Road Cycling · Public discussion

On line parts for older bikes ?

Started by Bob · · Last activity · 7 posts · 400 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 June 2004
Last activity
22 June 2004
Original author
Bob
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
400
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an older
    Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not the liquid,
    tape is so much better when you get an "on the road" flat. ).

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump, if I could locate some
    Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods, original full shoes) that
    would be great.

    A supplier who still carries upper level French and other European
    components would be a big plus for me. (Nothing against Japanese
    parts, it just that I'm trying to keep this bike as pure 70's
    European as I can).

    Thanks,

  2. Bob said:

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not the liquid,
    tape is so much better when you get an "on the road" flat. ).
    I can find tubulars at my local shops, but I'm pretty sure Harris
    Cyclery (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris) and Nashbar have them.
    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump,
    If you are willing to get a plastic one, they're everywhere. I can't
    find a metal one; I broke a friend's pump and owe him one.
    if I could locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods,
    original full shoes) that would be great.

    http://www.bikeville.com/brakes.html

    Never bought from them, but they showed up in google.

    --

  3. Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an older
    Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not the liquid,
    tape is so much better when you get an "on the road" flat. ).

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump, if I could locate some
    Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods, original full shoes) that
    would be great.

    A supplier who still carries upper level French and other European
    components would be a big plus for me. (Nothing against Japanese
    parts, it just that I'm trying to keep this bike as pure 70's
    European as I can).

    Thanks,

    http://www.bikeville.com/forsale.html

    http://www.bicycletrader.com/

  4. Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an older
    Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    This is a question better asked on the classicrendezvous email list.
    See: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/main.htm

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  5. Quoted message said:

    I need tubular tires, I'd love to find some rim tape (not the liquid,
    tape is so much better when you get an "on the road" flat. ).

    Tubulars are a PITA, IMHO. You are going to need to have glue and
    spare tubies if you get a flat on the road.

    Quoted message said:

    I can find tubulars at my local shops, but I'm pretty sure Harris
    Cyclery (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris) and Nashbar have them.

    Get the cheap Vittorias as you will not cry when you flat.

    The first time you try to patch them, you are either going to learn
    patience or you are going to chuck them.

    Quoted message said:

    I need a new full size (Zefal?) frame pump,

    That is recommended. But if you think you're going to get off easy
    with tubulars, think again.

    Quoted message said:

    ...if I could locate some Weinnman brake parts (rubber lever hoods,
    original full shoes) that would be great.

    Relatively easy to find. But the Kool-Stop pads work better than
    the vintage pads, and they'll work fine on the older brakes.

    Scott-Mathauser pads are still available with a little searching,
    they were the standard back in the day.

    It really depends on whether you want to do a full working period
    correct rebuild or just want to ride the bike.

    http://www.geocities.com/cochise_20009/features/px10.html

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  6. Here are 2 suppliers that are widely used:
    https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/renaissance-cycles/
    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/

    Enjoy!
    Len

    "John Everett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bob said:

    I'm looking for a place to buy some parts on-line (for an older
    Raleigh road racing bike, circa 1972).

    This is a question better asked on the classicrendezvous email list.
    See: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/main.htm

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  7. Leonard Diamond said:

    Here are 2 suppliers that are widely used:
    https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/renaissance-cycles/
    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/

    Thanks for all the links in this thread boys, mucho appreciated!

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.