UK and Europe · Public discussion

Norwich Road (Ipswich) traffic signals

Started by Mr R@t \(2.30zi\) · · Last activity · 27 posts · 1,249 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 July 2006
Last activity
5 July 2006
Original author
Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,249
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I commute from town to the Claydon area every weekday; this is fine apart
    from one minor problem on the journey back (from Claydon to Ipswich suburbs)

    There is a bike lane on the Norwich road in both directions. The Northbound
    direction is a bit thin (but useable); on the Southbound direction you can
    use the bus lane (as is common in many other towns and cities).

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).

    Anyone else noticed this? Am I just being impatient? (I usually give it
    about 30 seconds or so)

    When I lived in Reading lots of traffic signals did seem to recognise bikes
    and react accordingly.

    Is it worth notifying SCC Highways dept about this problem? It seems minor
    but I don't want to put myself in danger or keep breaking the law
    (particularly in a town which prides itself on a "Summer of Zero
    Tolerance"!)

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  2. Following on from Mr R@t (2.30zi)'s message. . .

    Quoted message said:

    I commute from town to the Claydon area every weekday; this is fine apart
    from one minor problem on the journey back (from Claydon to Ipswich suburbs)

    There is a bike lane on the Norwich road in both directions. The Northbound
    direction is a bit thin (but useable); on the Southbound direction you can
    use the bus lane (as is common in many other towns and cities).

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).

    Anyone else noticed this? Am I just being impatient? (I usually give it
    about 30 seconds or so)


    You are absolutely right. You could die of old age if you used the bus
    lane. I found that out a long time ago. From memory there are about
    three sets, of which the first two (from Claydon) are fairly easy to
    negotiate by forcing your way into the 'car' lane. (Assertive cycling
    called for - no problem if you know how) but the one as you approach the
    double roundabout on what used to be the bypass is a swine to plan for
    sensibly.

    Quoted message said:

    When I lived in Reading lots of traffic signals did seem to recognise bikes
    and react accordingly.

    Is it worth notifying SCC Highways dept about this problem? It seems minor
    but I don't want to put myself in danger or keep breaking the law
    (particularly in a town which prides itself on a "Summer of Zero
    Tolerance"!)

    SCC vary. In times past (when Liz Homer, now in charge of some farce at
    the Home office - need I say more?) was chief executive highways could
    do no wrong. Another time I have had instant success with reporting SCC
    to ?Go Eastern? (Some overseeing government office) which got stupid
    lines changed (on the way in from Claydon - can't recall the first
    settlement you get to - with the cobbles) - Others in this NG have had
    varying success : Perhaps the simplest way to explain it is that: As per
    most CCs, Suffolk have low-calibre staff who do the best they can, and
    sometimes recognise they've missed the target, own up and get on with
    it.

    PS While you're at it ask them why Ipswich town centre has no cycle
    parking in the central area. - PATHETIC.
    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust
    [email hidden]
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists

  3. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    I commute from town to the Claydon area every weekday; this is fine apart
    from one minor problem on the journey back (from Claydon to Ipswich suburbs)

    There is a bike lane on the Norwich road in both directions. The Northbound
    direction is a bit thin (but useable); on the Southbound direction you can
    use the bus lane (as is common in many other towns and cities).

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).

    Anyone else noticed this? Am I just being impatient? (I usually give it
    about 30 seconds or so)

    When I lived in Reading lots of traffic signals did seem to recognise bikes
    and react accordingly.

    Is it worth notifying SCC Highways dept about this problem? It seems minor
    but I don't want to put myself in danger or keep breaking the law
    (particularly in a town which prides itself on a "Summer of Zero
    Tolerance"!)

    Alex

    I had this problem at a set of traffic lights in Wakefield.Reported it
    to the Highways Dept. who said there was nothing wrong with the sensors
    and you had to ensure that you cycled over the logo on the road as that
    was where the sensors were buried.

    However I noticed a couple of days later that there were some workmen at
    the junction and there has never been a problem since.

    So yes,it is worth reporting .

    Sam Salt

  4. Sam Salt said:

    So yes,it is worth reporting .

    The lights near where I lived usually picked up bikes no problem,
    probably because they were relatively new but surprising as there were
    toucan crossings over every lane and they expected cyclists to use that
    route!

    One night the traffic lights for the 'turning right' filter lane went
    haywire - all traffic was stopped, the toucan lights went to red but
    mine never changed to green! The toucan lights then went back to green
    and the other traffic was allowed to go. It did this a few times in
    quick succession before I gave up and 'jumped the red' and used the
    crossing instead.

    The lights continued doing this all night although they were OK by the
    morning (maybe it was because it was so cold that night). I rpoerted
    it to the council (Leicestershire) and never recieved a reply but a
    couple of days later there were some workmen fiddling in the cabinets
    so I think they were investigating. Leics CC also set up a system for
    reporting fly tipping which I used not long ago. I receieved a phone
    call about some hotspots I reported the day after and then an email a
    week later saying they'd removed a couple of tons of rubbish.

    peter

    peter

  5. "Peter Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    SCC vary. In times past (when Liz Homer, now in charge of some farce at


    the Home office - need I say more?) was chief executive highways could do
    no wrong. Another time I have had instant success with reporting SCC to
    ?Go Eastern? (Some overseeing government office) which got stupid lines
    changed (on the way in from Claydon - can't recall the first settlement
    you get to - with the cobbles)

    If you mean the first urban bit of Ipswich coming in Southbound from Claydon
    think this is the Whitton estate (a place with a less than savoury
    reputation). I used to live there as a temporary measure when I first moved
    here; every day I had to haul my bike and panniers up a flight of steps and
    keep it *inside* the flat for security.

    I did notice the remnants of some lines and wondered what had happened
    there.

    I believe its Government Office for the East (GO-EAST) who oversee these
    things. Based in Cambridge IIRC.

    Quoted message said:

    most CCs, Suffolk have low-calibre staff who do the best they can, and
    sometimes recognise they've missed the target, own up and get on with it.

    I have been told they have outsourced everything and you are often actually
    speaking to BT call centre operators in the first instance.

    With all these people I tend to demand the call log number (it is not always
    instantly offered) and make a futher call at a later date to check progress.

    Quoted message said:

    PS While you're at it ask them why Ipswich town centre has no cycle
    parking in the central area. - PATHETIC.

    Which bit is the "central" area? I noticed some stands by the Granny statue
    and some others near a new Action Bikes store. There are some but they seem
    like there may not be enough at peak times.

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  6. In article <[email hidden]>

    Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    I commute from town to the Claydon area every weekday; this is fine apart
    from one minor problem on the journey back (from Claydon to Ipswich suburbs)

    There is a bike lane on the Norwich road in both directions. The Northbound
    direction is a bit thin (but useable); on the Southbound direction you can
    use the bus lane (as is common in many other towns and cities).

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).


    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

  7. "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    thanks for this... but

    I *already* try and ride in the middle of what I *think* is the detector
    loop (there is some diamond-shaped pattern of bitumen on the road, as if its
    been cut open to put the loop in and the bitumen then poured over the loop
    to seal the road surface)

    but nothing seems to happen. It seems like the loop has been set for buses
    as these make the signal work as it should.

    Alex

    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  8. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    Which bit is the "central" area? I noticed some stands by the Granny statue
    and some others near a new Action Bikes store. There are some but they seem
    like there may not be enough at peak times.

    Bury St Edmunds is worse for parking, although I agree there's not
    enough in Ipswich

    Also their bike lanes are very useless as well, some bad one's I've
    noticed are:

    Western Way, lots here which seem to end suddenly in silly places, and
    even worse the Newmarket Road/Out Risby Gate past the college - here the
    bike lanes move on and off the path in places. Is very dangerous in
    places with the kerbs etc.

    They seem to have done better in Colchester, which keeps me happy as
    that's where I am most often with the bike - just wish they'd sort the
    problem on the train, either there's people stacking luggage or babies
    in the bike racks, can be particularly bad at the weekend when we get
    those awful 153s with the narrowest doorway at the bike rack end!

  9. In article <[email hidden]>

    Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:


    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    thanks for this... but

    I *already* try and ride in the middle of what I *think* is the detector
    loop (there is some diamond-shaped pattern of bitumen on the road, as if its
    been cut open to put the loop in and the bitumen then poured over the loop
    to seal the road surface)

    but nothing seems to happen. It seems like the loop has been set for buses
    as these make the signal work as it should.


    Maybe you need to carry a bit of metal on a string and drop it in just
    the right place :-)

  10. In article said:

    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    thanks for this... but

    I *already* try and ride in the middle of what I *think* is the detector
    loop (there is some diamond-shaped pattern of bitumen on the road, as if its
    been cut open to put the loop in and the bitumen then poured over the loop
    to seal the road surface)

    but nothing seems to happen. It seems like the loop has been set for buses
    as these make the signal work as it should.

    In Cambridge we have a bus and cycle lane with a light that only turns
    green for bus transponders, and has no detectors for cycles.
    So I cycle through the red light on the grounds that's legal if the lights
    are broken. (I did report it to the council, who have no plans to fix
    the design flaw.)

  11. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    I commute from town to the Claydon area every weekday; this is fine apart
    from one minor problem on the journey back (from Claydon to Ipswich suburbs)

    There is a bike lane on the Norwich road in both directions. The Northbound
    direction is a bit thin (but useable); on the Southbound direction you can
    use the bus lane (as is common in many other towns and cities).

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).

    Anyone else noticed this?

    Yes

    Quoted message said:

    Am I just being impatient? (I usually give it
    about 30 seconds or so)

    No

    Generally, I used to use [2] the car lane. However, at the first set
    (not counting the ones where Old Norwich Road joins the new road - where
    The Crown used to be) if both lanes were red, I used to just go through
    on the bus lane ones. Naughty, I know, but those lights didn't really
    control anything apart from who gets to the next light first. There is
    no source of conflicting traffic. The next light is only about thirty
    yards on and that is at a proper junction, so I'd treat those properly.

    The next set is car lane every time - unless a bus has just passed you
    [1] and has triggered the lights. The final set, just before the double
    roundabout, I always used the car lane one - especially as I used to
    turn right at the roundabout. That set's changed now, anyway - the bus
    lane has been done away with.

    Quoted message said:

    When I lived in Reading lots of traffic signals did seem to recognise bikes
    and react accordingly.


    When I rode a Kirk, it would never trigger those Norwich Road lights, a
    steel bike would... eventually. I felt happier about ignoring that one
    red on the Kirk, 'cos I could claim that the lights weren't working
    properly. Incidentally, I've seen a very similar set of lights to that
    in Cambridge but the Cambridge ones had a green cycle filter light that
    cam on when the others were red.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it worth notifying SCC Highways dept about this problem? It seems minor
    but I don't want to put myself in danger or keep breaking the law
    (particularly in a town which prides itself on a "Summer of Zero
    Tolerance"!)


    [1] I used to mainly use the bus lanes, except at the lights. At busy
    times, I would also pull out into the car lane if a bus came up behind
    be, and allow it through on my inside. When the traffic wasn't busy,
    the buses have no trouble pulling out to overtake anyway. Mind you, the
    buses can creep up on you without you realising - they're actually a lot
    quieter than the car traffic.

    [2] In the days when I worked in Ipswich. I still cycle to Ipswich once
    a week but I go right over the other side of town now. I still come up
    Whitton Hill, but I avoid Norwich Road by going into Whitton Church
    Lane, through the estate, in on Henley Road and round the by-pass [3].
    That also cuts out all the hills.

    [3] The "by-pass" in Ipswich traditionally refers to what any other town
    would call the ring road.

    --
    Andrew

  12. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    One problem is that travelling Southbound, there are traffic lights
    presumably for the bus and cycle lane - but the detectors do not trigger so
    I end up either having to wait for a bus to trigger them or having to wait
    for the traffic in the other lane to not pose a hazard and then run the red
    light (which I do not like doing).

    Anyone else noticed this? Am I just being impatient? (I usually give it
    about 30 seconds or so)

    There's one of these in Oxford on Botley Road, just before you reach the
    station. If the traffic's not bad I just tend to merge into the normal
    traffic and go through on the car side. If the traffic's bad I tend to
    just run the red light which isperfectly safe as the bus lane ends just
    after this light and there's a cycle lane when it goes to one lane but
    you have to wonder why they designed the road like that at all.

    Andy


  13. Quoted message said:

    -http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    I think I'll send this link to North Somerset council. I have to cycle
    past a red light at the end of a cyclepath/garage access/footpath that
    just doesn't detect my bike, and has no push-button (and comes out on a
    blind junction with no ped crossing) I always put down the non-sensing
    of my bike to the fact that it's aluminium, but it seems that isn't the
    case.

    Alan Braggins said the following on 02/07/2006 17:50:

    Quoted message said:

    So I cycle through the red light on the grounds that's legal if the lights
    are broken.

    I'm not sure that's actually true. I seem to remember a while ago that
    if a motorist came to a red light that wouldn't change, they were
    supposed to turn around and find another route (yeah, right!) Mind you,
    in WSM it seems that traffic light colour is irrelevant anyway :-(

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  14. Paul Boyd said:


    Alan Braggins said the following on 02/07/2006 17:50:

    Quoted message said:

    So I cycle through the red light on the grounds that's legal if the lights
    are broken.

    I'm not sure that's actually true. I seem to remember a while ago that
    if a motorist came to a red light that wouldn't change, they were
    supposed to turn around and find another route (yeah, right!) Mind you,
    in WSM it seems that traffic light colour is irrelevant anyway :-(

    I think you are mistaken.

    It is permitted to pass lights that are faulty. More interesting is
    whether a set of lights showing permanent red and not changing is
    faulty. The only time I've seen an actually convincing legal bod
    address this was some expert motoring law judge chappy that said (from
    memory) that a motorist who comes across a set of lights that is red
    and does not change, who waits a sufficient period of time, then
    proceeds slowly carefully and cautiously past teh lights, would be
    guilty of an offence. However, he would hope that no-one would be so
    stupid as to prosecute such an offence. If the case ever came to
    court, the correct response of teh court would be an unconditional
    discharge.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  15. Ian Smith said the following on 03/07/2006 14:02:

    Quoted message said:

    I think you are mistaken.

    Entirely possible!

    Quoted message said:

    More interesting is
    whether a set of lights showing permanent red and not changing is
    faulty.

    That was the scenario I meant. A set of lights near me goes out all
    the time, but no lights means it's OK to proceed with caution (and the
    traffic flow is so much better!) What actually happens is that traffic
    on the main road continues at speed as if there was no junction, but
    because it is free-flowing there are plenty of gaps for traffic joining
    to get out safely.

    Quoted message said:

    The only time I've seen an actually convincing legal bod
    address this was some expert motoring law judge chappy that said (from
    memory) that a motorist who comes across a set of lights that is red
    and does not change, who waits a sufficient period of time, then
    proceeds slowly carefully and cautiously past teh lights, would be
    guilty of an offence.

    Which is pretty much what I said.

    Quoted message said:

    However, he would hope that no-one would be so
    stupid as to prosecute such an offence.

    Don't forget - this is the UK legal system we're talking about here ;-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  16. Paul Boyd <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    past a red light at the end of a cyclepath/garage access/footpath that

    Is that Summerlands Road and was it really a railway line?

    Quoted message said:

    in WSM it seems that traffic light colour is irrelevant anyway :-(

    Hell yeah. Can lead to some amusing situations. Amusing as long as
    you're not caught in the middle of them, that is.

    --
    MJR/slef
    http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/

  17. MJ Ray said the following on 03/07/2006 15:12:

    Quoted message said:

    Is that Summerlands Road and was it really a railway line?

    Summerlands Road runs alongside what was the Weston, Clevedon and
    Portishead Railway. The point at which the cyclepath ends at Ashcombe
    Road was the terminus, and what is now the chemist's shop was the
    stationmaster's house.

    If you're /really/ interested, have a look at http://www.wcandpr.org.uk/
    and http://www.portishead.f2s.com/wcpr/The_line_today/Weston_site.JPG
    shows the back of the lights in question!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  18. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    thanks for this... but

    I *already* try and ride in the middle of what I *think* is the detector
    loop (there is some diamond-shaped pattern of bitumen on the road, as if its
    been cut open to put the loop in and the bitumen then poured over the loop
    to seal the road surface)

    but nothing seems to happen. It seems like the loop has been set for buses
    as these make the signal work as it should.

    Alex

    this isn't the only set of lights in ipswich to either fail to trigger
    or not be syncronised. Going out of Ipswich the ther way, towards
    Suffolk College, via Eagle Street. When the lights change at the main
    junction, so do the ones at the other end of eagle street. It is a full
    on sprint to get through tem before they change again.

    Also, the traffic light on the A12 at Woodbridge/Hasketon, which are
    button triggered by peds/cyclists only seem to change when there is no
    traffic ... what use is that, plus some cars blindly ignore them as
    well. Suffolk CC have been informed, but nothing happened.

  19. "pete whelan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/green.htm

    thanks for this... but

    I *already* try and ride in the middle of what I *think* is the detector
    loop (there is some diamond-shaped pattern of bitumen on the road, as if
    its been cut open to put the loop in and the bitumen then poured over the
    loop to seal the road surface)

    but nothing seems to happen. It seems like the loop has been set for
    buses as these make the signal work as it should.

    Alex

    this isn't the only set of lights in ipswich to either fail to trigger or
    not be syncronised. Going out of Ipswich the ther way, towards Suffolk
    College, via Eagle Street. When the lights change at the main junction,
    so do the ones at the other end of eagle street. It is a full on sprint
    to get through tem before they change again.


    Would a small, rare-earth magnet be sufficient to trigger them? Just
    asking!
    Graham

  20. Paul Boyd said:

    Ian Smith said the following on 03/07/2006 14:02:

    Quoted message said:

    The only time I've seen an actually convincing legal bod
    address this was some expert motoring law judge chappy that said (from
    memory) that a motorist who comes across a set of lights that is red
    and does not change, who waits a sufficient period of time, then
    proceeds slowly carefully and cautiously past teh lights, would be
    guilty of an offence.

    Which is pretty much what I said.

    I don't think it is.

    You said such a motorist is "supposed to turn around and find another
    route" (direct quote). That does not look remotely like what I said.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.