rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Northern Virginia Trials and Muni Weekend

Started by maximus unius · · Last activity · 81 posts · 1,458 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
29 October 2007
Last activity
24 February 2008
Original author
maximus unius
Posts
81
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,458
Views / 30 days
26

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 81
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey everyone,

    Sometime this November or December I am going to be hosting a muni
    weekend up here in northern VA. I have a few of the details worked out,
    but it's pretty loose right now so I need to know a few things from
    whoever is going to try and make it. Right now it looks like this:

    *Friday afternoon*- natural trials at Difficult Run. This is a creek
    (or a run?) that runs alongside Difficult Run trail. It's part of Great
    Falls park. Even though this is a trail, don't be fooled. Here you can
    find some of the best natural trials spots in NoVa. There is stuff that
    beginers would find easy to stuff someone like Ryan Atkins would find
    hard. http://tinyurl.com/2d4wtp

    *Saturday*- Muni at Fountainhead Regional Park. Fountainhead park has a
    dedicated mountain bike trail. It's full loop is something like 10
    miles, but there are tons of shortcuts and such that can be taken. Some
    super-tech sections, lots of very steep uphill, short steep downhills,
    full of roots and rocks. It can be a really exhausting trail, so come
    with lots of water (although maybe thats because last time I did
    fountainhead it was close to 100 degrees out). [image:
    http://www.more-mtb.org/galleries/gal_imgs/1/0/4/4/fountainheadmay272003.gif]

    If there is anyone still around on Sunday and still can/want to ride
    then we can do anything from cruising around DC to natural at Chain
    Bridge to an XC ride at Great Falls.

    So the only problem with doing Friday at Difficult Run and Saturday at
    Fountainhead is that they are roughly 50 minutes apart. You could work
    out a way to sleep halfway inbetween the two or something. If at all
    possible, these two spots are for sure worth the drive.

    Dates-

    If possible I would like to do this the weekend after thanksgiving. If
    that doesn't work with you guys, then pick from these dates: November
    16-18, 23-25 (Thanksgiving weekend), nov. 30-dec. 2, Dec. 7-9, 14-16.

    Hope to see all you Richmond guys there, and whoever else can make it
    (maybe Philly area?).

    Max

    PS. Closer to the date I will be posting directions to difficult run
    and fountainhead.

    --
    maximus unius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. hmmm...

    --
    zfreak220

    pshf.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. sounds awesome...but that is pretty far when you cant drive. i wish i
    could but its just too darn far😠 . sorry:o 🙁

    --
    oneisenough

    Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong):p
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oneisenough's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14061
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. I should be down for a muni ride sometime. I am not sure which weekend
    works best for me though. I just met another unicyclist near me who
    just got a KH 29 who would probably be down as well.

    --
    siafirede

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

    Pump Air Not Gas
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Ok, a couple weekends no longer work for me, so the updated possible
    dates list for this weekend is:

    Nov. 16-18, 23-25 (thanksgiving weekend) Dec. 14-16, 21-23, 28-30

    So go ahead and post if you are gonna try to come, and what dates are
    best.

    Max

    --
    maximus unius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. thanksgiving weekend might be doable.

    --
    zfreak220

    pshf.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Not sure which weekend will work best, but I'll definitely make a
    concerted effort to come out, at least for Saturday. Glad you're
    putting this together, I think the Belle Isle Muni Weekend legacy has
    kinda run it's course. I'll see if Ryan Blunt or Local Max are
    interested.

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    "...or the confluence of rare meteorological phenomena."
    -George Peck
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Oh yeah, on all the weekends except for thanksgiving weekend I will have
    some floor space if you can do both days.

    --
    maximus unius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. I'm in if it's any time in december. Plus, that'll give me time to work
    on my muni skills...

    Edit: There was a Belle Isle muni weekend?!?! I've been there once
    before I could unicycle, and was just thinking the other day how
    awesome it would be...

    --
    SqueakyOnion

    I put the *emo* in h*emo*globin.

    Unicycling is little more than an elaborate game of losing your balance
    and catching it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SqueakyOnion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15513
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. im rather interested but it would help if you had exact dates. see if
    you can find the numbers to some hotels or camp grounds in the area
    also so people can book lodgings if coming. I think it would be about a
    3 hour drive for me but i would be happy to do it if I could get some
    details.

    --
    sutton629

    If at first you don't succeed... maybe skydiving isn't your sport
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sutton629's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. sutton629 said:

    im rather interested but it would help if you had exact dates. see if
    you can find the numbers to some hotels or camp grounds in the area
    also so people can book lodgings if coming. I think it would be about a
    3 hour drive for me but i would be happy to do it if I could get some
    details.

    If you are coming from North Carolina it will definitely be more than 3
    hours.

    Also, I am pretty sure that if this thing happens you could just stay
    at someones house up here. Lodging is pretty expensive in Northern VA.

    --
    siafirede

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

    Pump Air Not Gas
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. SqueakyOnion said:

    I'm in if it's any time in december. Plus, that'll give me time to work
    on my muni skills...

    Edit: There was a Belle Isle muni weekend?!?! I've been there once
    before I could unicycle, and was just thinking the other day how
    awesome it would be...

    There were 4 belle isle muni weekends. There is some footage up
    somewhere of the different years. It was a fun time the two years I
    went.

    --
    siafirede

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

    Pump Air Not Gas
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. sutton629 said:

    im rather interested but it would help if you had exact dates.

    Yeah, thats what I'm asking you. Tell me which dates work for you, and
    I'll try to please as many people as I can.

    --
    maximus unius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. A December date would work best for me, like maybe 14-16.

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    "...or the confluence of rare meteorological phenomena."
    -George Peck
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. oneisenough said:

    sounds awesome...but that is pretty far when you cant drive. i wish i
    could but its just too darn far😠 . sorry:o 🙁

    Are there any shuttle busses?

    I rode a bus from Boston to NYC in August. $15 each way. That could
    get you about half the distance, anyway. Maybee you can get a ride w/
    someone from there if there are no buses going to VA, or there isn't
    anyone who you can ride w/ the whole way.

    --
    skilewis74

    Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
    are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
    time do it along the way.
    Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
    get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. i live up in the corner of nc and im not exactly far from virginia
    anyways. Maybe december but ill talk it over and see if I am going to
    mexico or not.

    --
    sutton629

    If at first you don't succeed... maybe skydiving isn't your sport
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sutton629's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. I see if I can pop up from Cville, ill have to nix thanksgiving weekend,

    I might already be up in the area for the Dec 21-23 weekend but I think
    I should be able to make at least one of the two days which ever
    weekend is picked.

    --
    wumpus
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wumpus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11764
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. skilewis74 said:

    Are there any shuttle busses?

    I rode a bus from Boston to NYC in August. $15 each way. That could
    get you about half the distance, anyway. Maybee you can get a ride w/
    someone from there if there are no buses going to VA, or there isn't
    anyone who you can ride w/ the whole way.

    there are also 'buses from NYC to DC' (chinatownbus.org) for $25 round
    trip.

    as for me, i probably won't be able to participate in the natural
    trials, but i'd like to join you anyways and hopefully ride some muni

    --
    joshben
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joshben's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15743
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. I should be around for those weekends except the Dec 21-23rd one since I
    am heading down to Miami for xmas.

    I also don't think that I can partake in Friday events though since I
    have to work.

    If anyone would be interested... I could probably organize a long
    distance ride for the Sunday after whenever the muni ride is. Maybe
    around DC or just on the W&OD or something.

    --
    siafirede

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

    Pump Air Not Gas
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. siafirede said:

    I also don't think that I can partake in Friday events though since I
    have to work.

    Yeah, thats why I was thinking of doing it on thanksgiving weekend.

    --
    maximus unius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65243

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.