Road Cycling · Public discussion

Odd commuter rig of the week

Started by Ryan Cousineau · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,059 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 November 2003
Last activity
3 December 2003
Original author
Ryan Cousineau
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,059
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pulled up to the bike rack at work today. A student, who I have chatted with, has her Rocky Mountain
    Turbo SC (top-of-the-line Ultegra "scandium" road bike) in the rack. Impressive, since it's below 0C
    that morning and we have the only two bikes in the lower rack.

    The wacky part was that she has a seatpost-mounted tail-rack/pannier frame on the bike. Not a common
    combo. But I have to hand it to her: she's a dedicated commuter.

    So, anyone else seen some incongruous commuter rigs?

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  2. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ... her Rocky Mountain Turbo SC (top-of-the-line Ultegra "scandium" road bike) in the rack.
    Impressive, since it's below 0C that morning and we have the only two bikes in the lower rack.

    The wacky part was that she has a seatpost-mounted tail-rack/pannier frame on the bike. Not a
    common combo. But I have to hand it to her: she's a dedicated commuter.

    Maybe not so wacky. The seatpost mounted racks can be removed quite quickly, and then you have a
    bike without the weight of the rack.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Pulled up to the bike rack at work today. A student, who I have chatted with, has her Rocky
    Mountain Turbo SC (top-of-the-line Ultegra "scandium" road bike) in the rack. Impressive, since
    it's below 0C that morning and we have the only two bikes in the lower rack.

    The wacky part was that she has a seatpost-mounted tail-rack/pannier frame on the bike. Not a
    common combo. But I have to hand it to her: she's a dedicated commuter.

    So, anyone else seen some incongruous commuter rigs?

    How about aero bars and disk wheel covers on the same bike as a kickstand, rack and fenders? That's
    my set up on a Fuji Touring.

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  4. David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
    : How about aero bars and disk wheel covers on the same bike as a kickstand, rack and fenders?
    : That's my set up on a Fuji Touring.

    d00d. k-kewl.

    what's with a disk wheel cover on a touring bike? the rest i get .. (well, i don't get the kickstand
    either but i'm willing to humour you).

    my commuter is a track bike with a Cateye 600 rear, an LED front, maybe a clip-on fender and a
    messenger bag. what's with you weirdos? some of your commuter bikes are heavier than my car.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  5. I like to pile the weight onto my commuter bike. The more the better. It's great practice, and it
    makes me stronger. Then, when I do a club ride on my lightweight racer, it feels so light it's
    almost like flying.

    David Reuteler said:

    what's with you weirdos? some of your
    commuter bikes are heavier than my car.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  6. Mike Kruger said:

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ... her Rocky Mountain Turbo SC (top-of-the-line Ultegra "scandium" road bike) in the rack.
    Impressive, since it's below 0C that morning and we have the only two bikes in the lower rack.

    The wacky part was that she has a seatpost-mounted tail-rack/pannier frame on the bike. Not a
    common combo. But I have to hand it to her: she's a dedicated commuter.

    Maybe not so wacky. The seatpost mounted racks can be removed quite quickly, and then you have a
    bike without the weight of the rack.

    My friends with folders couldn't live with out racks like that.

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email hidden] www.bridgetolls.org

  7. Quoted message said:

    what's with you weirdos? some of your commuter bikes are heavier than my car.

    Hyperbole.

    In my case, I have to carry a bunch of stuff. I can't easily go to the grocery store, etc. on a
    rackless fixie and expect to haul significant payload. Also, gears are nice when you are a tired old
    man that expects to get up that hill in the rain.

    Which brings me to my point. You do realize that those LED front lights and clip on fenders are
    junk, don't you?

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    So, anyone else seen some incongruous commuter rigs?

    Yeah, but they're all motor vehicles. Especially trucks that never really get put to work, and SUVs
    whose only cargo is a bag lunch.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

  9. Eric S. Sande said:
    Quoted message said:

    what's with you weirdos? some of your commuter bikes are heavier than my car.

    Hyperbole.

    In my case, I have to carry a bunch of stuff. I can't easily go to the grocery store, etc. on a
    rackless fixie and expect to haul significant payload. Also, gears are nice when you are a tired
    old man that expects to get up that hill in the rain.

    Which brings me to my point. You do realize that those LED front lights and clip on fenders are
    junk, don't you?

    The lights are great for city streets where you don't need them to see with, but only to be seen.

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email hidden] www.bridgetolls.org

  10. Eric S. Sande <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :>what's with you weirdos? some of your commuter bikes are heavier than my car.
    : Hyperbole.

    well, yea.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
    : How about aero bars and disk wheel covers on the same bike as a kickstand, rack and fenders?
    : That's my set up on a Fuji Touring.

    d00d. k-kewl.

    what's with a disk wheel cover on a touring bike? the rest i get .. (well,

    Just an experiment, actually. I don't intend to leave it on all the time; only when I'm riding in a
    local TT series. Reducing aero drag when riding into the wind will never hurt, though. Cross winds
    definitely aren't k-kewl with them on. I did a metric century yesterday with that get-up, just to
    see how it worked.

    Quoted message said:

    i don't get the kickstand either but i'm willing to humour you).

    Convenience when parking it in the garage is all. There's no space right against the wall
    to lean it.

    Quoted message said:

    my commuter is a track bike with a Cateye 600 rear, an LED front, maybe a clip-on fender and a
    messenger bag. what's with you weirdos? some of your commuter bikes are heavier than my car.

    The extra weight gives me a better climbing workout on less of a hill, and then when I strip off all
    the extra stuff, I feel really fast all of a sudden.

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  12. In article said:

    Pulled up to the bike rack at work today. A student, who I have chatted with, has her Rocky
    Mountain Turbo SC (top-of-the-line Ultegra "scandium" road bike) in the rack. Impressive, since
    it's below 0C that morning and we have the only two bikes in the lower rack.

    The wacky part was that she has a seatpost-mounted tail-rack/pannier frame on the bike. Not a
    common combo. But I have to hand it to her: she's a dedicated commuter.

    The reason it is not so common is that, it is NOT a very good pannier setup. I bought such a rack
    from Cheapskates for $25 and the side that held the pannier from flopping BROKE after just 10
    commutes. It went into the spokes and took out the whole wheel plus the rear derailleur. Suffice to
    say, after $150 in repair charges later on (new wheel plus new derailleur), I decided NOT to use
    this [censored] and went with the Old Man Mountain Sherpa instead.

  13. I just built-up my commuter, so bear with me (see attached photo). Bianchi San Remo (ca 198X -- I think) w/ a cantiliver front and caliper rear. I run knobbies because we get a load of snow in Utah. I also have a hodge-podge of mid- to low-end Shimano components on it (STX, RSX, 105, original shimano front der., caliper brakes, and downtube shifters), w/ the exception of an XT headset (1" threaded).

    A question for those of you with commuter bikes:
    Could anyone recommend fenders for 700c x 40 tires on my chromo fork? Any preferred brands?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.