Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

No Hands Riding on Two Similar Bikes

Started by Colin Campbell · · Last activity · 11 posts · 565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 November 2007
Last activity
4 November 2007
Original author
Colin Campbell
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
565
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

  2. "Colin Campbell" wrote: Any other ideas?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Difference in trail?

  3. Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    Drifting to the right suggests an alignment problem. Have you checked
    the fork and the frame for alignment?

    Quoted message said:


    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    Differences in
    Head tube angle
    Fork offset
    Saddle tilt

    --
    Michael Press

  5. Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle. I
    bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    I don't think that matters. Head tube angle, fork rake, headset
    tightness make a difference and skill of course. I have six very
    different bikes and I can ride no hand for miles, including turns if
    traffic doesn't interfere. I grew up with bikes, because it was my major
    way of transportation in my youth, like for everyone here in the
    Netherlands.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

  6. Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    On my road bike my regular wheels weigh about 1100g more than my
    "climbing" wheels. The heavier wheels make riding no hands MUCH
    easier. The bike is much less twitchy too. This is just from switching
    the wheels.

    A less than perfect headset adjustment could also contribute, and
    cable length differences affecting how free the bars are to do there
    thing.

    Not to start another 200+ post thread about bike dynamics, but I think
    BOTH wheels should be switched for a real test.

    Joseph

  7. Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    Quoted message said:

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    Quoted message said:

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    Quoted message said:

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    Quoted message said:

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    Quoted message said:

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Quoted message said:

    Any other ideas?

    Differences in
    Head tube angle
    Fork offset
    Saddle tilt

    --
    Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    It's the same frame right? I think Trek has left things pretty much
    the same for 2002-2006. The fork did change though, so that could be
    it.

    My guess - I bet the headset on your difficult bike is loose. If you
    pull to one side consistently - Check Ozark's suggestion. The Trek
    rear dropouts do have a bit of a history of coming loose.

  8. Colin Campbell said:

    Yes, I'm the one who started this silliness while writing about what I
    did when it was too smoky to ride far.

    I've gotten a lot better at riding no hands. But I have two bikes that
    I ride alternately, and one is much easier to ride no hands than the
    other. I'm wondering why?

    My older bike is a 2003 Trek 5200. I substituted Campy Record
    components for the original Ultegra parts, and swapped my Campy / DT
    Swiss / Mavic 32-spoke wheels for the original Bontrager Race Lite
    wheels. This bike weighs approx 19 3/4 pounds (or ~9 kg).

    The newer bike is a 2006 Trek 5200. When I bought it, the shop made me
    a pretty good deal, crediting me for the Ultegra parts and the saddle.
    I bought Campy Record from them, supplied my own Flite saddle, and Trek
    swapped the Bontrager Race Lite Shimano-compatible wheels for
    Campy-compatible wheels at no charge. This bike is a bit over 1 pound
    lighter (or ~8.5 kg).

    The older bike is very stable when I sit up to ride hands free. Today,
    I rode over 1.6 km (1 mile) hands free - more than once. The newer bike
    is a lot twitchier. I've ridden it about 600 m hands free, on a
    slightly uphill street. I've ridden it on level streets, and downhill
    streets, too, but it seems to want to drift to the right, and to change
    direction with each pedal stroke.

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    Dear Colin,

    Alas, you're just an innocent victim in what follows . . .

    http://i10.tinypic.com/5xr5qia.jpg

    The secret to no-hands riding is to attach the seat to the front
    wheel, as shown in the illustration above from page 125 of Scott's
    1889 "Cycling Art, Energy, and Locomotion":

    http://books.google.com/books?id=rZQ1AAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=cycling+art+energy+locomotion&as_brr=1&ei=5VotR-XvL5SysgOdjbS6CQ

    Part Two of the book begins on page 205 and is devoted to making fun
    of increasingly bizarre bicycle patents--so bizarre that they demanded
    RBT-style sarcasm even in 1889.

    The combined bicycle and accordion patent speaks for itself, while the
    spoke pattern on page 298 should draw disapproving remarks from both
    JB and jb. Amazingly, the weird spoke pattern was used practically the
    Oldreive monstrosity, allowing the rider to get inside the silly
    thing:

    http://i10.tinypic.com/4qdcq6x.jpg

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  9. Colin Campbell said:

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    Check to make sure that one of the cables, brake or shifter, isn't too
    short (or too long, for that matter). It might be pulling on the bars
    enough to push you to one side.

    Either that, or it's an alignment issue.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
    no account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  10. Colin Campbell said:

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    Check to make sure that one of the cables, brake or shifter, isn't too
    short (or too long, for that matter). It might be pulling on the bars
    enough to push you to one side.

    Either that, or it's an alignment issue.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
    no account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  11. Colin Campbell said:

    My hypothesis is that the lighter front wheel makes a difference, but I
    haven't yet swapped front wheels to test the hypothesis.

    Any other ideas?

    Check to make sure that one of the cables, brake or shifter, isn't too
    short (or too long, for that matter). It might be pulling on the bars
    enough to push you to one side.

    Either that, or it's an alignment issue.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
    no account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.