General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Oatmeal in the muicrowave?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 15 posts · 349 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 January 2006
Last activity
3 February 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
349
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    Winter is here, I'd like a good sticking breakfast but mid-morning -- I
    can't tolerate breakfast first thing in the a.m. before rushing off to
    work on those rare early days. But I have a micro at work. I don't
    think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    be old age.

    Any ideas?

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    be old age.

    Any ideas?

    Yeah. Old age. "-)
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

  3. Quoted message said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot.


    I have a micro at work.

    Quoted message said:

    But I can't get it to work.

    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas?

    The directions used to be on the oatmeal boxes. Are they not still? I
    just put the oatmeal and water in the bowl and microwave on high for
    2-3 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave. It may take a
    minute longer or a minute less.

  4. Quoted post said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    half a cup rolled oats
    1 cup of water (or milk)
    pinch of salt (optional)
    microwave on 50% for 5-6 minutes.

    When done, stir in butter/margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts, raisins or
    other things that sound good to you.

    --
    To email, replace Cujo with Juno

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    Winter is here, I'd like a good sticking breakfast but mid-morning -- I
    can't tolerate breakfast first thing in the a.m. before rushing off to
    work on those rare early days. But I have a micro at work. I don't
    think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    be old age.

    Any ideas?

    I've done it in the nuker, but it nearly always makes a mess. ;-)

    I use a covered corningware. A deeper one should prevent the mess.

    2.5 cups of liquid (I use skim milk) per cup of oatmeal.
    Nuke until done. It's been awhile but I think it was 5 minutes for a 1
    cup recipe..............................

    Add cinnamon and sweetner to taste, put a pat of butter in the center
    when it's plated. ;-d Surround with a moat of 1/2 and 1/2.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  6. Quoted message said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    My package of Quaker Oats says:
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup water
    pinch of salt

    Nuke for 2 minutes.

    Works for me nicely 🙂 never makes a mess and you're right, saves a
    pot. I do it in a bowl that is a tad deep, perhaps 1.5 quart size or
    smaller??

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    Winter is here, I'd like a good sticking breakfast but mid-morning -- I
    can't tolerate breakfast first thing in the a.m. before rushing off to
    work on those rare early days. But I have a micro at work. I don't
    think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    be old age.

    Any ideas?

    Nah, it's not old age. I'm older than dirt but I can do it. Try a half cup
    of oats, a cup of milk or water (or a combination of both), and nuke it in a
    deep bowl for 2-3 minutes on high. I believe the trick is the deep bowl, and
    not just your basic cereal bowl.

    This is how I do McCann's quick-cooking and it's great. For the Real McCann,
    you gotta use long-cooking on the stove, and that's for weekends.

    Felice

  8. Felice Friese said:

    This is how I do McCann's quick-cooking and it's great. For the Real McCann,
    you gotta use long-cooking on the stove, and that's for weekends.

    Haven't tried their quick cook. Didn't even know they
    had one

    Is it good?

  9. Felice Friese said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas?

    Try using a big 4-8 cup glass measuring cup to cook it
    in.

  10. I do mine that way all the time... I use a paper bowl too because I
    *hate* cleaning outmeal out of a pan.

    As everyone else has said, the trick is to use a deep bowl because the
    oatmeal mix will swell up and go over the rim. The way I avoid that
    and still use a relatively shallow bowl, is to set the timer for half
    the time (1 1/2 min. for the c I use), then set it to "stand" 1 min,
    then to cook again for the other 1 1/2 minutes... this allows it to
    cool and settle back down before it rises again. You may have to play
    with the times though depending on the height of your bowl, how much
    oatmeal and water you use, and the heat setting your choose.

    (I like mine a little drier so I can add milk around the islands of
    cooked oatmeal, so my recipe is 1/2 c oatmeal to 3/4 c water.)

    Diane B.

  11. Quoted message said:

    I do mine that way all the time... I use a paper bowl too because I
    *hate* cleaning outmeal out of a pan.

    As everyone else has said, the trick is to use a deep bowl because the
    oatmeal mix will swell up and go over the rim. The way I avoid that
    and still use a relatively shallow bowl, is to set the timer for half
    the time (1 1/2 min. for the c I use), then set it to "stand" 1 min,
    then to cook again for the other 1 1/2 minutes... this allows it to
    cool and settle back down before it rises again. You may have to play
    with the times though depending on the height of your bowl, how much
    oatmeal and water you use, and the heat setting your choose.

    (I like mine a little drier so I can add milk around the islands of
    cooked oatmeal, so my recipe is 1/2 c oatmeal to 3/4 c water.)

    Diane B.


    Of course nuking it is very efficient, but if you should ever have to
    clean a pot again: have you ever tried soaking it in cold water
    overnight? Then everything comes out easily.

  12. jake said:

    Of course nuking it is very efficient, but if you should ever have to
    clean a pot again: have you ever tried soaking it in cold water
    overnight? Then everything comes out easily.

    my husband leaves an oatmeal pot in the sink daily, filled with cold
    water. But they wash up in no time if you do it while warm. It isn't a
    big deal to do it by hand right off. If it has sat a while, my
    dishwasher makes short order of it. Although I'm not sure why he can't
    find the dishwasher himself?? He has this idea that it needs to soak
    when it really doesn't?
    Oatmeal has met its match in me! I'm not afraid! LOL I still do my
    serving of oatmeal in the microwave cause when I come home in the
    morning after a long night, it is just easier to nuke it.

  13. Quoted message said:

    OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.

    I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of instant,
    nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But it's
    been a while, and I can't figure it out.

    Winter is here, I'd like a good sticking breakfast but mid-morning -- I
    can't tolerate breakfast first thing in the a.m. before rushing off to
    work on those rare early days. But I have a micro at work. I don't
    think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    be old age.

    Any ideas?

    1 cup of quick oats*
    1.75 cups of filtered water or any liquid when you get bored
    2 minutes and 23 seconds at 1200 watts microwave output
    okay 2 minutes and 25 seconds 🙂

    i find that the Quick-type oats cooks quick enough that it does not
    boil over in a 2 or 2.5 liter casserole dish with a simple glass cover.

    in a smaller dish, watch out.

    or if using regular Oats, steel cut, or the fancy kinds or the oat
    brans, they are more interesting, but they need much longer cooking
    times and boom, they foam/boil out of the dish.

    i garnish with some butter or substitue or yogurt or tuna fish (don't
    ask) or ... don't ask
    it's a great filler, almost as good as noodles for comfort

  14. jake said:


    Of course nuking it is very efficient, but if you should ever have to
    clean a pot again: have you ever tried soaking it in cold water
    overnight? Then everything comes out easily.

    I used to make oatmeal porridge in 4 serving batches and nuke the
    leftovers. It just didn't do it for me. It really is better done fresh on
    the stove. I am pretty lax when I cook it. I put the water on and add the
    oatmeal and a bit of salt, and come back to turn it down when it boils. I
    stir it around and set the timer for 10 minutes. Then I stir it and put the
    top on and let it sit for a minute or two.. Not only does the rest period
    help the texture of the oatmeal, it loosens it from the pot and makes clean
    up a breeze.

  15. On 30 Jan 2006 19:30:03 -0800, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    connected the dots and wrote:

    ~OK, don't laugh. Well, go ahead.
    ~
    ~I used to know how to cook oatmeal in the microwave, rather than
    ~dirtying a pot. And no, I don't mean those paper envelopes of
    instant,
    ~nor even the "quick cooking" oats. Thkis was the real stuff. But
    it's
    ~been a while, and I can't figure it out.
    ~
    ~Winter is here, I'd like a good sticking breakfast but mid-morning --
    I
    ~can't tolerate breakfast first thing in the a.m. before rushing off
    to
    ~work on those rare early days. But I have a micro at work. I don't
    ~think I even used milk, just water. But I can't get it to work. Must
    ~be old age.
    ~
    ~Any ideas?

    5 minutes on half-power. Use milk. Makes it creamier when it's done.

    maxine in ri

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.