General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

(northern) wild rice and herbs

Started by tert in seattle · · Last activity · 28 posts · 223 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 April 2007
Last activity
2 May 2007
Original author
tert in seattle
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
223
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

  2. tert in seattle said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Wild rice takes longer to cook than regular rice. I prefer a
    combination of wild and Basmati. Cook them separately, according to
    directions, then blend. I'd add the sage close to the beginning and
    the rosemary about 3/4 of the way. Cooking in stock (vegetable,
    chicken etc.) really adds flavor. Mushrooms are also wonderful as are
    craisins or dried cherries.

    Lynn in Fargo

  3. tert in seattle said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Those herbs with wild rice sound kinda "wierd" to me , [censored]...what's yer
    recipe, exactly...???

    --
    Best
    Greg

  4. tert in seattle said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    If you want to keep it simple use either rosemary or sage not both. I
    would probably add the herb to the meat/gravy course and leave the rice to
    be the flavor of wild rice.

    jay

  5. "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.


    I would add the herbs at the end. Are you using any other kind
    of rice with the wild rice? Most cook in less time than
    wild rice, so you would want to cook the wild rice ahead
    of time, then the white or brown rice later. I would add
    the herbs in the last ten minutes of the cook time.

    Sage and rosemary sound wonderful with wild rice, if you
    are mixing it with white or brown rice. Tarragon is nice, too,
    but would be overpowered by sage and rosemary.

  6. Gregory Morrow said:
    tert in seattle said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Those herbs with wild rice sound kinda "wierd" to me , [censored]...what's
    yer recipe, exactly...???

    The sage doesn't sound wierd but sage *and* rosemary does. I don't think
    tert has a "recipe", just trying to create one. Having said that, I'd add
    the herbs (whichever ones) at the same time as the wild rice into the
    cooking water, stock or broth. Oh, and salt & pepper.

    Jill

  7. "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Pack the herbs you want in a small piece of cheesecloth tied at the top. Put
    the packet into the water with the uncooked rice. When the rice is cooked throw
    away the packet.

    This will give you the flavor without biting into a piece of the herb(s).

    Dimitri

  8. tert in seattle said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that?  add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during?  None of the above (fill in the blank)?  I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Both sage and rosemary will over power the delicate nuances of wild
    rice. With wild rice go easy on seasoning especialy strongly flavored
    herbs, a little s n' p and a small sprig of parsley is about all, when
    cooked adjust seasoning, and a little butter is nice. Wild rice pairs
    well with other wild land viands, like wild mushrooms and hazelnuts
    (filberts). Serve wild rice with freshwater fish (pickerel, pike,
    whitefish, trout, those fish native to the waters where wild rice is
    found), never ever serve wild rice with seafood.

    Sheldon

  9. Dimitri said:

    "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.

    Pack the herbs you want in a small piece of cheesecloth tied at the top.


    Put

    Quoted message said:

    the packet into the water with the uncooked rice. When the rice is cooked


    throw

    Quoted message said:

    away the packet.

    This will give you the flavor without biting into a piece of the herb(s).

    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating some
    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay leaves,
    Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  10. Dimitri said:


    Pack the herbs you want in a small piece of cheesecloth tied at the top.
    Put the packet into the water with the uncooked rice. When the rice is
    cooked throw away the packet.

    That's a good idea.

  11. Gregory Morrow said:
    Dimitri said:

    "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you're going to make a dish with wild rice, and say you want
    to incorporate dried sage and fresh rosemary, how would you do
    that? add them while cooking the rice, after, or some time
    during? None of the above (fill in the blank)? I want to keep
    this one simple but I also want the flavors to harmonize.


    The sage may be used at any stage of cooking, though i would use to
    finish rather than cook with the rice, the rosemary OTOH especially
    fresh requires some time to cook and release its flavours and break down
    and not be "gritty" or fibrous in the food.

    Twigs of rosemary can be added to roasted or grilled meats, rosemary
    chicken is a well known dish, but the rosemary, unless dried and
    powdered needs extended cooking if it is not to be removed before serving.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pack the herbs you want in a small piece of cheesecloth tied at the top.

    A twig or two of rosemary laid on top of the cooking rice? some people
    just tie up a few herbs & celery & such with a piece of kitchen twin and
    don't bother with the cheese cloth.

    Quoted message said:


    Put

    Quoted message said:

    the packet into the water with the uncooked rice. When the rice is cooked

    throw

    Quoted message said:

    away the packet.

    This will give you the flavor without biting into a piece of the herb(s).

    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating some
    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay leaves,
    Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    Not a pleasant experience, i only use bay leaf in stocks, but i can see
    where you are coming from.
    --
    JL

  12. "Gregory Morrow" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating some
    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay
    leaves,
    Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    lol

    Could you be any more inept, you flabby-assed racist queen.

  13. Well... that was interesting. I will have to give it a few tries
    and then I'll get back to this thread. There is a little bit of
    truth in what everyone has to say.... everyone except Gregory
    Morrow that is! ha

  14. "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well... that was interesting. I will have to give it a few tries
    and then I'll get back to this thread. There is a little bit of
    truth in what everyone has to say.... everyone except Gregory
    Morrow that is! ha

    Are you just using wild rice, or adding it to white or brown?

    I am just curious, as I have never had wild rice alone before.

    It is great with herbs if you mix it with other rice. And, it's
    true about Rosemary being annoying to bite down on.

    The tea ball or bag is a good idea, OR you could just use
    ground spices.

  15. Greg said:

    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating some
    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay
    leaves, Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    If you still had a gag reflex, that wouldn't have been a problem.

    Bob

  16. "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Greg said:

    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating some
    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay
    leaves, Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    If you still had a gag reflex, that wouldn't have been a problem.

    LMAO!!!!

    Wahahaha! Now that was a nice one. 😄

  17. Bob Terwilliger said:
    Greg said:

    You know, after almost choking on a piece of bay leaf whilst eating


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    home - made soup I am going to buy a tea ball in which to place bay
    leaves, Herbs de Provence, peppercorns. and other such things...

    If you still had a gag reflex, that wouldn't have been a problem.

    "I put my hands into cyberSCAT's panties...everything was going fine for the
    moist part..."

    ;--D

    --
    Best
    Greg

  18. bert in brno a ecrit dans le message de news:

    Quoted message said:

    Well... that was interesting. I will have to give it a few tries
    and then I'll get back to this thread. There is a little bit of
    truth in what everyone has to say.... everyone except Gregory
    Morrow that is! ha

    What would T*sh*r say, TERT...???

    --
    Best
    Greg

  19. Quoted message said:


    "tert in seattle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well... that was interesting. I will have to give it a few tries
    and then I'll get back to this thread. There is a little bit of
    truth in what everyone has to say.... everyone except Gregory
    Morrow that is! ha

    Are you just using wild rice, or adding it to white or brown?

    I am just curious, as I have never had wild rice alone before.

    It is great with herbs if you mix it with other rice. And, it's
    true about Rosemary being annoying to bite down on.

    just wild rice for now

    my aunt sent me a bunch of the stuff ... it'll be a while
    before I run out

  20. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dimitri said:


    Pack the herbs you want in a small piece of cheesecloth tied at the top. Put
    the packet into the water with the uncooked rice. When the rice is cooked
    throw away the packet.

    That's a good idea.

    I wish I could claim I invented the technique, however it is the classic French
    technique for a Bouquet Garni.

    Dimitri

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.