Road Cycling · Public discussion

On line parts for older bikes ?

Started by Bob · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,298 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 June 2004
Last activity
22 June 2004
Original author
Bob
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,298
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an
    older Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not
    the liquid, tape is so much better when you get an "on the
    road" flat. ).

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump, if I could
    locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods,
    original full shoes) that would be great.

    A supplier who still carries upper level French and other
    European components would be a big plus for me. (Nothing
    against Japanese parts, it just that I'm trying to keep this
    bike as pure 70's European as I can).

    Thanks,

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Bob

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not
    the liquid, tape is so much better when you get an "on the
    road" flat. ).

    I can find tubulars at my local shops, but I'm pretty sure Harris Cyclery (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris) and Nashbar have them.

    Quoted post said:


    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump,

    If you are willing to get a plastic one, they're everywhere. I can't find a metal one; I broke a friend's pump and owe him one.

    Quoted post said:


    if I could
    locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods,
    original full shoes) that would be great.

    http://www.bikeville.com/brakes.html

    Never bought from them, but they showed up in google.

  3. Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an
    older Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not
    the liquid, tape is so much better when you get an "on the
    road" flat. ).

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump, if I could
    locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods,
    original full shoes) that would be great.

    A supplier who still carries upper level French and other
    European components would be a big plus for me. (Nothing
    against Japanese parts, it just that I'm trying to keep
    this bike as pure 70's European as I can).

    Thanks,

    bikeville.comforsale.html

    bicycletrader.combicycletrader.com

  4. Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an
    older Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    This is a question better asked on the classicrendezvous
    email list. See: classicrendezvous.commain.htm

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
    home.earthlink.net~jeverett3

  5. Quoted message said:

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not
    the liquid, tape is so much better when you get an "on the
    road" flat. ).

    Tubulars are a PITA, IMHO. You are going to need to have
    glue and spare tubies if you get a flat on the road.

    Quoted message said:

    I can find tubulars at my local shops, but I'm pretty sure
    Harris Cyclery (sheldonbrown.comharris) and Nashbar
    have them.

    Get the cheap Vittorias as you will not cry when you flat.

    The first time you try to patch them, you are either going
    to learn patience or you are going to chuck them.

    Quoted message said:

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump,

    That is recommended. But if you think you're going to get
    off easy with tubulars, think again.

    Quoted message said:

    ...if I could locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber
    lever hoods, original full shoes) that would be great.

    Relatively easy to find. But the Kool-Stop pads work
    better than the vintage pads, and they'll work fine on the
    older brakes.

    Scott-Mathauser pads are still available with a little
    searching, they were the standard back in the day.

    It really depends on whether you want to do a full working
    period correct rebuild or just want to ride the bike.

    geocities.compx10.ht
    ml

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY
    MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------ __________306.350.357.38-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden]__________

  6. Here are 2 suppliers that are widely used:
    secure.netonline.nlrenaissance cycles
    bicycleclassics.combicycleclassics.com

    Enjoy! Len

    "John Everett" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an
    older Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    This is a question better asked on the classicrendezvous
    email list. See: classicrendezvous.commain.htm

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
    home.earthlink.net~jeverett3

  7. Leonard Diamond said:

    Here are 2 suppliers that are widely used: secure.netonline.nlrenaissance
    cycles/ bicycleclassics.combicycleclassics.com

    Thanks for all the links in this thread boys, mucho
    appreciated!

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.