to go

    I never even thought of that kind of application, I can see how that
    could be usefull.

    It's also invaluable to me in many instances especially when navigating
    areas I do not know much about, one thing to consider if you buy a Garmin is
    the maps available in my opinion flat out suck with what seems like 10 year
    old data which is fine for navigating older roads but lousy for many roads
    in my area that aren't that old. While you can update them from Garmin's
    website (at $75 a pop) the information on the new maps isn't much better
    than what I have now

    Not quite as good as a paper map but close

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Slugger

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Edward Dolan

    Quoted message said:

    "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.

    You do nothing but top post and the subject heading is never enough to
    inform a reader of what the post is about. You are the dumbass, not me. But
    more importantly, you have no consideration for your readers. You are not
    worthy of Usenet.

    You've got me confused with someone else Ed. I'm not a top poster.
    Senility comes in many forms. Find one post of mine where i top
    posted.
    Usenet is more anarchic than you would like it to be.

    Ed had again demonstrated how to be a troll. Yet still hasn't
    demonstrated why. I think he's lonely.

  17. "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Slugger

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Edward Dolan

    Quoted message said:

    "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    > response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.

    You do nothing but top post and the subject heading is never enough to
    inform a reader of what the post is about. You are the dumbass, not me.
    But
    more importantly, you have no consideration for your readers. You are
    not
    worthy of Usenet.

    You've got me confused with someone else Ed. I'm not a top poster.
    Senility comes in many forms. Find one post of mine where i top
    posted.
    Usenet is more anarchic than you would like it to be.

    Ed had again demonstrated how to be a troll. Yet still hasn't
    demonstrated why. I think he's lonely.

    I do not bother to try to psychoanalyze anyone. I just call them stupid dumb
    asses and let it go at that.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, Edward Dolan

    Quoted message said:

    "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Slugger

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Edward Dolan
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > "Slugger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > >I don't top post and the subject heading is enough information for a
    > > response. I didn't include any of your post for a reason, dumbass.
    >
    > You do nothing but top post and the subject heading is never enough to
    > inform a reader of what the post is about. You are the dumbass, not me.
    > But
    > more importantly, you have no consideration for your readers. You are
    > not
    > worthy of Usenet.

    You've got me confused with someone else Ed. I'm not a top poster.
    Senility comes in many forms. Find one post of mine where i top
    posted.
    Usenet is more anarchic than you would like it to be.

    Ed had again demonstrated how to be a troll. Yet still hasn't
    demonstrated why. I think he's lonely.

    I do not bother to try to psychoanalyze anyone. I just call them stupid dumb
    asses and let it go at that.

    Yet again Ed has demonstrated how to be a lonely old troll.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.