Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Old road bike (Peugeot) wheel question

Started by LanciaPaul · · Last activity · 10 posts · 4,281 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 September 2006
Last activity
20 October 2007
Original author
LanciaPaul
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,281
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought an old Peugeot (1985 ish) at a garage sale for $10. I really don't know a lot about bikes but I like French cars and could use some excercize so what the heck.

    I have fixed it up a little and have been riding it but I got a flat tire. Here is where the question comes in...

    There are two different size and style wheels on it and two matching tires that don't match either rim.

    The wheels:

    Front marked:
    ETRTO
    WEINMANN 2115
    622 X 15 DIN
    (ALLOY 700C)
    Made in USA

    Hub appears to be a Schwinn
    EXAGE HB-RM50

    Rear marked:
    WEINMANN
    613-630 / 27 x 1 . 1/4
    Made in Belgium

    hub marked
    Mallard 18 88

    Tires:
    Both marked 700 x 28C
    Both need to be replaced.

    The rear rim is cool looking with the tire off. It's sort of hollow inside. Spokes are magnetic.

    The front rim looks like every other rim I have seen.

    THE QUESTIONS:
    I want to fix this bike on the cheap but I will spend some money on it. Should I just keep the rims I have and buy two different tires or should I replace one of the rims? They both are fairly true.

    The rear rim says 1 1/4 on it but the rim is less than 1" wide. Do I really need to look for a 27 x 1-1/4" tire?

    If I really have to just biter the bullet and by two new rims and tires, what size should I get?

    What would this bike have had originally? It's not a PX10. From what I can figure out it is an entry level to mid level bike. White with orange graphics, carbolite forks and "HLE" construction...whatever that means.

    Any help appreciated!
    Paul

  2. See if the old tyre off the front will fit the rear rim before buying anything.

    If the rim widths internally are approximately the same, 13-17mm, then 23cX700 should fit both rims.

  3. gclark8 said:

    See if the old tyre off the front will fit the rear rim before buying anything.

    If the rim widths internally are approximately the same, 13-17mm, then 23cX700 should fit both rims.

    Nope, the rear is 27".

    27x1-1/4 is probably the maximum rec. tire size... any 27" tire will do. There are a bunch of reasons you may not want two different size tires, but you shouldn't have any problem finding tires to fit what you've got if your main objective is cheap.

  4. [font=MS Gothic]You have a 27" back wheel/rim and a 700c front rim/tire. They both take specific tires - a 27" and 700c for the rear/front respectively.[/font]
    [font=MS Gothic][/font]
    [font=MS Gothic]If you just have to buy one new rim + 2 new tires I suggest you replace the 27" rear as the 700c standard is more common nowadays.[/font]
    [font=MS Gothic][/font]
    [font=MS Gothic]BTW, your front hub is proly not a schwin exage but a shimano exage.[/font]

  5. LanciaPaul said:


    Tires:
    Both marked 700 x 28C

    The tubes might both be marked 700 X 28C as the tubes will stretch and could be interchangeable. The tires however are not... based on the other information you provided.

    Personally, unless there is something wrong with the wheels or rims, I would ride it as is, replacing both tires with tires where the same tube would fit so that you don't have to carry multiple spares (you do plan to carry a spare tube right?) Otherwise, you should be fine with the different wheels/tires as long as the brakes line up in both cases...

    EDIT: The above note on spare tube assumes that they are both using the same style of stem (Presta or Schraeder)

  6. Wow! Thanks for all the great replies, guys!
    While both tires were mounted on these two different rims I don't think I will replace them both with the same size. I will just get two new tires and tubes for each wheel.

    Of the two rims, the rear rim looks really cool (a dumb reason to like it I know) so I might try to find another one like it for the front. Too bad it's an old size.

    Oh...the front hub does say shimano all over it but there is also a yellow sticker that says Schwinn on it.

    Thanks again!

  7. LanciaPaul said:

    Wow! Thanks for all the great replies, guys!
    While both tires were mounted on these two different rims I don't think I will replace them both with the same size. I will just get two new tires and tubes for each wheel.

    Of the two rims, the rear rim looks really cool (a dumb reason to like it I know) so I might try to find another one like it for the front. Too bad it's an old size.

    Oh...the front hub does say shimano all over it but there is also a yellow sticker that says Schwinn on it.

    Thanks again!

    I realize this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd add something. The Weinmann 27x1-1/4 rim is almost certainly the original on a mid-80s Peugeot (especially since it has a French Maillard hub laced to it) so the frame was built to accept that size rim. If your brakes have enough pad adjustability, you may be able to use 700c rims on both wheels, which are 4mm smaller in radius, without replacing the brake calipers. As was previously noted, 700c is the current standard, and your choices for replacement rims and tires will be much better.

    On another note, if you still have the Weinmann rim, I could use one of those (if it's in good shape) to complete a pair for a wheelset I want to build for a restoration. If you're willing to sell it to me, I'd be interested in buying it.

  8. LanciaPaul said:

    II like French cars and could use some excercize so what the heck.


    You go by a handle of LanciaPaul, but you like French cars.

    That has to be some kind of heresy.

    (A committed Alfa Romeo fan.)

  9. By the way, the bike would be a 1988 or possibly 1989 model based on the rear hub markings. The "88" is the year of manufacture of the hub. I'm assuming, of course, that this is the original rear wheel, which seems likely.

  10. The Velocity Twin Hollow rim is supposed to look a lot like the Weinmann. You could get a 27 for the front or a 700 for the back.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.