Road Cycling · Public discussion

Old steel vs. new aluminum

Started by Beans Baxter · · Last activity · 25 posts · 2,793 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
3 June 2004
Original author
Beans Baxter
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,793
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thanks to everybody that helped me out with my question
    about upgrading a Panasonic DX-4000. I have another question
    related to that bike. I have the opportunity to purchase a
    used Trek 1000 and I was wondering what people's opinion of
    the two frames are.

    For those of you unfamilar with the Panasonic, it's a lugged
    frame made with Tange 2 double-butted tubing. The Trek 1000
    is a year 2000 model aluminum frame. Thanks for your help.

    Beans Baxter

  2. "Beans Baxter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks to everybody that helped me out with my question
    about upgrading a Panasonic DX-4000. I have another
    question related to that bike. I have the opportunity to
    purchase a used Trek 1000 and I was wondering what
    people's opinion of the two frames are.

    For those of you unfamilar with the Panasonic, it's a
    lugged frame made with Tange 2 double-butted tubing. The
    Trek 1000 is a year 2000 model aluminum frame. Thanks for
    your help.

    Beans Baxter

    My opinion is to go with the steel frame. I would worry
    about the life span of the Aluminium frame frame. Also
    narrower tubes are generally more aero than fat tubes. The
    Aluminium frame is probably a bit lighter but I know that
    overall the weight difference is not significant. (For
    example I would be better off not eating chips and
    drinking beer.)

    Marty

  3. If the trek is cheap and it fits buy it. However you will be
    more comfy riding the panasonic. I have a DX3000 and loved
    riding it. It is now my errand bike meaning if it gets
    stolen I wont be committed to an asylum. For long fast rides
    I use my Lemond also steel as it is lighter and just as
    comfortable.

    Quoted message said:

    me out with my question about upgrading a Panasonic DX-
    4000. I have another question related to that bike. I have
    the opportunity to purchase a used Trek 1000 and I was
    wondering what people's opinion

  4. Beans Baxter said:

    Thanks to everybody that helped me out with my question
    about upgrading a Panasonic DX-4000. I have another
    question related to that bike. I have the opportunity to
    purchase a used Trek 1000 and I was wondering what people's
    opinion of the two frames are.

    For those of you unfamilar with the Panasonic, it's a
    lugged frame made with Tange 2 double-butted tubing. The
    Trek 1000 is a year 2000 model aluminum frame. Thanks for
    your help.

    Beans Baxter

    As others have said, hard to compare them. Both are
    nice bikes.

    Geometry and fitting will be the big differences. I have
    one bike with tight angles- probably similar to the
    Trek. And one with more relaxed angles- probably similar
    to the Panasonic. They ride differently. The tight one
    is zippy and twitchy and fun. The relaxed one is steady
    and smooth and fun.

    Depending on my mood and where I am riding, I'll use either
    bike. When I have had either one off the road, I am happy
    with the one that works, and yet I miss riding the other
    one. If the Trek feels good and you have money and room for
    two bikes, get it? You can always sell one or the other
    later if need be.

  5. Quoted message said:

    My opinion is to go with the steel frame. I would worry
    about the life


    span

    Quoted message said:

    of the Aluminium frame frame. Also narrower tubes are
    generally more aero than fat tubes. The Aluminium frame is
    probably a bit lighter but I know that overall the weight
    difference is not significant. (For example I


    would

    Quoted message said:

    be better off not eating chips and drinking beer.)

    Marty

    Fear of life span is unwarrented. Both frames are designed
    to similar risk standards, regardless of material. I'd
    expect either to last more than 50,000 km unless you do lots
    of pogo jumping (which isn't a common use for a road frame).

    Bruce

  6. "Bruce Frech" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My opinion is to go with the steel frame. I would worry
    about the life


    span

    Quoted message said:

    of the Aluminium frame frame. Also narrower tubes are
    generally more


    aero

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    than fat tubes. The Aluminium frame is probably a bit
    lighter but I know that overall the weight difference is
    not significant. (For example I


    would

    Quoted message said:

    be better off not eating chips and drinking beer.)

    Marty

    Fear of life span is unwarrented. Both frames are designed
    to similar


    risk

    Quoted message said:

    standards, regardless of material. I'd expect either to
    last more than 50,000 km unless you do lots of pogo
    jumping (which isn't a common use for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    road frame).

    Bruce


    They may be designed to similar risk standards but from my
    own observations I've seen more Aluminium frames fail than
    steel frames. I'm not knocking Aluminium frames but just
    drawing conclusions from what I've seen.

    Marty

  7. Beans Baxter said:

    Thanks to everybody that helped me out with my question
    about upgrading a Panasonic DX-4000. I have another
    question related to that bike. I have the opportunity to
    purchase a used Trek 1000 and I was wondering what people's
    opinion of the two frames are.

    Noticeable differences will result from geometry and
    componentry. Material is an immaterial concern (eh?).
    --
    Rick Onanian

  8. maxo said:

    The Panasonic's going to be slightly more shock
    absorbent than the Trek--not tons, the Trek's ride is
    pretty nice--but if you ride on bumpy pavement you'll
    probably like it better.

    If you ride on bumpy pavement a lot, the frame is not what
    you should change. Instead, change to fatter tires and shock
    absorbing seatpost and stem.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  9. Steel or Aluminum; Boxers or Briefs; Bikini or Thong. It's
    so personal, only you can decide which you prefer...
    Personally, I don't like the way Aluminum bikes ride; feel
    dead to me. Steel much better, plus steel w/lug construction
    = old school. Old School good.

    Beans Baxter said:

    Thanks to everybody that helped me out with my question
    about upgrading a Panasonic DX-4000. I have another
    question related to that bike. I have the opportunity to
    purchase a used Trek 1000 and I was wondering what
    people's opinion of the two frames are.

    For those of you unfamilar with the Panasonic, it's a
    lugged frame made with Tange 2 double-butted tubing. The
    Trek 1000 is a year 2000 model aluminum frame. Thanks for
    your help.

    Beans Baxter

    --
    Tp,

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

    No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

  10. "TomP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Steel or Aluminum; Boxers or Briefs; Bikini or Thong. It's
    so personal, only you can decide which you prefer...
    Personally, I don't like the way Aluminum bikes ride; feel
    dead to me. Steel much better, plus steel w/lug
    construction = old school. Old School good.

    Top posting bad.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  11. DRS said:

    Top posting bad.

    folks with nothing better to do than point that out:

    worse.

    😄

  12. "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    DRS said:

    Top posting bad.

    folks with nothing better to do than point that out:

    worse.

    Rubbish. If nothing is said then how will the children
    learn?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  13. Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    "DRS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    DRS said:

    Top posting bad.

    folks with nothing better to do than point that out:

    worse.

    Rubbish. If nothing is said then how will the
    children learn?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  14. "F1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    Nobody mentioned the TOS, moron.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    F1 said:

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...


    Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
    cs.tut.fibrox.html

    Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
    caliburn.nltopposting.html

    blakjak.demon.co.ukgey stv0.htm

    fscked.co.uktop posting cuss.html

    Wade your way through even one of those and then come back
    an try to convince me that top-posting has any advantages to
    the reader.

    Mark

    - --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.4
    (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFAvqJDLVmEOl6/PWERArqRAKC4lE3impNCjrZBIUhXeswnNztqwgC-
    fTX7j 7pR4eHCC9gpI7JYFwAU5byY= =nzAN -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  16. Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:38:41 +1000, <[email hidden]>,

    DRS said:

    "F1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:0_-dnVeo_Pyt_SPdRVn-
    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    Nobody mentioned the TOS, moron.

    Google Duel!

    top posting bad (310) top posting sucks (46) top posting
    wrong (19) top posting moron (17) top posting idiot (8) top
    posting [censored] (3) top posting good (3)

    googleduel.comoriginal.php
    --
    zk

  17. This reminds me of the Jeopardy TV show where you have to
    come up with the question to which the subject is the
    answer. There would be nothing to that show if top posting
    were logical. That's why the program has a challenging
    interest. It is a classic of top posting.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    F1 said:

    "DRS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 07:44:27 +1000, DRS wrote:

    > Top posting bad.

    folks with nothing better to do than point that out:

    worse.

    Rubbish. If nothing is said then how will the children
    learn?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    Look, dude, there are no "terms of service" for Usenet.
    It's etiquette, pure and simple, like not slurping your
    soup at lunch. Nobody's going to kick you out for either
    behaviour, but don't be surprised if nobody wants to talk
    to you, either.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden]
    sfu.cawiredcola President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  19. F1 said:

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    Er...whose TOS?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  20. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    F1 said:

    Show me in the TOS where is says top posting is wrong...

    Er...whose TOS?

    Doofus -- don't you know TOS stands for The Original Series?
    (vs. TNG for The Next Generation, DS9 for Deep Space Nine,
    VOY for Voyager, and ENT for Enterprise).

    Clearly, the OP is one of those Trekkers who hold to TOS
    as the highest in the Star Trek universe, and doesn't want
    to have anything else from other series cloud
    Roddenberry's vision.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.