Road Cycling · Public discussion

no cake left to take

Started by andy gee · · Last activity · 7 posts · 404 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 March 2006
Last activity
17 March 2006
Original author
andy gee
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
404
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here's a winner -- I'm jockeying for position on a rough, very crowded
    stretch of very upper Manhattan with a pimped out Honda Civic. It seems to
    me like the guy is driving blind, so I pull back out of harm's way. When I
    get a clear stretch, I pass him and look in the car to see what's up. He's
    got a driver's side TV going!

    As if having to take evasive action from helicopters isn't enough, last
    week I had to dodge a skier in Times Square. I was never actually in
    danger of hitting the skier or vice versa, but a ski slope had been set up
    for a publicity stunt or something, and when the eye sees an accelerating
    object's path cross the eye-owner's path, alarms go off.

    And now that it's almost Spring, the roller bladers are out. We have the
    John-John rule in New York, which gives bladers equal access to bike lanes,
    paths, routes, and greenways. But do they have to stick a puck along the
    path, or practice roller ballet, in a commuter area?

    --ag

  2. "andy gee" wrote: (clip) We have the John-John rule in New York, which
    gives bladers equal access to bike lanes, (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sorry, I misread it as "bladders" at first, and got some interesting mental
    images.

  3. andy gee [email hidden] wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a winner -- I'm jockeying for position on a rough, very crowded
    stretch of very upper Manhattan with a pimped out Honda Civic. It seems to
    me like the guy is driving blind, so I pull back out of harm's way. When I
    get a clear stretch, I pass him and look in the car to see what's up. He's
    got a driver's side TV going!


    What was he watching?

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4327481/

  4. andy gee said:

    Here's a winner -- I'm jockeying for position on a rough, very crowded
    stretch of very upper Manhattan with a pimped out Honda Civic. It seems to
    me like the guy is driving blind, so I pull back out of harm's way. When I
    get a clear stretch, I pass him and look in the car to see what's up. He's
    got a driver's side TV going!

    As if having to take evasive action from helicopters isn't enough, last
    week I had to dodge a skier in Times Square. I was never actually in
    danger of hitting the skier or vice versa, but a ski slope had been set up
    for a publicity stunt or something, and when the eye sees an accelerating
    object's path cross the eye-owner's path, alarms go off.

    And now that it's almost Spring, the roller bladers are out. We have the
    John-John rule in New York, which gives bladers equal access to bike lanes,
    paths, routes, and greenways. But do they have to stick a puck along the
    path, or practice roller ballet, in a commuter area?

    --ag

    Alla this sounds like a great idea for a bike commercial.

  5. andy gee said:

    Here's a winner -- I'm jockeying for position on a rough, very crowded
    stretch of very upper Manhattan with a pimped out Honda Civic. It seems to
    me like the guy is driving blind, so I pull back out of harm's way. When I
    get a clear stretch, I pass him and look in the car to see what's up. He's
    got a driver's side TV going!

    As if having to take evasive action from helicopters isn't enough, last
    week I had to dodge a skier in Times Square. I was never actually in
    danger of hitting the skier or vice versa, but a ski slope had been set up
    for a publicity stunt or something, and when the eye sees an accelerating
    object's path cross the eye-owner's path, alarms go off.

    And now that it's almost Spring, the roller bladers are out. We have the
    John-John rule in New York, which gives bladers equal access to bike lanes,
    paths, routes, and greenways. But do they have to stick a puck along the
    path, or practice roller ballet, in a commuter area?

    --ag

    Would that upper Manhattan stretch be Broadway in Washington Heights?

  6. Little Meow <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    What was he watching?

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4327481/

    That was funny. I think it was a telenovella (Spanish soap opera), but how
    could he get UHF in a car with no toaster to attach the wire hanger to?
    Maybe he recorded it to DVD. But this wasn't hidden at all, it was mounted
    right in the middle of the dash board above the radio, angled left.

    --ag

  7. justin david smith <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Would that upper Manhattan stretch be Broadway in Washington Heights?

    Slightly mas piquante -- 10th Ave from the greenway, under the tracks, to
    where it meets Bway. I have no idea why (and I forget every time I take
    that shortcut) why it still has cobblestones. Usually it takes an order
    from Landmarks Preservation to keep streets cobbled for historic purposes.
    My Manhattan grandparents used to live near there. I dimly recall my
    Grandma taking me to get a live chicken from a kosher butcher for some New
    Year ritual, and, in the plus ca change file, there on that stretch of 10th
    avenue is a host of "viveros," live chicken stores. I just love going back
    by bike to my old haunts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.