Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Not the best start to the commuting week...

Started by Hippy · · Last activity · 31 posts · 2,179 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 July 2004
Last activity
9 July 2004
Original author
Hippy
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,179
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. thehippy.net20040704 204 0436 SFW10pc.jpg
    thehippy.net20040704 204 0437 SFW10pc.jpg

    hippy

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Hippy
    thehippy.net20040704 204 0436 SFW10pc.jpg
    thehippy.net20040704 204 0437 SFW10pc.jpg

    hippy

    Why is there never a Mavic neutral support vehicle when you need one?

    Ritch

  3. "ritcho" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Hippy said:

    thehippy.net20040704
    204_0436_SFW10pc.jpg thehippy.net20040704
    204_0437_SFW10pc.jpg

    Why is there never a Mavic neutral support vehicle when
    you need one?

    There was a CONNEX support vehicle nearby but they only
    provide a sag-wagon service, no spares.. ;-)

    hippy

  4. Well, you'll be pleased to know I proved the Golden Rule on Sunday's alternative 'wuss-ride'...

    Get 4 kms from home and we realise: [censored]... no pump. Oh well, keep going, it's all bike paths so we should be ok.

    Half way through ride - pffffft! My buddy grabs a puncture and comes hobbling up with a look of fateful acceptance of the inevitable laws of cycling nature... Luckily, we punctured just 100m short of Kanteen where there were many other cyclists, so borrowed a pump (Yay!) and got to fixing...

    Had patches, no spare tube. So of course, not only was it punctured, but the valve had torn too... Double [censored].

    Settle in for a few long coffees while we call the support vehicle (significant other to the rescue!) and await rescue...

    Could've been worse, but it was turning into a beautiful ride day. Such a shame...

    Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No matter what... (Of course, today I've forgotten tire levers so I'm praying for a merciful God on the way home...)

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by eddiec
    Well, you'll be pleased to know I proved the Golden Rule on Sunday's alternative 'wuss-ride'...

    Get 4 kms from home and we realise: [censored]... no pump. Oh well, keep going, it's all bike paths so we should be ok.

    Half way through ride - pffffft! My buddy grabs a puncture and comes hobbling up with a look of fateful acceptance of the inevitable laws of cycling nature... Luckily, we punctured just 100m short of Kanteen where there were many other cyclists, so borrowed a pump (Yay!) and got to fixing...

    Had patches, no spare tube. So of course, not only was it punctured, but the valve had torn too... Double [censored].

    Settle in for a few long coffees while we call the support vehicle (significant other to the rescue!) and await rescue...

    Could've been worse, but it was turning into a beautiful ride day. Such a shame...

    Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No matter what... (Of course, today I've forgotten tire levers so I'm praying for a merciful God on the way home...)

    Kanteen ? wozzat??

    you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND mobie to call 'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by flyingdutch
    Kanteen ? wozzat??

    you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND mobie to call 'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

    Kanteen - outdoorsy style cafe just opposite Herring Island down near Como Park in South Yarra... along the Yarra trail and hence much frequented by the recreational cyclist.. Very nice, if a tad breezy (although they do provide blankets which was much appreciated!)

    Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless + pucture goo option... Not totally convinced yet!

  7. "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless +
    pucture goo option... Not totally convinced yet!

    There was a couple of big threads about Stan's No Tubes
    ages ago. They sounds pretty damn good - better than a
    "proper" tubless setup coz you can use normal tyres. Google
    for "Stan's". I remember having a big property investment
    discussion with the guy (jason king??) so search for
    'property' 'italy' 'trials' 'positive gearing' and he had
    undersprung forks... ahh memories.. ;-) www.mtbr.com or
    www.farkin.net will have people ranting or raving about
    them too..

    hippy

  8. "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No
    matter what...

    Of course, at some stage prior to today, I had removed these
    from my bag... usually for commute punctures, it's quicker
    to jump on a train rather than repair it anyway - so I did.

    hippy

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Hippy
    "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless +
    pucture goo option... Not totally convinced yet!



    There was a couple of big threads about Stan's No Tubes
    ages ago. They sounds pretty damn good - better than a
    "proper" tubless setup coz you can use normal tyres. Google
    for "Stan's". I remember having a big property investment
    discussion with the guy (jason king??) so search for
    'property' 'italy' 'trials' 'positive gearing' and he had
    undersprung forks... ahh memories.. ;-) www.mtbr.com or
    www.farkin.net will have people ranting or raving about
    them too..

    hippy

    Stan's would be the option if I went that way... and you're right, heaps of people do rave, but a significant number also speak very poorly of the system and its complicated, not-entirely-foolproof set up...

    In some ways I like the simplicity of the ol' inner tube... hmmm... dilemmas...

  10. "flyingdutch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND
    mobie to


    call

    Quoted message said:

    'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

    Ahh.. so that's what wives are for!

    hippy

  11. darling did you start on that diet you are always
    talking about?

    --

    "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    thehippy.net20040704
    204_0436_SFW10pc.jpg thehippy.net20040704
    204_0437_SFW10pc.jpg

    hippy

  12. eddiec wrote:

    ...

    Quoted message said:


    Settle in for a few long coffees while we call the support
    vehicle (significant other to the rescue!) and await
    rescue...

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Could've been worse, but it was turning into a beautiful
    ride day. Such a shame...

    Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No
    matter what... (Of course, today I've forgotten tire
    levers so I'm praying for a merciful God on the way
    home...)

    Teaspoons make good tyre-levers (in exactly the same way
    that cold, annoyed fingers don't.)

    One lucky person, u, with the understanding SO!

    fn aka p

  13. I'll swap you.

    On monday morning i was riding to the start of the north road ride and a car collected me - he said he did not see me!. I managed to fracture to vertebrae's in my spine - looks like i will not be on my bike(s) for a while. I suppose it could of been a lot worse

    :-(

  14. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by bag_head
    I'll swap you.

    On monday morning i was riding to the start of the north road ride and a car collected me - he said he did not see me!. I managed to fracture to vertebrae's in my spine - looks like i will not be on my bike(s) for a while. I suppose it could of been a lot worse


    :-(

    Bugger that sucks! How long you off for? Which vertebrae?

    I had an accident and fractured my C4 vertebra (my neck). Difference is, I didn't see the car rather than the car driver not seeing me.

    Neckbrace comes off on July 30 and I can't wait.

  15. I think it's T11 & T12 - I will see a specialist later in the week , but the doctor said 6-8 weeks for full recovery. so it looks like i may have to wait a bit longer than you.

    on a positive note - the weather is crappy anyway!

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by jazmo
    Bugger that sucks! How long you off for? Which vertebrae?

    I had an accident and fractured my C4 vertebra (my neck). Difference is, I didn't see the car rather than the car driver not seeing me.

    Neckbrace comes off on July 30 and I can't wait.

  16. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by bag_head
    I'll swap you.

    On monday morning i was riding to the start of the north road ride and a car collected me - he said he did not see me!. I managed to fracture to vertebrae's in my spine - looks like i will not be on my bike(s) for a while. I suppose it could of been a lot worse


    :-(

    damn! get well soon and all that

    enjoy the TdF whilst you recover...

  17. Had to get in early today. set off at 5:15am into the gloom.

    had a rough rubbing sound coming from the back wheel.
    brakes were rubbing. tried adjusting things. after 500m i got sick of it and just un-engaged the rear Vbrakes.

    On my way again, and then WHAM!!!

    Back tyre literally exploded. Rim had blown out on the right side. a strip of about 8inches long was split along the rim rendering the wheel and my ride dead

    Off at the shop getting fixed.

    Oh well, 7 years of solid commuting and mtb'ing on it aint bad value.

    I know. I NEED A NEW BIKE!!!😄 😄 😄
    (sadly the new Powerbook has burnt a hole in the finances)

  18. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by flyingdutch
    Had to get in early today. set off at 5:15am into the gloom.

    had a rough rubbing sound coming from the back wheel.
    brakes were rubbing. tried adjusting things. after 500m i got sick of it and just un-engaged the rear Vbrakes.

    On my way again, and then WHAM!!!

    Back tyre literally exploded. Rim had blown out on the right side. a strip of about 8inches long was split along the rim rendering the wheel and my ride dead

    Off at the shop getting fixed.

    Oh well, 7 years of solid commuting and mtb'ing on it aint bad value.

    I know. I NEED A NEW BIKE!!!😄 😄 😄
    (sadly the new Powerbook has burnt a hole in the finances)

    Is that rim or tyre that exploded? I've heard of sidewalls popping over the bead or failing, but a rim breaking is a pretty rare event. Kudos to you if you wore your rim through!

    Ritch

  19. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by ritcho
    Is that rim or tyre that exploded? I've heard of sidewalls popping over the bead or failing, but a rim breaking is a pretty rare event. Kudos to you if you wore your rim through!
    Ritch

    Come and look at the rear wheel on my ss... it's looking
    quite shabby with a thin section in the middle!

    My front tyre wasn't seated properly this morning either so I had
    this annoying fsst fsst fsst fsst all the way in... and the knowledge
    that the tyre could go boom soon.. as has happened to me when I've left these things go before...

    Ahh.. bikes.. gotta love 'em

    hippy
    "I'll fix it tonight.. really... I will.. really.."

  20. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by hippy
    Come and look at the rear wheel on my ss... it's looking
    quite shabby with a thin section in the middle!

    My front tyre wasn't seated properly this morning either so I had
    this annoying fsst fsst fsst fsst all the way in... and the knowledge
    that the tyre could go boom soon.. as has happened to me when I've left these things go before...

    Ahh.. bikes.. gotta love 'em

    hippy
    "I'll fix it tonight.. really... I will.. really.."

    I'm happy to believe the rim was worn through, it just doesn't happen to many people, that's all.

    Whilst I'll admit that I'm a bit of novice when it comes to maintenance, I'm pretty sure that you'll want to seat the tyre on the rim properly... or else.

    Ritch.

    PS. In sympathy with the crashes in the TDF, I threw my bike down the gravel with myself included for good measure: Transition to gravel + corner + too much speed + front wheel wash out = ouch. Luckily I escaped with only a little skin off and the fact that no-one saw it. Bike was fine, but somewhat annoyed at me (for some reason)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.