Road Cycling · Public discussion

On-bike nutrition advice sought

Started by Dave Stallard · · Last activity · 16 posts · 775 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 July 2004
Last activity
4 August 2004
Original author
Dave Stallard
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
775
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.
    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most
    difficult moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100 calorie
    GU gel pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by probably 40-60
    ounces of regular water.

    Questions: Am I eating enough?

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Dave

  2. Quoted message said:

    Subject: On-bike nutrition advice sought
    From: Dave Stallard [email hidden]
    Date: 7/20/2004 7:23 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.
    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most
    difficult moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100 calorie
    GU gel pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by probably 40-60
    ounces of regular water.

    Questions: Am I eating enough?

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Dave

    I ride for 2-4 hours and never eat and barely drink Compared to whay I read
    other people need. My rides are anywhere from 20-50 miles. Seems like you
    should be able to make it. Once in awhile I might bring a banana or a piece of
    jerky.
    I eat and drink when I get back....

  3. Dave Stallard wrote:
    || I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but
    || hit the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my
    || legs, feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same
    || places I did the last time, and not even steep hills.

    How much do you weigh? How did you recover from the bonk - did you start
    eating in response to this feeling? From teh sounds of it, I'm wondering if
    you really bonked. You said you finished strongly, so you obviously
    recovered. What you ate below doesn't sound as if it would have helped you
    recover to finish strong from a bonk.

    ||
    || I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste
    || of Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.
    || Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated
    || "Ice Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one
    || most difficult moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100
    || calorie GU gel pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by
    || probably 40-60 ounces of regular water.

    That seems reasonable to me. But you may want to get more carbs before your
    ride that will help prevent the bonk and your on-bike food should keep
    energy levels up. You didn't mention what you ate and drank BEFORE your
    ride.

    ||
    || Questions: Am I eating enough?
    ||
    || Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something
    || that digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like
    || the GUs too much).

    I take glucose tablets with me along with a Balance bar. I also drink
    gatoraid.

    ||
    || Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if
    || food was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more
    || regularly during the ride.)
    ||
    || Dave

  4. "Dave Stallard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.
    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most
    difficult moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100 calorie
    GU gel pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by probably 40-60
    ounces of regular water.

    Questions: Am I eating enough?

    Sounds like about 1,000 calories, which seems reasonable for a ride that long.
    Your initial glycogen reserves should be good for 60-70 miles at a very hard
    pace (even longer for slower pace). After that, 500 calories/hr is about
    right. I don't think you "bonked", your legs just got tired, bonking is quite
    different, if you had, you'd remember it for a long time.

    Quoted message said:

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif?

    Probably the wrapper it comes in.

    Quoted message said:

    I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    "Glycogen index" is a measure of how fast foods come online. Basically, you
    want to eat an "anti-Atkins" diet. PB&J works well, as do virtually all the
    non-greasy snack foods.

    Quoted message said:

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Rear jersey pockets work to some extent, but for very long rides I use a small
    bag that straps under my aerobars. Cutting up PB&J's works.

  5. "Fx199" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: On-bike nutrition advice sought
    From: Dave Stallard [email hidden]
    Date: 7/20/2004 7:23 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    [snip]

    I ride for 2-4 hours and never eat and barely drink Compared to whay I


    read

    Quoted message said:

    other people need. My rides are anywhere from 20-50 miles. Seems like you
    should be able to make it. Once in awhile I might bring a banana or a


    piece of

    Quoted message said:

    jerky.
    I eat and drink when I get back....

    In my experience, 90 miles is completely different from 50 miles. It took
    me a fifty mile ride before I even understood what bike shorts were for! I
    could go 50 miles without eating, but I could not have a successful 90 mile
    ride without anything. I doubt a banana or jerky would be very good in-ride
    fuel for me. Powerbars work, but taste nasty. There's a pretty good deli
    34 miles down the trail, which works as long as I don't have too much at
    once.

    --
    +---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
    | Engineer, Boeing, StL | _____|_^_|_____
    | Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

  6. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:23:31 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    There are thousands of recipes for energy bars, gels, and other
    portable foods. A homemade food may be easier on your stomach; if
    not, you can adjust the recipe until it is.

    Quoted message said:

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Scroll down to the bottom and read at:
    groups.google.com/groups?q=&selm=10ent8g9p93gud9%40corp.supernews.com
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. I forgot to mention in my last reply: Applesauce [including
    "natural" versions without lots of added ingredients] comes in
    single-serving packages. It should digest easily, unless you're
    sensitive to acid. It ought to provide quick energy.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  8. I generally aim for around 200 calories per hour (50 calories every 15
    minutes), and you'd be pretty close to that on your ride. If your stomach
    isn't tolerating the clif bars, it may be that you're eating too much at
    once, you're working too hard to be able to digest much of anything, or they
    just don't agree with you. I'd suggest trying some other bars.

    Given that it's summertime, it may be that you're down on electrolytes. On
    one of my long rides last month, I happened to buy a package of beef jerky
    (over a gram of sodium), and felt much better later in that ride. I'd
    suggest exploring something like that, given the amount of water you're
    drinking.

    It's possible you bonked lightly, but my experience in that is that it takes
    a long time to recover (ie days, not minutes)

    --
    Eric Gunnerson

    Visit the C# product team at http://www.csharp.net
    Eric's blog is at http://weblogs.asp.net/ericgu/

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    "Dave Stallard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.
    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most
    difficult moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100 calorie
    GU gel pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by probably 40-60
    ounces of regular water.

    Questions: Am I eating enough?

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Dave

  9. Rick Onanian said:

    I forgot to mention in my last reply: Applesauce [including
    "natural" versions without lots of added ingredients] comes in
    single-serving packages. It should digest easily, unless you're
    sensitive to acid. It ought to provide quick energy.

    Aye, and if you ARE sensitive to acid, it's a quick way to agony. Nothing
    like heartburn to ruin a good ride.

    Although, one 'Pepcid Complete' prior to a ride will stop/cure that better
    than anything else I've found (and works for 24 hours as well.)

    Regards,
    H.

  10. Eric Gunnerson said:

    I generally aim for around 200 calories per hour (50 calories every 15
    minutes), and you'd be pretty close to that on your ride. If your stomach
    isn't tolerating the clif bars, it may be that you're eating too much at
    once, you're working too hard to be able to digest much of anything, or
    they
    just don't agree with you. I'd suggest trying some other bars.

    200 calories per hour? I average about 100 or less calories per hour.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  11. Bob in CT said:

    200 calories per hour? I average about 100 or less calories per hour.

    It takes a while to figure out how many calories you need. Eat too
    much, and you'll get stomach distress, nausea, gas, and maybe even
    vomiting. Eat too little, and you'll bonk.

    Food requirement depends somewhat on how you ride: average heart
    rate, average cadence, etc.. I bonked recently at 6.5 hours into a
    mountain bike ride, when I had been consuming 100 cal/hr. I'd been
    riding in zone 3 (about 75% of max heart rate) for over 3 hours
    straight. From what I've read, zone 3 riding can wipe out your
    glycogen stores in as little as 2 hours. Lesson learned.

    An emergency hit of Hammer Gel revived me in about 15 minutes. From
    now on, I'm shooting for 200 calories per hour on all but short
    rides.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  12. --
    Eric Gunnerson

    Visit the C# product team at http://www.csharp.net
    Eric's blog is at http://weblogs.asp.net/ericgu/

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    "Bob in CT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Eric Gunnerson said:

    I generally aim for around 200 calories per hour (50 calories every 15
    minutes), and you'd be pretty close to that on your ride. If your


    stomach

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    isn't tolerating the clif bars, it may be that you're eating too much at
    once, you're working too hard to be able to digest much of anything, or
    they
    just don't agree with you. I'd suggest trying some other bars.

    200 calories per hour? I average about 100 or less calories per hour.

    Yep. But I generally do my long rides early in the morning, so I haven't
    really had breakfast. I'll have something (a banana, some fruit), and then
    I'll start eating after 30 minutes on the bike. It changes based on where I
    am in the ride - I tend to be closer to 400 calories in the first couple of
    hours, and then I drop down after that. I probably eat less than 200 on the
    last hour.

  13. Dave,
    You did not eat enough for a 90 mile ride.

    First, you can digest 3 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body
    weight per hour, without slowing down peak athletic performance. Carbs
    need to be matched to water best in a 6% to 8% ratio also to avoid
    cramping, certainly thicker than 10% will slow you down.
    The best way to do this is drink enough sports drink to get 3 grams
    of carbs per hour per pound of body weight. There are lots of ways to
    get carbs, but sports drinks are already in the optimum ratio and have
    electrolytes.
    Second, adding protein to a sport drink does increase endurance even
    more:

    my.webmd.com100586.htm

    If your 90 mile ride is not a competitive race, drink Endurox R4 for
    lunch (rest for 45 minutes), and also right at the end of the ride.

    Cheers,
    Bruce Freeburger
    www.BIKESonTV.com

    Dave Stallard said:

    I did a 90 mile ride on Saturday. I finished pretty strongly, but hit
    the bonk in a couple of places in the middle - no power in my legs,
    feeling unequal to any gradient, etc. Strangely, the same places I did
    the last time, and not even steep hills.

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling. Towards
    the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most difficult
    moment. Total for the ride: 2.5 Clif bars, one 100 calorie GU gel
    pack, and 40 ounces of Powerade, supplemented by probably 40-60 ounces
    of regular water.

    Questions: Am I eating enough?

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Does anybody use one of those "musette" bags for food? (I bet if food
    was easier to reach, in smaller bites, I would eat more regularly during
    the ride.)

    Dave

  14. I've a fair bit of experience with unsupported ultra-long rides (200
    miles+/400 kms) ; I find the camelbacks filled with water are great
    for such rides; you can fill them right up with water and have a nice
    constant supply for your ride; on my bike I'll carry 2 bottles of
    water with extra-concentration of gatorade mix powder in them. I find
    riding on an empty stomache works best for me with lots of water and
    concentrated gatorade. I don't really suffer from hunger although I
    will sometimes fantasize about whats in the fridge when I get home. It
    works for me because the water and gatorade can get quickly into my
    system when I need it, I don't get cramps and my breathing is not
    hindered as when I have food in there. I found that energy bars etc.
    don't hit the spot and in fact make me feel more hungry and tired. I
    do most of my long rides on hot days, cold days you don't need to as
    much water and should have some quick energy handy to stave off the
    cold (eg a chocolate bar). I try not to stop at all- except at lights
    or for a pee. It can be hard to get going after stoping to fix a flat
    or a mech- but I make sure to take the time to ensure the job is done
    right.If I am dying on the final run home (last 2 hrs ) I'll run into
    a 7-11 and get a Big Gulp full of pepsi & ice- pour that in my water
    bottle- shake- de-fizz it and drink real fast. The next 40 min or so
    I'm like a rocket then I'm close enough to home.

    "Eric Gunnerson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Eric Gunnerson

    Visit the C# product team at http://www.csharp.net
    Eric's blog is at http://weblogs.asp.net/ericgu/

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    "Bob in CT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Eric Gunnerson said:

    I generally aim for around 200 calories per hour (50 calories every 15
    minutes), and you'd be pretty close to that on your ride. If your


    stomach

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    isn't tolerating the clif bars, it may be that you're eating too much at
    once, you're working too hard to be able to digest much of anything, or
    they
    just don't agree with you. I'd suggest trying some other bars.

    200 calories per hour? I average about 100 or less calories per hour.

    Yep. But I generally do my long rides early in the morning, so I haven't
    really had breakfast. I'll have something (a banana, some fruit), and then
    I'll start eating after 30 minutes on the bike. It changes based on where I
    am in the ride - I tend to be closer to 400 calories in the first couple of
    hours, and then I drop down after that. I probably eat less than 200 on the
    last hour.

  15. Dave Stallard said:

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.

    I hear you. While I don't have any problems with Clif bars per se
    (they're much yummier than the gooey PowerBars), long rides tend to make
    me lose my appetite, sometimes to the point where I can't eat much of
    anything.

    Quoted message said:

    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Have you tried Clif Shot gel packs? I haven't tried GU, so I can't
    compare, but I find Clif Shots (which are made of brown rice syrup)
    quite easy to stomach. Two weeks ago, I was riding under the hot
    afternoon sun, tired, hadn't eaten much, and past the point where even
    nibbling on a Clif bar was too much for me. Yet I was able to sip on
    one or two Clif Shots.

    (Some flavors also come with caffeine -- strawberry and mocha, I think.)

    Of course, the downside is that these things cost more money than bars
    (which themselves cost more money than snacks, so it's all relative).
    And you need to wash them down, which can be annoying when you've
    already used up your water.

    (Oh, and I also learned that carrying used wrappers next to your maps
    in your handlebar bag can be messy.)
    --
    Frederic Briere <*> [email hidden]

    => <[email hidden]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

  16. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: On-bike nutrition advice sought
    From: Frederic Briere [email hidden]
    Date: 8/3/2004 7:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    Dave Stallard said:

    I take Clif bars and Powerade in my water bottle. I love the taste of
    Clif bars, but they don't sit well in my stomache while cycling.

    I hear you. While I don't have any problems with Clif bars per se
    (they're much yummier than the gooey PowerBars), long rides tend to make
    me lose my appetite, sometimes to the point where I can't eat much of
    anything.

    Quoted message said:

    Towards the end of the ride, I'll step up to one of the caffeinated "Ice
    Series" Clif bars. I also use a GU gel pack for that one most

    Are there more digestible bars than Clif? I really want something that
    digests and comes online as soon as possible. (I don't like the GUs too
    much).

    Have you tried Clif Shot gel packs? I haven't tried GU, so I can't
    compare, but I find Clif Shots (which are made of brown rice syrup)
    quite easy to stomach. Two weeks ago, I was riding under the hot
    afternoon sun, tired, hadn't eaten much, and past the point where even
    nibbling on a Clif bar was too much for me. Yet I was able to sip on
    one or two Clif Shots.

    (Some flavors also come with caffeine -- strawberry and mocha, I think.)

    Of course, the downside is that these things cost more money than bars
    (which themselves cost more money than snacks, so it's all relative).
    And you need to wash them down, which can be annoying when you've
    already used up your water.

    (Oh, and I also learned that carrying used wrappers next to your maps
    in your handlebar bag can be messy.)
    --
    Frederic Briere <*> [email hidden]

    => <[email hidden]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

    Some people carry honey flasks...all natural and probably cheaper.

    I prefer some jerky, banana or dried fruit. Maybe even a peanut butter
    sandwich.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.